The Last Jedi SPOILER THREAD

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    That ending is superb.
    I needed the napkins not for the butter....
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    That ending is superb.

The slight flash of Luke we get gets me every time. I love it.
  • OmegaXOmegaX Singapore
    doubleoego wrote: »
    But when your comrades are rounding up and killing unarmed innocents it's enough to make you pause, think and reevaluate where your loyalties lie.

Ahh right. Didnt consider that part where they were killing the civilians, my bad. =P
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 2,598
    Was Ford's death in TFA the first time he dies on screen? I haven't seen all his movies but I don't recall him ever having a death scene. And the fact I was not expecting his death at all in TFA, I was profoundly shocked.

I can't recall ever seeing Ford die in a film. Damn, I'm still in denial. Han dead! How can it be?! I saw it coming as soon as Solo called out his son's name and started to walk towards him on the platform but I still felt shocked. I'm in mourning. :(

I just looked it up and apparently Ford's character dies in the film 'What Lies Beneath'. I can't remember if I've seen this film or not
  • Yeah I did hear rumors about Han's death prior to seeing it, and in the back of my mind I thought the only way they managed to get Ford back was if they finally killed Han like he wanted.
    Even though I didn't want it to happen, I was at least mentally prepared for it! I almost thought Han was going to talk Kylo down, but as soon as he tightened his grip on the lightsaber I almost turned away! I was in the audience like 'Oooookay, this is it!!!!'

22830118-man-peeking-through-his-fingers.jpg

Perhaps the one BAD thing about The Force Awakens is the fact that ROTJ had such a happy ending, and at least as long as I've been alive, that's all there was to it: a happy ending. Now unfortunately we know it wasn't 'happily ever after' in the end. I rewatched all the SW movies since seeing TFA and the ending to ROTJ is very bittersweet now
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,767
    RC7 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    But when your comrades are rounding up and killing unarmed innocents it's enough to make you pause, think and reevaluate where your loyalties lie.

Then nothing happens for the next 120 minutes. I really, really enjoyed the film but character development (or even character) was slim to non-existent.
    Boyega could work on his skills. Even when he tells Maz she don´t know anything about him he is somehow flat.
    With Daisey Ridley I have no complaints whatsoever.
    In defence of both of them I must say that they immediately managed to pull me into the movie, and I´m almost certain that even without Ford they would have kept me entertained. Although probably most of that credit goes to JJ.

Ford does, indeed, die in 'What Lies Beneath.' Can't think of anything else, really, perhaps aside from 'Regarding Henry' (terrific movie), but even once he's shot to kick off the plot of the movie, I don't think he ever really dies.

I'm sure it's been discussed to death, but after seeing the scene in Maz's place for the second time, I'm convinced that Rey is Luke's daughter or somehow related to him. The fact that she hears crying emanating from the basement, just to find Luke's lightsaber and have the vision of her crying as a child, makes me pretty damn sure that she had a connection with the lightsaber solely because it was handled by the man she's related to.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Ford does, indeed, die in 'What Lies Beneath.' Can't think of anything else, really, perhaps aside from 'Regarding Henry' (terrific movie), but even once he's shot to kick off the plot of the movie, I don't think he ever really dies.

Funny thing is JJ Abrams wrote Regarding Henry.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Funny thing is JJ Abrams wrote Regarding Henry.

Thank you for blowing my mind on an early Sunday. I never, ever would've guessed that he wrote that; funny how the world works. Any fans of both Ford and Abrams, then, should check out 'Regarding Henry'! Nothing like Star Wars, but it's a wonderful drama.
  • I could have sworn someone mentioned it already, but in Mosquito Coast we last see him shot and paralyzed, and River Phoenix' ending narrative was along the lines of "and when dad died", or "when we lost dad".
    We technically didn't see it but he definitely croaked soon.

What Lies Beneath is pretty much the only one besides TFA I can think of... that's also the only movie where he was the bad guy, unless I'm missing some obscure one. He should have done that more! He was scary at the end!

And anyone with sense knows he died in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in that refrigerator- the rest of the movie was just a peek into Lucas' & Spielberg's drunken minds ;)
    I could have sworn someone mentioned it already, but in Mosquito Coast we last see him shot and paralyzed, and River Phoenix' ending narrative was along the lines of "and when dad died", or "when we lost dad".
    We technically didn't see it but he definitely croaked soon.

What Lies Beneath is pretty much the only one besides TFA I can think of... that's also the only movie where he was the bad guy, unless I'm missing some obscure one. He should have done that more! He was scary at the end!

