'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »
    Dr Who Official on twitter asked who people thought the best villain had been this series. As you can imagine the most popular reply was 'Chris Chibnall'.

Cnjs.gif
    Season 11 still has some fans, I have got attacked online a few times because I said I did not like it, I have been accused of not being a real fan for not liking the show, some have assumed I am not from England so from there point of view that means I don't get what DW is about. Lol

Season 11 has a lot more fans than you want to believe, somehow you are under the illusion you are right in thinking that everybody dislikes the new Doctor or season. And you'd be wrong.

As for the Doctor Who fandom they are far more rabid than the average 007 fan, and they are pretty outspoken, the website Graigisnotbond happened once but is kinda tame compared to the Whovians. I remember a female writer in one of the earlier seasons of New Who got buckets of bile dropped om her head and it was very personal as well. the website Gallifrey actually banned some of these clowns and took the threads down because of the vitriol it contained.

With the Doctor Who fans you got avid defenders of their Doctor so don't be so surprised to find them defending their Doctor.

As for Jodie her latest episode was great and can be listed as one of the better episodes of New Who. Her two historicals are about great moments where they chose to be respectful instead of the Doctor saving the day, which made a change in style less testosterone-like solutions, more like a mirror which somehow reflects to our modern day. Overall she has had a decent to great run in her first season with decent enough ratings in these changing TV watching times.

A lot of complaining started when she was announced and to many have found to their satisfaction that they can now say it is about the quality in the new series, which is rubbish most New Who and classic who series had episodes where not that great. And she is no different than any Doctor before her, except she is a girl. Which actually is what most of the Nay-sayers have against their "favorite" show.

And not unlike the 007 series after Craig we can expect Sunshine again, or so one can hope.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I did question whether my own dislike of Jodie Whittaker was down to her being female.

But thinking back it took me half a season to warm to Matt Smith, simply because he had taken over from David Tennant who I had enjoyed so much.

As for Jodie I had reservations when I realised she was the girl with no personality from Broadchurch. And sure enough, in Dr Who I found that far from looking at the Doctor (as everyone should be doing), I was watching Bradley Walsh.

So, yes I was dead against a female DW, BUT more than willing to be won over. I just can't be doing with an uncharismatic Doctor.

I hope she does ok though, she's clearly a lovely person. But, I'm out.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,271
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Season 11 still has some fans, I have got attacked online a few times because I said I did not like it, I have been accused of not being a real fan for not liking the show, some have assumed I am not from England so from there point of view that means I don't get what DW is about. Lol

Season 11 has a lot more fans than you want to believe, somehow you are under the illusion you are right in thinking that everybody dislikes the new Doctor or season. And you'd be wrong.

As for the Doctor Who fandom they are far more rabid than the average 007 fan, and they are pretty outspoken, the website Graigisnotbond happened once but is kinda tame compared to the Whovians. I remember a female writer in one of the earlier seasons of New Who got buckets of bile dropped om her head and it was very personal as well. the website Gallifrey actually banned some of these clowns and took the threads down because of the vitriol it contained.

With the Doctor Who fans you got avid defenders of their Doctor so don't be so surprised to find them defending their Doctor.

As for Jodie her latest episode was great and can be listed as one of the better episodes of New Who. Her two historicals are about great moments where they chose to be respectful instead of the Doctor saving the day, which made a change in style less testosterone-like solutions, more like a mirror which somehow reflects to our modern day. Overall she has had a decent to great run in her first season with decent enough ratings in these changing TV watching times.

A lot of complaining started when she was announced and to many have found to their satisfaction that they can now say it is about the quality in the new series, which is rubbish most New Who and classic who series had episodes where not that great. And she is no different than any Doctor before her, except she is a girl. Which actually is what most of the Nay-sayers have against their "favorite" show.

And not unlike the 007 series after Craig we can expect Sunshine again, or so one can hope.

I am under no illusions and I am aware some people like season 11 which I clearly wrote.
    If I visit Gallifrey the Who website I notice a vocal minority who dislikes Whitaker as the Doctor, the overall majority seems to really like her and another vocal minority attacks you being a Who fan because you dislike her. Extremist views are always suspect.

