The Last Jedi SPOILER THREAD

Comments

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    R1's by far the best of the Disney films.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I agree with @bondjames, Rogue One was just bland and didn’t feel much like a Star Wars movie. It feels like a generic sci-fi movie with a Star Wars skin on it. I remember walking out of the theater feeling a bit underwhelmed. However, it does improve a little with each viewing. I’ve seen it five times now and I do enjoy it. Still though, I have it ranked second to last.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'll have to check it out again @QsAssistant. As mentioned, I've only had the one viewing in the theatre. Hopefully it improves for me too.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I rewatched Rogue One a few nights ago I thought it was fantastic, the beauty of the Star Wars films I guess is there are variations on a theme at this point with 8 movies, a film for different tastes though universally I think episode 4 and 5 are regarded highly.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Do that and let us know what you think @bondjames. It wasn’t until my third viewing that I actually enjoyed it.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Having been in 'Star Wars' mode since seeing TLJ and wanting more of a hit, I decided to watch TFA before my viewing of TLJ.
    Then afterwards watched RO and ANH. I have to say RO is a film that I liked on my first viewing, and a film that I love now. Good story, well written characters that we genuinely care about by the end of the film and who doesn't like seeing
    Darth Vader be badass
    As a standalone movie it did everything I could ask for, neatly tying it to ANH.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited December 2017 Posts: 4,043
    I definitely prefer Rogue One to TFA.

As for to TLJ, I think I need to see it a few more times but RO was definitely from my first watch I walked out of the cinema with no doubt it was better.

I did feel like I was watching a Star Wars film and the final battle was fantastic. Warmed over New Hope is peoples preference and they are welcome to it but I fancy something with a bit more originality and balls.

For me both RO & TLJ delivered in those departments.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Benny
    I think that's the key to understanding why some of us love RO while others don't. RO is tied to THE CLONE WARS TV series, STAR WARS REBELS, ROTS and ANH; it delivers the goods for the fans, the geeks (like myself) and even those looking for new stuff; but all of it operates outside the Skywalker canon of 'episodes'. It fills in some blanks, but it doesn't propagate the story of the new resistance, the new order, the Jedi, ... If you're looking to move on with the episodes, then you're probably less interested in what happened right before ANH.

As a geek, I'm looking for anything Star Wars, anything I haven't seen before, whether it's filling gaps or moving on. And since RO was also executed to my taste, there's nothing about the film that doesn't thrill me.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 4,600
    Re character development in RO, to be fair, it was a sacrifice. Once they went down the Dirty Dozen war movie concept, then it takes a lower priority plus how well did we know the chracters in the first movie? they had two more installments etc.
    I think the very first scene does very well to set up the the main character motivation and how bad the bad guy is etc,

@DarthDimi I know nothing of the TV series or the books etc etc, I just like well make films with a cohesive story. RO just works in a way that TLJ doesn't IMHO and I think people are appreciating it more and more. Especially in light of TLJ

I dont think there is one scene in TLJ that comes anywhere near this it terms of pure exciting action. The way the music stops and you just hear Darth breathing and then the passage is bathed in the red light from his sabre. And Darth just walks relentlessly through. It's so well shot and not over clever. The sound effects (alarm) and music work very well to increase the drama. And of course, we all knew the outcome so there actually was no tension but it's there anyway (if that makes sense)

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @patb
    True! That one scene made me scream in the theatre. I hadn't seen it coming; I had no idea I was going to get that. So when I did, I nearly lost my goods.

In many ways, RO "fixed" things. The 'Episodes' have always told us what a bad-ass Vader is, but we have rarely seen him be the bad-ass. RO finally delivered. We have always wondered about the structural weakness in the Death Star and now we know for certain that it was deliberately put there. We have always known that somehow Leia had gotten her hands on the Death Star plans and now we know how exactly she got them. Things that were always told, have now been shown to us, and I like that. A lot!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Just watched The Last Jedi. Enjoyed it quite a bit. It was too long --too many "acts", not unlike plenty of recent films, Spectre included-- but good fun all the way through. Mark Hamill has gained gravitas with age; I'd like to see him in more films, at least in supporting roles. He could do comedies! Laura Dern had an interesting subplot and a solid if brief part. Benicio del Toro was awesome. I like the fact he didn't take any sides. I wish his character would come back but never ever side with anyone. The film was quite unpredictable in its story; I liked that. The scene with the "mirrored" Rey was fascinating. I enjoyed the comedy that came and went effortlessly in otherwise dramatic scenes, often those that featured Luke. I think some people are bothered by that sort of humor but I find it to be fun and to not necessarily harm a film in any way.

This was a near-blind watch for me. Didn't watch any trailers. I read the full plot summary out of curiosity but barely remembered any of it. I haven't even seen the previous film, only the original trilogy and parts of the prequels. It's good to watch films that way.
    "I like the fact he didn't take any sides." eh?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Oh, I meant he doesn't take sides in the sense that he's just a mercenary and isn't rooting for the good guys or the bad guys. Yes, he helps the bad guys at the end but because it's convenient for him, not because he believes their cause to be a worthy one. By contrast, Han Solo begins in the same way but eventually helps the good guys out of moral conviction.
    Leaving aside our own personal views, on the Rotten Toms website, Rogue One is getting an 87% approval rating, the Force Awakens is 88% and TLJ is currently on 52%. There clearly is some sort of issue here.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    patb wrote: »
    Leaving aside our own personal views, on the Rotten Toms website, Rogue One is getting an 87% approval rating, the Force Awakens is 88% and TLJ is currently on 52%. There clearly is some sort of issue here.

