'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

I really loved the show with Whitaker, she brought us a different Doctor, with whom I could relax and enjoy, an improvement of that Doctor Who series that had become a bit over the top godlike creature called the Doctor. She was a step back to the more subtle and alien that could make mistakes. Lovely I hope they bring some interesting new episodes.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I'm with you, @SaintMark. The recent series has been far closer to the ethos and values I enjoyed when I was a kid, moving away from the Star Wars-like behemoth it had become.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2019 Posts: 23,376
    Jodie so far is far below Davidson at his worst, bland and has as much character depth as a stick of celery. My first Doctors were the God like Tom Baker and reruns of the equally God like Pertwee, exciting imaginative stories that pushed the envelope.

Doctor Who is great in that it's broad that each Doctor will appeal to many different people, though the current Doctor due to extremely unimaginative writing is very poor IMO.

The Moffat era was extreme highs and lows though the stories when good made you think about what you watched days after an episode, the last series by Chibnall I barely thought during any single episode whilst it was on.

The more time passes the more I appreciate Capaldi's Doctor I was not keen on many of his episodes though his performances as the Doctor were good.

I am appreciating McCoy alot more its a shame that in his era the show was dead man walking.

Whether it be Doctor Who or Star Trek at the high point I expect moments of greatness, anything below that is not good enough.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    i don't have much to say on current Doctor Who. I saw the first episode, and only that episode of the last series. I was allready loosing interest thanks to Series 10. Having listened to Whittaker and co. running their mouths about the fans, I haven't felt the need to see anymore. What with Big Finish and my Who collection, I have enough to keep me going until the next era. In a little over a fortnight, The Macra Terror is released.

Also, more McCoy appreciation can only be a good thing. But then, i'm biased.

m90sd2.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I really should make the time to start listening to Big Finish I have not got round to buying any serials as yet.

I'll keep watching DW in hope it will remember how to present the character correctly.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 616
    I really should make the time to start listening to Big Finish I have not got round to buying any serials as yet.

Big Finish is basically doing what the TV program should have been doing for the past several years -- delivering quality stories. Even with the disadvantage of audio-only!

The Eighth Doctor sets, in particular, are excellent, to the point that I consider Paul McGann to still be the current, ongoing Doctor.
    I have load of the eight Doctor BF audios and they are the early ones, and then quite a few of the various doctors from number one up. So I agree I do enjoy the BF audios. And Sylvester McCoy is still a splendid Doctor even if Tom Baker is my all time favorite he was the one I saw first and scared the living daylights out of me being a wee lad.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm sort of the other way around, @SaintMark. Sylv is my absolute favourite, while Baker has moved up a few places in my ranking. I'd say right now.... Terror Of The Zygons is my favourite 4th Doctor story (of the ones I have seen). I still have a few gaps in my 4th Doctor DVDs.
    For me exact the other way around @MajorDSmythe Tom Baker is my al time favorite and the more I hear or see of Sylvester I do like him.
    For those in the UK, if you're missing your Who fix you can often catch an audio adventure on Radio 4 Extra: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b009szrh/episodes/player

A good way of trying them out if you're on the fence about investing in Big Finish.
    I grew up with the legends that are Pertwee and Baker.

The only one to rival them IMO is Tennant.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I grew up with the legends that are Pertwee and Baker.

The only one to rival them IMO is Tennant.

looking back now I find Matt Smith actually better than Tennant, his dance at Rory and Amy's wedding remains still one of my most favorite moments of New Who.

The most emotional is Sarah Jane finding the Tardis in the basement of the school and meeting the Doctor again.
    Patrick Troughton was my first genuine Doctor. I can still remember The Evil of the Daleks and The Tomb of the Cybermen scaring me so much that I’d squeeze myself behind the sofa and peek out from behind it. Seriously, me and my sister actually did this hiding behind the sofa routine during the majority of Troughton’s tenure. By the time Pertwee took over I was more confident and didn’t feel the need to seek cover anymore. I do remember going to see the original Dr. Who exhibition on the Golden Mile, Blackpool, sometime in 1974 at the end of Pertwee’s era, then returning the following year to see it updated again with monsters from Tom Baker’s first season, including The Robot K1, the introduction of Davros, and the Sontaran. These Blackpool exhibitions were extremely well-done, and you basically walked through different set-up after different set-up much like Madame Tussauds with its own piece of production set taken from the show, with the original Dr. Who theme and sound effects playing over loud speakers. Strangely, I can still picture vividly the glowing maggots from The Green Death episode that were given their own giant showcase there. Did anyone else go to this fantastic exhibit during the Seventies?
    Covers for The Macra Terror :

