What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

Ex machina is a good film but not very bond so...... how does that prove him as a director for a bond film

The script for DREDD indicates that Garland can write a lean, efficient action thriller with clearly defined characters to keep the audience engaged. Actually, I think the same writing/directing team from that film (Garland & Travis) would do a marvelous job with Bond.

crastopher nolan
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    Jazz007 wrote: »
    Yeah - Jack Ryan wasn't very good (bad script, looks nice visually though).... But Henry V, Hamlet? Masterpieces. He can direct the hell out a good story.

Ex Machina was absolutely amazing - he'd be a good choice.
    Ex machina is a good film but not very bond so...... how does that prove him as a director for a bond film

If the objective is to tell a great story, then good directors who make good films are necessary.

Lewis Gilbert is a great storyteller - Alfie and Damn the Defiant weren't especially Bond-like but they were good movies and showed how good of a director Gilbert was. Turned out to be a great choice. Sam Mendes too wasn't making Bond-like movies but showed he could make one great one and one good one (I'll let the reader of this post decide which is which ;) )
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Damn it Gilbert is 97 otherwise he should come back
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Nah, two of his movies are Shiite.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Two out of how many?

I'd be up for Garland writing Bond.

Frankly anyone other than P+W
  • Getafix wrote: »
    Frankly anyone other than P+W

You're up for more John Logan then?
    Yikes. Danger lurks round every corner
    Paul Haggis.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    Jazz007 wrote: »
    Yeah - Jack Ryan wasn't very good (bad script, looks nice visually though).... But Henry V, Hamlet? Masterpieces. He can direct the hell out a good story.

Ex Machina was absolutely amazing - he'd be a good choice.
    To be fair Branagh had a pretty damn good screenwriter for those two films.

Paul Haggis.

I don't usually engage trolls, but... no. God no.

What a hoot that you of all people call me a troll. Sorry son, but I don't think you have a leg to stand on with this one.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Getafix wrote: »

He's directed like 3 and half movies how can he be given bond
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 11,425
    How many movies had Peter Hunt directed before OHMSS? He's directed an acclaimed TV series and multi Oscar nominated movie. It's more than or similar to a number of previous Bond directors.

Just think his work looks amazing and he has a good feel for atmosphere and suspense.
    Just saw the "Atomic Blonde" trailer - and it looks terrific.

People wanting a fun edgy Bond film, should possibly consider David Leitch (or the other John Wick dude).

THIS is what the Bond's film need. No more naval-gazing and portentous gloom. No more Craig moping about his childhood. We need a stylish, fun, sexy film that's mischievous and damn cool. EON are seriously falling behind, whilst interesting talent is coming up.

Also how great is Charlize? Can't we get her in one of his films.

atomic-blonde-charlize-theron1.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    THIS is what the Bond's film need. No more naval-gazing and portentous gloom. No more Craig moping about his childhood. We need a stylish, fun, sexy film that's mischievous and damn cool. EON are seriously falling behind, whilst interesting talent is coming up.
    On the action front I most definitely agree, with regret.
    She is well past her prime, but should have been a shoo-in for a Bond film some years back. She's quite tall though, which perhaps ruled her out for the current iteration.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,695
    I really doubt EON would ever hire one of the Wick directors for a Bond film (but I would love seeing such a film happen). Maybe they can prove their talent to EON by doing another John Wick/Atomic Blonde iteration and cast one of the Bond's in the main role. It would have to be Craig or Brosnan, the other 4 are too old to pull off the stuff that goes on in these Wick style films.
    Its interesting that, culturally, it's now very much OK to have a female hero who can fight, bleed, seduce etc etc, previously, only male leads could do this type of stuff (especially within the mainstream). Even with the more active of the Bond girls, they never really were that gritty. It does make you think, are we ready for a Bond girl who really is Bond's equal (and can we have a proper female double 0 role?)
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    bondjames wrote: »
    She is well past her prime, but should have been a shoo-in for a Bond film some years back. She's quite tall though, which perhaps ruled her out for the current iteration.
    That hasn't stopped any of the Mission: Impossible women from showing up next to Tom Cruise.

