Looking through John Logan's script for "Spectre"

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @patb I always felt C was meant to be a rival for M rather than 007 directly, it would make sense that that is more of the focus. Bond has Brofeld to deal with, I think he only interacts with C once at the beginning and that's it.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Mallory wrote: »
    @mtm I think with Spectre there are little individual scenes, sequences and lines of dialogue that work. But the fatal flaw is that the story and script just doesn't work.

I have read the October 2014 'shooting script' and when compared to the final product, some of the changes made were for the better, some worse, but ultimately the core idea was so poor and underdeveloped, only a complete head to toe rewrite of the whole story and structure could really improve it, and they just didn't have the time to do that.

I cant work out how it took Broccoli, Wilson and Mendes until Summer 2014 to realise their script was so poor. I mean what were they doing between Jan 2013 and then? P&W's involvement was first announced June 2014, and they essentially had a very short window to make any major changes as the film was racing into pre-production, building sets, booking shooting locations, cast and crew, ahead of a December production start date.

I just smacks of Broccoli, Wilson and co being asleep at the wheel.

I think the thematic 'meat' of the film changed from Logan's script to P&W's draft.

Eventually, SP became a very timely film for 2015 about the surveillance state, the Snowden leaks and governmental control. However, this wasn't always the intention.

It seems that initially John Logan wanted to make a film about Britain's past colonial history. In Logan's draft, Blofeld is an African warlord with a grudge against Britain going back to their colonial days. It would also be revealed that Blofeld's real name is Joseph Ki-Embu (Chiwetel Ejoifer had agreed to play the role).

Chiwetel-Ejiofor.jpg

Blofeld's ultimate aim was the destroy England. He planned to do this by blowing up the Houses of Parliament. The finale would have involved Blofeld arriving on the Thames in a tanker. He would then raid the House of Parliament and chastise the MPs and delegates in attendance before killing them. Bond would arrive and a huge fight would start and eventually lead to the climax at the top of Big Ben. I think the boat chase and finale on Westminster Bridge was also in play as it was one of the big sets that needed to be built and was eventually created at Pinewood using LED screens like 'The Mandalorian.' (In the final film, the bones of this sequence are still there but replaced with the abandoned MI6 building and boat 'chase')

28CE4B2400000578-0-image-m-30_1431935635559.jpg

Colonialism as a theme is a really interesting idea, giving the villain a compelling motivation with some rich thematic texture. In fact, I can see them revisiting this idea in a post-BLM world. However, in a post-2020 world, it may not work so well with a white hero saving the day from a black villain. But if they did cast an ethnic actor as Bond, it would make for some seriously rich material.

However, I can see why Mendes and Eon bailed. Colonism wasn't exactly on the news agenda in 2015 and didn't have that edgy/'ripped from the headlines' feel then. On the other hand, Snowden did. But 2015 feels like lightyears ago politically. So don't be surprised if this idea remerges. In fact, a lot of these ideas were worked into Black Panther and the international debate concerning monuments...SP could have been very prescient for 2015.

killmonger-museum.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2020 Posts: 14,935
    I must say, even if you presented the two options to me now, I'd still go for the Nine eyes surveillance plot. The colonialism thing feels a bit limp as a justification for a modern day villain (much like Trevelyan's very vague and slightly unconvincing Cosack motivation) and you have a character who sounds like he's Blofeld in name only, great though Ejiofor would be.
    I'm not saying colonialism isn't an important subject or that I'd have a problem with a black Blofeld (before that gets misconstrued), but as presented here I don't think they work. Does he even have a 'Spectre'?
    edited July 2020 Posts: 2,056
    I think ultimately the first bullet point on the very first "Bond 24 Story Ideas" doomed the project from the start:
    • Bring back Spectre

I cant really get my head around the logic of introducing a multi-film "evil organisation" in the fourth (and potentially last) film of a Bond actor's reign, especially as the Craig era had introduced (half arsed, admittedly) Quantum as the big bad organisation.

'Spectre' as an organisation should've been kept back and used as the background bad guys for Bond Actor Number 7, and been threaded throughout their films as they were for Connery's.

