'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Chibnall loves his countdowns with several things frantically going on at the same time to create the illusion of tension or suspence.

The irony
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited November 2018 Posts: 5,080
    Chibnall loves his countdowns with several things frantically going on at the same time to create the illusion of tension or suspence.

The irony

Ha, that did half make me chuckle!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

The irony

Ha, that did half make me chuckle!

You just could not write that lol
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Doctor Who may have always been political, but in the past, the politics were more subtle.

At first I was against casting an actress as the Doctor, but on reflection, I actually would have given the series more of a chance, if they had cast an actress with the right quirky-ness. Maxine Peake would have been my #1 choice, I also would have been open to seeing Tamsin Greig and Olivia Colman as the Doctor.

Of course, that doesn't take into account the attitudes that are fueling the current series, and the writing.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Written by my friend's sister's friend apparently!
    Stand by for my country to get one almighty preaching and a kick in the balls.
    You couldn’t pay me to watch this shit.
  • I've got no problem with a female doctor (you can find posts from me defending the idea if you go back a few pages), but the writing hasn't been great and I'm starting to think Jodie was miscast. Just seems to try be waying too hard imo. Read something on twitter comparing her to a kids TV presenter and I think that's pretty spot on. The others did seemed a lot more natural when they did the wacky/weird stuff. Bradley Walsh is the only one of the cast I like.

The spider episode was okay but I didn't get how locking them in a room to suffocate was better than shooting them? Last week was dire. I think Rosa, while not amazing, was by far the best one so far, so I'm interested in the next few that aren't written by Chibnall. He's the worst thing about the new series imo. Has really made me realise how much I took Moffat for granted.
    Read something on twitter comparing her to a kids TV presenter and I think that's pretty spot on.

That's it!! That's exactly it!! A kids TV presenter. Making me roll my eyes to every single line delivered.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 5,080
    Credit where credit’s due, the writing this week was a lot more tolerable with the absence of Chibnall. Definitely the better episode of this series. Also rather surprised that they downplayed the politics this week, and rather focused on the plight of a single family. Yet with the absence of any real threat, and another batch of forgettable and “not-really-villains” villains, I have to say that once again I found myself glancing at my phone.

Edit: also saw a glimmer of what Whittaker’s Doctor could be during that scene where she confronts the whatever-they’re-called aliens in the ship-thing.
    Demons of the Punjab is probably the best episode of season 11 so far though I just found it boring again, in fact soon as the episode ended I could barely remember what happened.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 1,661
    I've decided to give up the current series. Not a fan of a female Doctor (and thank goodness we won't be seeing a female Bond any time soon!). I don't think the rest of the supporting cast is that good neither. Ryan's purpose on the show is to ask inane questions like "where are we? What's this? Why are you doing that?" Aside from that, he has all the personality of a blank piece of paper.

Bradley Walsh is okay-ish, hardly a great thespian (!) he does a few good emotional scenes but I find him mostly flat. I think the show would work better with the Doctor and just Yaz.

On the plus side, I think Jodie Whittaker has a warm persona and brings something different to the role. With a slightly different approach to the show she could have more potential. However, what made me quit the series was the forced, political correctness agenda. I'm not that interested in Rosa sitting on a bus seat or Yaz's grandma marrying or not marring the right man during the partition of India. I don't want to see pregnant men give birth!

The final "I've had enough" moment was

- the Doctor's preachy "love is the best weapon" speech during the wedding (spread love, not war, kids!) :P

- and the end theme of Demons of the Punjab. It sounded like an opera singer with tooth ache. It's like when Eon messed about with the gun barrel. It's change for change's sake and it's not for me. I know life is about change, but if the change is not to your liking or you're not enjoying the change then it's better to quit the show than watch it and moan about it! I quit the second series of Capaldi's run (found him too miserable) - but came back so I'm sure I'll come back to the show in the future.
    3 million viewers lost in 6 episodes.....waste of taxpayers money.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    3 million viewers lost in 6 episodes.....waste of taxpayers money.

That's the thing it's us paying for this tripe.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Never thought I’d chose tennis over Dr Who.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    This week's was good fun and gave me some genuine robot jump-scares even though I was expecting them. I hope there'll be lots of kids reenacting sliding down the chute to Dispatches in the playground tomorrow.
    I have stopped watching, forgot it was on. Apperantly there won't be a new series after the New Year special until 2020, it's probably for the best.
    Apparently, there will be a series in 2019, according to what I've read elsewhere. But Chibnall and Jodie might well be on their way out after that.

doctorwhotv.co.uk/rumour-series-12-in-2019-chibnall-whittaker-leaving-after-89504.htm

Can't help being surprised as to Chibnall saying that doing a full series a year is unsustainable". Well, how did the other showrunners managed to do it, then? And in the days of the classic series, it was worse.

