'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I liked that one. Bit all over the place but I liked how trippy and weird it was. I think this series has been really bland so it was nice to get something genuinely high concept for a change, and Graham might be the best companion they've had on the show imo. The frog was a weird choice though. They could have just kept it appearing as Grace. Or maybe even someone the doctor has lost, missed opportunity there. Rose or Missy or someone.

I do think it's slowly got better over the last few weeks. But the finale is Chibnall again so I'm expecting it to be crap. Also think how stand alone the episodes have been have hurt this series. Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat would have given us a mental cliffhanger at this point, something to get us excited at how they're going to wrap things up. But there's really nothing to wrap up. There doesn't seem to be any overarching story at all apart from Ryan warming to Graham (odds on Graham dying in the next one now that they've bonded? Can't see Bradley Walsh doing more than one series). I guess maybe the bad guys from the first episode will pop up again in the finale since they got a mention in the second one? Yay.

The last three episodes have been an improvement admittedly, I think that's down to Chibnall not being involved as much. This week was in the so bad its good category, it was entertaining.

With no overall arc as a viewer I feel passive, all the episodes are pretty much what you get on the surface there is not much depth to the writing. Some people will be ok with that, though I prefer a puzzle to solve or at least something suggesting an impact on the DW character to look forward to in upcoming episodes.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2018 Posts: 12,459
    I doubt this needs spoiler tag, but anyway I'll put it here:
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I doubt this needs spoiler tag, but anyway I'll put it here:

I thought it was a puppet, though apparently it was CGI which makes it even worse lol
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,376
    @MajorDSmythe I think you will like this, this was streamed today though this Youtuber has also done a review for all the previous Classic Doctors eras also...

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe I think you will like this, this was streamed today though this Youtuber has also done a review for all the previous Classic Doctors eras also...

Thanks for that, I will have a look.

Thanks for that, I will have a look.

Its a good watch, Jonathan Powell's assessment of JNT was brutal.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2018 Posts: 13,894
    I'm surprised, I was expecting a hatchet job.

RE Powell's assessment of JNT. That was a bit rich. It's a shame that Powell didn't do just that, BEFORE he commissioned Eldorado.

RE Powell's assessment of JNT. That was a bit rich. It's a shame that Powell didn't do just that, BEFORE he commissioned Eldorado.

Hatchet job? you mean the quality of the review.

Eldorado was shocking and short lived, my opinion of JNT has changed over time, he was clearly fighting for the show irrespective of some ropey decisions. Though to be honest the complete lack of support from the BBC JNT did remarkably well, my opinion on Saward has changed also he IMO tried to sabotage the show.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 13,894

No, the attitude towards the McCoy era. Series 24 provides plenty of ammo for detractors of the 7th Doctor. That was a more positive video than I was expecting.
    Eldorado was shocking and short lived, my opinion of JNT has changed over time, he was clearly fighting for the show irrespective of some ropey decisions. Though to be honest the complete lack of support from the BBC JNT did remarkably well, my opinion on Saward has changed also he IMO tried to sabotage the show.

JNT made a number of iffy decisions, but it is ironic that Powell said that, when the Beeb practically kept JNT hostage as producer. "Leave, and we'll cancel the show." is what I believe JNT was told.

No, the attitude towards the McCoy era. Series 24 provides plenty of ammo for detractors of the 7th Doctor. That was a more positive video than I was expecting.

JNT made a number of iffy decisions, but it is ironic that Powell said that, then the Beeb practically kept JNT hostage as producer. "Leave, and we'll cancel the show." is what I believe JNT was told.

The reviewer does make some good points and a fan of the era, my issue has always been the poor production and how McCoy was initially written. Though the rot set in well before McCoy.

I struggle with much of McCoy's era certainly the first season, though there are some good stories in his run Remembrance of the Daleks and Curse of Fenric are very good I also see Survival in a more positive light, I watched them again a few months ago they seem to get better over time.

Ace is a great companion in the last season I think her character as illustrated in the video does have a great arc.

JNT made a number of iffy decisions, but it is ironic that Powell said that, then the Beeb practically kept JNT hostage as producer. "Leave, and we'll cancel the show." is what I believe JNT was told.

The reviewer does make some good points and a fan of the era, my issue has always been the poor production and how McCoy was initially written. Though the rot set in well before McCoy.

I struggle with much of McCoy's era certainly the first season, though there are some good stories in his run Remembrance of the Daleks and Curse of Fenric are very good I also see Survival in a more positive light, I watched them again a few months ago they seem to get better over time.

Ace is a great companion in the last season I think her character as illustrated in the video does have a great arc.

Even as a fan of that era, I struggle to recommend series 24. The only thing I could say to someone, regarding series 24, is to grit their teeth and just.... get it out of the way. That and the quality of the next two series improves greatly with each one.

Even as a fan of that era, I struggle to recommend series 24. The only thing I could say to someone, regarding series 24, is to grit their teeth and just.... get it out of the way. That and the quality of the next two series improves greatly with each one.

The look of the show also suffered when it was shot in Videotape, the bad sets looked even cheaper. I am pretty much agreeing with the reviewer though the introduction of Ace is the highlight of season 24.

The look of the show also suffered when it was shot in Videotape, the bad sets looked even cheaper. I am pretty much agreeing with the reviewer though the introduction of Ace is the highlight of season 24.

It's almost the same with the Troughton era, it truly gets underway when Jamie joins the Tardis. The McCoy era gains traction once Ace arrives. I'm in agreement as well, except for what I think the bets story is. I still think Remembrance Of The Daleks is a classic story, it has so much going for it.