I think Charlize would be a wonderful addition to the Bond series, preferably as a villain. But considering that she seems to be doing that kind of role in the next Fast and Furious movie (what is it, 8 of those now?), Bond probably shouldn't happen.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    That hasn't stopped any of the Mission: Impossible women from showing up next to Tom Cruise.
    They're all strategically shorter than Tom, no? Anyway, Cruise can carry any film with any actress. He's probably the only out there who has that 80's star power still.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1036572/For-size-James-Bond-wears-stacked-heels-hes-says-star.html

I agree that Theron could have made a good villainess in the past, but it can't happen now.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Seeing her in the trailer for Atomic Blonde, I can see her taking on the henchperson role of a Bond movie. Imagine the fight between Bond and her.
    I'd prefer Bond go up against a real brute like Gina Carano. She'd do some damage, based on what she did to Fassbender in Haywire. Hinx who?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames you are a genius! Now I'd like a sequel to 'Atomic Blonde' where we get Charlize Theron, Gina Carano and Gal Gadot in a 3-way cat-fight.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @DaltonCraig007, I salivate at the thought.

I've wanted Carano as a henchwoman in a Bond film ever since I saw the unrelenting beatings she gave to Tatum (can't stand the guy, so that was an added bonus) and Fassbender in Haywire.

Gadot against Theron would be something spectacular as well!
    A director I’ve always been intrigued by (but always rejected) for the Bond gig is Edgar Wright.

Now I’ve had time to let it percolate, I’m really sold of Wright. He has his own idiosyncratic style, that’s hyper kinetic, comedic, subversive, but full of heart.

“The World’s End” does everything a Wright movie should do – it’s fun, energetic and drenched in genre conventions (which it simultaneously deconstructs). However, there is a tragic and melancholic quality to it – which elevates it significantly. It’s basically a small indie drama trapped inside a sci-fi film.

Wright’s style and comedic sensibilities are suited to getting at character, whilst keeping things fun and entertaining. Plus he can shoot action – maybe he has a tendency to make things a little cartoony, but he could calm this down if he was making something a little more grounded.

If the Bond series was to go in a direction which was a little looser and more “fun” (that word again) – then Wright would be perfect.

The only fear is his very individualistic style. In this sense, he’s a filmmaker more suited to working at his own scale, opposed to serving the big-budget machine. It’s the principal reason that he departed “Ant-Man” – that film would have been far more chaotic and ridiculous if he was at the helm (instead it was the typical safe project you’d expect from Marvel).

But I feel that EON have been making the move toward getting interesting directors who can put their own stamp on things.

Wright’s getting raves out of SXSW for “Baby Driver” – maybe EON should snatch him now. He’d be perfect for introducing a new Bond (if Craig’s back, then maybe someone more connected to his era should return – Campbell? Haggis? Mendes?).

Also, looking at his cast for “Baby Driver” – I can’t help but be drawn to ???. She’d make a perfect Bond girl.

edgar.jpg

rexfeatures_5470773h-e1450306709547.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1
    Just saw the "Atomic Blonde" trailer - and it looks terrific.

People wanting a fun edgy Bond film, should possibly consider David Leitch (or the other John Wick dude).

atomic-blonde-charlize-theron1.jpg

I think people have been saying this on and off for decades. Frankly it's usually about once every ten years that Bond seems to strike a chord these days.

I don't know whether that's EON's fault, or whether actually we should give them credit for just keeping the show on the road.

Much of the last quarter century looks like a missed opportunity for Bond IMO, when you see what has been going on. Why did Bond have to wait for Bourne to follow. Couldn't EON see that some radical change of direction was needed earlier? The 90s offered real potential that was largely squandered IMO.

