Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

Okay listen to the preview, it's amazing. Simply amazing.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 2,598
    I know its just a sample and bad quality and whatnot but this is a bit more cliche than I had originally hoped for. I just don't hear nothing special. I wanted to be instantly grabbed by the nuts as with AVTAK or LALD but sadly I won't this time around.

But hey! I used to think You Know My Name was shit when I first listened to it and then when i saw the movie and the TS it just blew me away, so hopefully this phenomenon will repeat itself.

I agree Treefingers. It sounds a bit cliched to me too. Plain aswell although I do think part of the tune is alright. I'll reserve final judgement until I've heard the full song. Currently it sounds like they haven't really put anything special into it. It's the Bond theme with a bit of a tweek in parts.

• TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    That little part between the chorus and 2nd verse (the bridge?) with that three note progression reminds me of that same part in AWTD don't you think?

I also agree with another poster who previously noted she uses the song title perhaps too much in the lyrics.
  • Best song since GoldenEye, but it's still far off from the fantastic tunes of the Roger Moore era. I don't think anything will ever top "A View to a Kill" - at least for me.
  • Which Bond theme song is in SKYFALL? I just heard them all and I can't find it.

BTW, my favorite ones are GoldenEye, Goldfinger, Thunderball, On Her Majesties Secret Service, and Diamonds Are Forever(my favorite! I can listen to this over and over and never get sick of it) :)
    I like the one from Dr. No, of course it's the original :) Really catchy!
    I don't like at all Alicia Key's version :/ And Madonna :/ I actually have the album with DAD on it, I was like 12 so that's why I bought it lol.
  • I seem to recall the song title being used quite extensively in TLD, DAD, and GE.
    adelefan wrote:
    Which Bond theme song is in SKYFALL? I just heard them all and I can't find it.

BTW, my favorite ones are GoldenEye, Goldfinger, Thunderball, On Her Majesties Secret Service, and Diamonds Are Forever(my favorite! I can listen to this over and over and never get sick of it) :)
    I don't like at all Alicia Key's version :/ And Madonna :/ I actually have the album with DAD on it, I was like 12 so that's why I bought it lol.

Check mi6 hq
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Jeez, there's just no pleasing some Bond fans and this song uses the title of the film just as much or even less than many of the classic Bond themes that came before it. Also, this is a minute and a half sample of a 4 minute song, if you know Adele's music, you'd be able to tell that the sample we're hearing doesn't scratch the surface of her letting rip on the song yet.
  • Virage wrote:
    adelefan wrote:

Check mi6 hq

not sure what you mean. I THINK I hear a little of Dr.No's theme, is that what you guys are talking about?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    doubleoego wrote:
    Jeez, there's just no pleasing some Bond fans and this song uses the title of the film just as much or even less than many of the classic Bond themes that came before it. Also, this is a minute and a half sample of a 4 minute song, if you know Adele's music, you'd be able to tell that the sample we're hearing doesn't scratch the surface of her letting rip on the song yet.

I haven't listened to the sample, but the last bit of your comment sums Adele up completely: take 'Set Fire To The Rain,' for example. If we heard the first minute of that, most of us may think it's great and she has a nice voice. But, it's that chorus where she lets loose and shows off the beauty of her vocals.
    adelefan wrote:
    Virage wrote:
    adelefan wrote:

Check mi6 hq

not sure what you mean. I THINK I hear a little of Dr.No's theme, is that what you guys are talking about?

Yeah, the Dr No theme is commonly known as just 'The James Bond theme' and it comes up in every Bond film, sometimes sampled in other tracks, like it is here.
    That little part between the chorus and 2nd verse (the bridge?) with that three note progression reminds me of that same part in AWTD don't you think?

I also agree with another poster who previously noted she uses the song title perhaps too much in the lyrics.

I'll have to listen to Another Way to Die again. It's not a song I listen to often. Yes, the 007 theme sounds somewhat familiar. ;)

"Which Bond theme song is in SKYFALL? I just heard them all and I can't find it."

Monty Norman's classic Bond theme that they play through the gun barrel sequence in each film.
  • thank you @Volante and @Bounine :)

@creasy47 Adele's music works very well in building up emotions reaching to the climax of the song. All her songs start out slow. Perfect examples are Set Fire To The Rain and Rolling In The Deep. The first 45 seconds of both of those songs aren't anywhere near the last 30 seconds! SKYFALL sounds very different than most of her work but I'm very ANXIOUS to hear the rest because I know it's going to be breathtaking!

* The last 40 seconds of Set Fire To The Rain are extremely intense. Most likely SKYFALL will end like that. It ends in an instant as well which I love. It gets exhausting singing that song sometimes and for it to end like that, it's great!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    adelefan wrote:
    thank you @Volante and @Bounine :)

@creasy47 Adele's music works very well in building up emotions reaching to the climax of the song. All her songs start out slow. Perfect examples are Set Fire To The Rain and Rolling In The Deep. The first 45 seconds of both of those songs aren't anywhere near the last 30 seconds! SKYFALL sounds very different than most of her work but I'm very ANXIOUS to hear the rest because I know it's going to be breathtaking!