The same applies to the 007 fandom how many Bond fans have not been accused by other fans for not being a 007 fan because they are not a fan of say the Craig era. Which is really rubbish in my view. You can be a fan in so many aspects and accusing people of not being a fan because they honestly are being open about their taste generally is stupid.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Thought this might be enjoyable for you.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    If I visit Gallifrey the Who website I notice a vocal minority who dislikes Whitaker as the Doctor, the overall majority seems to really like her and another vocal minority attacks you being a Who fan because you dislike her. Extremist views are always suspect.

The same applies to the 007 fandom how many Bond fans have not been accused by other fans for not being a 007 fan because they are not a fan of say the Craig era. Which is really rubbish in my view. You can be a fan in so many aspects and accusing people of not being a fan because they honestly are being open about their taste generally is stupid.

Well said,i cant fault that post at all,my view entirely.
    Personally I have nothing against Jodie,just the writing and the PC brigade attitude.
    If it was just Jodie and Brad I think it would be better as well,as they would have more time for banter with eachother etc.
    But I realise that they need young blood in the show for the younger audience.
    I have stopped watching the series after episode 3 but I will tune in again next series,once they have learned from their mistakes.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    If they have learned from their mistakes. Chibnall might be under the illusion he hasn't put a foot wrong.

Though there is a rumour going around that Chibnall & Whittaker might go after series 12. According to the rumour, Chibnall never wanted the job, and Whittaker wont continue without him.
    If they have learned from their mistakes. Chibnall might be under the illusion he hasn't put a foot wrong.

Though there is a rumour going around that Chibnall & Whittaker might go after series 12. According to the rumour, Chibnall never wanted the job, and Whittaker wont continue without him.

Good point Major...IF.

Well if both go then I think its for the best anyway,its an experiment that's not working for me,personally.
    If indeed, they both go, it begs the question: where does the show go from there?

Also, happy Doctor Who day everyone. The show turns 55 today.

15.jpg?quality=90&resize=620,413
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Happy Birthday Doctor Who...

hDE2C872A
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I was proper carried away by that theme tune medley. So much excitement encapsulated!!
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I was proper carried away by that theme tune medley. So much excitement encapsulated!!

It really is a timeless theme, pun not intended :)
    Shock horror S11 Episode 8 was actually ok, easily the best constructed episode of the season. The performances for the most part felt more natural and this was easily Jodie's best episode as the Doctor, I could have seen any of the Doctors in this episode. Some parts did drag though I laughed a couple of times, it had a Hammer Horror feel of sorts which helped.
    Well, the est Tom Baker episodes were almost always inspired by Hammer Horror.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Well, the est Tom Baker episodes were almost always inspired by Hammer Horror.

I own them arguably one of the best periods of DW.
    Another excellent historical in this series, for those who complain of course there can be found a parallel to our times when it comes to the idea of witch hunts, but still a very decent episode.
  • I thought last night was pretty good up to the end when the zombie things started talking. I really felt that the sci fi side took away from the historical side in this one. It was good, but I think if they hadn't had to shoehorn in the aliens and focused on the witch hunts themselves it could have been brilliant. Also the best Jodie has been so far but I'm still not loving her at all to be honest. Might go back and watch Capaldi's run properly because I sort of switched off after his first series but his last one was great and this new series is really making me miss him and Moffat. I should go back and give his second series a proper chance.

Also that Tarantino bit was the best line of the series imo. Bradley Walsh is great and I've really warmed to Ryan as well, I like both of them a lot. Yaz feels pointless though. If he wanted a bigger cast I don't get why Chibnall didn't keep Pearl Mackie or Matt Lucas on? They were great and wouldn't need as much development because we already got to know them last series. Introducing so many new characters all at once (new doctor and three new companions) was a mistake imo.
    I thought last night was pretty good up to the end when the zombie things started talking. I really felt that the sci fi side took away from the historical side in this one. It was good, but I think if they hadn't had to shoehorn in the aliens and focused on the witch hunts themselves it could have been brilliant. Also the best Jodie has been so far but I'm still not loving her at all to be honest. Might go back and watch Capaldi's run properly because I sort of switched off after his first series but his last one was great and this new series is really making me miss him and Moffat. I should go back and give his second series a proper chance.

