Are we all happy now that dust has settled? -Spectre Spoilers

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Any film can be improved with more time and care. SPECTRE is amazing the way it is. Flawed, but amazing nonetheless.

Would you care to elaborate on why you think SP is flawed? It's just that in the Christoph Waltz thread you seem to have a downer on people being negative towards SP?

I have never said that SP was devoid of criticism, or should be treated as such. What I took issue with was a specific criticism because I didn't see any basis in it, and still don't.

Well seeing as you discount the handling of Blofeld as a negative point against the film I'd be interested to hear exactly what your criticisms are then?

Assuming you haven't lost the evidence that is.

I never discounted it, I just didn't see any merit in it either.

To answer you're question, I can see where people are coming from when they say that SP is very liberal in its use of imagery from past Bond films. In fact, you could probably link virtually every scene back to another entry in the series. So I can somewhat see where people are coming from when they say criticise that. Also, I think they could've done a much better job of linking SP to the rest of the Craig era. I personnaly don't think this is a big deal, because its such a small part of the film overall, but still. I definitely think this criticism is valid. And, I have to agree that the third act is the weakest by far. To me the first two are 9/10 and the third is 6/10. So overall, it's a solid 8/10 film. As far as I am concerned, that is still excellent, in spite of its faults.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Any film can be improved with more time and care. SPECTRE is amazing the way it is. Flawed, but amazing nonetheless.

Would you care to elaborate on why you think SP is flawed? It's just that in the Christoph Waltz thread you seem to have a downer on people being negative towards SP?

I have never said that SP was devoid of criticism, or should be treated as such. What I took issue with was a specific criticism because I didn't see any basis in it, and still don't.

Well seeing as you discount the handling of Blofeld as a negative point against the film I'd be interested to hear exactly what your criticisms are then?

To answer you're question, I can see where people are coming from when they say that SP is very liberal in its use of imagery from past Bond films. In fact, you could probably link virtually every scene back to another entry in the series. So I can somewhat see where people are coming from when they say criticise that. Also, I think they could've done a much better job of linking SP to the rest of the Craig era. I personnaly don't think this is a big deal, because its such a small part of the film overall, but still. I definitely think this criticism is valid. And, I have to agree that the third act is the weakest by far. To me the first two are 9/10 and the third is 6/10. So overall, it's a solid 8/10 film. As far as I am concerned, that is still excellent, in spite of its faults.

Seems we are in accord for once.

Although I would probably go 9/10, 9/10, 4/10 for a 7.33/10 overall score.

It seems you are more forgiving and willing to overlook the Blofeld/retconning stuff in the third act.

I can overlook it and not let it spoil my enjoyment of a very good film (as both the retcon and the stepbrother are dealt with in about 2 lines) but I can't forgive it.

F**king up Bill Tanner is just mildly annoying but it doesn't affect anything as he's such a non entity so I can let it pass.

F**king up Blofeld is a whole different ball game I'm afraid.

I kind of feel these days that they need this on a 60 inch screen running on a loop at EON during script meetings as a reminder:

i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03253/alan-partridge-jam_3253103a.gif
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,087

Seems we are in accord for once.

Although I would probably go 9/10, 9/10, 4/10 for a 7.33/10 overall score.

It seems you are more forgiving and willing to overlook the Blofeld/retconning stuff in the third act.

I can overlook it and not let it spoil my enjoyment of a very good film (as both the retcon and the stepbrother are dealt with in about 2 lines) but I can't forgive it.

F**king up Bill Tanner is just mildly annoying but it doesn't affect anything as he's such a non entity so I can let it pass.

F**king up Blofeld is a whole different ball game I'm afraid.

I kind of feel these days that they need this on a 60 inch screen running on a loop at EON during script meetings as a reminder:

i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03253/alan-partridge-jam_3253103a.gif

Woah! If we can agree on something, then world peace is still possible. :)) :)>-
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm curious as to why they feel the need to include Tanner in the films anymore, given how rather useless he has been during the last few movies.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,087
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why they feel the need to include Tanner in the films anymore, given how rather useless he has been during the last few movies.

