'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,102
    This new series certainly is devisive, there does not appear to be much middle ground online.
    I found it a really well done episode that made me really uncomfortable at moments, sure the music choice was a wee bit too modern for my liking, could have chosen some age appropriate music. But overall it would have always been a heavy handed episode with this particular content, I found it really brave choice.
    This historical is one of the really great episodes since the Doctor came back and it is indeed very right for this time and the subject of racism is some much alive today.

This series has finally started to work on all cilinders for me.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I'm sort of with Barry here. I've been a Dr Who fan all my life, and last night I realised I was scrolling through Twitter on my phone after about 15 minutes.

The positioning of the show is very clever, with a large audience waiting for the Strictly results. BUT, that isn't a good enough reason to keep me watching a Doctor who sounds like Peggy from Hi-De-Hi.
    I have to say that I am not getting the feeling that I am missing out on anything to be honest. Be interesting to see how viewing figures will go as the series progresses? Personally I still have no intention of watching it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2018 Posts: 13,882
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I have to say that I am not getting the feeling that I am missing out on anything to be honest. Be interesting to see how viewing figures will go as the series progresses? Personally I still have no intention of watching it.

That is sort of where I am. I have only seen 'The Woman Who Fell To Earth' so far. I just don't feel that... pull to watch it. Even the last series, where I was growing increasingly restless as to where it was going, I still kept watching.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 19,339

That is sort of where I am. I have only seen 'The Woman Who Fell To Earth' so far. I just don't feel that... pull to watch it. Even the last series, where I was growing increasingly restless as to where it was going, I still kept watching.

You have used a couple of 50minutes of your last 2 weekends wisely then Gentlemen,well done.

Personally I lost that amount.
    I gave this tripe 3 episodes,that was a fair amount of time,but that's it now - OVER.
    barryt007 wrote: »

You have used a couple of 50minutes of your last 2 weekends wisely, then Gentlemen,well done.

Personally I lost that amount.
    I gave this tripe 3 episodes,that was a fair amount of time,but that's it now - OVER.

I'm with you on this, @barryt007. Done.
    I still haven't watched it, and I'm sticking to my guns on my own self-imposed ban, just as I am with the new Star Wars movies. It's interesting to read some of the comments, aside from @SaintMark who seems to love it, that confirm my own reasons for giving this puerile sanctimonious drivel a wide berth. The ratings for the first couple of episodes were always going to be quite high. I seem to recall the ratings for Top Gear without Clarkson and Co were similar to begin with. It'll be interesting to see whether this can be sustained as the season progresses.
    Exactly @bondsum ,its the curiosity factor.
    But they don't even have a PTS anymore until the theme starts up with credits,its just straight into the theme,which btw is bloody awful,along with everything else.

Jodie is a good actress but she is miscast here.
    I'm not even curious to see how much it's been changed @barryt007, but thanks for filling me in on how the opening format has altered. My own prediction is that the BBC will be looking for a replacement come the end of next year and another team of writers and producers.
    bondsum wrote: »
    I'm not even curious to see how much it's been changed @barryt007, but thanks for filling me in on how the opening format has altered. My own prediction is that the BBC will be looking for a replacement come the end of next year and another team of writers and producers.

It will need some kind of re-boot after this.
    They should have grabbed Joanna Lumley,Paterson Joseph or Rowan Atkinson when they had the chance a while ago !!
    DUPLICATE
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 3,333
    They should have grabbed Joanna Lumley,Paterson Joseph or Rowan Atkinson when they had the chance a while ago !!
    I think they should have just stuck with delivering great story lines with modern production values, rather than using it as a political platform. Personally, I'd have preferred Richard Ayoade, Alan Davies or Stephen Mangan as the Doctor. In saying that I wasn't particularly smitten by Capaldi in the role either.
    But they don't even have a PTS anymore until the theme starts up with credits,its just straight into the theme

Just like it was in the old series, if you remember. The PTS is, after all, a recent adition to the series.
    I think they should have just stuck with delivering great story lines with modern production values, rather than using it as a political platform. Personally, I'd have preferred Richard Ayoade, Alan Davies or Stephen Mangan as the Doctor. In saying that I wasn't particularly smitten by Capaldi in the role either.

Me neither,tbh I don't mind Smith but the last great Doctor for me is Tennant.

Richard Ayoade or Stephen Mangan are excellent choices,perfect for the role !!
    Gerard wrote: »
    But they don't even have a PTS anymore until the theme starts up with credits,its just straight into the theme

Just like it was in the old series, if you remember. The PTS is, after all, a recent adition to the series.

Makes a heck of a difference having it to not having it though.
    Yes, and as Bond fans, we would all here like it if they reintroduced them. But as a Who fan, that mkes no difference to me.
    I couldn’t watch more than a couple of minutes of the first episode. I was going to try again further into the series when it had settled, but you guys are convincing me not to bother.
  • Interesting that pretty much the whole internet has been in unanimous support for Whittaker. She's been getting terrific reviews and the episode last night seemed to be a big hit across the board.

