Worst sequels in cinematic history (that you love or hate)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I love the first two and I do wish that 'Revolutions' focused a little more on the action that made the first two so great instead of getting overly philosophical and Sentinel-heavy, but it is what it is and I still manage to enjoy several moments from it.
    I can definitely agree with that. I never really understood the hatred towards the second one. It's got some great action sequences in it, and the freeway sequence is right up there with the shootout towards the end of the original that has gone down as one of the iconic action sequences of the last couple of decades.
    @dalton, I also love that mansion foyer fight that precedes it, with Neo taking on the Merovingian's vampires using those awesome medieval weapons.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @dalton, I also love that mansion foyer fight that precedes it, with Neo taking on the Merovingian's vampires using those awesome medieval weapons.

That was a great one as well. Like you said, lots of great action scenes in the first two films. :)

dalton wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That was a great one as well. Like you said, lots of great action scenes in the first two films. :)

The arrival of Neo, Morpheus, and Trinity at that restaurant to meet the Merovingian, from the finale of that highway chase, all culminates in one of my favorite action scenes of all time. I'm always so impressed with how well done the highway chase is, can't imagine how much time and work went into it.
    I think, perhaps, that part of the reason the second one is looked at with disappointment is that they really set the bar pretty high with that highway chase, which arrives in about the middle of the film. It's a hard scene to top, yet there was another large section of the film to go after such a tremendous action sequence. The Matrix, on the other hand, saved its best action sequence for the end of the film, going out on a high.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @dalton, that might be part of the reason. I also think a lot of people got lost in the pretentious philosophical stuff. ;-) The Matrix brought it in small doses. The sequels went above and beyond. I think that might have upset a lot of folks. But like I said, I have this thing with Japanimation, and a lot of that is knee-deep in barely understandable existential philosophy. So I just accepted it and moved on, even if the Oracle, the Architect, the Merovingian, the Indian refugees, Seraph, ... constantly throw philosophy in my face. ;-)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    So I watched 2010
    Definitely not belonging to the category "worst sequels"

While it has nothing of the style or awesomeness of 2001, it still is a great movie.
    I'd go so far to say it is one of the best Sci-Fi movies I've seen.
    The problem of course is one compares it to 2001, I did too naturally, it's not avoidable.

Roy Scheider rocks. Unbelievable that up to a couple of weeks ago I had never seen a movie of him. I was a fan of him, his character respectively in SeaQuest.

Now I've seen 2010, Jaws, Jaws II, Blue Thunder which I all bought on Blu-ray or iTunes.

Jaws 2 also doesn't belong to the category "worst sequels".

I bought French Connection and The Seven Ups. Never seen those before. I think I'll like them.
    And The Seven Ups is the sequel to French Connection isn't it?
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @dalton, that might be part of the reason. I also think a lot of people got lost in the pretentious philosophical stuff. ;-) The Matrix brought it in small doses. The sequels went above and beyond. I think that might have upset a lot of folks. But like I said, I have this thing with Japanimation, and a lot of that is knee-deep in barely understandable existential philosophy. So I just accepted it and moved on, even if the Oracle, the Architect, the Merovingian, the Indian refugees, Seraph, ... constantly throw philosophy in my face. ;-)

I don't doubt that had a lot to do with it as well. I'm not at all against the filmmakers trying to make things complicated, it just has to be done well and fit in with what they're trying to do and not just be complicated for the sake of being so. I think they might have lost sight of that a slight bit with the third film, but what they threw at the audience in the second one feels, at least to me, like a reasonably logical extension of what was laid out in the first film.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    So I watched 2010

While it has nothing of the style or awesomeness of 2001, it still is a great movie.
    The problem of course is one compares it to 2001, I did too naturally, it's not avoidable.

Roy Scheider rocks. Unbelievable that up to a couple of weeks ago I had never seen a movie of him. I was a fan of him, his character respectively in SeaQuest.

