Worst sequels in cinematic history (that you love or hate)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Just posted my experience of seeing JAWS in the Last Movie I've Seen thread.

So...what do you cinephiles think, should I NOT watch Jaws 2 or is it still worth getting it? I know it can't be as brilliant as the original but I don't want to have Spielberg's vision ruined.
    I know I have to keep away from Jaws 3 and 4.

You should definately watch JAWS 2 (its not a patch on Spielberg's classic) but its quite a good film. It captures the look and feel of the original a lot more than the terrible 3 and 4. Plus - John Williams score for JAWS 2 is stunning. Some even say its better than the original but I won't go that far. Jaws 2 has a lot of great moments but despite having Roy Schieder its sorely missing both Shaw and Dreyfuss.

Only watch Jaws 3 for the WTF moments and to see how far Universal ruined the JAWS franchise in only 8 years! JAWS 4 is a waste of celluloid. But watch it only if your curious how worse things got after JAWS 3.

JAWS 2 is a masterpiece in comparison to 3 & 4.
    Totally agree here. Jaws 2 is worth a look just for Williams & Snyder. The direction by Jeannot Szwarc is quite serviceable, but the climax is a little... well.... I guess you have to see it for yourself. OR, you could just go straight to nuts with Deep Blue Sea. =))
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    After seeing JAWS 2 I can say it does not belong in this thread.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Zoolander 2
    The first one was funny. The sequel was just a payday for all concerned. Big let down.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Horrible Bosses 2

I liked the first one. Second was awful
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    Horrible Bosses 2

I feel the exact same way.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Horrible Bosses 2

I feel the exact same way.

Not me. As much as I think the first was better, I still love the second one. I actually just picked up the unrated bluray cut not too long ago.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 40,471
    I was only excited for the second one because of Christoph Waltz, but he seemed pretty uninterested in the movie, which didn't help. Jokes fell pretty flat throughout for me, only recall laughing at a couple of little moments. However, I wouldn't say it's one of the worst sequels.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I was only excited for the second one because of Christoph Waltz, but he seemed pretty uninterested in the movie, which didn't help.

Are you referring to Horrible Bosses 2 here or that ropey sequel to Skyfall?

I was only excited for the second one because of Christoph Waltz, but he seemed pretty uninterested in the movie, which didn't help.

Are you referring to Horrible Bosses 2 here or that ropey sequel to Skyfall?

Regarding my comment about Waltz: both, now that you mention it!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    The Best:
    1. Godfather Part II
    2. The Color of Money (sequel to the The Hustler, with Newman and Cruise)
    3. The Empire Strikes Back

Really Good:
    1. Die Hard 2. Just as good as the first one.
    2. Rocky 2. The waking up after childbirth line "Win" is so cheesy...but the rest of this film is worthwhile.
    3. Airport '75. is it a sequel? I'll say so. Is it that good? No, it's THAT BAD, which makes it a pure joy to watch. Helen Reddy as a singing nun? Linda Blair as a dying girl needing a kidney transplant? Susan Clark with erect nipples the whole time? Normal Fell and Jerry Stiller as drunks? A daring mid-air pilot transplant? And Karen Black actually looking smoking hot as a stewardess trying to fly a 747? (BTW: Karen Black and DC starred together in an episode of The Hunger.) Count me in every time.
    4. Quantum of Solace. I'll include it here: It is a pure sequel to CR, no doubt.
    5. Aliens
    6. More American Graffitti (Such a solid effort, here, despite the first film giving the stroylines away)

Decent:
    1. Back to the Future 2
    2. Naked Gun 2 1/2
    3. Indiana Jones and the temple of Doom
    4. Jaws 2
    5. Predator 2
    6. Spider-man 2 (Maguire/Dunst)
    7. Superman II (1981)
    8. Return of the Jedi (disappointing and corny)
    9. Beneath the... / Return of... / Battle of the Planet of the Apes

Eh..Not So Good:
    1. Bad News Bears in Breaking Training
    2. Back to the Future 3
    3. Another 48 Hours
    4. Major League 2
    5. Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
    I'm sure I am forgetting several more that are worthy of this category.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Battle For The Planet Of The Apes is an often dismissed little gem.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited May 2016 Posts: 6,786
    deleted, wrong thread
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Watched London Has Fallen (2016) on the weekend. Gerard Butler, Aaron Eckhart and Morgan Freeman all return from the original cast. This was one of those films it was so bad, it's good. Certainly wins the prize for best line I've heard in a movie lately.
    "I'm thirsty as fu*k!"

Even has a minor role for Colin Salmon aka Robinson (TND, TWINE and DAD).
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Horrible Bosses 2

Did we really need a Horrible Bosses 2 ?