image.php?pid=26909&w=500

image.php?pid=26908

image.php?pid=26907

image.php?pid=26906

And list of the bonuses :
    Audio Commentary: Toby Hadoke presents an audio commentary track on all four episodes of ‘The Macra Terror’, featuring cast and crew from the original 1967 production - Frazer Hines (Jamie), Terence Lodge (Medok), Anthony Gardner (Alvis), Maureen Lane (Majorette) and director, John Davies. Commentary produced by John Kelly and recorded in London on 4th January 2019.
    Episode Reconstructions: Surviving film frames, fragments of existing footage and set photographs are brought together with the original unedited audio to reconstruct a presentation of the original now lost live-action production of ‘The Macra Terror’, as seen by viewers of BBC 1 in 1967. Produced by Derek Handley. Available to watch with or without an optional narration track read by Anneke Wills.
    Bonus Mini-Episode: A ten-minute animated short, built around an otherwise lost Doctor Who episode from 1968 starring Patrick Troughton and Frazer Hines. Directed by AnneMarie Walsh.
    Animation Test: Prior to the project being formally commissioned, this short animation test (of a scene from episode 3 of ‘The Macra Terror’) was produced in March 2018, to investigate the feasibility of mounting the production in full.
    Animatics: A selection of scenes showing how the new animated production of ‘The Macra Terror’ went from initial storyboards to final animation. Storyboard art by Adrian Salmon.
    Animation Gallery: A gallery of artwork from the development, pre-production and animation of the new animated version of ‘The Macra Terror’, including character art from Martin Geraghty and background paintings from Graham Bleathman, Colin Howard and Lydia Butz.
    Teaser Trailer: A short teaser trailer animated by Rob Ritchie, produced to promote the announcement of a new production of ‘The Macra Terror’ in December 2018.
    Alternative Black and White presentation: The full four-part animation is also available to view in an alternative black and white format on disc 2.
    1992 Audio Presentation: In 1992, the BBC Audio Collection released ‘The Macra Terror’ on audio cassette, in a special release narrated by Colin Baker. It was the first time that the story had been made commercially available by the BBC and that audio-only release is included here in full. Surviving Footage: Less than two minutes of original footage still exist from the 1967 production of ‘The Macra Terror’. These film fragments have been painstakingly restored and digitally remastered for this release, with considerable improvements made to the overall picture quality and resolution of this unique footage. Film restoration by Peter Crocker.
    Behind the scenes film: In 1967, during pre-production of ‘The Macra Terror’, film cameras visited the visual effects workshop in Uxbridge where work was underway on construction of the Macra props. Special effects props and models from other Doctor Who stories can also be seen in the workshop, including parts of a Cyberman from ‘The Tenth Planet’ (1966) and an aeroplane from ‘The Faceless Ones’ (1967). This footage is accompanied by a new audio commentary track from Doctor Who visual effects designer and BBC visual effects historian, Mike Tucker, explaining some of the effects techniques and props featured in the film.
    Censored Scene: A reconstruction of a scene from episode 2 of ‘The Macra Terror’ that was heavily re-edited by censors for the episode’s Australian television transmission in November 1967.
    Title sequences: ‘The Macra Terror’ saw the debut of a new title sequence for Doctor Who - the first time the programme had made such a change. The title sequence is presented here in full, remastered in HD and in a number of alternative versions.
    Photo gallery: A collection of 36 photographs taken during the production of ‘The Macra Terror’ in 1967, featuring original design department set photographs and Radio Times publicity images. All presented in HD.
    Production Paperwork: A full set of original camera scripts, studio schedules, floor plans and other materials are available to view by accessing disc 2 via your computer’s DVD or Blu Ray ROM drive.
    Additional extras exclusive to Steelbook:
    Gridlock: The Macra returned to Doctor Who in 2007, in this episode starring David Tennant and written by Russell T. Davies
    Audio commentary: Julie Gardner, Travis Oliver and Marie Jones discuss the making of 'Gridlock' in this audio commentary track from 2007.
    Doctor Who Confidential – Are we there yet?: A documentary looking at the making of the 2007 story, 'Gridlock'.
    Wow... that's a lot of extras. Though the first thing i'll be doing is flipping the cover around.
    Catch a preview at the BFI, plus a Q&A with Anneke Wills, on Saturday 16th March (I'll be out of the country and I am Very Annoyed about that):

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::permalink=doctorwhomacraterror&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=

This is a nice set

I have just subscribed to Audible and have a free Audiobooks credit, which Big Finish story should I listen too first? Any recommendations?