Now I've seen 2010, Jaws, Jaws II, Blue Thunder which I all bought on Blu-ray or iTunes.

I bought French Connection and The Seven Ups. Never seen those before. I think I'll like them.

Not necessarily. French Connection II is.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I enjoyed the Matrix sequels, the second more than the third. I remember being hugely let down after the third, but still solid sequels and I honestly enjoy Reloaded just as much if nor more than the original
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited May 2016 Posts: 17,687
    I enjoyed the Matrix sequels, the second more than the third. I remember being hugely let down after the third, but still solid sequels and I honestly enjoy Reloaded just as much if nor more than the original

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I just couldn't, but I love SPECTRE so much even though a lot of peeps seem to be down on it.... it's all about what YOU bring to the party.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    chrisisall wrote: »

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I just couldn't, but I love SPECTRE so much even though a lot of peeps seem to be down on it.... it's all about what YOU bring to the party.

I love Spectre as well
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Battle For The Planet Of The Apes is an often dismissed little gem.

I think it's easily the weakest...

1. Planet of the Apes
    2. Escape from the Planet of the Apes (very good climax)

and then the rest...

3. Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
    4. Beneath the Planet of the Apes
    5. Battle for the Planet of the Apes
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    TripAces wrote: »
    So I watched 2010

Not necessarily. French Connection II is.

Well, to be fair, The Seven-Ups has the same look and feel as The French Connection, and Scheider is playing the same character in all but name. But The Seven-Ups was made in between the two French Connection films, so it's more like a spin-off or The French Connection 1.5.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I can definitely agree with that. I never really understood the hatred towards the second one. It's got some great action sequences in it, and the freeway sequence is right up there with the shootout towards the end of the original that has gone down as one of the iconic action sequences of the last couple of decades.

A couple of action scenes do not a good movie make. The Matrix was quite good but the sequels suck like an Electrolux!
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 1,386
    Gerard wrote: »
    Another one, still from the world of super-heroes : Superman I and II were big, epic movies. Superman III felt like a B movie, with all the epicness of the first two completely missing. I didn't even see Superman IV.

I got the original Superman movie on Blu-ray and it's a true classic and belongs to the very best superhero movies ever.
    Superman II while not as good still is a classic imo.

And you are right, Part III is what I consider a bad sequel, still watchable though.
    Superman IV on the other hand is neither watchable nor in any way good. I rather watch a whole season of Lois & Clark than Part IV again :))

Ha. Part IV played on tv more than any of the others when I was a tyke at a time when I demanded far less from movies so I guess it has a great deal of nostalgic value for me, but yeah it's pretty terrible. It's the type of movie I'll put on while I'm doing other things just to watch scenes like the final throwdown between Nuclear Man and Superman. There's a deleted scene with some guy doing one of the worst Marlon Brando impressions I've ever heard that's good for a laugh. It is indeed a mess, but I don't know, I guess I love watching trainwrecks sometimes (films like "Sharknado 3").
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited May 2016 Posts: 7,948

I don't doubt that had a lot to do with it as well. I'm not at all against the filmmakers trying to make things complicated, it just has to be done well and fit in with what they're trying to do and not just be complicated for the sake of being so. I think they might have lost sight of that a slight bit with the third film, but what they threw at the audience in the second one feels, at least to me, like a reasonably logical extension of what was laid out in the first film.
    The amazing thing about The Matrix was the idea behind it, executed to perfection. A 'what if' story that honed in on reality, making it intense. Knowing it to be fantasy but still having that nagging feeling that it could be real, as in reality could be utterly different from what we think of beeing reality.

