The Last Jedi SPOILER THREAD

Comments

• I'm afraid it's always been no more than a deleted scene, Thunderfinger. It was only in the later 90's when Lucas was beginning his CGI religion that he was able to insert the Jabba we all knew into it (it was pretty exciting at the time, we got to see a whole new scene with Han Solo!) It helped to get more attention when they were rereleased in theaters- for the small 'I saw it already, I'll just wait for Episode I' crowd.
    But think about it- the whole scene is completely redundant after Greedo. It was only ever a deleted scene.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    This explains everything - @Thunderfinger has been watching the wrong versions of the Brosnan Bond films all those years.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have googled it to look for a confirmation, but couldn t find any in English. In Norwegian however, on a film forum, I found someone who had the same recollection.

SW came out here seven months after the world premiere, apparently the scene was for some reason included here during its first theatrical run.I can t remember any lens problems, as I have read was the reason for first cutting it out, either. Most odd.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,813
    Damn have you seen this yet? It would totally spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen Star Wars but for the rest of us, man right in the feels!

#:-S
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,767
    chrisisall wrote: »
    And Jabba was a man, not a couch of slime?

Jabba was not even IN the first movie. ;)

Seriously, I like most of the additions Lucas tacked on, and the cleaned up matte lines, but the Greedo thing & the Jabba scene were totally unnecessary.
    As I recently learned from youtube, the most recent version on br is hardly different from the very first one.

Damn have you seen this yet? It would totally spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen Star Wars but for the rest of us, man right in the feels!

#:-S
    Wow! Unbelievable they made three films of it when it can be told so effectively like this!

Jabba was never in the original cut
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,774
    Indeed. However, he appeared in the comic book adaptation at the time. We also got a scene between Luke and Biggs that didn't appear in the movie either. And that one didn't appear in the Special Edition. Plus Jabba looked very different in the comics than on screen.

152.jpg

biggs+crop.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ahhh yes, someplace in one of my comic boxes I have those...
  • The good ol' comic book days, when Luke looked like He-Man :))
    The good ol' comic book days, when Luke looked like He-Man :))
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a problem with that.
    ;)
    I saw The Force Awakens for a second time last night and my opinion hasn't changed. It's entertaining but there's really nothing in this film that stands out for me. It seems very formulaic and just feels like a case of crossing all the t's and dotting the i's much like the 007 Brosnan films and Spectre.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,098
    Bounine wrote: »
    I saw The Force Awakens for a second time last night and my opinion hasn't changed. It's entertaining but there's really nothing in this film that stands out for me. It seems very formulaic and just feels like a case of crossing all the t's and dotting the i's much like the 007 Brosnan films and Spectre.

That's exactly what i thought.
    The film has been a monstrous hit in N.America and the UK, probably as we have all grown up with this film franchise, and it has become part of our culture. I think that after the somewhat disappointing 2nd trilogy, and hearing that the new film would have the characters from the original films, this stirred up the public, to wanting to see the film in the hope of another original SW classic.
    In other countries where they do not have the history of the franchise, such as China, the expected massive BO haul there, has not turned out to be so, as the film doesn't really connect with the people in that culture, and to them its just another sci-fi/action flick.
    I enjoyed SWTFA, but it was no classic, and the film was basically saved by BB8's acting.
    :)
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Finally watched it last night. I was struck by how blatantly they copied the plot of A New Hope for Rey. Seriously, she's a nobody stuck on a nothing planet, coincidentally comes into possession of a droid that has some vital information for the rebellion/resistance which sets her off on a journey to bring the droid back (which involves Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon bringing her to her destination). etc etc. Homages are fine, but just copying your former films seems lazy. I thought they integrated the old characters pretty well. Makes sense that Leia would still be a leader of a resistance and that Han would go back to smuggling. I did like Finn and the stormtrooper turned good angle. I liked Rylo Ken and thought it was great that they killed Han (although that's basically copying Vader killing Obi Wan in episode 4). Frankly, Rey and Finn showed a lot more charisma than Luke did in all three of the orginal trilogy, so that's nice.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Die Hard 5 was so horrible I scarcely dare give it utterance!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Die Hard 5 was so horrible I scarcely dare give it utterance!

Thanks for that, coz that is the only Die Hard film i havn't seen, and i thought about seeing it online, until i saw the film is woefully rated.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The sole purpose of Die Hard 5 is to watch Bruce Willis machine gunning everything that moves.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Which might not be a bad thing, if not for the movie being sh*t. He's literally the best part of it.
    We just watched the Blu Ray of Star Wars (steelbook edition) and the Greedo vs. Han scene was handled to our satisfaction (finally!) but the unnecessary Jabba scene was (sadly) still included. The CGI for that is still horrible, but it's a skipable intrusion in an otherwise stellar presentation.
    This is our go-to version now.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I recently read that the Jabba scene was the original Greedo scene, that the only reason the Greedo scene is the way it is (and thus most of the dialogue is repeated in the Jabba scene) is because the Jabba scene was going to be cut almost immediately after filming it. I read this on TV Tropes, I believe. Thus, once the Jabba scene could be reinstated, it became redundant.
  • Oh my god have you guys seen this yet?? =))

I wonder how they'll handle Han's death? They have a knack for making everything funny. Even in the older games, when the characters didn't talk, they managed to make the dark scenes a riot- for example, in the 'I am your father' scene, Lego Vader whips out a family photo of Anakin & Padme and gestures towards Luke. It was pretty cute despite Luke just got his hand cut off, lol
    They probably did it better in Toy Story.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That Lego thing makes me want to go and see the film again. Can't wait for the blu.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I will come directly to the point:

Killing Han Solo was plain stupid and so typically JJ Abrams style. And I wouldn't be surprised if Solo came back with some stupid "Alias"ish explanation.

