Looking through John Logan's script for "Spectre"

Comments

I actually thought it made sense linking Silva to SPECTRE. I understood he was more or less freelancing for them anyway. It is unlikely Silva would have been able to operate without their knowledge and consent. And it made more sense to have his henchmen motivated by something else than his own personal vendetta.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Ludovico, that's how I took it, and thankfully, it makes me appreciate SF just a little bit more, now that they've kind of cleared up the impossible involving Silva's escape; it was merely Blofeld pulling all the strings and assisting, which makes his entire plan that much more plausible.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I have heard two or three leaked scripts are out there. Does anyone have a definite answer? I'm just curious.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I have heard two or three leaked scripts are out there. Does anyone have a definite answer? I'm just curious.
    I believe there's three out there.
    Wait, where did you read this?

"ski parkour" might be great and better than any action scene in SP other than the train fight.

Black african warlord Blofeld ? Not sure if I hate this or the half-brother angle more..I guess I hate the latter one more....but are dumb but the first one is less ridiculous and has potential.

Female henchman?(or should I say henchwoman) hmm...eh, it depends on who would play the character, but yes, why not I never thought of something like that.

It's interesting how scriptwritters actually have to write too many versions of the "same" script.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I heard of an October and a December script (I believe those are the months, could be wrong), but I didn't know of a third one. I'd love to see this.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I think an African warlord villain would have suited better as the head of Spectre, and would certainly have been a better antagonist. But, I'd like him being someone other than Blofeld. As Bond kills him in the end, a post-credits sequence will have a new leader elected into the position. We see his cat being stroked in his arms just before one of the chairmen around the table asks a question or says something that causes the cat to dramatically jump off and away, as we slowly see the face of Blofeld who promises that Spectre's attack on those who faulted them will be bigger and far more ruthless.

That's how I would have done it.
    When I think of African warlord I think of Obano from CR. Why have a warlord do business with another warlord?
    The African warlord Blofeld was a terrible idea, for so many reasons: What kind of African has a German sounding name? The field of activity of an African warlord is, by definition, confined to Africa. If he gets of of there, it is for circumstantial reasons. it is as far as possible from the source material Blofeld as it can be (and yes, making Blofeld Oberhauser's son is still closer to the novels than making him an African warlord).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Regardless, they are both asinine ideas. Tragically, one was put to film, while the other, thankfully, was left at the conceptualization stage.
    It would appear that there is another script. Would love to read it. Maybe someone has it? I don't know what the deal is or what the policy is on that now. It's been a bit of time.

http://www.commander007.net/2015/11/spectre-scripts-8-octobre-9-novembre/

I don't recall reading about a guy named Pruitt.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 14,824
    bondjames wrote: »
    Regardless, they are both asinine ideas. Tragically, one was put to film, while the other, thankfully, was left at the conceptualization stage.

One is a questionable idea, the other a very bad idea. And the Oberhauser connection can be easily disregarded. The African warlord, not so much.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He wouldn't be a secret head of an organization especially if he was an African Warlord. Save it for Buonapart Ignace Gallia.
    Murdock wrote: »
    He wouldn't be a secret head of an organization especially if he was an African Warlord. Save it for Buonapart Ignace Gallia.

After Blofeld, and General Grubozaboischikov (spelling?), I dream that Gallia will show up in the movies. As he never truly did yet.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My dream would be a New York set Bond adventures with the Spang Brothers as the villains.
  • CigaretteLeiterCigaretteLeiter United States
    It would appear that there is another script. Would love to read it. Maybe someone has it? I don't know what the deal is or what the policy is on that now. It's been a bit of time.

http://www.commander007.net/2015/11/spectre-scripts-8-octobre-9-novembre/

I don't recall reading about a guy named Pruitt.

Is there an English version anywhere?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Ludovico wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

One is a questionable idea, the other a very bad idea. And the Oberhauser connection can be easily disregarded. The African warlord, not so much.
    Also, the African warlord concept would have likely cast the general audience's minds back to Obanno from CR, and added further confusion, if they had continued with the retcon 'author of pain' idea in this instance.

