Let's talk about Spectre's torture scene

Comments

SP felt quite Kubrickian to me on more than one occasion, actually. Especially that Rome meeting scene; very Eyes Wide Shut. And everyone was originally supposed to be in masks, which'd driven that creepiness home even further; I really wish we'd have gotten that.

Combine that with the Shining-esque establishing shots of Scotland in SF and you can see that Mendes is a big Kubrick fan.

Well that pretty much explains it then. I'm not just imagining things.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SP felt quite Kubrickian to me on more than one occasion, actually. Especially that Rome meeting scene; very Eyes Wide Shut. And everyone was originally supposed to be in masks, which'd driven that creepiness home even further; I really wish we'd have gotten that.

Combine that with the Shining-esque establishing shots of Scotland in SF and you can see that Mendes is a big Kubrick fan.

Well that pretty much explains it then. I'm not just imagining things.

In his commentary for SF, Mendes even talks about Kubrick during the Scotland sequence, calling it his "tribute" to the man, or something along those lines.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    'Kubrick' & 'Bond' do not belong in the same sentence. ;))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote: »
    @chrisisall, neither do "Kubrick" and "Batman v Superman," but I digress. ;)
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Unless you're talking about Ken Adam.
    But of course.
    :\">
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

As in "Kubrick helped with the lighting on the Liparus set"?
    Being that Mendes is a Kubrick fan I don't find SF to be very Kubrick-esque. However, mention SP and my mind jumps to Kubrick.

Touche'
    :)>-
  • Quite tense but underwhelming in how he escapes. The way he's suddenly unaffected by the drilling when he makes his escape is worse than any of the plot armour that Moore is attributed with.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Good point. I'd forgotten about that one!
    Quite tense but underwhelming in how he escapes. The way he's suddenly unaffected by the drilling when he makes his escape is worse than any of the plot armour that Moore is attributed with.

Bond's recuperative powers have always been far beyond that of we mere mortals. CR's card game is the signal example.

Quite tense but underwhelming in how he escapes. The way he's suddenly unaffected by the drilling when he makes his escape is worse than any of the plot armour that Moore is attributed with.

Bond's recuperative powers have always been far beyond that of we mere mortals. CR's card game is the signal example.

Well that's very true of course. Kingsley Amis says something similar in The James Bond Dossier (1965).
    Just doing some thinking…

But remember that Comic Relief sketch from the set of Spectre? I suspect that they didn’t give Craig eye-makeup and a tux soeley for the sketch (especially as it’s totally unrelated to the sketch). I reckon they filmed the dinner/card game scene from the script. Clearly Mendes didn’t like it and they pinched the torture scene from Colonel Sun as a result……..what do we think? I reckon it makes logical sense. Especially when you see that Whishaw is wearing his Q outfit. Clearly it was done between filming.

Comic-Relief-Red-Nose-Day-2015-James-Bond-007-Sketch.jpg

• RC7RC7
    Thanks for reminding me of that abysmal skit.
    Yes, it was truly dire stuff and about as funny as having your foot run over by a tank.
    Both feet I think !!
    edited June 2020 Posts: 17,786
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Both feet I think !!

Even better! One's shrieks of pain would drown out the whole thing!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Just when I'd managed to control the bouts of insomnia and uncontrollable screaming and you set me back to square one.

The least funny thing I've ever seen and I once watched 7 minutes of Mrs Brown's Boys so I don't say that lightly.

Rory is the only one who comes out of that with the slightest shred of dignity intact and for me to be giving him credit for anything you know it must be bad.

Although you do make an interesting point I suppose - would they really get DC to change into a black tux just for this garbage?

Then again Q is pictured in front of the train carriage Hinx gets thrown out of so I'm not sure your theory that they were just in the middle of filming the original card game/solar torture sequence has that much credence. I think most likely it was thought that, given this 'hilarious' skit was aimed at the lowest common denominator/plankton the target audience wouldn't recognise him if he wasn't wearing the 'Bond costume.'
    Original card game/solar torture sequence?

Can anyone fill me in on this at all? I didn't follow the leaks before or since Spectre.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Can anyone fill me in on this at all? I didn't follow the leaks before or since Spectre.

You can find the entire resume here (with google translate) : http://www.commander007.net/tag/le-spectre-du-script/
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Yes, it was truly dire stuff and about as funny as having your foot run over by a tank.

Since I don't watch 'comic relief' I missed this 'sketch' so I just watched it.

I wish I hadn't.

Love to know what cretin dreamed that up.
    The only guaranteed 'relief' after watching that is putting a shotgun in your mouth.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Seeing this crap makes me wonder if they were deliberately trying to sabotage this film. There's really no other explanation for unforgivable rubbish like this. I can't imagine anyone involved thought this was remotely amusing at the time.

Regarding the outfit: yes it could very well have been for some deleted scene in the film.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    That's an interesting idea. Well spotted, @Pierce2Daniel
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Wow, I haven't seen that video in so long. Did some actually find it funny? It's a serious question - I'm sure they did, but wow, that was embarrassing to watch.

You can find the entire resume here (with google translate) : http://www.commander007.net/tag/le-spectre-du-script/

Thank you. :)
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Wow, I haven't seen that video in so long. Did some actually find it funny? It's a serious question - I'm sure they did, but wow, that was embarrassing to watch.

Yep. Plenty on here at the time who defended it. Wonder where they all are now?

Needless to say, I wasn't one of 'em!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

It's fitting having that video in this thread - suppose we can consider that the real "torture sequence of SP."

Needless to say, I wasn't one of 'em!

Needless to say we're having the last laugh.