Are we all happy now that dust has settled? -Spectre Spoilers

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Newman probably was as bored with that ending sequence as some of us (at least I) were - and that was reflected in his dross score for that portion.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    My god BJB006 do you keep saying infinitum hoping we'll come round to your opinion?

Even if you love SP so much to suggest Waltz was one of the best Bond villains is just beggars belief. That being said you like the Brosnan era and barring 006 there can't have been a worse run of Bond villains in the history of the series.

Having said that, I still enjoyed Waltz in the role. Not the best villain ever by any stretch of the imagination but the best Blofeld by a wide margin imo. He didn't really live up to the hype but the way they built up his character was really good imo. When he first spoke at the meeting I got goosebumps. Same with the Blofeld reveal, he played that perfectly. Understated but still menacing and not underselling it. I also love the laugh he does after rigging MI6 to explode, it's like be cracks for a second and gives us a glimpse of just how insane he is. I just wish the writers had made his motivations a bit clearer.

That's a lot of the problem. Blofeld is iconic, and EON are keen to have him in their movies, but I don't think he really is one of the best Bond baddies. Goldfinger, Largo, Scaramanga, Sanchez all worked a lot better. Blofeld was best when we only saw the back of his head.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

This is all I'm going to say.

This made me nostalgic. Love it.
    For me the essence of the problems with SP are the fact that the speedchase in Rome, as pedestrian as they filmed it did cost 22 million and an action-movie as The Sweeny did offer far better action for a mere fraction of that money. For such a huge amount you should offer something way better that was shown on the screen. Which was perhaps the biggest problem with the Craig era, with Broccoli Sr you knew you would see the money back on the big screen with SF & SP I never had that feeling.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 12,837
    SaintMark wrote: »
    and an action-movie as The Sweeny did offer far better action for a mere fraction of that money

Ah I do love that film. Think the first I heard about it was the Top Gear episode they did a few months before the trailer dropped, and I was quite excited and nostalgic because of how much I enjoyed the TV show when I was younger.

You're right, it's a very underrated film imo. Brilliantly done especially considering how low the budget was. It was apparently meant to be a much bigger thing, Daniel Craig was attached, so was Orlando Bloom, but they slashed the budget. Two million pounds they had for it iirc. But I thought the low budget really worked in its favour. Wasn't the most faithful of adaptations but it had a lot of charm and warmth to it I thought. It was a fun, home grown action flick. Ray Winstone was great. Loved the Heat esque shootout in Trafalgar Square.
    vzok wrote: »
    My god BJB006 do you keep saying infinitum hoping we'll come round to your opinion?

Even if you love SP so much to suggest Waltz was one of the best Bond villains is just beggars belief. That being said you like the Brosnan era and barring 006 there can't have been a worse run of Bond villains in the history of the series.

Having said that, I still enjoyed Waltz in the role. Not the best villain ever by any stretch of the imagination but the best Blofeld by a wide margin imo. He didn't really live up to the hype but the way they built up his character was really good imo. When he first spoke at the meeting I got goosebumps. Same with the Blofeld reveal, he played that perfectly. Understated but still menacing and not underselling it. I also love the laugh he does after rigging MI6 to explode, it's like be cracks for a second and gives us a glimpse of just how insane he is. I just wish the writers had made his motivations a bit clearer.

That's a lot of the problem. Blofeld is iconic, and EON are keen to have him in their movies, but I don't think he really is one of the best Bond baddies. Goldfinger, Largo, Scaramanga, Sanchez all worked a lot better. Blofeld was best when we only saw the back of his head.

I think that's definitely true of the films but Blofeld was a great (and diverse, he developed over the trilog) villain in the original novels. That's the problem imo. Cubby and Harry, and now Barbara and MGW, have never really followed the books when it comes to Blofeld. Fleming developed him over the course of his trilogy, he was radically different almost every time (which meant that unlike in the films, he was a recurring villain without it being samey or dull, there was never a "mwahaha I'll be back" vibe about it) but still remained a menacing villain and a real threat to Bond.

In the films they came up with the iconic look for him but then that's about it. He was a very one dimensional character. Pleasance was iconic and Salvalas was menacing, but can you name a defining character trait for the Blofeld of the 60s films outside of "evil genius" (and I use the term genius lightly, maybe he wouldn't have to keep extorting NATO if he didn't blow all his money on extravagant volcano lairs).