There's a lot of strong flak being thrown at it. A lot of it I understand, but some of it I don't.

It does a lot of things very well and I didn't hate it. But unfortunately, so much of the story obviously rides on Luke and Johnson gets him so wrong that a lot of the good stuff is being viewed through negative-tinted glasses, and I don't really blame people for it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I agree with @bondjames, Rogue One was just bland and didn’t feel much like a Star Wars movie. It feels like a generic sci-fi movie with a Star Wars skin on it. I remember walking out of the theater feeling a bit underwhelmed. However, it does improve a little with each viewing. I’ve seen it five times now and I do enjoy it. Still though, I have it ranked second to last.

I humbly disagree. It has more of a Star Wars feel than any of the films released since 1999 for me, and they managed to do it without any Jedi being the focus of the story.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I just think it’s hilarious that it has a lower score by the audience then all the prequels
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,380

Ideas that did not make the film

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Mr Sunday movies is the best
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I saw this film last night (imax) and I fell asleep...after paying £48 on the tickets alone!
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 4,600

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    My wife and I just saw it tonight. We both enjoyed it, but it did drag in some places and I was expecting some sort of Empire-Esque twist that didn't happen.

However in hindsight, give me the original trilogy over this one any day. They are making a valiant/enjoyable attempt at the new films but they are not as fresh and great as the originals.
    At a family gathering yesterday, I was chatting/debating the film with a cousin (fueled by a bottle of red). I went through all of the well documented faults with the story, characters etc and his reponse: "But how big was the screen you saw it on?"

This shocked me and perhaps sums up the attitude of certain movie fans. It's not about the story. It's about how big and loud the explosions are. He loved the movie and all of the faults I pointed out had gone straight over his head. Thank goodness (as RTs shows) I am not on my own and there are still movie fans out there who appreciate the craft of story writing.

Watching Operation Crossbow this morning, it struck me that perhaps the series should be looking to more of the classic war movies for inspiration?
    7f9306a486d10aa77d6a7a2720ad6045a2e0135477ec37ed719f56f3d2504126.jpg

@patb what's odd is many people on YouTube are back peddling with there initial negative reviews and making excuses now why TLJ is good. It's funny many channels dispute RT though the majority of people in comments section don't like the film anyway.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Saw TLJ recently…and what can I say (I'm not a big fanboy of SW, but like the first two [SW and TESB] well enough) but this kind of left me wanting. I know it's the middle part of a trilogy but it just didn't seem to go anywhere. Glad I saw it on the big screen, but like The Farce Awakens don't think I'll be adding this one to my blu-ray collection. Hmmm, not a great film by any stretch.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 2,107
    My thoughts still are that you could lose the whole Canto Binto subplot and the movie would be much better for it. The only reason it's in the movie, is to give Finn something to do.

I talked about it with my friend and we both thought it's like from a whole different movie and had that Disney stink.
    I think the Disney stink concept is unfair based on what JJ came up with and also looking at RO. Its really down to the director and screen writer. They could have made an absolute classic and Disney would have not stood in their way.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I enjoyed The Last Jedi but there were some things I would change.

Had Admiral Holdo just stated what her intentions were from the start, Less Rebels would have died. And I would have preferred if Luke was actually on the Salt Planet. I was fine with his end but I think it would have been more impactful if Luke was actually there. I also wish he would have toppled over the AT-AT's like domino's for an extra badass moment.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Murdock wrote: »
    I enjoyed The Last Jedi but there were some things I would change.

Had Admiral Holdo just stated what her intentions were from the start, Less Rebels would have died. And I would have preferred if Luke was actually on the Salt Planet. I was fine with his end but I think it would have been more impactful if Luke was actually there. I also wish he would have toppled over the AT-AT's like domino's for an extra badass moment.

There were rumors about Luke having some kind of new power and I have to admit that I was pretty disappointed when it turned out to be the Force projection. I don't know, perhaps toppling over the walkers would've been a step too far, but they definitely should've come up with something better for him. And now that he's gone it's such a wasted opportunity.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited January 2018 Posts: 16,331
    pachazo wrote: »
    There were rumors about Luke having some kind of new power and I have to admit that I was pretty disappointed when it turned out to be the Force projection. I don't know, perhaps toppling over the walkers would've been a step too far, but they definitely should've come up with something better for him. And now that he's gone it's such a wasted opportunity.

I don't think it would have been too far at all because in the Graphic Novel "Dark Empire," He brings one AT-AT down with the force alone. It would have been a nice crushing blow to the First Order while giving adding some extra stakes to Luke being their.

txddktpqzae2juovei4m.png
    3814813-1719332-de3y.jpg