• CigaretteLeiterCigaretteLeiter United States

New “Kong” photos are selling me to Hiddles though…

kongskullisland0016-1024x428.jpg

If you haven't seen the movie yet, I can tell you this much: I wasn't on the Hiddleston as Bond train before, but his first five minutes in the movie sold me instantly.

Also, the rest of the movie is a hybrid between Shin Gojira and Apocalypse Now.
    A director I’ve always been intrigued by (but always rejected) for the Bond gig is Edgar Wright.

Now I’ve had time to let it percolate, I’m really sold of Wright. He has his own idiosyncratic style, that’s hyper kinetic, comedic, subversive, but full of heart.

“The World’s End” does everything a Wright movie should do – it’s fun, energetic and drenched in genre conventions (which it simultaneously deconstructs). However, there is a tragic and melancholic quality to it – which elevates it significantly. It’s basically a small indie drama trapped inside a sci-fi film.

Wright’s style and comedic sensibilities are suited to getting at character, whilst keeping things fun and entertaining. Plus he can shoot action – maybe he has a tendency to make things a little cartoony, but he could calm this down if he was making something a little more grounded.

If the Bond series was to go in a direction which was a little looser and more “fun” (that word again) – then Wright would be perfect.

The only fear is his very individualistic style. In this sense, he’s a filmmaker more suited to working at his own scale, opposed to serving the big-budget machine. It’s the principal reason that he departed “Ant-Man” – that film would have been far more chaotic and ridiculous if he was at the helm (instead it was the typical safe project you’d expect from Marvel).

But I feel that EON have been making the move toward getting interesting directors who can put their own stamp on things.

Wright’s getting raves out of SXSW for “Baby Driver” – maybe EON should snatch him now. He’d be perfect for introducing a new Bond (if Craig’s back, then maybe someone more connected to his era should return – Campbell? Haggis? Mendes?).

Wright is one of my favourite filmmakers, and I've long thought he would be great for Bond. He's a very English filmmaker and a Bond film by him would be fun. It looks like he's moving towards a more straightforward action/thriller style with Baby Driver - less comedy than previous films - so I wonder if that will put him on EON's radar. He would indeed be perfect for introducing a new actor when Craig's done.
    Edgar Wright should never direct a Bond film.
    I’m being pretty reactionary (and obvious) here, but I just saw Logan and loved it.

I’m not an X-Men fan, but the new film was pretty powerful. I’m not suggesting that James Mangold should do a Bond film. But I think that if Craig returns (which is likely), he needs a film that has the same feel as Logan.

I don’t mean a hard R rated movie (take the violence and swearing out and Logan is essentially a character piece). I want to see the evolution of Craig’s Bond as a rookie, to seasoned vet, to broken older man. He’ll be in his 50’s when he makes Bond 25, and we know there is no point trying to disguise a Bond actor’s age (uncomfortable memories of AVTAK are returning to me).

I want an elegiac, soulful, thematic and character-driven film. Focus on Bond as a character. Forget all the superfluous and tertiary shit that Mendes got involved in. We don’t need sub-plots with the Mi6 team in London, we don’t need tacked on love stories, etc.

I don’t think it’s necessary for Madeleine (or any Bond girl) to be involved in Bond 25. Strip it down and focus on him and Blofeld. Just focus on Bond and give Craig a great send off.

Who are directors who could do this? I think you need someone with some clout and a point of view. Compare Logan to the homogenous and anonymous tripe Marvel studios throws out – there’s a marked difference.

Arguably, I think that if he followed this brief, Mendes would be great. I think Skyfall shows this (also remember Mangold made the turgid The Wolverine before Logan, so Sam is redeemable after SP).

Other individuals I think could bring that soulful touch include:

Bennett Miller

Steve McQueen

Ang Lee

I think this should be the approach ONLY if Craig returns – so he gets a proper send off.

Then Bond 26 can relaunch with an Edgar Wright-esque director taking the franchise in a more “fun” direction.