'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Run... out of ideas? For the love of Rassilon, that is a worse excuse than Moffs excuse for not bringing back The Rani (modern viewers wouldn't know who she is... says the man that could have brought her back anytime he wanted, and introduced her to the new modern fans). I was under the impression that people were hired to write the episodes. Maybe I was wrong.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Tsuranga Conundrum the makers of DW are trolling the audience, its not even a funny joke, and this show has become a joke.
    The Tsuranga Conundrum the makers of DW are trolling the audience, its not even a funny joke, and this show has become a joke.

I quite enjoyed it actually, I am not sure why all the negativity is needed. The show is delivering nicely. I start liking Jody each week a wee bit more.

Still have to watch the Spider episode as I was not able to see it upon release, will do somewhere in the next weeks.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    If it was good and well written and I enjoyed it then I would have been positive.
    If it was good and well written and I enjoyed it then I would have been positive.

In my humble opinion it was well written, not so action packed which is not something this series has been so far. Which is not a bad thing in itself.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    That was depressingly bad.
    SaintMark wrote: »

In my humble opinion it was well written, not so action packed which is not something this series has been so far. Which is not a bad thing in itself.

We all have different opinions.
    That is true as the discussions on the Craig era proves.

But one thing is for sure the Whitaker Doctor stories are different from the previous eras. and all had they moaners and complainers and their fans.
    I think Jodie has potential if given good material, for several years I have not been a fan of Chibnall and I actually think his DW writing has got worse.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    This thread on twitter has quite a few opinions. I think some of you are familiar with this man's Dr. Who work. (scroll up for his original post and other comments)
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,369
    Stuart Humphreys is bang on, weak is an understatement.

There was a scene between Ryan and Yaz in tonight's episode which was so flat I started looking at my phone I was that bored, everything just seems one note with forced clunky dialogue.

The less said about the Pting the better...
    pting-doctor-who-end-The-Tsuranga-Conundrum-570x270-350x200.jpg
    We are getting this instead of classic monsters.
    Is that E.T's cousin? Sorry, haven't seen the episode yet. Maybe I won't.
    Univex wrote: »
    Is that E.T's cousin? Sorry, haven't seen the episode yet. Maybe I won't.

It looks worse in the episode.
  • I hope that isn't true. It really annoys me when showrunners tinker (or completely change) the backstory of a long-running character. It's a sort of arrogance, really, and disrespects what came before. I didn't like it when Moffat did it (admittedly I thought it worked with the War Doctor, but what on earth was he thinking with that 'hybrid' nonsense?) and I dread to think how Chibnall will do it. The first job of a showrunner should be to do no harm. They are tenants of a great legacy. They should build on what came before, not uproot it. They can take the show whichever direction they want - that is their creative prerogative - but why must they dig their tentacles into the show's past?

I thought yesterday's episode was bland again.

I like bits, but I'm finding the fledgling episodes of the Chibnall era to be ultimately unsatisfying and unimaginative.

Still, no Chibnall for the next few weeks, so things might very well pick up (although I am braced for some massive British Empire bashing next week, which is likely to be a simplistic look at a complicated time).

All that being said, lots of people seem to be enjoying this season.

BTW, What is it with people's allergy to only children? Giving them brothers everywhere and every time. Even Bond now has a foster evil brother (straight out of an Austin Powers that is, I tell ya). I had this experience time and time again, when I say to someone I'm an only child, they almost weep and express their sadness for me, some sort of pity, really. And then they go on telling me that only children have worse personalities and that they're selfish and don't know how to share. What an incredibly idiotic analysis. Simplistic and fallacious, to say the least. Now the Doctor has sisters. Oh, please, have mercy.
    Thank God I gave up watching this tripe .
    The Pting in action...
    giphy.gif
    Yep..thats about right with this shit series.
    Yes many fans look as disgruntled as the Pting
    @Cooperman :

