The Last Jedi SPOILER THREAD

1101112131416»

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    RC7 wrote: »
    patb wrote: »
    Iconic characters need iconic death scenes - Wrath of Khan QED. and Skyfall actually

Still angry with Last Jedi - horrible, just horrible

Nothing wrong with Luke’s death. Han’s was ten times worse.

They're both pretty poor, no matter what standard they're held against. A damp squib in a film full of damp squibs.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Personally I see Disney Star Wars films separate to what proceeded them.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    The problem with Luke's death is that it felt so unnecessary. It could have all played out the same way but with Luke surviving instead, and no one would have questioned why he didn't die. In fact everyone would now be very excited to see him return in Ep. IX.

I mean, so Yoda inspired him to use the force again, but not enough to get his ass off that Island. In the end he still turned his back on all of his friends. Leia and Rey could still have used his help. Not to mention that a real showdown with Kylo would have been greatly anticipated. But RJ wanted so badly to kill him off and it just felt contrived to me.

• edited March 2018 Posts: 4,599
    If one of the biggest characters in post war cinema history is going to die, you create a great death scene worthy of that character, pivotal to the plot and work back from that. When you think of all of the posibilities that they had:

sitting on his own on a rock in the middle of nowhere and it seemed like an afterthought squeezed in rather than an essential part of the movie. Utterly hopeless. Just as angry as yesterday.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    If one of the biggest characters in post war cinema history is going to die, you create a great death scene worthy of that character, pivotal to the plot and work back from that. When you think of all of the posibilities that they had:

sitting on his own on a rock in the middle of nowhere and it seemed like an afterthought squeezed in rather than an essential part of the movie. Utterly hopeless. Just as angry as yesterday.

It’s sad when the prequels are better then these new ones, and the prequels are terrible.

It’s sad when the prequels are better then these new ones, and the prequels are terrible.

It is always a danger though. Having said that? Look at how we all have our own opinions on how Bond should be.
    Personally I see Disney Star Wars films separate to what proceeded them.
    100% yes, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. For some reason it took me until TLJ to get the picture. Star Wars is Lucas.
    While I agree the prequels are better, I myself still can't abide calling them terrible. The more I watch them the more I'm willing to defend them, somehow. I had another viewing around Christmas. The dialogue and acting are stilted (that goes without saying, whether Lucas intended it or not), but I can fairly easily get over it the more I watch them and the older they get. In terms of how films age I find acting is generally the first thing to lose the luster anyway. I'd rather focus on their visuals, sound design, music (for me the best work John Williams has ever done), and world-building. All of it leads to a certain undercurrent of richness that the OT even lacks and makes up for some of the other surface-level shortcomings.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @strog
    Well that’s the only reason that prequels are watchable. The world building. That’s what these new ones lack.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684
    @strog
    Well that’s the only reason that prequels are watchable. The world building. That’s what these new ones lack.
    Yes absolutely, @JamesBondKenya. I was really looking forward to seeing what the galaxy looked like 30 years after the events of ROTJ. Instead the status quo is back to being a ragtag rebellion/resistance (and they won?) fighting an evil empire/first order, all in service of mimicking the OT in order to package up its nostalgia to sell instead of doing something new.
    I came across this and actually LOVE IT

'Luke doesn't die/ alternate ending edit'

If this is what I saw in the theater I would have been so excited for the next one (just like TFA)

If this is what I saw in the theater I would have been so excited for the next one (just like TFA)

That to me would have been the better option too.
    I must be one of the only ones who liked how Luke was handled in Episode 8 - death and all. I thought he had a great arc and got a worthy death. People whine about it being anticlimactic between him and Kylo Ren, since Luke simply used the force, but I found it refreshing. Every SW film need not end with an epic lightsaber battle. I love a good lightsaber battle, but I'm glad they tried something a little different this time around. No doubt we'll get an interesting Kylo vs. Rey match in Episode 9. Episode 8 changed the rules to where it felt so much fresher than Episode 7. It's flawed, but I prefer 8 over 7 almost any time.
    What happened with Luke has grown on me, however I still think something like that may have been better suited for Episode IX.
    I mean we lost Han, now we lost Luke (unless he’ll be back as a spirit) and we already know Leia won’t be in the next one.

We will see if these new characters are enough to carry the next movie alone.
    I think Kylo, Rey, and Finn are all pretty solid characters. I suspect we'll at least see Luke's force ghost. I'll be going in to Episode 9 with low expectations like I did with the last two films. So far, it hasn't been a bad or amazing new trilogy IMO. Lots of good stuff, but far from perfect. But it could have turned out way worse.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Force ghost? And before he was a force living person?
    Even if "Episode IX" turns out to be pretty good, I think the Sequel Trilogy is basically a disaster for me. Especially since I have such a low opinion of the first two films.

