'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Interesting. The vast majority of comments I've read on twitter are very positive indeed about this first episode and of Jodie in particular.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2018 Posts: 13,894
    I mustard mit, the thought of the 1st Doctor as a troll puts a smile on my face for some reason. So he always knew the name was Chesterton, but called him damn near everything but that, to amuse himself? In that case, the original theme should have been this little ditty:

:D
    From this (at 1.46) :

I rest my case.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Well Chris Chibnall has still not written a decent DW episode, this was clunky and mediocre and not a good series premiere, in fact it committed the worse sin which is it was boring in parts.

Another concern is the budget looks slashed, the plus point is Jodie and the cast, there is potential there.

Yeah to be honest it made me really feel like I've taken Steven Moffat for granted. I was really critical of some of his run (the Matt Smith episodes got too complicated and then Capaldi's first series didn't really work for me) but I remember being totally won over by the first Matt Smith episode. This one not so much. Clunky's definitely the right word. For all his faults, when you think about it, Moffat did write a lot of really great episodes right up until the end. If I went back I can probably find at least one episode per series, written by him, that's one of the best episodes of the show. Not convinced Chibnall is in the same league yet. Definitely doesn't seem as witty as Moffat was.

I really liked the setting and how down to earth it was. Cinematography was great. Jodie played what she was given well but she felt a bit generic to me, nothing to set her apart outside of being a woman. It's early days though to be fair, it took Capaldi a while to grow on me. But I don't feel like she hit the ground running like Eccleston and Smith did. And for the episode itself I think clunky is definitely the right word. Plot was mediocre, not really much memorable dialogue or anything, humour didn't really land for me. I like the general direction they're going in, feels more grounded and character driven like Eccleston's series, but not convinced they nailed the execution. To be fair though a lot of those 2005 episodes haven't aged well either.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and watch next week, I'm not writing the series off completely just because it's taking a while to find its feet. But I really liked series 10, and was gutted we only got one series of that. So I think it'll take me a while to warm up to Chibnall and the new cast.

Moffat at his best was great though did get convoluted sometimes, though I liked the fact Moffat was full of ideas and invention. Chibnall concentrates on character and does well in that respect though his lack of invention is evident in his previous DW stories.

During the episode it did cross my mind how Jodies Doctor may have been handled by Moffat, I think Jodie is a good actress and would thrive with good material.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,271
    New York Comic Con 2018

Jodie is great, a very likeable person.

The new take on the DW theme is very retro.
    11. 2 This is God awful writing and amateur direction, this is barely DW.

It's become obvious to me this new series of Doctor Who is a second reboot, you have Classic Who, Nuwho and now Barely Who that resembles Torchwood at its worst for utter muddled writing, focus on drama then rush an ending hoping the audience won't notice how badly constructed the story was.
    I actually fell asleep watching that for about 10mins x that was awful and boring x one more chance next week or that’s it for me.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I actually fell asleep watching that for about 10mins x that was awful and boring x one more chance next week or that’s it for me.

It's not great I feel sorry for Jodie they are not writing her well at all, DW has turned into a soap/drama which is not DW.
  • I was pretty bored too, not loving this series at all so far. I don't think Jodie or the writing are really doing enough for her to come into her own. Nothing stands out about her, just seems to be mimicking David Tennant and Matt Smith to me.

And are they setting up the aliens from the first episode as the main villains of the series? That's a very weird choice imo.
    I was pretty bored too, not loving this series at all so far. I don't think Jodie or the writing are really doing enough for her to come into her own. Nothing stands out about her, just seems to be mimicking David Tennant and Matt Smith to me.

And are they setting up the aliens from the first episode as the main villains of the series? That's a very weird choice imo.

That's a terrible choice if true, the alien in the first episode was a weak monster of the week. Chibdull is making Moffat look like Mario Puzo
    giphy.gif

If Grand Moff had a hand in the new show runners appointment, Grand Moff succeeded.
  • I was pretty bored too, not loving this series at all so far. I don't think Jodie or the writing are really doing enough for her to come into her own. Nothing stands out about her, just seems to be mimicking David Tennant and Matt Smith to me.