Way too many of these needless sequels only made because of the originals success.

Bad Neighbours 2.....WHY???!!!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Benny wrote: »
    Watched London Has Fallen (2016) on the weekend. Gerard Butler, Aaron Eckhart and Morgan Freeman all return from the original cast. This was one of those films it was so bad, it's good. Certainly wins the prize for best line I've heard in a movie lately.
    "I'm thirsty as fu*k!"

With special effects that make DAD's parasurfing utterly realistic...

Indeed it's so bad it's actually a lot of fun.
    Benny wrote: »
    "I'm thirsty as fu*k!"

With special effects that make DAD's parasurfing utterly realistic...

Indeed it's so bad it's actually a lot of fun.

London Has Fallen
    is the kind of "trash" that I absolutely love. Star power and a hilariously over the top story.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    London Has Fallen
    is the kind of "trash"...
    For me, it was only trash. This was one of the worst films I've seen this year. I expected a lot more because I really enjoyed the first one. The CGI during the chase with the helicopters just killed my interest in the film. It was more like what you see in straight to video 'shark' movies. Awful
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I thought the first was awful. This was even worse?
    I thought the first was awful. This was even worse?
    Horrid, imho. Definitely a rental, when you can't find anything else to see.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I got a huge kick out of 'London Has Fallen' in theaters about a month ago. Big adrenaline rush, a badass Gerard Butler and a very high body count. Not among the best action films ever made, but I found it really enjoyable and entertaining.
    Die Hard 3 was a pretty good sequel to the original Die Hard with a good story and some brilliant action-scenes and a good Samual Jackson.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Die Hard 3 was a pretty good sequel to the original Die Hard with a good story and some brilliant action-scenes and a good Samual Jackson.
    A superb film. Agreed. They don't make too many action films like that any more, sadly.
    Now I'm eager to check out the so-bad-it's-good 'London Has Fallen.' The first one was okay.
    I'd call both Olympus and London so-called guilty pleasures :)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I know I'm definitely the minority here, but I watched Indiana Jones KOTC and I really enjoy it. I always have, even since I saw it in theatres. It's just a lot of fun for me, I actually rank it higher than TOD which I had never cared for that much.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I know I'm definitely the minority here, but I watched Indiana Jones KOTC and I really enjoy it. I always have, even since I saw it in theatres. It's just a lot of fun for me, I actually rank it higher than TOD which I had never cared for that much.

It's certainly a fun watch but it's a pretty naff film considering the talent involved.

I'm not crazy about any of the Indy sequels.

Nothing comes close to the original Raiders. A fantasy masterpiece. And in my opinion one of the few films I consider to be absolutely perfect.
    The heavy use of CGI bothers me, and it is certainly different than the first three, aliens aside. I've always preferred Last Crusade out of all of them.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    THE MATRIX RELOADED & THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS

- I have heard the arguments, countless times.
    - I know I'm going heavily against what's in vogue, namely to unzip, whip it out and urinate all over these two films.
    - I have been mocked, picked on and nearly crucified for my beliefs, BUT:

I friggin' LOVE the sequels to the Matrix! Perhaps because I'm into Japanese cyberpunk anime and whatnot, I'm much more receptive to the nonsensical story they dug out for the sequels, I don't know. Fact is, when the Architect talks at the end of Reloaded, I'm in total awe. When Zion is invaded by armies of Sentinels and the mobile suits go ballistic against them, I experience a total rush. When Neo faces off against Smith at the end of Revolutions, I'm getting aroused. I mean, this stuff excites me. The Wachowskis clearly made this film FOR ME. So here I am, saying you may not like these two films but they're good enough for me to watch them at least once every year.

"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it."

u_files_store_7_75897.jpg
    @DarthDimi, right there with you. I think that trilogy is my second favorite of all time, behind LOTR.
    @DarthDimi, right there with you. I think that trilogy is my second favorite of all time, behind LOTR.

While I won't go quite that far, I must say that I agree on The Matrix trilogy for the most part. I wasn't one of those that was a huge, die-hard fan of the original film, although I did quite like it as a new wrinkle on the action and sci-fi genres and respected it for the chances that it took. Went to see the second film just on a whim while sitting at home bored one night with nothing else to do and did the same with the third film while away my first semester of college.

Long story short, I enjoyed all three of them. Could have done with a few less Agent Smiths along the way, as I thought multiplying him to the extreme numbers they ultimately did only served to cheapen what was a very good villain in the first film, but that somewhat minor complaint aside, I thought that the trilogy was pretty good. The second and third films are definitely not deserving of all of the vitriol that are dumped on them, that much is for sure. They're not perfect films by any stretch of the imagination, but at the same time they're not the outright disasters they're often portrayed as being.