Oh, come on, he's part of the gang! Kinnear nails it every time.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Oh, come on, he's part of the gang! Kinnear nails it every time.

Oh dear. The shortest truce since the Christmas Day football match in the trenches.

The only time I'd like to see the phrase 'nails it' in relation to Kinnear is if he was playing Jesus and was going down the Daniel Day Lewis method acting route and actually having them driven into his hands for our viewing pleasure.

I know his character was named Charles Robinson and not Tanner, but given that they basically have the same role (spouting exposition, hanging round with M) and that as a character he's actually fairly in line with the Tanner of the books, I think this is a fair comparison: Colin Salmone was much better in the role than Kinnear, mainly because the writers actually gave him personality.

He got less screentime than Kinnear but he was given lines that conveyed a sense of actual friendship with Bond. He's genuinely worried about his mate in the TND pts, I love that little moment where, after referring to Bond as White Knight (his codename for that mission) for the whole sequence up to that point, he mutters under his breath "jesus christ James" or something like that.

Die Another Day. The exchange scene in Korea. The first thing Bond does? Goes to greet Robinson. In fact it's this that distracts him and allows the guards to sedate him. Then during Qs simulation of MI6 being attacked, he's helping Bond out. Gun drawn, taking on the bad guys with him. Something I can see Fleming's Tanner doing give. his military background. Meanwhile what did Kinnear's Tanner do when shit went down in Skyfall? Cowered behind a desk. Tanner was hiding while fucking Moneypenny was shooting at the bad guys! That pretty much shows how badly they've messed up the character.

The other thing about Robinson how he's the only character in all of MI6 that Bond is on first name terms with. He even refers to Moneypenny by her last name (this might be more playful though given their relationship). But not Charles. He's also someone Bond seems to have genuine respect for.

Basically Robinson is close to Fleming's Tanner in that he's someone I imagine Bond would go for a drink with outside of work, someone he's friends with. Someone who's stuck in an office job but is no stranger to action. Not like Kinnear's Tanner who is written as a charismaless exposition character and nothing more.

In one of the scrapped drafts of SP Tanner basically filled C's role of Blofeld's man within MI6. He was scared of being discarded with all the shaking up that was going on so sold out to Spectre and when confronted about it by Bond, he killed himself. Now that's a million miles away from Fleming's vision of the character but I think it would've been very interesting anyway. It would have also made sense. In QoS, and SF, he's so boring and forgettable and charismaless. The dull background exposition character eventually turning bad because he fears that MI6 will deem him exactly what he is (unnecessary, unneeded) would have been a brilliant twist imo, even if it was a bastardisation of Fleming's character.
    I know his character was named Charles Robinson and not Tanner, but given that they basically have the same role (spouting exposition, hanging round with M) and that as a character he's actually fairly in line with the Tanner of the books, I think this is a fair comparison: Colin Salmone was much better in the role than Kinnear, mainly because the writers actually gave him personality.

He got less screentime than Kinnear but he was given lines that conveyed a sense of actual friendship with Bond. He's genuinely worried about his mate in the TND pts, I love that little moment where, after referring to Bond as White Knight (his codename for that mission) for the whole sequence up to that point, he mutters under his breath "jesus christ James" or something like that.

Die Another Day. The exchange scene in Korea. The first thing Bond does? Goes to greet Robinson. In fact it's this that distracts him and allows the guards to sedate him. Then during Qs simulation of MI6 being attacked, he's helping Bond out. Gun drawn, taking on the bad guys with him. Something I can see Fleming's Tanner doing give. his military background. Meanwhile what did Kinnear's Tanner do when shit went down in Skyfall? Cowered behind a desk. Tanner was hiding while fucking Moneypenny was shooting at the bad guys! That pretty much shows how badly they've messed up the character.

The other thing about Robinson how he's the only character in all of MI6 that Bond is on first name terms with. He even refers to Moneypenny by her last name (this might be more playful though given their relationship). But not Charles. He's also someone Bond seems to have genuine respect for.

