What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Is that from THE LAST JEDI? What a scoop.

Yes after being in sleep mode for who knows how long R2D2 had a rude awaking. :))
  • Why is there a phone next to the toilet???

I hope they remember to sanitize that thing.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2017 Posts: 8,110
    THE HAN-OVER.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    His aim is better than my son s best friend.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    After seeing "Baby Driver" I believe Edgar Wright's name should be in the mix; he can do action and character without sacrificing either.
    No one should direct a Bond film anymore. James Bond must die!
  • No one should direct a Bond film anymore. James Bond must die!

How's the megalomaniac training going? Received your graduation eye-patch yet?
    No one should direct a Bond film anymore. James Bond must die!

No need to be so overdramatic.
    6918-4923.jpg
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    James Bond cannot die.
    James Bond will return.
    I hope so. :(
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,446
    About American directers, i am stil curious what Andrew Davis, John Wells
    , Cameron Crowe (Vanilla Sky) or can make from a Bond movie. If there take John Wells i prefer to have Adriano Goldman (Burnt/Trash/360) as cinematographer, but there option Deankins will be back. I prefer there film on film and iam curious what Hoyte van Hoytema will do with another movie. From Andrew Davis i expect a bit of Campbell and Spottiswoode in him because of The Guardian and Collateral Damage is closer to LTK.

If there consider American or/and Famale directer, mabey there should go for Lisa Cholodenko (The Kids Are Alright) and don't vergot then to take Yaya DaCosta with her as Bondgirl and Mark Norby as stunt coordinator/Stunts.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    M_Balje wrote: »
    About American directers, i am stil curious what Andrew Davis, John Wells
    , Cameron Crowe (Vanilla Sky) or can make from a Bond movie. If there take John Wells i prefer to have Adriano Goldman (Burnt/Trash/360) as cinematographer, but there option Deankins will be back. I prefer there film on film. From Andrew Davis i expect a bit of Campbell and Spottiswoode in him because of The Guardian and Collateral Damage is closer to LTK.

If there consider American or/and Famale directer, mabey there should go for Lisa Cholodenko (The Kids Are Alright) and don't vergot then to take Yaya DaCosta with her as Bondgirl and Mark Norby as stunt coordinator/Stunts.
    I can see Andrew Davis as being suitable (in a Campbell style as you say) but Cameron Crowe, John Wells & Lisa Cholodenko are all perhaps a bit artsy fartsy for Bond imho.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 7,981
    Nolan's lips are sealed, but it's safe to say he wants the job.

“I would never tell you that. Those are the only cards I hold. It’s the only chance I have of scoring the gig — to imply that I have some extraordinary thing that nobody else has thought of. So I’m never going to tell you.”

http://lrmonline.com/news/james-bond-christopher-nolan-wont-reveal-any-of-his-ideas-for-the-gentleman-spy
    I hope he never gets it. Bond needs better.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I'd love to see Nolan but I just can't see it happening. They seemed pretty happy to give Mendes free reign though so I guess anything is possible.

Sodebergh just doesn't excite me, he's a solid choice but not a name I'd be jumping for joy about. Plus I remember he said that Haywire was his take on Bond and nothing about that film really screamed 007 to me, it was more of a generic spy film.

Edgar Wright would be brilliant imo, and Matt Reeves. George Miller could be very good too. I'd also love to see Kathryn Bigelow have a go. If they wanted to go a bit more out there then Ben Wheatley would be good.

My number one choice is Gareth Evans. I really want EON to scoop him up before some other big studio inevitably does (he was in the running to do Assassin's Creed, it's only a matter of time before some franchise or other gets their hands on him).
    I'd prefer someone who isn't a big name and won't be driven by ego.
    I see a lot of reviews saying Dunkirk is Christopher Nolan's best film. But how is that possible? Better than Inception? TDK? The Prestige? I guess we'll have to wait and see. I thought Nolan was beginning to repeat himself with TDKR and Interstellar, but apparently he's back on form.

I personally don't think he's the right fit for Bond at the moment. I don't think he's right for any franchise at the moment. He's doing great making his own movies, and since he has no problems getting them financed, I'd rather he stick to that. That being said, there are worse options, and lots of them. At the very least Nolan would do things "for real" and not fake CGI the action scenes. That's a big positive in my book.

Edgar wright is someone I never considered before, but come to think of it, he's probably perfect for what they need. Steven Soderbergh is great, I love his movies, but maybe it would be like returning to Forster in some ways? Wright is distinctly English.
    I'm not sure a big name is necessarily a problem. I agree it raises some suspicion when a big name steps in and mixes with our beloved Bond series, but on the other hand, Nolan can't be accused of messing up his Batman trilogy for example. And despite the highly acclaimed BO giant The Dark Knight, Nolan kept making out-of-the-box films like Inception and Interstellar. That's where I draw my faith from. He's not the type to deliver two or three major successes and then focus only on theme park rides like Cameron ended up doing.