He was the original evil genius sure but that doesn't cut it anymore, not post Austin Powers anyway. Which is why they added the brother angle I think, to make it more interesting, when really all they had to do was go back to the source material. The Blofeld of the books already had a cool interesting backstory (and was a radically different and more interesting character from the Dr Evil type of the films).

They didn't need to give him a personal history with Bond to make him an interesting character. I love the iconography of Blofeld. The scar, the cat. Keeping all of that isn't the problem, the problem is they rely on that too much and didn't really make him a compelling character outside of that. Which is all the more frustrating to me when there's one right there in the source material.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Newman probably was as bored with that ending sequence as some of us (at least I) were - and that was reflected in his dross score for that portion.

Is it really? Detonation is the second best piece on the soundtrack, behind Los Muertos Vivos Estan. And we get an admittedly fleeting but glorious glimpse of Barry in Westminster Bridge.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    SaintMark wrote: »
    and an action-movie as The Sweeny did offer far better action for a mere fraction of that money

Ah I do love that film. Think the first I heard about it was the Top Gear episode they did a few months before the trailer dropped, and I was quite excited and nostalgic because of how much I enjoyed the TV show when I was younger.

You're right, it's a very underrated film imo. Brilliantly done especially considering how low the budget was. It was apparently meant to be a much bigger thing, Daniel Craig was attached, so was Orlando Bloom, but they slashed the budget. Two million pounds they had for it iirc. But I thought the low budget really worked in its favour. Wasn't the most faithful of adaptations but it had a lot of charm and warmth to it I thought. It was a fun, home grown action flick. Ray Winstone was great. Loved the Heat esque shootout in Trafalgar Square.
    vzok wrote: »

I think that's definitely true of the films but Blofeld was a great (and diverse, he developed over the trilog) villain in the original novels. That's the problem imo. Cubby and Harry, and now Barbara and MGW, have never really followed the books when it comes to Blofeld. Fleming developed him over the course of his trilogy, he was radically different almost every time (which meant that unlike in the films, he was a recurring villain without it being samey or dull, there was never a "mwahaha I'll be back" vibe about it) but still remained a menacing villain and a real threat to Bond.

In the films they came up with the iconic look for him but then that's about it. He was a very one dimensional character. Pleasance was iconic and Salvalas was menacing, but can you name a defining character trait for the Blofeld of the 60s films outside of "evil genius" (and I use the term genius lightly, maybe he wouldn't have to keep extorting NATO if he didn't blow all his money on extravagant volcano lairs).

He was the original evil genius sure but that doesn't cut it anymore, not post Austin Powers anyway. Which is why they added the brother angle I think, to make it more interesting, when really all they had to do was go back to the source material. The Blofeld of the books already had a cool interesting backstory (and was a radically different and more interesting character from the Dr Evil type of the films).

They didn't need to give him a personal history with Bond to make him an interesting character. I love the iconography of Blofeld. The scar, the cat. Keeping all of that isn't the problem, the problem is they rely on that too much and didn't really make him a compelling character outside of that. Which is all the more frustrating to me when there's one right there in the source material.

Very well said.

The Blofeld stuff I mean. The Sweeney is a terrible film.

The basic problem that kills SP is that they couldn't wait and introduce Blofeld gradually.

SPECTRE is supposedly a bigger organisation than Quantum yet that got two films. SPECTRE goes from having never been heard of to thwarted in the space of one film.

I could've lived with Oberhauser being the villain in SP (although still think the 'author of all your pain' retcon stuff would've been clunky at best) if they simply had to have some more personal bullshit for Bond but Blofeld really should have only got one scene right at the end hinting of menace to come.

But instead they shoehorn Blofeld in from scratch (with a bollocks backstory) and have Bond vanquish him and the guy basically only has 3 scenes!!

In the 60s Blofeld already appeared in two films before Sean even came face to face with him FFS!

If Dan couldn't comity to at least two films they shouldn't even have started down the SPECTRE route until the next guy. But I get a sense that Babs was so desperate for Mendes she used Blofeld and SPECTRE as a lure to get him back on board without thinking what was best for the series going forward but as he only wanted to do one film we end up with a Blofeld clusterfuck.