Could you rename the organisation in Spectre, to say Quantum, and would it drastically affect the film? No, it wouldn't. S.P.E.C.T.R.E, as portrayed in Spectre, adds nothing.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 4,599
    @patb I always felt C was meant to be a rival for M rather than 007 directly, it would make sense that that is more of the focus. Bond has Brofeld to deal with, I think he only interacts with C once at the beginning and that's it.

Brofeld was useless re plot and provided no additional stakes. It was not needed (its been done to death). C effectively framing the double 0 team (via Bond) could get the Home Secretary onto C's side and M is placed into a hard decision.

PS on top of building opposite embassy, Bond is shot with tranquiliser gun and, whilst asleep, henchman places Bond's hand onto his "personalised" pistol grip and shoots diplomat as he exits embassy. (therefore bullet is matched) Bond wakes alone with spent cartridge by his side and ambulances in the street. Who will believe him? The personalised pistol grip now is a liablilty as it "proves" he took the shot. Meanwhile, large amount of cash appears in Bond's bank account - has Bond turned hired killer? (getting carried away, sorry).
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Like I always say EON didn't know exactly what to do with Craig's era. If they wanted to serialize it from the beginning, things wouldn't have looked contrived as most things are now.

If we ask EON to be completely honest with themselves, they would tell us that the moment M threw the file to Bond in SF, saying 'Are you ready to get back to work?'....that was the beginning of Craig's Bond resuming standalone missions with his personal matters put behind him. I would say Mendes is the reason why Craig's Bond is still batting his personal Demons, coz Mendes felt SF wasn't a complete story and chose to continue it with SP.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I think ultimately the first bullet point on the very first "Bond 24 Story Ideas" doomed the project from the start:
    • Bring back Spectre

I cant really get my head around the logic of introducing a multi-film "evil organisation" in the fourth (and potentially last) film of a Bond actor's reign, especially as the Craig era had introduced (half arsed, admittedly) Quantum as the big bad organisation.

'Spectre' as an organisation should've been kept back and used as the background bad guys for Bond Actor Number 7, and been threaded throughout their films as they were for Connery's.

Could you rename the organisation in Spectre, to say Quantum, and would it drastically affect the film? No, it wouldn't. S.P.E.C.T.R.E, as portrayed in Spectre, adds nothing.

Or, at the very least, they could have gone back to the TSWLM draft in which rebels stormed SPECTRE and overthrew the leaders...that could easily be accompanied by a line, "Quantum is the past. We're Spectre now."
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    patb wrote: »

Brofeld was useless re plot and provided no additional stakes. It was not needed (its been done to death). C effectively framing the double 0 team (via Bond) could get the Home Secretary onto C's side and M is placed into a hard decision.

PS on top of building opposite embassy, Bond is shot with tranquiliser gun and, whilst asleep, henchman places Bond's hand onto his "personalised" pistol grip and shoots diplomat as he exits embassy. (therefore bullet is matched) Bond wakes alone with spent cartridge by his side and ambulances in the street. Who will believe him? The personalised pistol grip now is a liablilty as it "proves" he took the shot. Meanwhile, large amount of cash appears in Bond's bank account - has Bond turned hired killer? (getting carried away, sorry).

I like it :)
    • Bring back Spectre

I don't know if anything should be held back to be honest: if you've got something, stick it in the film you're making right now. So I can see why they decided to go for it, and I don't think using Blofeld or Spectre is a bad idea in itself. I certainly think doing the big evil meeting and crater base etc. is a better embracing of the concept than turning him an African warlord, which isn't Blofeld at all.

I don't think it's built on intrinsically bad ideas: Nine Eyes, C, Spectre... none of it is a bad groundwork. It's just that they try and graft it onto his other films (Blofeld somehow behind it all) rather than perhaps give him some pain in this film (patb's framing of Bond works here), and you have Dench's M just giving him exposition rather than a meaningful reason to act. And yes, I think there's nothing wrong with giving Bond motivation beyond being just given a mission by M.
    @GadgetMan 100% agree, that final scene in SF is like an invitaton for all writers to pick up a pen. Everything and everyone is in place for a great standalone movie. Just ready to go. What a waste.
    mtm wrote: »
    I must say, even if you presented the two options to me now, I'd still go for the Nine eyes surveillance plot. The colonialism thing feels a bit limp as a justification for a modern day villain (much like Trevelyan's very vague and slightly unconvincing Cosack motivation) and you have a character who sounds like he's Blofeld in name only, great though Ejiofor would be.
    I'm not saying colonialism isn't an important subject or that I'd have a problem with a black Blofeld (before that gets misconstrued), but as presented here I don't think they work. Does he even have a 'Spectre'?