It's almost the same with the Troughton era, it truly gets underway when Jamie joins the Tardis. The McCoy era gains traction once Ace arrives. I'm in agreement as well, except for what I think the bets story is. I still think Remembrance Of The Daleks is a classic story, it has so much going for it.

Agreed good companions can bring the best from the Doctor, Jamie and the Doctor one of the best dynamics in the entire series. They struck gold early on with Ian and Barbara they helped make some the early episodes great.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 616
    Even as a fan of that era, I struggle to recommend series 24. The only thing I could say to someone, regarding series 24, is to grit their teeth and just.... get it out of the way.

Although I find Delta and the Bannermen to be mostly unwatchable, I don't mind Time and the Rani and I quite like Paradise Towers, which (for me) has an engagingly loopy streak of dark humor and Richard Briers's amusing OTT performance. Bonnie Langford is a fine actress but wasn't given the best material -- her chance to shine as Mel didn't happen until Big Finish (she was excellent in The Fires of Vulcan, one of the best Who stories in any medium).
    Agreed good companions can bring the best from the Doctor, Jamie and the Doctor one of the best dynamics in the entire series. They struck gold early on with Ian and Barbara they helped make some the early episodes great.

I think it's fair to say that those two are also responsible for the Doctors attitude changing. In an early story, the Doctor was ready to crack a caveman's skull in with a rock, until Ian stopped him.
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Although I find Delta and the Bannermen to be mostly unwatchable, I don't mind Time and the Rani and I quite like Paradise Towers, which (for me) has an engagingly loopy streak of dark humor and Richard Briers's amusing OTT performance. Bonnie Langford is a fine actress but wasn't given the best material -- her chance to shine as Mel didn't happen until Big Finish (she was excellent in The Fires of Vulcan, one of the best Who stories in any medium).

I'm fond of The Happiness Patrol. It looks like a series 24 story, and isn't as strong as anything from series 26, but there is a sombre undercurrent to it.

Mel is definite;y a good example of the magic of Big Finish.
    Oh my giddy aunt. The Macra Terror, fully animated, is coming to DVD/BR/digital in March 2019.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a25407414/doctor-who-macra-terror-animation-dvd-blu-ray/

Oh my giddy aunt. The Macra Terror, fully animated, is coming to DVD/BR/digital in March 2019.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a25407414/doctor-who-macra-terror-animation-dvd-blu-ray/

Great stuff If my memory serves I have only seen the Macra in there cameo re appearance in Gridlock
    I see the last episode got 5.07m viewers from its previous 5.66m, this is without the BBC's massaged consolidated figures added on to bolster this leaky tub. Will the finale episode scrape 4.90m or will it get a major boost by being the finale and gain a few extra viewers curious to see whether their own desertion was fully justified?

Great stuff If my memory serves I have only seen the Macra in there cameo re appearance in Gridlock

I think there was also a brief clip of The Macra Terror in the 40th Anniversary trailer. I think it's the clip of Polly holding someone as The Macra(?) close in. Any Troughton is welcome, but I want to see Fury From The Deep released.
    bondsum wrote: »
    I see the last episode got 5.07m viewers from its previous 5.66m, this is without the BBC's massaged consolidated figures added on to bolster this leaky tub. Will the finale episode scrape 4.90m or will it get a major boost by being the finale and gain a few extra viewers curious to see whether their own desertion was fully justified?

If previous weeks are anything to go by, with an overnight of just 5.07m, consolidated must surely be below 7m.
    Season 12 has just been confirmed, excellent news and the filming starts early 2019. i found the new Doctor generally very enjoyable and well written.
    The finale was OK it had good production, where it did suffer like much of the season is its boring. The major problem with the finale is if you think about it it all falls apart, overall a very underwhelming season and arguably the worst.

Looks like the
    Dalek's
    are returning in the Christmas New Year special.
    I found the finale actually better than all Chibnall denouncers had probably expected, I do however agree that the season could have used some more cohesion then the first and last episode being part of one story.

Overall Jodi Whitaker was more enjoyable than the previous Doctor while he had his moments he felt like the greatest hits of the New Who series. With Jodi they are clearly looking for a new dynamic which is perhaps a bit for people who expect the same thing over and over. Jodi's first season consists of some very strong new episodes and I would have loved that frog more if it had wore a bow-tie and had proclaimed Bow ties are cool.

Looking for ward to the new years episode.
    I like Jodi though Capaldi is an another level when it comes to acting and is a far superior Doctor IMO, I am basing this on there performances from there respective debut seasons.

This season lacked energy for me and did not rise beyond mediocre. Its not really Jodie's fault though her Doctor is mainly surface, her Doctor lacks pathos and nuance, the writing is poor.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    An underwhelming finale to say the least. If anything, this series has been mired by being boring, boring, boring. Series 11 has produced one episode I can say I genuinely enjoyed (Kerblam!). The rest, either dull or downright awful. With all that said though, the New Years special does look promising.

If I had to rank the Nu Who series:
    1/2) Series 4 (+Specials) & Series 2
    3) Series 3
    4) Series 1
    5) Series 5
    6) Series 6
    7) Series 8
    8) Series 10
    9) Series 7
    10) Series 9
    11) Series 11
    Just watched the last two episodes of season 10 (Capaldi) nothing in season 11 even comes close.

Nuwho ended with Capaldi, I accept we are in a new era of DW that is seperate and amateur hour
    UK Gold: Colin Baker Years

UK Gold: Sylvester McCoy Years
    The original you might say...

There are moments in this scene that are incredible

I miss the TARDIS
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I like Capaldi very much. At least now, another set for Jodi and let's hope the writing is much improved. She deserves that. Fans deserve that.