The big misjudgement she made was that SF's success was entirely down to Mendes when the reality is it was a perfect storm of circumstances of which Mendes was a relatively peripheral part. I think SF would have done pretty much the same business if Campbell had taken the helm.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »

Is it really? Detonation is the second best piece on the soundtrack, behind Los Muertos Vivos Estan. And we get an admittedly fleeting but glorious glimpse of Barry in Westminster Bridge.
    To me it is. I can't even watch the London final act any more (I'm out after the torture sequence) and while a lot of that is down to the sheer idiocy of that entire section (hanging MI6 family photos, "Take care. You're a good man, James.", damsel in distress, fluke shot to down the helicopter etc. etc.), Newman's score is a big part of it too. Repetitive, loud & irritating imho. Yes, the Bond theme being teased out on the bridge is decent enough, but that's it for me.

I'm not a Newman basher. I don't mind the score for the rest of the film (particularly the slower and more suspenseful bits). It's in the high paced action dept. where I think he blows it, but then I felt the same about Arnold in that respect as well.

Time for some new blood in the scoring dept. It's the one area where I think they have not recovered their past glory once in the past 30 years and an area where the competition has improved by leaps and bounds. They used to be the benchmark for so long, so it's especially sad.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,447
    I don't think it is settled

From_the_sand.jpg
    The dust is ready to be risen...

Fresh+start.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnMbHxyxAzjCcsRUfVduF2CwB6FnWWE41R7p2-2OE7hIhxipPbEQ

video.yahoofinance.com@9472f478-2498-35e6-b154-234b31540449_FULL.jpg

11338899.jpg
    M: A storm is coming up, are you ready ?

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    At least with TWINE, the movie for the most part set out what it meant to. Both finales were rushed, but at least TWINE had something a bit original and time oriented.

The SP finale is literally that guitar bit from Moors shouting out loud while Bond is walking through a linear maze. For like 10 minutes. Then he meets
    "Blow"job
    and he forces him into yet another

DEH-DEH-DEH-DEH-DEH !!!!!!! DEH-DEH-DEH-DEH-DEH !!!!!!!

TWINE also didn't force a cringeworthy relationship, at least Richards was reduced down to a sex object for Bond.

The thing is, as someone who has written screenplays before, you can definitely feel the "bad feeling" you get when you know your script isn't good. There tends to be a lot of walking, forced metaphors, threats that don't really amount up to anything, easy conclusions and escapes (sound familiar?)--and more often than not it ends up being something you don't want it to be, and that's the worst thing that could happen.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 11,425
    SP was a step up from SF for me, but still flawed. Mendes can't do action and is not great at tension/suspense either. SP could have been a classic but falls short.

Having said all this, if someone had shown me SP in 2002 I'd have been over the moon. So my expectations are much higher now than they were after Brosnan, and thats in large part thanks to DC.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Getafix wrote: »
    SP was a step up from SF for me, but still flawed. Mendes can't do action and is not great at tension/suspense either. SP could have been a classic but falls short.

Totally agreed. Mendes fails for me when it comes to action, he just can't do it. The only action highlight that really impressed me during his tenure was Bond fighting Hinx, and even then, it wasn't overly original or unique in comparison to the few train fights we've already had in the series.
    I honestly liked the SF pretitles, Patrice Shanghai stylized fight & Home Alone finale (only after several rewatches mind you). I didn't like any of the action in SP except for Hinx.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Totally agreed. Mendes fails for me when it comes to action, he just can't do it. The only action highlight that really impressed me during his tenure was Bond fighting Hinx, and even then, it wasn't overly original or unique in comparison to the few train fights we've already had in the series.

And I'd be fairly sure that 99% of the Hinx fight was down to Gary Powell, Dan and Dave throwing ideas around between them.
    I honestly liked the SF pretitles, Patrice Shanghai stylized fight & Home Alone finale (only after several rewatches mind you). I didn't like any of the action in SP except for Hinx.

The SF PTS succeeds more on a dramatic level than action.

Everyone raves about the Shanghai Patrice fight but it's style over substance. Necros v Green 4 for example smashes it out of the park as a bout of fisticuffs.

There was no other real action in SF (a few shootouts and fights - hardly the TLD cargo net is it?) and SP's was very disappointing all round apart from the aforementioned Hinx fight.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

I think the PTS from SP was Mendes's best action sequence and obviously the Hinx fight was awesome. But yeah, most of the action doesn't hit the mark as it should.