Same here. I'd go with Nine Eyes in spite of its flaws. Especially since Ejiofor is a tad young to be bent on revenge for British colonialism! And I'll put my foot down on a black Blofeld : not keen on it at all. He's meant to be an Eastern European man (so no, not Meryl Streep either) who thinks he's got French aristocratic blood. Making him an angry African warlord bent on revenge just changes him beyond recognition. They could have used Buonaparte Ignace Gallia, who although Haitian in the source material would have made the transition a little bit better (albeit with a name like this he'd more likely come from French colonies).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ludovico wrote: »

Same here. I'd go with Nine Eyes in spite of its flaws. Especially since Ejiofor is a tad young to be bent on revenge for British colonialism! And I'll put my foot down on a black Blofeld : not keen on it at all. He's meant to be an Eastern European man (so no, not Meryl Streep either) who thinks he's got French aristocratic blood.

I don't think that's a massive reason to not cast a black actor. They got Telly Savalas to do it in a broad New York accent! :) And in this one he seems more keen to take up his family name of Blofeld than he does de Bleuchamp.
    But I agree that making him an African warlord who is actually angry about political issues of the past just makes him into someone else. The final version of him we get in Spectre is at least vaguely consistent with the original Blofeld's motivations and methods.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,962
    I don't love the Nine Eyes plot...it feels a little too similar to SF for me.

If they were insistent upon a revenge angle for Blofeld, they should have just gone for it and not muddied the waters with a ripped-from-the-headlines/warmed-over-Snowden plot. Something like that one Gardner book where there's a bounty on Bond's head.

Although I suspect the Nine Eyes plot is also there to give Fiennes more scenes.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The podcast chap raises an interesting point that Swann perhaps comes a bit late into the plot, and up until then Bond is basically just going around on a treasure hunt, meeting people just to be told where to go next (not unlike the rather simplistic plotting in TSWLM: meet Fekkesh, who will tell you where to meet Kalba, who will give you a microfilm telling where.. etc.); so perhaps it would have been good if the opening mission in Mexico had been him trying to find Swann, and whilst on that mission being set up by C and framed for some big incident. That way you tie together Blofeld, Bond, C and Swann properly.
    Again, I need to chew that over a bit more, I'm not sure of it 100%. I guess it would make more sense for Dench M to be telling him to go after Mr White's daughter as at least she has some sort of reason to know who she is: we know Mr White was on her radar because we saw them meet. In a weird sort of way it would kind of give a good reason for Bond's affection towards Swann too.

On another level, I've always thought that rather than le Chiffre, Greene etc. turning out to have all been Spectre agents, it would have been better if they had been Spectre's enemies, who Blofeld had secretly been pulling Bond's strings to destroy for him. If you have to tie the previous films together (and I don't think you do) doesn't it make him a bit more interesting to have made him a manipulator of Bond's life for his own gain?
    @mtm I always liked the idea of Madeline seeking Bond out, and asking him to help her (and her father) take down Spectre, as they had tried to kill them/chase them down, and as Bond had a prior history with her father, he would be the one they turn to. This would bring her into the story a lot sooner.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 14,816

Same here. I'd go with Nine Eyes in spite of its flaws. Especially since Ejiofor is a tad young to be bent on revenge for British colonialism! And I'll put my foot down on a black Blofeld : not keen on it at all. He's meant to be an Eastern European man (so no, not Meryl Streep either) who thinks he's got French aristocratic blood.

I don't think that's a massive reason to not cast a black actor. They got Telly Savalas to do it in a broad New York accent! :) And in this one he seems more keen to take up his family name of Blofeld than he does de Bleuchamp.
    But I agree that making him an African warlord who is actually angry about political issues of the past just makes him into someone else. The final version of him we get in Spectre is at least vaguely consistent with the original Blofeld's motivations and methods.