Given how silly these scriptwriters have been, I wouldn't have been surprised if they had thought it smart to add some kind of butterfingered relationship / connection there as well.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 3,675
    Yes, I'd like to know that as well. Google makes it very hard to comprehend.
    Given what we know about the Logan script, I think, even with the problems that it does have, I would have rather seen that version of Spectre than the odd mixture of half-baked ideas that we ultimately got.

Blofeld as an African warlord isn't a particularly good idea, but the code book that yields the name "Blofeld" would have been a good foundation to set things up with. This would have allowed for the film to treat the identity of Blofeld as a mystery throughout the film, rather than pegging Oberhauser as Blofeld from his first appearance.

As it ultimately ended up, there were just too many cooks in the kitchen on Spectre for things to really work. As misguided as it might have been, I think a film with a singular and consistent vision throughout that takes a few risks, even if built on ideas that aren't exactly ideal might have come across better than a film that features a ton of half-baked ideas that never really go anywhere or do anything particularly interesting.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    The African warlord Blofeld was a terrible idea, for so many reasons: What kind of African has a German sounding name? The field of activity of an African warlord is, by definition, confined to Africa. If he gets of of there, it is for circumstantial reasons. it is as far as possible from the source material Blofeld as it can be (and yes, making Blofeld Oberhauser's son is still closer to the novels than making him an African warlord).

Under that story, Blofeld was an alias. The villain had an African name.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    With what I've read of earlier scripts, I am so glad SPECTRE did not follow those main ideas, which I still think would have been awful. It's a wonder it turned out so well. I do think it's a fine Bond film, very enjoyable, well done, and I don't have any huge problem with the script. Blofeld was sure to return, and now he will be back in at least 1 more film. I'm just glad most of the old ideas were thrown out.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited January 2016 Posts: 9,117
    With what I've read of earlier scripts, I am so glad SPECTRE did not follow those main ideas, which I still think would have been awful.

Agreed.
    It's a wonder it turned out so well. I do think it's a fine Bond film, very enjoyable, well done, and I don't have any huge problem with the script.

Disagreed.

They've had three years to get the script up to scratch yet it seems as much of a shambles as QOS which had two years and a writers strike to contend with.

I'll grant you it's an enjoyable and a decent romp but it should have been so much more.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yeah I do like it very much. Not any major quibbles with it.
    With what I've read of earlier scripts, I am so glad SPECTRE did not follow those main ideas, which I still think would have been awful. It's a wonder it turned out so well. I do think it's a fine Bond film, very enjoyable, well done, and I don't have any huge problem with the script. Blofeld was sure to return, and now he will be back in at least 1 more film. I'm just glad most of the old ideas were thrown out.

Yeah I agree, it was really enjoyable. I stayed clear of all the leaks etc before seeing the film, but was quite intrigued to see what had been revealed after I had seen it. And I agree it's remarkable that it turned out so well given all the issues with the script, I believe at one point Mendes nearly walked too. I wonder if the reason why there is no commentary on the Blu Ray is because of the elephant in the room being the hacks, i.e. it would be a bit odd to do a commentary and not acknowledge the hacks.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    How have you got a copy of the blue ray already???
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I am surprised too. It's good having an inside man in every place. ;)

Under that story, Blofeld was an alias. The villain had an African name.

Still a terrible idea: Blofeld as a codename with nothing of the original background. At least in the movie we got Blofeld choosing his new name because of family connections.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,767
    Hold on, now you´re giving me ideas. He could be from a former German colony, his grandaddy or great-grandaddy could have been a German colonial bigshot who meddled with his native household, and who had some kind of megalomaniacal ideas in his genes. That would even have some Fleming-esque whackiness to it :-).
    And then it would make sense if being a local warlord was kind of his legitimate business, while in secret he put together a world-spanning organization with the spoils.

My dream would be a New York set Bond adventures with the Spang Brothers as the villains.
    Played by Brendan Gleeson and Ray Winstone :-)!

• RC7RC7
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Played by Brendan Gleeson and Ray Winstone :-)!

Both played by Tom Hardy... Damn.