What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• edited March 2017 Posts: 4,619
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Edgar Wright should never direct a Bond film.
    Well said. Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are decent movies, but Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and The World's End are just awful, not to mention that Wright himself is a whiny insufferable imbecile.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2017 Posts: 11,139
    Seems like some of you are finally catching on and looking beyond the silliness and shortsightedness of exclusive UK/Commonwealth directors/talent.

I think it's a shame that other films/franchises are snapping up rising talent or preexisting talent going on to do big and exciting things but with Bond it's the same ol' same old. Bringing back Purvis and Wade as writers sets off huge alarm bells and shows a complete lack of boldness, lack of real ambition and a great deal of short-sightedness. As things stand tge fact Purvis and Wade are in board to write cements that EoN are STILL playing catchup to everyone else. As much as I love Bond the Bond name isn't enough. The artistic and creative components need to be on point and RE: Bond 25 we're already off to an underwhelming start.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Seems like some of you are finally catching on and looking beyond the silliness and shortsightedness of exclusive UK/Commonwealth directors/talent.

I think it's a shame that other films/franchises are snapping up rising talent or preexisting talent going on to do big and exciting things but with Bond it's the same ol' same old. Bringing back Purvis and Wade as writers sets off huge alarm bells and shows a complete lack of boldness, lack of real ambition and a great deal of short-sightedness. As things stand tge fact Purvis and Wade are in board to write cements that EoN are STILL playing catchup to everyone else. As much as I love Bond the Bond name isn't enough. The artistic and creative components need to be on point and RE: Bond 25 we're already off to an underwhelming start.

Disagree.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm all for new talent and actually think it's necessary, but since we're already 1.5 years on from SP, in the interests of time I'm open to P&W's return, just so we can bloody get on with it. Being experienced hands will perhaps expedite the entire process.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm all for new talent and actually think it's necessary, but since we're already 1.5 years on from SP, in the interests of time I'm open to P&W's return, just so we can bloody get on with it. Being experienced hands will perhaps expedite the entire process.

Exactly and we don't want another Peter Morgan/John Logan like disaster.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think soderbergh is the perfect choice for where the franchise needs to go. He's kinda caught between the gap of journeyman and auteur. Stylistically he's more than willing to take big risks, but functionally he's a very focused, tight filmmaker. Despite how his films look, he knows the basics of how to tell a story well.

The series needs a creative shot of adrenaline to the brain, and who is better than Soderbergh for that. I think Nolan or those other big name directors would be looking to take the franchise in a certain direction, and we would end up getting bogged down again, having to dig ourselves out with retcons. I think Soderbergh would be primarily concerned with the story he's telling.
    I haven´t seen many of his films. The Ocean´s films, and Out of Sight. I remember that the Ocean´s films tend to be very exposition-heavy. Don´t know how represantative they are.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Soderbergh is an unlikely choice, but it seems to me that if Craig is going to stay and do one more Bond film, he will also have a hand in recruiting the director. And that gives Soderbergh a shot.
    The thread is supposed to be about directors, not actors, but since that was discussed, too, I have to ask about this:
    THIS is what the Bond's film need. No more naval-gazing and portentous gloom. No more Craig moping about his childhood. We need a stylish, fun, sexy film that's mischievous and damn cool. EON are seriously falling behind, whilst interesting talent is coming up.
    On the action front I most definitely agree, with regret.
    Also how great is Charlize? Can't we get her in one of his films.
    She is well past her prime, but should have been a shoo-in for a Bond film some years back. She's quite tall though, which perhaps ruled her out for the current iteration.

Charlize Theron is "well past her prime"? In what way?
    THIS is what the Bond's film need. No more naval-gazing and portentous gloom. No more Craig moping about his childhood. We need a stylish, fun, sexy film that's mischievous and damn cool. EON are seriously falling behind, whilst interesting talent is coming up.
    On the action front I most definitely agree, with regret.
    Also how great is Charlize? Can't we get her in one of his films.
    She is well past her prime, but should have been a shoo-in for a Bond film some years back. She's quite tall though, which perhaps ruled her out for the current iteration.
    That hasn't stopped any of the Mission: Impossible women from showing up next to Tom Cruise.
    They're all strategically shorter than Tom, no? Anyway, Cruise can carry any film with any actress. He's probably the only out there who has that 80's star power still.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1036572/For-size-James-Bond-wears-stacked-heels-hes-says-star.html

I agree that Theron could have made a good villainess in the past, but it can't happen now.

