The Last Jedi SPOILER THREAD

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm ok with how they handled Solo's death. They didn't linger on it but moved on.

For the younger gen, it's probably not a big deal anyway, but for us folk who love him from the OT, we've got Luke's big reveal at the end to keep us happy.

I would have been more disappointed if they had made a big deal out of it, like in Star Trek 2 - The Wrath of Khan, because it could have spoiled the mood, which was pretty upbeat & uplifting throughout here.
    Yes, I agree.
    Still, when Leia felt his passing, my popcorn got wet...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I'm ok with how they handled Solo's death. They didn't linger on it but moved on.

For the younger gen, it's probably not a big deal anyway, but for us folk who love him from the OT, we've got Luke's big reveal at the end to keep us happy.

I would have been more disappointed if they had made a big deal out of it, like in Star Trek 2 - The Wrath of Khan, because it could have spoiled the mood, which was pretty upbeat & uplifting throughout here.
    Yes, I agree.
    Still, when Leia felt his passing, my popcorn got wet...
    My popcorn became wet when Luke pulled back his hood. With Williams' score blaring at full blast it truly was quite moving, but in a very positive way.
    My popcorn became wet when Luke pulled back his hood. With Williams' score blaring at full blast it truly was quite moving, but in a very positive way.
    Mark acted his arse off in those few seconds. That look was the stuff of legend. He is truly the heart & soul of the series to me.
    I think Han Solo's murder was one of the strong points of the movie. You could see Solo's soft side, which was ultimately his demise. Kylo Ren is not his grandfather, he's not quite evil enough yet, but he sure is talented.

I didn't like the reuse of the Death Star, or whatever name they gave it. This was beyond recycled: recycled Star Wars stuff and recycled from Abrams' own Star Trek. Can't they come up with something different than a doomsday device, especially this doomsday device?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I didn't like the reuse of the Death Star, or whatever name they gave it. This was beyond recycled: recycled Star Wars stuff and recycled from Abrams' own Star Trek. Can't they come up with something different than a doomsday device, especially this doomsday device?
    Much like the Blofeld/Bond connection in SPECTRE, the overall story is more important to me than the occasional lazy bit of concoction. :)>-
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Yeah, Han's death made me eyes moist.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Not sure if anyone has seen this yet. Some very interesting details have been revealed in the screenplay.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-ending/
    I'm still in a kind of shock over Han's demise...
    maxresdefault.jpg

When I went to see it with friends we were eating pizza together beforehand and I said, I bet Han Solo dies, how right was I!
    Much like the Blofeld/Bond connection in SPECTRE, the overall story is more important to me than the occasional lazy bit of concoction. :)>-

I did love The Force Awakens but did feel a bit like watching a modern day mashup of A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back - even HS's death was on a walkway similar to when Darth revealed to Luke he was his father.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

I did love The Force Awakens but did feel a bit like watching a modern day mashup of A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back - even HS's death was on a walkway similar to when Darth revealed to Luke he was his father.

Mixed with the death of Kenobi.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The death of Han will create extra interest for the upcoming "Young Han Solo" film.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Murdock wrote: »
    My favorite scenes of the movie were between Han and Finn.
    Han: "Did you just call me Solo?" and "That's not how the Force Works!" =))

Some good scenes between Rey and Finn, too.

"Keep calm! Keep calm!"

"I am calm."

"I was talking to myself."

You mean Poe and Finn?

If so, I 100% agree; they had more chemistry together in the first act than Padme and Anakin did in the entire prequel trilogy.
    The death of Han will create extra interest for the upcoming "Young Han Solo" film.

It was knowing this that lead me to guess he was going to die.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Yes, Finn actually had some fun scenes with both Poe and Rey.
    I liked the scene where 'Finn' gives 'BB8' the thumbs up for helping him out with his story to 'Rey', and in return 'BB8' gives a thumbs up back to him. :)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    mepal1 wrote: »
    I liked the scene where 'Finn' gives 'BB8' the thumbs up for helping him out with his story to 'Rey', and in return 'BB8' gives a thumbs up back to him. :)

Yes, that got a good hearty chuckle from the audience!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Yes, that got a good hearty chuckle from the audience!

Same. The audience I saw it with loved that scene.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,098
    I thought 'BB8' was a scream, i also liked the way he gently headbutted 'R2D2' to try to wake him up.

Did anyone notice how the characters in SWTFA understood what 'BB8' was saying, coz i didnt understand a bloody word he said. I mean, i didn't know that " bleep, boop, be, bloop" meant,
    'Watch out, the storm troopers are coming". :))
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Finn didn't understand him.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Thought BB8 was the best actor in the whole film! Fairly underwhelmed by the whole thing. Didn't know about Solo's death but by the time in the film we know Ren to be his son I could see it coming. And I started to get a bit restless at the end, knew what was coming and just wanted it over. And Luke's gone to Ireland to kiss the blarney stone - well it didn't work, mute tw@t!
  • RC7RC7
    I thought 'BB8' was a scream, i also liked the way he gently headbutted 'R2D2' to try to wake him up.

He was great, to the point where R2, and particularly Threepio, were redundant. They should have kept them out of it until VIII. They were, collectively, the proverbial kitchen sink of TFA.
    Did anyone notice how the characters in SWTFA understood what 'BB8' was saying, coz i didnt understand a bloody word he said.
    It´s a simple trick. The guys in Ocean´s Eleven used it too when conversing with the little Chinese guy ;-).

RC7 wrote: »

He was great, to the point where R2, and particularly Threepio, were redundant. They should have kept them out of it until VIII. They were, collectively, the proverbial kitchen sink of TFA.

Have to admit gave a small groan when CP 30 appeared in 'comic' turn. Could have been worse, could have got JJB as well!
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

Have to admit gave a small groan when CP 30 appeared in 'comic' turn. Could have been worse, could have got JJB as well!

The thought of it... there'd have been some kind of simultaneous worldwide cinematic Jonestown.
    Could have been worse, could have got JJB as well!

To quote Short Round, not very funny.
    Just found a review which says just about what I thought of it, but more eloquently than I could!
    http://www.vox.com/2015/12/26/10664834/star-force-awakens-derivative
    Just found a review which says just about what I thought of it, but more eloquently than I could!
    A fair review IMO.

He has a point about the nostalgic elements taking you out of the film too many times. I found the same thing. My friend described it as fan fiction. Too self conscious of its own history.
    I personally loved the 12 parsec gag.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    BAIN123 wrote: »

He has a point about the nostalgic elements taking you out of the film too many times. I found the same thing. My friend described it as fan fiction. Too self conscious of its own history.

Pretty much sums it for me. Still, I enjoyed it.