Now, I'll have a few episodes to catch back on, given that I was on vacations, and doing other things, when the last four episodes were airing (either in Great Britain or in France), but so far, I liked what I saw (especially "Rosa"). We'll see if the rest is good.
  • I enjoyed the last two episodes, especially last night. Seems to be getting better now we're not having to suffer through episodes written by Chibnall. The opener wasn't dire and I thought Rosa was good too (actually was that written by him? Can't remember) but he's still been by far the worst thing about the new series.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Apparently, there will be a series in 2019, according to what I've read elsewhere. But Chibnall and Jodie might well be on their way out after that.

doctorwhotv.co.uk/rumour-series-12-in-2019-chibnall-whittaker-leaving-after-89504.htm

Can't help being surprised as to Chibnall saying that doing a full series a year is unsustainable". Well, how did the other showrunners managed to do it, then? And in the days of the classic series, it was worse.

Now, I'll have a few episodes to catch back on, given that I was on vacations, and doing other things, when the last four episodes were airing (either in Great Britain or in France), but so far, I liked what I saw (especially "Rosa"). We'll see if the rest is good.

Hope this is true. I'm sure there are so many more talented writers who'd love the job. I'm in two minds about Jodie Whittaker. On the one hand I'd like to see if she'd improve without Chibnall because I've liked her in other stuff. On the other hand though that's a risk because would she improve with better writing? I'm not sure. She still hasn't done much to impress me and I think a good actor can elevate a bad script. Bradley Walsh is still shining for example despite the majority of the episodes being poor.

On balance I think I'd like her to go as well. It's getting better at the minute but I feel like as soon as we get to the next Chibnall written episode it'll be back to square one. The doctor seems miscast, two out of three of the other regulars are forgettable and the worst writer working on the show currently is the showrunner. The next fresh start can't come soon enough imo.

To be fair is this still not higher than the last couple of seasons with Capaldi? And the show definitely seems to be reaching more people again as well. Even if we all hate it I can't imagine the BBC aren't happy.
    I too forgot the episode was on, mainly because I was excitedly anticipating the new Louis Theroux documentary on BBC 2. But I did catch up with the episode this morning out of morbid curiosity and was pleasantly surprised- to me, this episode was classic Doctor Who, nicely paced with a great supporting cast. The robots were genuinely quite creepy and well designed, a first for this series. I might even go as far to say this episode also tops anything we got last series with Capaldi. Although, this late in the series, I can’t help but feel too much damage has been done already, but I remain optimistic for the next three episodes, which may just salvage this series for me (I’m dreading having to sit through another Chibnall episode, however).
    (I’m dreading having to sit through another Chibnall episode, however).

Sadly, there are two more Chibnall episodes for this series if we count the New Year's special.

I enjoyed the last two episodes, especially last night. Seems to be getting better now we're not having to suffer through episodes written by Chibnall. The opener wasn't dire and I thought Rosa was good too (actually was that written by him? Can't remember) but he's still been by far the worst thing about the new series.
    Gerard wrote: »

Hope this is true. I'm sure there are so many more talented writers who'd love the job. I'm in two minds about Jodie Whittaker. On the one hand I'd like to see if she'd improve without Chibnall because I've liked her in other stuff. On the other hand though that's a risk because would she improve with better writing? I'm not sure. She still hasn't done much to impress me and I think a good actor can elevate a bad script. Bradley Walsh is still shining for example despite the majority of the episodes being poor.

On balance I think I'd like her to go as well. It's getting better at the minute but I feel like as soon as we get to the next Chibnall written episode it'll be back to square one. The doctor seems miscast, two out of three of the other regulars are forgettable and the worst writer working on the show currently is the showrunner. The next fresh start can't come soon enough imo.

To be fair is this still not higher than the last couple of seasons with Capaldi? And the show definitely seems to be reaching more people again as well. Even if we all hate it I can't imagine the BBC aren't happy.

It is, but not by much, and considering this was a desperate attempt to change the falling ratings, they are already falling again. Series opened at 10 million, and the overnight has sunk down to bellow 6 million. Episode 7 had 5.93 (consolidated will be around 7-8, closer to 8), which is up slightly over the previous episodes 5.77 million.
    The show is not doing well in America the viewing figures have not been good there at all.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Dr Who Official on twitter asked who people thought the best villain had been this series. As you can imagine the most popular reply was 'Chris Chibnall'.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Dr Who Official on twitter asked who people thought the best villain had been this series. As you can imagine the most popular reply was 'Chris Chibnall'.

Ahahahahaha. Very good.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,369
    Season 11 still has some fans, I have got attacked online a few times because I said I did not like it, I have been accused of not being a real fan for not liking the show, some have assumed I am not from England so from there point of view that means I don't get what DW is about. Lol
    As a foreigner living and working in the UK, Incan unfortunately attest to that being an ugly British trait. When you disagree on anything you’re reminded that your opinion doesn’t count if you’re not a native.
    Strange attitude and a shame to see it creep in to the Dr Who discourse.
    TR007 wrote: »
    As a foreigner living and working in the UK, Incan unfortunately attest to that being an ugly British trait. When you disagree on anything you’re reminded that your opinion doesn’t count if you’re not a native.
    Strange attitude and a shame to see it creep in to the Dr Who discourse.

The people who say these things are oblivious to the fact they are being discriminative, I am English and did not feel the need to tell them as nationality is totally irrelevant.

I love Star Trek and know all the shows and movies inside out, because I am not American in no way devalues my love or knowledge of the shows.