'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Season 11 episode 4 this is terrible Jodie is a none event, the acting and zero plot is painful. Every script so far this season is for the most part tell tell tell and showing very little, it's exposition overload from Chibnall which is what he always does.

I presume the American character was a dig at Trump. I-)
    I stopped watching it after about 10mins of last weeks episode.
    Watched the Mexico Grand Prix instead and thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I watched Bradley Walsh...on The Chase
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    "Arachnids in the UK"- one big crock of excrement. Without a shadow of the doubt the worst hour of television I've ever had the misfortune to sit through. I was watching it with my housemate, who doesn't follow Doctor Who, and she turned round to me and said, "I don't know how I managed to sit through that". Me and you both, love. Me and you both.
    "Arachnids in the UK"- one big crock of excrement. Without a shadow of the doubt the worst hour of television I've ever had the misfortune to sit through. I was watching it with my housemate, who doesn't follow Doctor Who, and she turned round to me and said, "I don't know how I managed to sit through that". Me and you both, love. Me and you both.

I wouldn't put yourself through that again.
    barryt007 wrote: »

I wouldn't put yourself through that again.

I've been watching religiously since 2005, and I'm seriously considering giving up. Next week looks uninspiring and derivative...wonder what agenda they're gonna tick off next week.
    The world has gone to the dogs, I tell ya. In all ways possible. And Doctor Who is no exception to this.
    It's really sad, too. As a Sheffielder, it's really exciting seeing Sheffield landmarks on screen, but then you have to put up with the rest of it...
    It's really sad, too. As a Sheffielder, it's really exciting seeing Sheffield landmarks on screen, but then you have to put up with the rest of it...

Its annoting for us who have given up on it but it must be 10 times worse for you,seeing Sheffield connected to such crap.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    http://guide.doctorwhonews.net/info.php?detail=ratings&type=date

The numbers, they be a fallin'. Getting close to series 10 numbers.
    It has too.

Even die-hard Who fans are turning away,let alone normal viewers.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It does beg the question, should the numbers continue to fall, where does the show go next? They might start to climb over the next few episodes, but if they don't...
    Chibnall is hardly going to hold up his hands, and admit that series 11 has been a mistake.
    It does beg the question, should the numbers continue to fall, where does the show go next? They might start to climb over the next few episodes, but if they don't...
    Chibnall is hardly going to hold up his hands, and admit that series 11 has been a mistake.

I feel for Jodie,to be lumbered with the acting,score,script she has been given is a no-hoper.

Her screen presence hasn't been as strong as I thought it would be,which is surprising compared to other things I have seen her in,and she has just been swallowed up by the 3 amigos she has with her,in each episode.
    This scares the living daylights out of me because I keep thinking that, one day, this can happen to Bond, and by this i mean the murder of an established character to the point of no recognition by the sake of modernizing it or pleasing the pc crowd. That’s why im so glad we have Barbara on the job. An old school producer with a billion dollar family business on her hands that she loves and protects for the sake of traditionand because its clearly good fun for her.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,271
    I have been a fan of DW since the 1970's and watched all the available episodes many times over, I felt a bit sad watching Sundays episode a beloved show has been hijacked.

This new show seems to have alot of praise which baffles me, I guess I accept the show I like has not existed since Twice Upon a Time, Moffat was a mixed bag though his tenure always felt like DW and even his most convoluted episodes were at least interesting and full of ideas.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2018/10/24/ex-doctor-who-boss-steven-moffat-says-series-looks-cheap-in-comparison-to-netflix-shows-8072392/amp/
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It is odd that the media and twitterdom still seem to be putting out the bunting, celebrating this much needed boost to the Dr's adventures. The show is now hailed for its diversity, inclusive appeal etc. The problem is, when the acting and writing is poor it matters not what you actually get right.

No one can admit they were wrong, but somehow they have to address the loss of 1 million viewers every week.