Interesting whilst looking into Big Finish, I discovered Spotify have some of the early stories to stream for free.

Edited: My first Big Finish story will be... Blood of the Daleks. Free on Spotify.
    Scalpers have again been snatching up the new B&M exclusive 5.5" Action Figure packs, and selling them on ebay for a massive profit. I missed out on the 3rd Doctor & Tardis set from last year. But I called into one of my local B&M stores earlier, and managed to pick up the following:

1970's Set (4th Doctor - The Brigadier - Auton) **Reissue**
    4th Doctor & TARDIS

Interesting there is a B&M store half a mile from me though never thought to go in in fact had no idea what they sold, I'll have a look at the store tomorrow.
    There's a two other sets as well. One is Missy - 12th Doctor - Bill, and there's also a Oswin - 12th Doctor - Amy set. But it is the two pack of a Doctor and TARDIS that the scalpers have been clearing the stores out of. Until today, I had no 4th Doctor figures in my collection, so I was pleased that I was able to get not one but two. If you want the 4th Doctor & TARDIS set, I really wouldn't leave it too long to call in and have a look.
    There's a two other sets as well. One is Missy - 12th Doctor - Bill, and there's also a Oswin - 12th Doctor - Amy set. But it is the two pack of a Doctor and TARDIS that the scalpers have been clearing the stores out of. Until today, I had no 4th Doctor figures in my collection, so I was pleased that I was able to get not one but two. If you want the 4th Doctor & TARDIS set, I really wouldn't leave it too long to call in and have a look.

I don't have many DW items other than the odd Cyberman head, though my nephew has a collection so I'll buy him some. Though any Classic Doctor items I maybe tempted to buy for myself.
    Looks as if The Macra Terror has been pushed back a week to the 25th.
    I was just browsing the web looking for an old booklet I used to have called the Dr Who Space Adventure Book which was given away with Walls Sky Ray ice lollipops back in 1967. I’m willing to bet I’m one of the few members here that remembers this.

1967-dr-space-adventure-book-walls_360_fa99904fef08515b5efb07f60c2a608b.jpg

The TV commercial looked like this...

Ah, when Dr. Who used to be good.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 13,936
    I won't watch that trailer just yet, as coincidentally, I just started watching season 18 tonight for the first time! Bizarre decision to change the intro at this point in Baker's run.
    QBranch wrote: »
    I won't watch that trailer just yet, as coincidentally, I just started watching season 18 tonight for the first time! Bizarre decision to change the intro at this point in the Baker's run.

Very wise the trailer gives alot away, it's a good season I won't say anymore... Enjoy
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Thanks mate, and cheers for uploading it though. I watched the first ten seconds before realizing it's the season I'm on, and saw that the quality looks amazing. In fact, I've been watching old copies of the series on a frame width of 640 or less, so seeing the first few seconds of the video had me confused - I thought I was watching a trailer for next year's season til I saw Tom Baker :))
    QBranch wrote: »
    Thanks mate, and cheers for uploading it though. I watched the first ten seconds before realizing it's the season I'm on, and saw that the quality looks amazing. In fact, I've been watching old copies of the series on a frame width of 640 or less, so seeing the first few seconds of the video had me confused - I thought I was watching a trailer for next year's season til I saw Tom Baker :))

I have had most of the shows on VHS and dvd at some point and rewatched series 18 last year, I watched 18 when it originally aired when I was a kid. Certain scenes from 18 stuck with me all my life, you will know them when they happen.

It's amazing what they have done with the Bluray the only thing stopping me buying them is the price.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 13,894
    https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Wheel-in-Space/dp/B07FDNRPJW/ref=sr_1_824?fst=as:off&qid=1555015465&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin:2650304011&rnid=2650303011&s=movies-tv&sr=1-824

The listing looks to have been up for a few months (nothing on the UK site), going of the dates of the reviews. Following a bit of digging around I found this:

https://sciencefiction.com/2018/12/06/doctor-resurrects-macra-terror-animated-dvd/

"Following on the heels of last month’s announcement that the Patrick Troughton-era story ‘The Wheel in Space’ would be coming to DVD with the missing episodes reconstructed with animation, the BBC has announced another classic serial will be receiving the same treatment."

Apparently, an animated release of The Wheel In Space was announced last year. I don't remember an announcement. Anyone else?