'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• edited April 2019 Posts: 5,808
    Next series to get the Blu-Ray treatment, the fourth season of Jon Pertwee's Doctor :

image.php?pid=26960&w=300

doctorwhonews.net/2019/04/season-ten-160419120008.html

One of the best, IMHO.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/showbiz/mysterious-signs-popping-up-around-16118595

Could just be some fan having a laugh or could be related to filming so possible spoiler here.
    If it's true then I'm not sure how I feel. I think this is the perfect way to bring the Master back. I said after the series 10 finale that they should just bring Simm back if they ever wanted to use The Master again, and have him regenerate into a new actor when he eventually doesn't want to, and going from there, keeping Missy as a future regeneration so that her perfect ending can actually be the end of the character.

But still, I don't know if I want this to happen right now. John Simm is a brilliant actor that the show hasn't used nearly enough but I think scripts like we got in the last series would be pretty wasted on someone as good as him. And it feels too soon. We've had a lot of that character over the last few years and Steven Moffat used them perfectly. I don't trust Chibnall to do the same.

When the Master eventually comes back (I'd be happy if they never did after that brilliant ending but I'm sure they'll bring him back at some point), I do think it should be Simm. But I don't really want that to happen right now.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/showbiz/mysterious-signs-popping-up-around-16118595

Could just be some fan having a laugh or could be related to filming so possible spoiler here.
    If it's true then I'm not sure how I feel. I think this is the perfect way to bring the Master back. I said after the series 10 finale that they should just bring Simm back if they ever wanted to use The Master again, and have him regenerate into a new actor when he eventually doesn't want to, and going from there, keeping Missy as a future regeneration so that her perfect ending can actually be the end of the character.

But still, I don't know if I want this to happen right now. John Simm is a brilliant actor that the show hasn't used nearly enough but I think scripts like we got in the last series would be pretty wasted on someone as good as him. And it feels too soon. We've had a lot of that character over the last few years and Steven Moffat used them perfectly. I don't trust Chibnall to do the same.

When the Master eventually comes back (I'd be happy if they never did after that brilliant ending but I'm sure they'll bring him back at some point), I do think it should be Simm. But I don't really want that to happen right now.

Probably best to do that after Chibnall leaves, if memory serves Chib and Whittacker are only doing one more season thankfully.

Probably best to do that after Chibnall leaves, if memory serves Chib and Whittacker are only doing one more season thankfully.

I agree, don't have any faith in Chibnall to pull it off and think Whittaker would be completely outclassed against someone that charismatic and scene stealing, but I've got a bad feeling that this will turn out to be true. The whole brand new, fresh start thing didn't seem to work out very well for them with the last series so I could easily see them wheeling out some old favourites to try and win the fans back around.
    https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Wheel-in-Space/dp/B07FDNRPJW/ref=sr_1_824?fst=as:off&qid=1555015465&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin:2650304011&rnid=2650303011&s=movies-tv&sr=1-824

The listing looks to have been up for a few months (nothing on the UK site), going of the dates of the reviews. Following a bit of digging around I found this:

https://sciencefiction.com/2018/12/06/doctor-resurrects-macra-terror-animated-dvd/

"Following on the heels of last month’s announcement that the Patrick Troughton-era story ‘The Wheel in Space’ would be coming to DVD with the missing episodes reconstructed with animation, the BBC has announced another classic serial will be receiving the same treatment."

Apparently, an animated release of The Wheel In Space was announced last year. I don't remember an announcement. Anyone else?

I remember reading somewhere that The Wheel in Space would be a telesnap reconstruction rather than animated.
    There's an extract among the bonus of The Macra Terror.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2019 Posts: 23,337

I agree, don't have any faith in Chibnall to pull it off and think Whittaker would be completely outclassed against someone that charismatic and scene stealing, but I've got a bad feeling that this will turn out to be true. The whole brand new, fresh start thing didn't seem to work out very well for them with the last series so I could easily see them wheeling out some old favourites to try and win the fans back around.