That's exactly what I meant when I said you could take Luke's death out of the film and it wouldn't skip a beat. In fact this ending makes more sense because we see that Luke is using the Force again, which means that he cares again and he is ready to come back with a vengeance in Episode IX.

RJ really did us a disservice by killing off the most important character in the franchise in such a meaningless fashion.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 4,813
    pachazo wrote: »

RJ really did us a disservice by killing off the most important character in the franchise in such a meaningless fashion.
    Exactly! With Han, it was difficult to watch my favorite character die, but it had IMPACT! Like 'holy shit, this new villain just killed his own father!'

With Luke it was more like:

why-1_zps94245dba.gif~c200

Are we killing someone we care about each episode now, is that what we're doing? Can't wait for the next one then :|
    C-3PO and R2-D2 up next.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I just watched it again yesterday. I enjoyed it, as I did in the theatre (twice). There is something missing in this film though. There is a distinct lack of gravitas despite all the moola up on the screen - something a bit pedestrian and ordinary. I can't quite put my finger on it. Despite being a rehash plot, TFA seems special every time I view it, while this one doesn't. I hope it's not because they've cheapened the legacy by playing about with the mythology and tropes so much here (a crime that I believe affects Bond too, since the reboot).

What's most tiresome about this film for me is the blatant politicking and gender/race pandering. It's rather obvious and a bit tiresome. It would be helpful if major franchise offerings try to be a bit more subtle when making these sort of statements, and that applies to B25 as well (from what I understand, Danny Boyle is a film maker with strong political views).

Regarding Luke: his demise was as surprising and also as meaningless as Snoke's. I keep thinking they are both going to return in some way, shape or form in the next one.

Despite the flaws I still think it's top notch big budget Hollywood entertainment. Just not as good as one hoped it would be.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 4,813
    Agreed nearly word for word @bondjames
    I too have my very first viewing yesterday since seeing in the theater.
    Now that it's fresh in my noggin again, here's what I think.
    There are lots of great, and even epic scenes, but unfortunately, for every great part there is an equally stupid part. And that KILLS me!!!!
    After The Force Awakens, sitting in the theater as the credits rolled, I was bloodthirsty for the next one! Now I'm more like 'Hmmm... what is there left to do now?'

With regard to those force sensitive kids they went out of the way to show, (literally the last thing we see before the credits) I'm wondering if they will pull a fast one on us and make Episode IX take place 15 or even 20 years later? There's some serious potential there... Kylo Ren would be older and meaner (possibly insane from years of Luke's Spirit haunting him), Rey would be a true Jedi by then with possibly a bunch of new young heroes alongside her, and-not to sound morbid- that might make it easier to exclude Leia.
    Anyway, that was just a thought I had.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 45,489
    Great idea, Dahark.
    @Master_Dahark, coincidentally, that was actually my thought too. As you noted, given Carrie Fisher passed since TLJ was filmed I can only presume they have to forward the timeline in order to accommodate. Otherwise how would the address her disappearance from the scene?

Additionally, as you note, there was something about the comments Luke makes to Kylo about always being with him which indicates they would want to deal with that in the future.

Given all the twists they keep throwing at us, I wonder if it's Kylo who ends up being the hero at the end of it all, and Rey goes bad. There were subtle indications of that in TLJ and somehow she seems a less empathetic character than he does to me.
    @bondjames, I know what you mean. You can see him struggle, while she is the more righteous kind.
    Exactly @Thunderfinger. He's a compelling character, and arguably has been the glue holding this new narrative together, while she is an enigma. It would certainly make for a thrilling end if this is where it goes, and will set up the new trilogy nicely.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I agree that there should be some sort of time jump between TLJ and Episode IX. Although I don't think it should be as extreme as 15 or 20 years. Maybe more like 5 or 8 at the most.
    I only got to see TLJ in theaters once, I intended to see it one or two more times but was too busy. I just bought it on blu-ray the other day and will be watching soon. I'll be back here to give my thoughts once I'm done.
    As it stands right now my order is...

The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    The Force Awakens
    Revenge of the Sith
    Return of the Jedi
    The Last Jedi
    Attack of the Clones
    Rogue One
    The Phantom Menace
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Watched TLJ again yesterday, making this my second viewing. Enjoyed it much more this time, however my grievances for the film remain the same.
    Much better experience this time though
    There are lots of great, and even epic scenes, but unfortunately, for every great part there is an equally stupid part. And that KILLS me!!!!.
    That really sums it up for me as well.