And anyone with sense knows he died in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in that refrigerator- the rest of the movie was just a peek into Lucas' & Spielberg's drunken minds ;)

That was one scene, many people remember from the 'Crystall Skull', as it was so bleedin ridiculous. The crashing of the fridge alone, would of killed anyone, never mind the shock wave from the nuclear explosion.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    That scene from Crystal Skull was topped in Die Hard 5 when Bruce Willis decides to walk around Tchernobyl casually wearing only a pair of jeans and t-shirt.
    That scene from Crystal Skull was topped in Die Hard 5 when Bruce Willis decides to walk around Tchernobyl casually wearing only a pair of jeans and t-shirt.

Really? That is badass. Maybe I need to see it after all.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Not to mention taking a swim in the pool there.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,767

Not to mention taking a swim in the pool there.
    Well, the film had to justify the title somehow....
    "Things we do for kids" was a good line though.

Not to run this off topic, but as much as I hate 'A Good Day To Die Hard,' the street chase scene between the truck and van and whatnot towards the beginning is very well done...and, of course, Bruce Willis sporting casual mall-going attire in the middle of Chernobyl is always a badass thing to see.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 533
    I loved "A Good Day to Die Hard" in compare to "The Force Awakens". At least it was 10 time more original, if a bit too short.

On the other hand, "The Force Awakens" was entertaining - thanks to Harrison Ford and John Boyega - but also a piece of unoriginal crap.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Die Hard 5 was basically Die Hard 4 but Set in Russia and was total crap. It recycled the John's kids hate him. Over the top street chase. Falling from tall heights cliche. And it ripped off Hans Gruber's death and took a piss on it. It was way more unoriginal.

The Force Awakens is Citizen Cane compared to that turd.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Never thought I'd see TFA and Citizen Kane mentioned in the same sentence! Both DH5 and TFA are derivative and fairly 'meh' films. Citizen Kane however is pure cinematic class, it has things like character and plot and one huge plot hole!
    DRush76 wrote: »
    I loved "A Good Day to Die Hard" in compare to "The Force Awakens". At least it was 10 time more original, if a bit too short.

On the other hand, "The Force Awakens" was entertaining - thanks to Harrison Ford and John Boyega - but also a piece of unoriginal crap.

.......and BB8. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Murdock wrote: »
    Die Hard 5 was basically Die Hard 4 but Set in Russia and was total crap. It recycled the John's kids hate him. Over the top street chase. Falling from tall heights cliche. And it ripped off Hans Gruber's death and took a piss on it. It was way more unoriginal.

The Force Awakens is Citizen Cane compared to that turd.
    I'm a huge Willis fan and watched the man on stage on Broadway last week in Stephen King's Misery - in which he was excellent btw. He was a childhood idol (loved his humour on Moonlighting) and I still think highly of him, but Die Hard 5 was a complete POS imho. There is nearly nothing to redeem that stinker in my view. Willis shouldn't have made it and he disgraced himself and the legend of McClane by appearing in it.
    Willis is doing a stage version of 'Misery'? Oh, I would kill to see that.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Yes, it's been on Broadway for a few months. I think it wraps up either at the end of Jan or Feb. It's really good. Laurie Metcalf (who plays Annie Wilkes, and who was Rosanne's sister on the tv show) is excellent too. They stay pretty close to the film (I haven't read the book) and it includes the legendary lower extremity bone shattering scene which had the audience jumping out of their seats.
    Just got the DVD of the ORIGINAL Star Wars, went right to the Greedo scene to see HAN SHOOT FIRST. \m/ Something I haven't seen in a LONG time!!
    And Jabba was a man, not a couch of slime?
    And Jabba was a man, not a couch of slime?

Jabba was not even IN the first movie. ;)

Seriously, I like most of the additions Lucas tacked on, and the cleaned up matte lines, but the Greedo thing & the Jabba scene were totally unnecessary.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Actually, the Greedo change was to avoid a change in the film's MPAA rating.
    Jabba was in the first movie, I remember it clearly. He was a human being, not some fat worm, hence the expression "Jabba, you re a wonderful human being."

When Return of the Jedi came out, I remember thinking "why the hell did they change Jabba like that?
    Jabba was in the first movie, I remember it clearly. He was a human being
    You're thinking of deleted scenes. It was never in any version of the film that way. You've been Jedi Mind Tricked.
    No, maybe you saw a different cut than me, or maybe you have been mind tricked. Anyone else who remembers that scene?