Basically Robinson is close to Fleming's Tanner in that he's someone I imagine Bond would go for a drink with outside of work, someone he's friends with. Someone who's stuck in an office job but is no stranger to action. Not like Kinnear's Tanner who is written as a charismaless exposition character and nothing more.

In one of the scrapped drafts of SP Tanner basically filled C's role of Blofeld's man within MI6. He was scared of being discarded with all the shaking up that was going on so sold out to Spectre and when confronted about it by Bond, he killed himself. Now that's a million miles away from Fleming's vision of the character but I think it would've been very interesting anyway. It would have also made sense. In QoS, and SF, he's so boring and forgettable and charismaless. The dull background exposition character eventually turning bad because he fears that MI6 will deem him exactly what he is (unnecessary, unneeded) would have been a brilliant twist imo, even if it was a bastardisation of Fleming's character.

Couldnt agree more with the Robinson stuff.

I'm less keen with the notion of Tanner being pushed centre stage in SP as for the plot to hinge on him would leave the audience scratching their heads as hes literally so unmemorable he could be like one of those 'spot the difference' videos they used to have in the Krypton Factor and have a moustache in one scene, a ginger afro in another and all anyone could remember would be a big grey blob in the background. You just couldnt have someone so bland for such a pivotal villain. Denbeigh isnt great but at least Andrew Scott has some screen presence.

Rory is so invisible he has been invited to CERN because they think he may be made of dark matter and holds the key to unlocking the secret of the universe.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Kitchen.
    So, after the death of Judi Dench, he was passed on a title of Evil Queen of something (Kitchen)? :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Bill_Tanner_by_Michael_Kitchen.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Murdock wrote: »
    Bill_Tanner_by_Michael_Kitchen.jpg
    Double Entendre. Kitchen! =))
    A decent entry and IMO a big improvement on SF. A top half of the table Bond film for me. There are plenty of flaws, and there things I really don't like about the direction Mendes has taken Craig's Bond, but overall it's pretty good.
    There is something really great about the way Michael Kitchen delivers his lines. He puts in a unique inflection in tone. Well worth watching in Foyle's War too.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    It's actually puzzling that SF and SP are from the same team. Then again Butterworth may have elevated the script/dialogue somewhat, maybe that's why SP is so much better than SF.
    I think SF was Mendes trial and error Bond movie. With SP he got it right. Having Waltz as one of the best Bond villains ever helped of course. The only thing Silva will be remembered for is his CGI face and Mommy was verybad.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    My god BJB006 do you keep saying infinitum hoping we'll come round to your opinion?

Even if you love SP so much to suggest Waltz was one of the best Bond villains is just beggars belief. That being said you like the Brosnan era and barring 006 there can't have been a worse run of Bond villains in the history of the series.
    Skyfall was on syfy last night & visually that film has aged well maybe because it was filmed digitally. It almolst looks better visually than SP.

Skyfall is the better film overall but Spectre is without a doubt the better "Bond" film.

They are both similar, more than you realize.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I've given a little more thought to this, having discussed Waltz and the rest on other threads over the weekend.

If I was to isolate the #1 item that turned me off SP, it would be both the performances and the characterizations. From Craig, to Waltz, to Seydoux, to Fiennes, to Scott. They just weren't compelling to me. It all seemed 'run of the mill'. Pedestrian. There was no dramatic heft to any of it. Nothing to pull one in - nothing credible or meaningful. Only Christensen really aced it and I believe that's why he was used in the trailers.

This was particularly annoying because I felt the opposite with SF. Despite that film's numerous plot holes, I related to all of the characters implicitly. One sympathized with their scenario & motivations. Even Silva. This is what made that film so captivating and engrossing for me and I suspect many others.