The second and third completely leave this behind, going on their own philosophical expeditions which bare little relation to every day life. Just beeing 'action movies' in a universe of their own. So where The Matrix put you on the edge of your seat, bringing the fantasy close to home, the sequels just took a part of this idea and ran off with it to play in the sandbox. That's why they were such letdowns, and by part 3 the makes got so entangled in their own philosophical web they start making mistakes. Which makes that film the worst of all three.
    The thing about the Matrix is that how could they elaborate further on the first? The whole vampire, twin ghosts, ceiling walker aspect is a bit off key, considering how the first contained nothing about these sort of things. I think that's what threw a lot of us off. A few things were missed opportunities, as Neo was supposed to free everyone and shut down the Matrix for good, not just initiate a truce and everything stayed the same! That is why the ending act of Revolutions was a let down. They got too out of hand with the multiplying of Smiths and lost focus on what needed to be done, which was to end the war and free everyone. A part of me wants The Matrix Resurrection to happen to put closure on what should have been done in the third film.
    That's what happens, though, is it not? The war is ended and the people are freed, as the Oracle and the little girl hold out hope of seeing Neo again someday. Perhaps it's been way too long since I've run through the specifics of the trilogy's finale.
    Well the Architect is reluctant about the truce. However he does state that whoever wants to be freed, will be freed. Perhaps is just how it was handled. For example, the machines and Machine City still exist, instead of wiping them out in some other shape or form. The only reason why the truce happened was because Smith grew out of control for the machines to handle, not for the sole purpose of Neo to end it because that was the prophesy.
    Like I've said, it gets very, very confusing and overly philosophical at times, and I wish things were a bit better laid out in its explanation, but then again, I think it's one of those trilogies where the Wachowskis wanted to get people to think and theorize and whatnot, so perhaps that's why it isn't as clear cut as we'd like...or me, anyway. My dumb ass gets confused almost every time I watch those movies.
    For years, I've speculated whether Neo was really dead or not.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The Matrix sequels are.... yawn!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    THE MATRIX RELOADED & THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS

- I have heard the arguments, countless times.
    - I know I'm going heavily against what's in vogue, namely to unzip, whip it out and urinate all over these two films.
    - I have been mocked, picked on and nearly crucified for my beliefs, BUT:

I friggin' LOVE the sequels to the Matrix! Perhaps because I'm into Japanese cyberpunk anime and whatnot, I'm much more receptive to the nonsensical story they dug out for the sequels, I don't know. Fact is, when the Architect talks at the end of Reloaded, I'm in total awe. When Zion is invaded by armies of Sentinels and the mobile suits go ballistic against them, I experience a total rush. When Neo faces off against Smith at the end of Revolutions, I'm getting aroused. I mean, this stuff excites me. The Wachowskis clearly made this film FOR ME. So here I am, saying you may not like these two films but they're good enough for me to watch them at least once every year.

"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it."

u_files_store_7_75897.jpg

I think they're incredibly underrated films.

Dared to go out on a limb and do something different but still push the action boundaries and got crucified for it!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    GHOSTBUSTERS 2016

Tell me what you want, this movie is fun, pure fun, and funny, very funny. And it is a great homage to the original movies and the special effects are awesome.

I LOVE IT
  • dalton wrote: »

The amazing thing about The Matrix was the idea behind it, executed to perfection. A 'what if' story that honed in on reality, making it intense. Knowing it to be fantasy but still having that nagging feeling that it could be real, as in reality could be utterly different from what we think of beeing reality.

The second and third completely leave this behind, going on their own philosophical expeditions which bare little relation to every day life. Just beeing 'action movies' in a universe of their own. So where The Matrix put you on the edge of your seat, bringing the fantasy close to home, the sequels just took a part of this idea and ran off with it to play in the sandbox. That's why they were such letdowns, and by part 3 the makes got so entangled in their own philosophical web they start making mistakes. Which makes that film the worst of all three.

I think you nailed it.
    Well I don't hate it per se but I always thought Terminator 2 was a useless sequel, merely a copy of the first with a bigger budget and better fx, but none of the charm.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ???

Charm is what T2 has, that the original completely lacks.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    T2 is legendary. Firmly in my top 10 of all time. The original was an interesting enough pulp 'B' flick but the 2nd one is killer.