Intrigued by the response here.......it seems very out of sync with the broad consensus that this series and new Doctor have been an unmitigated success.

I can't imagine the BBC cancelling Whittaker or Chibnal considering the success the show is currently having.

Personally, Moffat was always an over-indulgent and self-congratulatory writer. Peter Capaldi was given such duff material.
    Even on the Bond forum Gallifrey the majority of the Who fans did enjoy last nights episode and Jodi Whitakers Doctor.

It is often an outspoken minority that keeps the negativity alive, but what can you do about it.

Last nights episode will undoubtedly be considered a political episode, I found it well chosen subject that is clearly something people do not want to hear about. Especially 2 female heroines in one show, that is really something scary for some people.

Last nights episodes had its flaws but was overal a very inspired episode that showed that the show does not need any monsters, something another female heroine by the name Ripley earlier also discovered.
    Interesting that pretty much the whole internet has been in unanimous support for Whittaker. She's been getting terrific reviews and the episode last night seemed to be a big hit across the board.

Intrigued by the response here.......it seems very out of sync with the broad consensus that this series and new Doctor have been an unmitigated success.

I can't imagine the BBC cancelling Whittaker or Chibnal considering the success the show is currently having.

Personally, Moffat was always an over-indulgent and self-congratulatory writer. Peter Capaldi was given such duff material.

I’ve seen an entertainment forum where many rated it as abysmal (although more rated it excellent).
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, all I can say is I've read great positive reactions to the Rosa Parks episode and for Jodie. Overwhelming the vast majority are positive.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Forget it, not going to happen. Chibnall will NEVER hold up his hands and admit he made a bad decision. Not when it is so much easier to blame the "sexist" fans for any dip in ratings.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 12,459
    I predict this series will do fine. I respect that some of you are very unhappy with it, though. A lot of people (I am reading on internet) seem more than pleased with this latest episode. I guess maybe 4 episodes in will be a better time to judge the series overall. I think having the Doctor be female is fine, not a mistake.

• In some places, to a certain degree, I think there has been a general overreaction on both sides. In my opinion, it has been a solid, if a tad uninspired beginning to the series. There is certainly promise there. Jodie has been great, and her wide-eyed, enthusiastic, apparently naive (but really not, Troughton style) approach has certainly worked for me. I also like all three companions - although admittedly Tosin Cole's acting has been a bit stiff so far. Bradley Walsh has been superb. We'll see more from Mandip Gill's Yaz soon. Little concerned that we are set for an extra special preachy episode about the British Raj in a few weeks, but if written well enough, it could be a powerful one.

It is the writing that I was always fearful about. We haven't had a decent villain, thus far, and some of the scripts have been clunky. Rosa was fine, but not the copper bottom classic that people are painting it as. It didn't really do anything that Quantum Leap didn't do in the 90s.

As always, the dust will settle, and by the end of the year we'll be in a position to make a much fairer judgement of the new Chibnall era.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I predict this series will do fine. I respect that some of you are very unhappy with it, though. A lot of people (I am reading on internet) seem more than pleased with this latest episode. I guess maybe 4 episodes in will be a better time to judge the series overall. I think having the Doctor be female is fine, not a mistake.

I think this particular female Doctor is a mistake, but you can't say anything on the internet without being branded a sexist. The DW fandom twitter account has practically said that if you don't like the idea of a female Doctor then sling your hook.

So, what do you say if you feel the actress is wrong? Loved Michelle Gomez as Missy. Don't love JW as the Doctor. She isn't commanding enough. But she's here for a few years I guess.
  • I'm not loving the new doctor but I'm having a hard time telling how much of that is on her and how much the writing is to blame. Got no problem with the character being a woman. But not really feeling Whittaker so far, or any of the regular cast apart from Bradley Walsh. I miss Capaldi Bill and Nardole. Wish we'd got another series with them.

I thought the other night's episode was better than the first two. Not subtle at all but it's a nice bit of education for the kids watching. I usually do like the more grounded episodes better than the proper sci fi ones anyway though. Think the show works better when it takes place in our world. But at the same time I think they might have gone too far in that direction. It all feels a bit bland and lifeless.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 6,665
    Capaldi was phenomenal, and Nardole was one of the best characters in a long long time. And I, for one, liked Moffat's contribution to the writing. At least it sounded smart and creative. I think the biggest problem so far with this new series is the writing, it's just sub par. Not the themes, the handling of the themes. And with a recent history of strong companions such as Karen Gillan or Jenna Coleman or Pearl Mackie, who were real women of strength, a bland doctor doesn't help. Come to think of it, I'd believe Billie Piper as the Doctor more by now.

Oh well, maybe she'll grow in the part, but I doubt the writing will get any better.
    Well, @NicNac, I hope you can voice your views on this forum without any issues. I understand what you mean.

I loved Capaldi and Clara. I am hopeful for Jodie. We simply have to see what the writing gives her coming up.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,102
    The Making of Ark in Space

Great era of DW

It's pretty cool that this website from the episode Rose still exists...

http://www.whoisdoctorwho.co.uk/index1.shtml