I will be glad when this current era of DW is over though I am not sure anything that follows it will be any better. The best we can hope for is to at least have good writers/story tellers in the future.
    Still brings a tear to my eyes, that one does.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 23,337
    Gerard wrote: »
    Still brings a tear to my eyes, that one does.

It's a great scene

----

Doctor Who is at its best when understated, I am due a Pertwee era revisit.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 5,808

I still get a chuckle out of that one.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Looking forward to seeing them return, they were very memorable.

I miss Tennant in the role - I'll get to rewatch his era in around 2-3 months. I've been viewing the series in order since earlier this year, and have just started on the 6th Doctor. I'll try to time it perfectly to get through the remainder of old/new Who episodes before Jodie returns.
    Nic !

Now, here's a rumour that's making the rounds right now. I put the link under spoilers, because if it is true...

But I am very skeptical about that.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I've been rewatching, these past few weeks, the Smith seasons for the first time in years and years. Still love 'em. So my 'Nu Who' era. Smith, along with Tom Baker (of course), is definitely *my* Doctor. The Ponds depart in the next episode - eek! ;)
    It's official : The Faceless Ones is being animated, and will be out on DVD and Blu-Ray in 2020 :

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2019/06/04/the-faceless-ones-to-be-animated-for-dvd-and-blu-ray/

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Gerard wrote: »
    It's official : The Faceless Ones is being animated, and will be out on DVD and Blu-Ray in 2020 :

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2019/06/04/the-faceless-ones-to-be-animated-for-dvd-and-blu-ray/

Nice. I'm still waiting for Fury From The Deep, but this is still another Troughton story for the collection. Roll on 2020.
    Just heard that a familiar face is going to appear in the 12th season : Anjli Mohindra. But she won't be playing the same part as in The Sarah Jane Adventures, although there's a connection :

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2019/06/11/a-sarah-jane-adventures-actor-is-starring-in-doctor-who-series-12/
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Get your wallets ready, as B&M will be selling more Doctor Who figure sets sometime in the next few weeks. One is believed to be a 5th Doctor & TARDIS set, an 8th Dotor set is also on the cards, as well as a 7th Doctor set this is possibly linked to Big Finish. Given how scalpers were with the 3rd Doctor and TARDIS set (seriously, look at the prices on ebay :-O ), I would recommend having you wallets or purses on standby.
    I guess this is our first proper look at BCS' 1:6 Third Doctor:

33b96d431b2d75569c28f60c221a1d52.jpg

Looking pretty good.
    Nice Doctors I loved Pertwee.
    Pertwee will always be my favourite,i grew up with him and then Tom Baker.
    Happy days.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYLdsAakiP9OrNHqKED1q8NDAE0TdYjonE2LqQkAqPzgEDjQpP6Q

pqTCsK6.jpg

latest?cb=20161223215255
    Next in the classic series blu-ray collection, series 23, AKA "The Trial of a Time Lord :

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-season-23-blu-ray-full-details-special-features/

season-23.jpg

And here's the trailer :

I must say, I laughed out loud at the end.
    That is pretty impressive!
    We now know why Cardiff was made up to look like Paris during the Occupation : the next historical figure the Doctor will meet is none other than SOE agent Noor Inayat Khan, played by belgian actress Aurora Marion.

https://cultbox.co.uk/features/doctor-who-series-12-episode-2-features-french-resistance-heroine

Noor-Inayat-Khan-600x337.jpg

Rumour also has it that K-pop BTS would appear in a musical episode. But I don't believe it.
    The trailer for the blu-ray release of series 10 (the fourth Pertwee series) has landed, and it's glorious :

The 2009 Specials ("The Next Doctor, "Planet of the Dead", "The Waters of Mars" and "The End of Time" parts one and two) will be released as a Blu-Ray Steelbook on september 2nd 2019 :

doctorwhonews.net/2019/07/david-tennant-specials-blu-ray-steelbook.html

image.php?pid=27062