Why not?
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    I'm ready for a break from big-time filmmakers. Get a John Glen type.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Bring back Martin Campbell!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Yes! Campbell
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Who will, of course, turn 74 this year.
    And?
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Who will, of course, turn 74 this year.
    This has been discussed; he's a fit energetic 74. There are an impressive number of directors north of 70 who are still vital and productive. The main questions are, would they want him and would he want to do it. If the former is yes and Campbell has the hunger then at this time age is not an issue.
    Let him go for a triple play!
    I think he should close off Craig's run. He started it. He should finish it. :-bd
    And I am convinced that making a Bond film is a pretty exhausting thing to do, something a 75-76 year old (by the time of shooting?) might prefer to stay away from. Look, I'm all for Campbell myself, don't get me wrong. The man gave me two of the very best Bond films ever, two of my personal favorites anyway, and I'd love to have (gotten) more Campbell. But I also love my Bond films edgy and sharp, "shooting around the world" and not just in front of a blue screen, performing real stunts and not just some CGI trickery. Perhaps I'm wrong, but the energy required for such an enterprise could pose a problem to someone of Campbell's age, no matter how many second unit directors, stunt coordinators and the lot he's got to back him up. :-)
    Many of Eastwood' post 70 films have not been picnics. A persons vitality at any given age is unique . I've seen recent interviews with Campbell and he appears more than up to the task as are Eastwood, Miller and more.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I think he should close off Craig's run. He started it. He should finish it. :-bd
    I agree, put back together the CR band, including Arnold, and bookend Craig's run as 007.

No thanks. Campbell only introduces new Bond actors with a first film. He wouldn't return anyway unless he has creative freedom, he's said as much. He's not interested in trying to make sense out of the mess Mendes left.
    He would not have to deal with it; a strong stand alone that sends Craig off would be a great way to end his tenure.
    Disagree. The Craig films have always been marketed in a certain way, like telling the next significant chapter in a grand story. A standalone at this late stage wouldn't work with Craig. They can return to individual missions, but only once Craig departs.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Campbell said, prior to Craig's casting, that he would refuse to direct CR unless Henry Cavill was chosen as Bond.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 8,014
    Yes, we disagree on this one. ;) Mendes4lyfe
  • The age thing is a non-issue. You've got Ridley Scott pumping out Alien sequels (and producing the Blade Runner sequel) at the age of 80!
    talos7 wrote: »
    The main questions are, would they want him and would he want to do it. If the former is yes and Campbell has the hunger then at this time age is not an issue.
    Let him go for a triple play!

Considering he's just made and released an action-thriller full of fights and stunts and explosions and starring ex-Bond Brosnan, I think it's safe to say he'd be game.
    I'm not going to disparage Scott's achievements; he's doing good stuff. But if we must go there, I don't think he's quite as sharp as he used to be and in some ways his films demonstrate that. Also, the Bonds are more demanding, I believe, than films like Prometheus and Covenant.

But I don't want to belabour the point. Clearly I'm in a minority here and that's fine.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 8,161
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm not going to disparage Scott's achievements; he's doing good stuff. But if we must go there, I don't think he's quite as sharp as he used to be and in some ways his films demonstrate that. Also, the Bonds are more demanding, I believe, than films like Prometheus and Covenant.

But I don't want to belabour the point. Clearly I'm in a minority here and that's fine.

It depends which Bond films you're talking about. Surely Dr No isn't more demanding than Alien Covenant?
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Scott would have been a great choice for a Dalton Bond back in the day. Would have loved to see him direct Dalton's third in 1991.

It’s good to see Campbell out of director’s jail after he fiasco with Green Lantern.

When I first saw this trailer, I thought we could get a serious-minded action flick – however, as it goes on, the more ridiculous it becomes. Having said that, Campbell stages the action terrifically. Even in those brief glimpses seen here, you can tell that it has that brutal, crunchy and frenetic quality of CR.

He’s a bit past it now though.

I’d rather we got a young and edgy director than a “safe” choice. I’m really going to champion Edgar Wright for the job. But personally, I think it be awesome if Steve McQueen did a Bond film. I want something like “Logan” for Craig’s final film. Something that really takes some risks and sees Daniel off with style.

I think McQueen has class and he's British. He's an artist before being a film director and I think he'll imbue a more thoughtful and elegiac tone to the film. He's moving away from the art-house with his next film and going to genre material - so perhaps he's ready to go tent-pole?

Steve-McQueen-at-Oscars.jpg

Another great name that I think would be great is Lynne Ramsay. She's said she wants to do big movies and (like McQueen) is veering away from arty cinema and into the thriller sphere. Her latest film played at Cannes where it was said to be a pure thriller with some artistic leanings. Sounds pretty perfect to me.

• edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Would definitely like to see Steve McQueen do a Bond. 12 Years a Slave was atmospheric, taughtly written and directed and gripping. If nothing else he'd help knock the script into shape. If he brought even half that quality to Bond we'd be onto a winner. Keen to see how his current project turns out, which I believe is a regular studio thriller.

Have to say though that given his background as a filmmaker I would expect him to put some kind of political twist on any Bond film he directed - something which would probably divide fans and audiences. I personally would like to see a Bond film where for example Bond confronted the legacy of British imperialism/colonialism in an interesting way. Doesn't have to be in your face or necessarily 'anti-British' but an exploration of this aspect of the character is arguably well overdue IMO. It's Bond, so the point shouldn't be laboured, but I do think audiences are able to take a little more content these days.

He is though for me an obvious contender.

Here's a random non-Brit suggestion. Luca Guadagnino. He directed 'A Bigger Splash' with Fiennes and Swinton recently. And get Swinton on board as villain. Another obvious choice that's been passed up for years. Perfect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bigger_Splash_(film)