No, really. The moment I realised that Solo will get killed, the movie died for me as well.

The only really good thing about this movie was Harrison Ford, he stole every scene he was in. I won't even go to the length explaining how bad the two new lead characters are.

Compared to this new "thing" even Episode I with infant Anakin feels like a masterpiece. At least that one has a superb Liam Neeson in it.

I don't get why this stupidest plot twist ever hasn't created more uproar than it did. But then the main target audience probably has even never seen the original three movies and couldn't care less.

And the new "super villain" is a total wuss that any Minion could get rid off within a second. Scarlet Overkill would eat him alive.

Be it as it may, I'll watch the next one, who knows, maybe they get a grip and produce something that earns the name Star Wars.

So, now I feel better :))
    [quote="Sark;542630"]Finally watched it last night. I was struck by how blatantly they copied the plot of A New Hope for Rey. Seriously, she's a nobody stuck on a nothing planet, coincidentally comes into possession of a droid that has some vital information for the rebellion/resistance which sets her off on a journey to bring the droid back (which involves Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon bringing her to her destination). etc etc. Homages are fine, but just copying your former films seems lazy. I thought they integrated the old characters pretty well. Makes sense that Leia would still be a leader of a resistance and that Han would go back to smuggling. I did like Finn and the stormtrooper turned good angle. I liked Rylo Ken and thought it was great that they killed Han (although that's basically copying Vader killing Obi Wan in episode 4). Frankly, Rey and Finn showed a lot more charisma than Luke did in all three of the orginal trilogy, so that's nice. [/quote]

Not only for Rey, for pretty much the whole narrative. You have a droid holding vital information, a doomsday device, a father figure (in this case a literal father) who dies... Abrams is good at recycling. But on the plus side, he does create more compelling characters than Lucas ended up doing with his prequels and his dialogues are better.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Ludovico wrote: »
    But on the plus side, he does create more compelling characters than Lucas ended up doing with his prequels and his dialogues are better.
    This was the key point for me, given how poor the prequels were in this respect. I know some disagree, but all these new characters were very compelling for me. They resonated, despite the fact that some have said that they are not written all that well.

Moreover, all the principal characters (Rey in particular, Finn, Poe & BB8) had some pluck/spirit to them (well maybe not Finn initially, but Rey brought something courageous out of him, and at least he is honourable). I liked that. It was old school.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,020
    I simply don't see it. Rey and especially Finn are so dull and so clearly aimed at the typical "Hunger Games" audience.

Poe on the other hand could have been so much more. I sure hope he will take the lead in the next installment. At least Oscar Isaac can act unlike the rest of them.

BB-8 stole the show. He is by far the best thing in this new Star Wars. His character depth is miles deeper than the rest of the "new" characters.

Needless to say, killing Han Solo like they did, is unforgivably stupid.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I simply don't see it. Rey and especially Finn are so dull and so clearly aimed at the typical "Hunger Games" audience.

Poe on the other hand could have been so much more. I sure hope he will take the lead in the next installment. At least Oscar Isaac can act unlike the rest of them.

BB-8 stole the show. He is by far the best thing in this new Star Wars. His character depth is miles deeper than the rest of the "new" characters.

Needless to say, killing Han Solo like they did, is unforgivably stupid.

The bold is all I can get on board with here; Oscar Isaac is amazing. Unfortunately the rest of your opinions on The Force Awakens are just too far from reason to even comment on ;)

I get the impression from comments here, that members didn't realize that Harrison Ford
    WANTED his character to be killed off. Apparently Ford, even going back to the original trilogy wanted his character killed off by Lucas. From Ford himself, it appears the role of Han Solo was not one of his favourite roles, but he stuck with it, to please the world wide fan base of Star Wars.

btw: Why is Han Solo's name pronounced differently in the new film?

It always was originally pronounced as HAN, but for some reason its now pronounced as HARN. Anyone else noticed this?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    But on the plus side, he does create more compelling characters than Lucas ended up doing with his prequels and his dialogues are better.
    This was the key point for me, given how poor the prequels were in this respect. I know some disagree, but all these new characters were very compelling for me. They resonated, despite the fact that some have said that they are not written all that well.

Moreover, all the principal characters (Rey in particular, Finn, Poe & BB8) had some pluck/spirit to them (well maybe not Finn initially, but Rey brought something courageous out of him, and at least he is honourable). I liked that. It was old school.

I agree. The new characters were the strongest point of TFA, a hark back to the original trilogy, while the prequels were rigged with lifeless characters while destroying the classic ones (Obi Wan Kenobi especially) into dry movie props.
    mepal1 wrote: »
    I get the impression from comments here, that members didn't realize that Harrison Ford
    WANTED his character to be killed off. Apparently Ford, even going back to the original trilogy wanted his character killed off by Lucas. From Ford himself, it appears the role of Han Solo was not one of his favourite roles, but he stuck with it, to please the world wide fan base of Star Wars.

btw: Why is Han Solo's name pronounced differently in the new film?

It always was originally pronounced as HAN, but for some reason its now pronounced as HARN. Anyone else noticed this?

It was Ford who demanded Solo got wasted. It was his condition to rejoin the cast.