Ego? I disagree there too, @Murdock. In what sense is Nolan driven by ego? Nolan makes Nolan films. Spielberg makes Spielberg films. Mann makes Mann films. Auteur theory and all that. In what sense is that a matter of ego? He brought his own style to Batman, but so did Burton and so did Snyder and so does Timm and so on. The fact that you can recognise a Nolan film isn't the same as dealing with an director who's full of ego, now is it?

If Nolan had only done Following, Memento and Insomnia at this point, many more would have said yes. But once a filmmaker creates something big like the Dark Knight trilogy, we reject him for the Bonds. I sincerely wonder why. Had Campbell's second Zorro film broken BO records in 2005, would we have said no to him too? Terence Young had directed more films than Nolan when he did DN and he was, at the time, a pretty big name too. Same with Gilbert. I'm still not sure I see the problem.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    If Nolan had only done Following, Memento and Insomnia at this point, many more would have said yes. But once a filmmaker creates something big like the Dark Knight trilogy, we reject him for the Bonds. I sincerely wonder why. Had Campbell's second Zorro film broken BO records in 2005, would we have said no to him too? Terence Young had directed more films than Nolan when he did DN and he was, at the time, a pretty big name too. Same with Gilbert. I'm still not sure I see the problem.

That's a good point, Dimi. Sometimes the obvious choice is the best choice. I imagine letting his hair down with a Bond film might be what Nolan needs after Dunkirk. Sometimes things just fall into place.
    @DarthDimi, You've misread my quote. I wasn't referring to Nolan in my comment about an ego driven director. What I meant was. I'd rather have someone who is intent with making a Bond movie. Not a big director with a certain style that would be a continuation of that. I don't want an auteur director.
    Interesting to read comments about Nolan, auteur-y directors etc. What big name directors could fit Bond, without the film turning into a (Directors name) Bond-film - instead of just a Bond film, which happens to have a big name directing?

Very well, @Murdock. :) I apologise.
    You raise an interesting yet difficult point there. Don't we want an auteur director? After years of debating what constitutes "a Bond film", we have come up with virtually nothing except that every one has their own opinion about that. So I suppose it's inevitable that the one who gets final saying will somehow impose his or her own style on the film. However, to what extent that is allowed to happen is yet another matter. Obviously the producers have some saying, and the screenwriters provide the "basis" for the film, and assuming Craig remains on board he will have something to say too. And if Arnold for example returns, he'll bring his own music. And then the cinematographer does his thing, and so on and so on. If Nolan were to have his brother Jonathan write the script, and if he brings Zimmer for the score and if Hoyte van Hoytema returns... then I'd get a little worried about Syncopy taking over EON so to speak. ;-) But I believe with these Bond films that enough layers of control can exist outside the mere efforts of the director. That said, some of the more recent Bond films have, indeed, experienced powerful collaborations we weren't exactly used to, especially the previous two films, with Craig - Mendes - Newman a very close team it would seem. So in that sense, I'm not sure exactly how much 'free reign' Nolan might get. I then also agree that a bigger name is more likely to make more demands and turn the next Bond film into the next [insert director name here] film. But would Nolan be that director and would EON allow it? I'd say the place is littered with ego and all we can hope for is that when they've duked things out, we get a decent Bond film in return. ;-)
    @DarthDimi, Apology accepted. :) After three films that have been directed by auteur's, I think it would be refreshing to go back to a John Glen/Martin Campbell director. They don't really have distinct style. They have little quirks sure like animal scares and big establishing but anyone can do that. I just want a simple no-name director instead of someone we're all used too at this point. :)
    Murdock wrote: »
    I hope he never gets it. Bond needs better.
    Absolutely.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Russo Brothers would make a great 2 hour bond thriller caper. These last two have been overly long.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Russo Brothers would make a great 2 hour bond thriller caper. These last two have been overly long.

Sadly for you, the Russo's last film had the same duration as SF and SP.

Sadly for you, the Russo's last film had the same duration as SF and SP.
    I didnt know directors have to keep to the same running time as their previous film. Must be a new rule by the DGA.

Based on Winter Soldier alone I would agree.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Thank you for using your brain unlike @DaltonCraig007.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,690
    talos7 wrote: »
    Thank you for using your brain unlike @DaltonCraig007.

At least I have one, as does @talos7, I only chose not to use mine just now. ;)