You must not have liked "The Green Death", which tackled the same subject, then. Or "The Happiness Patrol", which was as anti-Thatcher as could be (same with Lenny Henry's sketch). An so many others, starting with "Planet of the Giants", Doctor Who has always been political, and more often on the "liberal" side of an issue than on the "conservative" side. Sometimes accidentally (watch "The Sun Makers", for example). And let's not mention that a compagnon was named after a well-known (at the time) terrorist. I can imagine the shit storm today if the producers did the same thing.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 5,080
    There's a great (for want of a better word) little moment in Human Nature (S3) where Martha and Jenny are scrubbing the floor of the school and a passing schoolboy remarks "Tell me then, Jones. With hands like those, how can you tell when something's clean?". This is how you weave socio-political messages into an episode of Doctor Who. It's called the art of subtlety; intelligent writing woven with a message that doesn't overpower the sci-fi and entertainment aspects of the show.
    Then you have asinine moments like this in the current series:
    "I've heard you're only running cos you've hated Trump for decades."
    "Please don't mention that name."
    don't you get it? Trump is BAD, yeah, he's a BAD person. Chibnall is a hack and there were a bucket load of more talented writers who should have helmed the show.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Univex wrote: »
    Now the Doctor has sisters. Oh, please, have mercy.

Sounds exactly like what they did with Star Trek Discovery. It's set 10 years before The Original Series and the main protagonist is Spock's adopted human sister who can basically do everything he can but better. Ugh. Sybok was better than this character.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 5,080
    http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-11-2018-uk-ratings-accumulator-88397.htm

Sliding, sliding...I reckon next week will fall under the 6m mark.
    http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-11-2018-uk-ratings-accumulator-88397.htm

Sliding, sliding...I reckon next will fall under the 6m mark.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch,serves them all right for being over-confident and thinking the public are idiots,easily preached to.
  • Wasn't Doctor Who always a very PC show? It was never edgy or dangerous.

All Steven Moffat's episodes were about 'love conquering all'. It was never actually scary.

I mean, the last Capaldi-era companion was a mixed-race lesbian. That whole character felt like an exercise in box-checking. Before that, the show has always been about inclusivity and cooperation. It's not like Bond where the character is a chain-smoking, alcoholic killer for the Government (albeit a suave one). If you soften the edges on that character it becomes much more noticeable. Doctor Who has always been a cuddly show.

I think this mostly boils down to older fans feeling alienated by a female lead. Which is kinda fine, since the show has lasted 50+ years with male leads. It's a stark contrast. Though, Whitaaker's performance seems very close to Tennant's. surely, the jump from Smith to Capaldi was more glaring and offensive?

Plus, at least as far as I can tell, the Doctor's gender isn't a big deal. She's an alien, who doesn't bother with such tertiary concerns as gender - that's something humans preoccupy themselves with. Time Lords are a little more amorphous in this regard.

I've not given the new series a proper watch, but the production looks considerably more handsome and well-made than previous ones.
    My issue is not with Jodie, the writing and acting is horrendous. The problem is not the politics its the way its being presented... With a sledgehammer to the detriment to good story telling.
    Her gender is really besides the point when it is the writing/scripts that are horrifically bad. Chibnall just doesn't get Doctor Who, never has and it shows in the episodes he wrote during the RTD/Moffat eras. I really struggle to see why the Beeb thought Chibnall was the appropriate replacement for Moffat. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and The Power of Three are hardly the shining beacons of NuWho, are they? In fact, the more I think about it, The Tsuranga Conundrum has many parallels with Chibnall's first Who episode, 42.
    Her gender is really besides the point when it is the writing/scripts that are horrifically bad. Chibnall just doesn't get Doctor Who, never has and it shows in the episodes he wrote during the RTD/Moffat eras. I really struggle to see why the Beeb thought Chibnall was the appropriate replacement for Moffat. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and The Power of Three are hardly the shining beacons of NuWho, are they? In fact, the more I think about it, The Tsuranga Conundrum has many parallels with Chibnall's first Who episode, 42.

As soon as Chibnall was announced as writer I knew what we were in for, the way he structures episodes is limited and repetitive. For DW to succeed you have to have an imaginative head writer.
    Chibnall seems to love countdowns, boring stories awful villains.
    The show has always been a favourite but at the the moment it's a mess.
    Talk about being Preachy.