It might be for the Questions thread, but I always wondered if Telly Savalas was cast as Blofeld partially because Blofeld is half Greek and because Savalas played a man of Polish origins as Kojak. I think Savalas' take on Blofeld is not quite perfect, but his cultural background and his appearance makes him far closer to the novel Blofeld than Charles Gray or Donald Pleasence. Given the name, casting an Austrian actor makes at least some sense.

And yes, I agree that the Nine Eyes was somewhat consistent to Blofeld's background as described in TB.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The main issue was tying up loose ends. That's where all the problems start.

Also, Skyfall didn't setup a sequel yet we got one anyway.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    @mtm I always liked the idea of Madeline seeking Bond out, and asking him to help her (and her father) take down Spectre, as they had tried to kill them/chase them down, and as Bond had a prior history with her father, he would be the one they turn to. This would bring her into the story a lot sooner.

Interesting, yes. Or maybe she'd even gone to (dead)M.

It might be for the Questions thread, but I always wondered if Telly Savalas was cast as Blofeld partially because Blofeld is half Greek and because Savalas played a man of Polish origins as Kojak.

Bit of a reach I think. More likely it's because he was bald (like Pleasance's Blofeld) and really good! :)
    Denbigh wrote: »

Yep, the whole epilogue of Skyfall (back in the old office) was meant to be a blank slate set up for the next film. A rejuvenated Bond, a new MI6 team, unencumbered by the past, ready to push forward onto new adventures. A classic Bond adventure.

At least that is how I interpreted it.
    Bit like an old car, sometimes it's much easier to scrap it and buy a new one rather than repair and repair. We are trying to repair SP rather than scrap.
    Perhaps there was a missed opportunity within the PTS? When your characters are in masks, you can have fun with the plot and the audience re who is who and who has met who. (the reveal of Bond in the PTS is just wasted, zero drama or impact)
    A mask is, after all , a disguise, a threat, and Bond is meant to be a spy. Perhaps a masked Swann was going to be abducted by a masked bad guy and masked Bond saves her (then the reveal). "Bond" pulls away mask "James Bond" Far more intriguing re the audience wondering whats happening (whos good and who's bad?) , etc. (and more intriguing re their initial meeting/ralationship). Then much more time to build chemistry (it was dreadfully lacking)...

slow day at work..............
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Bit like an old car, sometimes it's much easier to scrap it and buy a new one rather than repair and repair. We are trying to repair SP rather than scrap.
    Perhaps there was a missed opportunity within the PTS? When your characters are in masks, you can have fun with the plot and the audience re who is who and who has met who. (the reveal of Bond in the PTS is just wasted, zero drama or impact)
    A mask is, after all , a disguise, a threat, and Bond is meant to be a spy. Perhaps a masked Swann was going to be abducted by a masked bad guy and masked Bond saves her (then the reveal). "Bond" pulls away mask "James Bond" Far more intriguing re the audience wondering whats happening (whos good and who's bad?) , etc. (and more intriguing re their initial meeting/ralationship). Then much more time to build chemistry (it was dreadfully lacking)...

True, SP had elements to make it a Top Bond film....that's why it always annoys us more when we discuss it. The mask thing would have really worked....The more we discuss SP, the more we see the missed opportunities.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 4,400
    echo wrote: »

If they were insistent upon a revenge angle for Blofeld, they should have just gone for it and not muddied the waters with a ripped-from-the-headlines/warmed-over-Snowden plot. Something like that one Gardner book where there's a bounty on Bond's head.

Although I suspect the Nine Eyes plot is also there to give Fiennes more scenes.

I do agree.

I think Nine Eyes was added as it tied into two ideas: (1) The modern surveillance-state paranoia; and (2) The theme developed in Skyfall that MI6 is outdated and redundant.

I actually like the idea. It contrasts well with M being an old bureaucrat and C being younger working in a sleek office with new toys. It also works with the decision to have the finale in the empty carcass of the old MI6 building which (much like it's ideas and values) is a ruin.

Sam Mendes speaks of the surveillance theme and it's threat to civil liberties below. He also speaks about the dynamic within MI6 and how it was important to have the character of C in order to show Britain aren't the 'good guys.'