Besides which new Who has already done all the inclusive stuff.
    You want bi characters - Jack Harkness
    You want black characters - Mickey, Martha, Bill etc
    You want gay characters - Bill again
    You want old characters - Wilf
    You want strong female characters - Missy, River, Lethbridge-Stewart etc etc etc

Nothing they are trying to do now has ever been ignored in Doctor Who.
    @NicNac, exactly! Doctor Who has always been a show about diversity and equality and moral. This new one is just Sesame Street for millennials, and it's embarrassing.
    Univex wrote: »
    @NicNac, exactly! Doctor Who has always been a show about diversity and equality and moral. This new one is just Sesame Street for millennials, and it's embarrassing.

I find it arrogant,condescending and patrionising....i'm not a kid,and if they are going to marked it even more in that direction then lets us know so we can switch off.
    My guess—and it's another hypothesis—is that all these Twitter addicts that have been praising the new show will find a new cause to go celebrate once they themselves realize that what they've been watching is total unadulterated codswallop, and turn their attentions elsewhere. Meanwhile, Dr. Who will continue to lose its audience share, despite it having the benefit of Sunday's Strictly Come Dancing to help bolster its flagging ratings. It's a cunning piece of trickery on the BBC's part that will only go so far as to help it stay afloat. That said, I'm rather looking forward to next week's ratings.
    bondsum wrote: »
    My guess—and it's another hypothesis—is that all these Twitter addicts that have been praising the new show will find a new cause to go celebrate once they themselves realize that what they've been watching is total unadulterated codswallop, and turn their attentions elsewhere. Meanwhile, Dr. Who will continue to lose its audience share, despite it having the benefit of Sunday's Strictly Come Dancing to help bolster its flagging ratings. It's a cunning piece of trickery on the BBC's part that will only go so far as to help it stay afloat. That said, I'm rather looking forward to next week's ratings.

Yes, indeed, it's very sad when we want a ship we love to skink. But that is the case. And you're absolutely right.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I find it arrogant,condescending and patrionising....

And dull, and dumb, and derogatory towards our intelligence. Yes, you're absolutely right.
    Buried beneath the media outpouring of love towards the latest episode, is some bad news. Derrick Sherwin, script editor/producer and creator of UNIT has passed away:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a869487/derrick-sherwin-doctor-who-producer-dies/

A key figure in the transition from Troughton to Pertwee, yet there has hardly been any reporting on his passing.

RIP
    Buried beneath the media outpouring of love towards the latest episode, is some bad news. Derrick Sherwin, script editor/producer and creator of UNIT has passed away:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a869487/derrick-sherwin-doctor-who-producer-dies/

A key figure in the transition from Troughton to Pertwee, yet there has hardly been any reporting on his passing.

RIP

RIP Derrick Sherwin!

That transition was one if not the best, the Unit years are arguably my favourite. It was brilliant how they were initially introduced in the Troughton era.
    Just wanted to say that I saw the arachnids one today. What a poorly written/executed piece of condescending tripe. And one thing must be said, the new tardis is horrid. There aren't even dynamics or mechanical movements. It looks organic. And to think we've come from a Doctor who used sonic sunglasses for the sake of not relying on a magic wand, and we now have one that uses the bloody thing in an overly exposed way, as if she were a power ranger doing an effected move. It's all very depressing.
    I thought Arachnids in the UK was for the most part an ok episode. That was until the lecture on the evils of land fill. Strangely enough i thought DW was supposed to be a sci-fi entertainment not a series of lectures. And guess who the evil villian was. A rude ignorant American billionaire property developer who was planning on running for president in 2020. All the liberal elite sutlety of a sledgehammer. I would prefer it if the producers stopped trying to push a certain agenda and stick to enteraining
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    I thought Arachnids in the UK was for the most part an ok episode. That was until the lecture on the evils of land fill. Strangely enough i thought DW was supposed to be a sci-fi entertainment not a series of lectures. And guess who the evil villian was. A rude ignorant American billionaire property developer who was planning on running for president in 2020. All the liberal elite sutlety of a sledgehammer. I would prefer it if the producers stopped trying to push a certain agenda and stick to enteraining

Which they are massively failing at as well.
    Not fussed, to be honest, one less episode for this series can only be a good thing, and besides, I’ve not really enjoyed a Christmas special since Voyage of the Damned.
    Agreed the Christmas episodes tend to misfire.