Given Sam Mendes is known for this particular element, as a stage director, it was doubly annoying.
    ----

Whatever one may think of the Marvel group, they tend to nail that aspect of their films, and from what I'm hearing, they've done it again with Civil War, which I shall be watching on Friday. It's especially upsetting to see 'comic book' heroes doing this sort of thing better than beloved Bond. It's an area where the audience expectations have increased as well.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @bondjames
    There is a certain coldness about Swann, Hinx, Denbigh.
    But I love Q and M and Bond, I find those the best performances for each character since the Connery era.
    Fiennes and Whishaw were absolutely wasted in SF.
    I will not comment on Waltz anymore though, my view about him should be known by now. :)
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Precisely. I felt the same way about all the others too @BondJasonBond006. This is the point. Something 'cold' & distant, which was in direct contrast to the prior film, where everyone felt more immediate and passionate. I don't know if that was intentional, given the 'spectral' title, or not, but I definitely felt it.

I just found Fiennes to be frenzied & 'angry' in SP, while in SF I found him to be a measured leader in contrast to panicky Dench M.

The only one who really seemed 'in the moment' in SP was Christensen's White imho.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 10,588
    @BondJasonBond006 I certainly wouldn't say Fiennes or Whishaw were wasted in SF. The respective actors were given better material to work with in that film. I love SP (cannot stress that enough), but its predecessor has a superior screenplay.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 4,600
    Like Sinatra, I can stay angry for years! I'm still upset. Its just a poor script. Full stop, end of story. It's nice that some like it but I am not alone, the script simply does not work and has a weird feel to it, the pacing is all over the place, the child hood stuff, the balance between humour and suspense, Denbigh, the climax, Swann , I could go on. A jigsaw with bad pieces that fit to make a worse picture.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    patb wrote: »
    Like Sinatra, I can stay angry for years! I'm still upset. Its just a poor script. Full stop, end of story. It's nice that some like it but I am not alone, the script simply does not work and has a weird feel to it, the pacing is all over the place, the child hood stuff, the balance between humour and suspense, Denbigh, the climax, Swann , I could go on. A jigsaw with bad pieces that fit to make a worse picture.

Yep. And we knew this two summers ago. Right? Mendes and EON were both unhappy with it, and so substantial revisions were ordered. I think they rushed it. The script wasn't ready yet...like grapes that were not ripe enough to be picked from the vine. But the potential was certainly there: SP has some terrific moments, for sure.
    I'm answering the original post...yes, I feel the same way.
  • zerozerozerozero The far far east
    On a different tack, slightly, has anyone addressed the question of the age at which Blofeld murdered his father? Blofeld talks about an "avalanche 20 years ago", but Blofeld looks to be in his mid/late 50s so he must have murdered his dad some years after Bond left their household. Blofeld would have thus been in his 30s. Yet the obituary image we see of Blofeld in the papers looks to be of Waltz as a late teens/very early 20s adult. In the character's own words. "most odd".
    bondjames wrote: »
    Precisely. I felt the same way about all the others too @BondJasonBond006. This is the point. Something 'cold' & distant, which was in direct contrast to the prior film, where everyone felt more immediate and passionate. I don't know if that was intentional, given the 'spectral' title, or not, but I definitely felt it.

I just found Fiennes to be frenzied & 'angry' in SP, while in SF I found him to be a measured leader in contrast to panicky Dench M.

The only one who really seemed 'in the moment' in SP was Christensen's White imho.

Whishaw was excellent in SP. The best Q since Desmond in his prime.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Getafix wrote: »

Absolutely.
    I dearly hope he stays on during the transition.

He was good and yes, was another one who was 'in the moment'. I personally so much preferred him in SF however.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Whishaw is excellent. I do think John Cleese is underrated however.

He was good and yes, was another one who was 'in the moment'. I personally so much preferred him in SF however.

Totally disagree. In SF I found he didn't quite get the tone right, and I never like it when there's too much emphasis on the IT stuff. In SP Q was much more likeable (as he should be) and they brought back a proper workshop where they make stuff. I was glad they ditched all that nonsense from SF where Q was sniffy and a bit up his own backside. The Alpine scenes with Q in SP were very good - vintage Bomd IMO.

I was very sceptical about Whishaw after SF but now feel he's one of the best things to have come out of the Craig era. Unlike Dreary Kinnear...

Kinnear was a highlight of QoS.