It's also worth noting that Barbara Broccoli was planning on making an Edward Snowden biopic at Sony in 2014 before being beaten by Oliver Stone. So Eon clearly thought it was a great idea for a film.

I do agree though that Joseph Ki-Embu just isn't Blofeld. Even though the whole Oberhauser angle was botched in the final film, the conception of the character is still clearly associated with the character of Blofeld. It still feels like that character, albeit reinvented.

That's not to say a black actor could not play Blofeld. I think that's more than feasible, especially if someone as talented as Chiwetel Ejoifer was available.

But I think Joseph Ki-Embu, an African Warlord with a grudge against England, sounds like his own character. In fact, he sounds like a really good character! I can imagine Ejoifer playing the role in a future Bond film. Get Barry Jenkins to direct and Sope Dirisu as Bond and you're off!
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,962

Yep, the whole epilogue of Skyfall (back in the old office) was meant to be a blank slate set up for the next film. A rejuvenated Bond, a new MI6 team, unencumbered by the past, ready to push forward onto new adventures. A classic Bond adventure.

The same thing could be said for the end of QoS. But Mendes simply couldn't help himself, in either film.

I think Logan's initial concept was for it to be a masked Carnivale, in Venice. Then it got moved to Mexico City, and changed to The Day of the Dead, where they now have an actual Day of the Dead celebration.

That's the cultural impact of even a bad Bond film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    And I think the next Mission Impossible is doing the Venice masked carnival now (I'm sure it's not the first film to use that).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    echo wrote: »

But I think Joseph Ki-Embu, an African Warlord with a grudge against England, sounds like his own character. In fact, he sounds like a really good character! I can imagine Ejoifer playing the role in a future Bond film. Get Barry Jenkins to direct and Sope Dirisu as Bond and you're off!

Yeah there's something there, but the motivation sounds a bit wishy-washy. To be honest a lot of these films struggle finding good motivation for their villains: all of the recent Mission Impossible films have had villains who want to blow up the world because it's over-populated and needs a bit of thinning out, which is pretty vague, and Bond hasn't fared much better. So from that point of the view the 'Bro-feld' thing at least attempts to give some personal motivation to try and drive the film beyond the slightly dull surveillance aspect, even if it is a bad idea. So I don't mind these 'personal' things at all: the villain plots are usually so vague as to be worth drawing our attention away from.

I kind of wish they'd look to Casino Royale and realise you maybe don't need someone who wants to destroy the world, you just need someone trying to make money or even just get out of a situation. Skyfall's plot is good: an old betrayed agent turns against M - that works. Nice and simple and it's dramatic.
    If they wanted to make Blofeld's resentment of Bond personal then surely they'd already done it by making Bond responsible for defeating all of his previous plans in the preceding movies? Not that his dad taught Bond how to ski. Or if you wanted one on an actual personal level you've got C who works in the same building: you could find a personal beef with Bond there, I'm sure, and keep Blofeld as a bit more removed and distant.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I notice that 'Some Kind of Hero' suggests that Ejiofor was considered for the role of C rather than Blofeld.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,869

+1000

Exactly @Mallory, and they still could have done all of that while bringing back SPECTRE.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think it's the mentions of previous films which cause the issue in this one though.

Interesting, yes. Or maybe she'd even gone to (dead)M.

It might be for the Questions thread, but I always wondered if Telly Savalas was cast as Blofeld partially because Blofeld is half Greek and because Savalas played a man of Polish origins as Kojak.

Bit of a reach I think. More likely it's because he was bald (like Pleasance's Blofeld) and really good! :)

He was good, but I never thought he was that good to be honest. In any case, that he was of Greek origins seems a heck of a coincidence to me. And he does look like the novel Blofeld albeit ironically not from OHMSS.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited July 2020 Posts: 560
    Colonialism is an interesting theme but it would be very difficult to do it right and not offend people. Perhaps if they took a page out of the aborted Bond 17 script and had a British or European villain who's nostalgic for the days of empire expansion, it could work.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess.. maybe it's for another thread, but finding a villain's scheme that's interesting is a really tough call I think. Silva wanting to kill M is such a nice and simple way of getting the audience to feel the drama; I'd suggest that Camille's path of revenge on Maduro is probably more interesting and engaging than Greene's evil plot too.