Worst sequels in cinematic history (that you love or hate)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Discussion on another thread made me realize, I thought 'London Has Fallen' was awful although I liked the first one a lot.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    'London Has Fallen' starts really bad with all that baby bullshit, I agree @bondjames, but once the action gets going it's just flat out to the end. That's enough for me to get my adrenaline rush from an action film.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @DaltonCraig007, it's the poor CGI that I couldn't stand. Absolutely awful, especially with the helicopter crash etc. The same thing was probably there with Olympus, but it was less noticeable to me.

I agree, it was all out action, but the tension I felt in the first one was missing somehow.

----

Another PoS - Single White Female 2. Loved the first one but the 2nd was horrid. Basic Instinct 2 was also horrendous (I know it's been mentioned already but I had to give it a shout out too).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @dalton, oddly enough, that's my favorite scene in the entire series! I loved these movies growing up - just the first four, at least - and the 'Hellraiser 3' finale always terrified me as a kid. I thought the unique, new Cenobites from the club scene (and Joey's camera friend) were scary as hell.
    My memory of the film is a bit fuzzy, but I'm assuming we're talking about the chase through the streets?

I liked that part of the film as well, but just felt like it could have made a bit more impact had they just had a bit more to work with. While what's there is OK, I remember thinking at the time that it just needed to be a slight bit bigger in scale.
    @dalton, that's the one. I was an easy-to-please horror fan as a kid, so I was plenty happy with what we received, though yes, a bit more money on the budget could've made it that much better. You can tell that the idea is there (Cenobites pouring onto the streets of a city, cops getting involved, etc.), but it's not executed in a grandiose fashion.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @dalton, that's the one. I was an easy-to-please horror fan as a kid, so I was plenty happy with what we received, though yes, a bit more money on the budget could've made it that much better. You can tell that the idea is there (Cenobites pouring onto the streets of a city, cops getting involved, etc.), but it's not executed in a grandiose fashion.

Perhaps to say it falls flat was too strong a way to go about critiquing it, as I do think that what's there is good. The idea certainly is, but given that it's the climactic moment for what was, I'm assuming, only meant at that point to be a trilogy, (and for a film subtitled Hell on Earth), I just always felt like it needed a little something extra. Not too much more, as a hoarde of CGI cenobites would have been the wrong way to go, but just something a bit more to heighten what was already there.

I enjoyed Hellraiser 3 because of Terry Farrell. It wasn't bad at all.
    @dalton, I can most certainly agree with that, and I think it all falls upon the budget like you mention. It could've been a bit more grand or heightened with more money.

I spent a good $25 or so and a month of waiting to get it on blu-ray through Australia, since it's the only Region A version of the movie I could find. It's not sold anywhere in the States, though I suppose it's not terribly shocking, given that there are probably 20 other people that would buy the movie as I did!

@bondjames, I love her in it, as well.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited May 2016 Posts: 17,687
    I haven't seen Jaws 3D
    Then your statement would not be considered valid.

*you been SPOCKED!*
    I've seen it, but not in 3D. It was ok apart from the bits that were supposed to be 3D.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I've seen it, but not in 3D. It was ok apart from the bits that were supposed to be 3D.
    Hahahaha, it made Robocop 3 seem like Hamlet.
    Damn that must be bad then. Maybe I'll have to give it a watch someday just for the lulz!

But does Jaws 3D have ROBOT NINJAS?

q8atm6Y.gif

The RoboCop remake was better than part 3.
    Damn that must be bad then. Maybe I'll have to give it a watch someday just for the lulz!

But does Jaws 3D have ROBOT NINJAS?

q8atm6Y.gif
    I loved that part!
    Leah Thomson is in Jaws 3D which makes it worthwhile, I watch this randomly just out of bewilderment. Jaws The Revenge makes Jaws 3D look good in comparison.
    Shark still looks fake.
    Remember wearing those 3D glasses back in the 80s and thinking is that it when the Shark blew up and freeze framed.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Hot tub time machine 2

I just watched that this past Friday. I can definitely see why John Cusack didn't come back for it. A few chuckles, but not that good at all.
    It is certainly up there. Ghostbusters 3 may be even worse. It has a good shot at becoming the worst film ever, besides Battlefield Earth.

You haven't seen Hangover 3 then.

H3 was pointless. I loved the first one and was on the fence about the second.
    I thought the first Hangover was ok but nothing amazing.

The second one was just a repeat of the first but even more vulgar.

Haven't even seen the third.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Hangover 2 is my favorite of the trilogy because it's set in Asia and not in the States.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Just posted my experience of seeing JAWS in the Last Movie I've Seen thread.

So...what do you cinephiles think, should I NOT watch Jaws 2 or is it still worth getting it? I know it can't be as brilliant as the original but I don't want to have Spielberg's vision ruined.
    I know I have to keep away from Jaws 3 and 4.
    Just posted my experience of seeing JAWS in the Last Movie I've Seen thread.

So...what do you cinephiles think, should I NOT watch Jaws 2 or is it still worth getting it? I know it can't be as brilliant as the original but I don't want to have Spielberg's vision ruined.

I haven't seen any of the sequels in a very long time, but it can't hurt to give 'em a go and see. If anything, you know that you love 'Jaws,' so you always have that to fall back to if you don't care for the sequels.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Jaws 4 is one of the most stupid films I have ever seen, and the effects are laughable.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Anyone who has seen Jaws 4 will enjoy this:

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Saw the Exorcist in a double bill with The Exorcist II once. After realising I had hardly let my breath out watching the first film I then sat through the second with my jaw open for a totally different reason.
    One of the worst films I had ever seen, and certainly the worst sequel.
    Beyond the Poseidon Adventure
  • Just posted my experience of seeing JAWS in the Last Movie I've Seen thread.

You should definately watch JAWS 2 (its not a patch on Spielberg's classic) but its quite a good film. It captures the look and feel of the original a lot more than the terrible 3 and 4. Plus - John Williams score for JAWS 2 is stunning. Some even say its better than the original but I won't go that far. Jaws 2 has a lot of great moments but despite having Roy Schieder its sorely missing both Shaw and Dreyfuss.

Only watch Jaws 3 for the WTF moments and to see how far Universal ruined the JAWS franchise in only 8 years! JAWS 4 is a waste of celluloid. But watch it only if your curious how worse things got after JAWS 3.

JAWS 2 is a masterpiece in comparison to 3 & 4.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Saw the Exorcist in a double bill with The Exorcist II once. After realising I had hardly let my breath out watching the first film I then sat through the second with my jaw open for a totally different reason.
    One of the worst films I had ever seen, and certainly the worst sequel.

Exorcist II is off the wall John Boorman who has made some brilliant films like Excalibur and Deliverance, was not on this planet when making Exorcist II. Exorcist II is definitely in Zardoz territory its a completely insane film, Richard Burton appears to be in a completely different film to the rest of the cast.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I really liked Exorcist 2.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I really liked Exorcist 2.

It's a terrible sequel, but as a zany nightmarish experience it's all right. Feels like an Italian horror film alla Lucio Fulci. In that sense, it's quite enjoyable.