The shootout in at M's hearing should have been exciting and gripping but it was edited in such a way it turned out kind of meh.

I quite like the assault on Skyfall though, even if it does have that 'Home Alone' feel to it!

The SF PTS succeeds more on a dramatic level than action.

Everyone raves about the Shanghai Patrice fight but it's style over substance. Necros v Green 4 for example smashes it out of the park as a bout of fisticuffs.

There was no other real action in SF (a few shootouts and fights - hardly the TLD cargo net is it?) and SP's was very disappointing all round apart from the aforementioned Hinx fight.
    Yes, you're right about this. The dramatic tension during the SF action sequences were impressive, and that's what makes me enjoy them all (including the court house encounter). The actual physical action was meh, although Bond slamming the bike into the guardrail to catch the train was very impressive, as was the crane hook and bike jump into the Grand Bazaar.
    Bond slamming the bike into the guardrail to catch the train was very impressive, as was the crane hook and bike jump into the Grand Bazaar.

Again I'd be surprised if this wasn't all Gary Powell's doing.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 11,425

I liked the train fight but I would largely attribute that to the choreography.

SP hangs together better as a movie for me than SF and overall I enjoyed it, despite a weirdly lame climax.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 40,492
    It's most certainly thanks to the choreography; that's the most brutal fight that Bond had (and still not among the likes of what we got in CR and QoS) in the entire run of Mendes'.
  • Reflectively, I find the SF climax to be more fulfilling than any other in the Craig era. CR and SP really just drop the ball.
    Reflectively, I find the SF climax to be more fulfilling than any other in the Craig era. CR and SP really just drop the ball.
    I'm inclined to agree. While I didn't like the Home Alone, A-Team, & MacGyver parallels in the theatre, I've really grown to appreciate it on home rewatches. It's beautifully filmed, scored and lit. SF and QoS have quite satisfying finales.

The very last scene in CR at Lake Como is incredible though.
    Never had a problem with CR's finale, and I love that of QoS. I had some standout issues with SF's finale until SP's came along; now, I prefer that of the former. Cutting out that entire London finale and keeping SP around a two hour running time would've been a much better idea.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Never had a problem with CR's finale, and I love that of QoS. I had some standout issues with SF's finale until SP's came along; now, I prefer that of the former. Cutting out that entire London finale and keeping SP around a two hour running time would've been a much better idea.
    With a longer Blofeld lair battle.

The London finale would have been a better pre-title sequence for Bond 25 instead, making Bond regret not killing Blofeld in the rest of the film. By the way, no Swann-song scenario.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Honestly, I fail to see the Home Alone comparisons. The two movies are too different, and so are the situations.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Walecs wrote: »
    Honestly, I fail to see the Home Alone comparisons. The two movies are too different, and so are the situations.
    Indeed. It's the general idea of setting up booby traps that draws people to make the downright lazy criticism, IMO.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Indeed. It's the general idea of setting up booby traps that draws people to make the downright lazy criticism, IMO.

It's the same sort of feeble wit that people who call QOS 'Quantum of Bourne' employ.

Yes haha we get it. Now come up with something original.
  • I just find that the CR finale, action-wise, is underwhelming considering how front-loaded CR is with intense action sequences. Doesn't live up to the high bar set by the Madagascar or Miami chases. But as a conclusion to the storyline and romantic arc it succeeds very well, which I agree is more important.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,423
    I never got the Home Alone vibes until someone in the critics department who hasn't seen much, threw that one gesture away. Lazy criticism, in my opinion. On the contrary, it was a first in a Bond film where Bond didn't have to use gadgets to subdue his opponents. He set his own traps and it reminded me of the spy shows I was watching at the time, such as Leverage, Burn Notice, Chuck, and even some of the A-Team reruns. Even Bourne, if he slows down and stops running, would set up traps like Bond did in his lodge.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    In the Pierce Brosnan film "Live Wire" also called "Hydro Toxin" in other parts of there world, the climax of that movie is what I was reminded of watching Skyfall.
    Murdock wrote: »
    In the Pierce Brosnan film "Live Wire" also called "Hydro Toxin" in other parts of there world, the climax of that movie is what I was reminded of watching Skyfall.
    Definitely! Live Wire sort of has that element.