That's a terrible choice if true, the alien in the first episode was a weak monster of the week. Chibdull is making Moffat look like Mario Puzo

I think this series is showing how badly Moffat was taken for granted. He had some misses but when you stop and think about how many hits there were I think he's probably the best writer that the show has had. Chibnall just doesn't seem to be in the same league to me.
    Sorry to hear this - I like Jodie a lot. I want her Doctor to do well, but for sure that is contingent upon the writers coming up with good stories.
    I enjoyed Jodi's second outing and of course her non gun solution would not be accepted lightly on a 007 forum. ;)

She is delivering the goods, She is a worthy new addition to the DW family.

I do like the new Tardis and hope we'll see more of her.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I really enjoyed it myself.

One thing though - how did those Hepburn/Pythagoras shades get in her pocket? Ah well, I guess Who wouldn’t be Who without an error in continuity.
    I really enjoyed it myself.

One thing though - how did those Hepburn/Pythagoras shades get in her pocket? Ah well, I guess Who wouldn’t be Who without an error in continuity.

Timey wimey.
    Or the Doctor is fibbing. That works too.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The first thing I noticed was the lack of Murray Gold's sweeping, beautiful music.

The second thing I noticed...no, the first thing actually, was the insipid opening arrangement of the Who theme.

The third thing was that the script was indeed fairly wishy washy, with mundane, generic dialogue.

The saddest thing I noticed was that the most important thing in Dr Who is that no one is more charismatic than the Doctor. When there is a crowd of characters standing together it should always the Doctor you are looking at, not a middle aged comic/actor called Bradley Walsh.

I closed my eyes at one point and imagined Peter Capaldi doing this episode, and in my head it improved ten fold.

I do worry that in their haste to cast a female Doctor they never thought it through. After the amazing Michele Gomez as Missy they did prove that a female could take this show on. I'm simply not convinced that Jodie W is the right choice. I barely recalled her in Broadchurch such was her (lack of) impact.

I just want to be proven wrong, and wish her all the luck in the world.
    Jodie seems to get lost amongst everyone else when she really needs to stand out.

:))

They have done a Classic Who trailer also...

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Just the thing for Sunday nights viewing,A nice cup of tea and a Custard Creme yum yum.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 12,459
    tiny snippets of what's coming up ...
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Finally caught up with the second episode (had to avoid this thread all week). I enjoyed it; the way it all worked out had a sort of 7th Doctor vibe, and I feel it's properly a show for kids again, which is a good thing IMHO.

I did a little yelp and fistpump at the Venusian aikido.

And making me genuinely scared of some floating bits of cloth = classic Who.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Nah .... I’m done with this series, I don’t need to be preached about racism etc ,especially about modern day and mosques etc x I’m watching escapism,or I’m supposed to x series link deleted and that’s that,no more recordings or watching.
    This is so BBC ,they just can’t help themselves x the historical history was interesting but don’t preach modern day shit and turn this into a race documentary.
    First time since I was a kiddie knee high that I have quit Dr Who but this is too much,don’t treat me like a f****g idiot n get some acting and dialogue lessons all of you.
    BBC Pricks.
    The acting and music was awful, and the direction with weird close ups was off putting. The subject matter was laid on way too thick and then the awful pop song.

My interest in the show is diminishing rapidly.
    It's depressing, really. I used to love Doctor Who. I mean, really love. This is just depressing. The writing is just so poor. And the acting, they all look and sound mentally impaired. And it used to be such a smart show.
    The scripts for series 11 have come across like first drafts, the dialogue is horrendous.

I have no idea what they are attempting to do with the Doctors character, whatever it is it is not working. Jodie's Doctor is starting to irritate me, the Doctor is not been written tight enough.

Aspects of this series remind me of McCoy's first season, for some reason Delta and the Bannerman popped in my head.

The Villain was more suited to Sarah Jane Adventures, it's obvious we will see that underwritten walking cliche in another episode.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Utter tripe. thought I’d never say this, but god do I miss Moffat right now.