Also that Tarantino bit was the best line of the series imo. Bradley Walsh is great and I've really warmed to Ryan as well, I like both of them a lot. Yaz feels pointless though. If he wanted a bigger cast I don't get why Chibnall didn't keep Pearl Mackie or Matt Lucas on? They were great and wouldn't need as much development because we already got to know them last series. Introducing so many new characters all at once (new doctor and three new companions) was a mistake imo.

Capaldi is certainly a Doctor that has improved for me with repeated viewings, I rewatched his era recently. Capaldi's second season is mixed though I liked the second two parter and 2 of the last 3 episodes I thought were very good without spoiling anything.

Regarding this season I think the writers are really struggling to give the companions anything to do, Graham for me is the only one that has got any kind of development and he gets some decent dialog.

Keeping Lucas and Mackie would certainly have helped the new Doctor transition, though the BBC were adamant it was a clean slate right across the board if my memory serves me correctly.

I do like Jodie and is starting to develop her own Doctor, I just think the writing really has let her down. With 2 episodes to go we will see if they can finish on a high, though I have heard there is going to be a huge change to the Doctors back story which is worrying.
  • though I have heard there is going to be a huge change to the Doctors back story which is worrying.

To be honest that sounds exciting to me because at least they're doing something different. Taking a risk. Moffat was hit and miss but he always did his best to keep the show fresh and his run was full of mad ideas. I just don't see that same level of imagination and boldness in the new series imo. It's all so bland and safe and dumbed down. I'd like them to take more risks, that's really what they need to do at the minute imo.

Do you have a source for this btw? My enthusiasm is too low for me to be bothered about spoiling it for myself at this point.
    though I have heard there is going to be a huge change to the Doctors back story which is worrying.

To be honest that sounds exciting to me because at least they're doing something different. Taking a risk. Moffat was hit and miss but he always did his best to keep the show fresh and his run was full of mad ideas. I just don't see that same level of imagination and boldness in the new series imo. It's all so bland and safe and dumbed down. I'd like them to take more risks, that's really what they need to do at the minute imo.

Do you have a source for this btw? My enthusiasm is too low for me to be bothered about spoiling it for myself at this point.

It was from several weeks off the top of my head I cant remember the link, ill see if I can find it.

I hope any changes are positive, I am a fan who likes episodes that are about DW lore, this season so far has not had much Lore.
    Look what's back :
    jodie-whittaker-new-year-4febe4e.png?quality=90&lb=556,370&background=white
    That is a subtle rainbow colour scheme. Almost as subtle as the question marks on the 7th Doctors jumper.
    All the Jodie/Doctor is missing now is Bungle, Zippie and George lol

cluster_rainbow.png?fit=1000%2C439&ssl=1

I have never been a fan of blatant Doctor Who costumes, I prefer the Doctor wearing outfits that pass as real looking clothes.
    Gerard wrote: »

Great art work again though I do have an issue with the pricing of these boxsets, now I know the price will likely drop though its currently listed at £56 on Amazon.
    Season 11 episode 9, wow what a muddled mess, I was in hysterics when I saw that
    Frog
    :)) this show has lost the plot.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 12,837
    I liked that one. Bit all over the place but I liked how trippy and weird it was. I think this series has been really bland so it was nice to get something genuinely high concept for a change, and Graham might be the best companion they've had on the show imo. The frog was a weird choice though. They could have just kept it appearing as Grace. Or maybe even someone the doctor has lost, missed opportunity there. Rose or Missy or someone.

I do think it's slowly got better over the last few weeks. But the finale is Chibnall again so I'm expecting it to be crap. Also think how stand alone the episodes have been have hurt this series. Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat would have given us a mental cliffhanger at this point, something to get us excited at how they're going to wrap things up. But there's really nothing to wrap up. There doesn't seem to be any overarching story at all apart from Ryan warming to Graham (odds on Graham dying in the next one now that they've bonded? Can't see Bradley Walsh doing more than one series). I guess maybe the bad guys from the first episode will pop up again in the finale since they got a mention in the second one? Yay.