* The last 40 seconds of Set Fire To The Rain are extremely intense. Most likely SKYFALL will end like that. It ends in an instant as well which I love. It gets exhausting singing that song sometimes and for it to end like that, it's great!

I love 'Set Fire To The Rain,' especially the ending. Her voice just carries throughout and ends abruptly with the instruments. It's beautiful.
    A good song has to be interesting the whole way through though, not just at the end. Set Fire To The Rain sounds more interesting than Skyfall even during the verses but as I said, ofcourse I'll reserve my final judgement until I've heard the song in it's entirety.
  • Bounine wrote:
    A good song has to be interesting the whole way through though, not just at the end. Set Fire To The Rain sounds more interesting than Skyfall even during the verses but as I said, ofcourse I'll reserve my final judgement until I've heard the song in it's entirety.

It can be interesting all the way thru, being slow doesn't make it uninteresting IMO. It's about the experience and emotions the songs build up and down while listening to it. That's why listening to the whole song is imperative. We have to wait till Friday but I actually wouldn't mind if the whole song sounded like that minute and 30 seconds we just heard lol It's so sultry and dramatic, I love it! It'll get more intense, no doubt about it.

With Paul Epworth you'll get a breathtaking instrumental piece with this song, and Adele's emotions throughout the song are without a doubt the best you'll hear in any song. Remember I'm an Adele fan so I'll defend her till the end lol It all has to do with taste as well. Not everyone is going to love this song.
    I'm not saying that a song is uninteresting just because it is slow. But let's wait to hear the whole song.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Don't know much of Muse- what's this Bond-sounding song people refer to?
  • Bounine wrote:
    I'm not saying that a song is uninteresting just because it is slow. But let's wait to hear the whole song.
    sorry I misinterpreted what you said then lol
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,399
    =bg= wrote:

it's either "Uno" or "United States Of Eurasia"... both have a Bond flair to them..

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i think the problem is - is people's expectations rob them of being able to sit back and simply enjoy.. because thats when instant judgments are made.....

IMO, it's strong - a bit cliche'? maybe - but i think it's still a solid sampling, and it's been a while since we've had the title of the film in the song, so that is nice to hear lol... and honestly, using the Bond theme's note progression in the song doesn't bother me at all.... enough of the song is original, that using it as a bridge between chorus and verse is alright - had she simply put lyrics to the Bond theme, then it would be a different issue.
    I like the way they introduced the Bond theme in the background of the music.
    doubleoego wrote:

Hey Bennie. Shall we skype a bit tonight :-). I need to share my Bond-craziness with someone now hehe.

• edited October 2012 Posts: 140
    =bg= wrote:
    The one we were referring to is actually "Supremacy". The first track off their new album The 2nd Law
  • I got in the car this morning...switched on the radio and they were playing SKYFALL!
    I thought..whats going on here and got quite excited. However it turned out to be the sample I heard last night and they said to check it out on Friday....Sounded great though on the radio!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

I haven't listened to the sample, but the last bit of your comment sums Adele up completely: take 'Set Fire To The Rain,' for example. If we heard the first minute of that, most of us may think it's great and she has a nice voice. But, it's that chorus where she lets loose and shows off the beauty of her vocals.

Precisely!
    Who was it that insisted that they heard Adele's theme in HMV and it was like 'The Living Daylights'? They were a bit off, this is very 'Diamonds are Forever'.
    doubleoego wrote:

Hey Bennie. Shall we skype a bit tonight :-). I need to share my Bond-craziness with someone now hehe.

I beg your pardon?

• edited October 2012 Posts: 655
    gt007 wrote:
    In UK, BMT, is it released at 7 minues past midnight. It seems a bit strange, as i thought they would announce it the radio in the afternoon. ????? why release it when most people wont be up.
    Because it's 0:07. They don't care if kids are asleep. And they're right.
    i think its cool. i have no isuee with it. just not what they usually do . i dont go to be till 1ish anyway
    00Beast wrote:
    Well that's just great. A cruddy artist like Adele having a part in my favorite movie franchise. Uggghhhhhh.......where have we gone wrong? Can't believe it's finally confirmed. What a disappointment, and waste of talent and potential.

You must have no idea a bout classy bond themes then. haters are gonna hate.

I think its one of the best bond songs since Golfinger. Does anyone else agree.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    If we start campaigning now, we can get Rush for Bond 24!

I wasn't too big on the preview but I'll wait for the full song. I did like it when the Bond theme started.
    00Beast wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Wait to hear the tune first before being so quick to judge! ;-)

But it is Adele! That fact alone already says it all! She's just incredibly annoying, I mean good grief, her voice is so grating!

No matter who writes/sings the song, there will be haters...

Please don't do that. "You don't like something so your just a hater!" He doesn't like Adele, so what?
    00Beast wrote:
    Well that's just great. A cruddy artist like Adele having a part in my favorite movie franchise. Uggghhhhhh.......where have we gone wrong? Can't believe it's finally confirmed. What a disappointment, and waste of talent and potential.

You must have no idea a bout classy bond themes. Are you even a true bond fan???

Of course, he's seen all the films, etc, but he doesn't like Adele so he's not a true Bond fan! It makes perfect sense!