Worst sequels in cinematic history (that you love or hate)

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Ghostbusters 2

Can't decide if it wants to be a remake or a sequel, fails at both.

Let s hope Ghostbusters 3 knocks it out of the park!

"THE POWER OF PATTY COMPELLS YOU!!"

That Ghostbusters 3? I'm already trying to block the fact that that film exists out of my head. They won't be getting my money.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Dear people.
    Ghostbusters 3 will be MASSIVE.

Melissa McCarthy guarantees insane BO results, no matter what.
    If she had played Lois Lane, BvS would have crossed 2 billion.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have never looked forward to a movie more than Ghostbusters 3. That trailer is insane. I have already preordered it, and think I will see this at least ten times in the cinema.
    Dear people.
    Ghostbusters 3 will be MASSIVE.

Melissa McCarthy guarantees insane BO results, no matter what.
    If she had played Lois Lane, BvS would have crossed 2 billion.

It will have a huge opening weekend, but I predict it will drop like a stone in week 2 and 3, probably worse than BvS. I mean this is Sony were talking about. They're experts at taking beloved franchises and setting them on fire. This film will get lost in the great whirlwind of the crowded summer season.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,020
    BvS

The laughing stock of this movie year.
    And considering MoS wasn't received well that's quite an achievment.

I thought MoS was utter dogshit so gave BvS a wide berth but given you think it's so awful I'm beginning to think it might actually be half decent.

One film I haven't seen here which certainly deserves a spot is DAD.

Not sure it counts as although its part of an ongoing series it's not really a sequel to anything. Still it's very poor so deserves a place on this list surely?

If DAD counts then DAF would as well. And AVTAK.
    And LTK.
    Not sure we should go there.

The S in Bull v Shit is worse than in MoS, by far.
    Batfleck is brilliant though!
    And WW.
    Overall it's the worst one since Batman & Robin.

Ok I'll wait for it on an illegal download then as charisma free Cavill does nothing for me. How did this guy get so close to being Bond FFS?

Perhaps we should only say Bond films are eligible if they are somehow connected to a previous one then so that they can be classed as sequels?

So that would mean:
    FRWL
    TB
    YOLT
    OHMSS
    DAF
    TMWTGG
    MR
    FYEO
    QOS
    SP

Of these I would say only DAF, TMWTGG and in some people's eyes maybe MR could be up for discussion but as the thread title is 'worst sequels in history' then there are probably no Bond films eligible as even DAF and TMWTGG are way better than dreck like Indy 4, Superman 4, Jaws 4 and Episode I (does a prequel count as a sequel? Or is the Phantom Menace the first film now and Episodes IV, V and VI the sequels?)

Illegal download is the way to go, and by the way, in Switzerland it is not illegal to download movies or tv shows. I do it often with tv shows that are not available on DVD/Blu.
    You must watch one sequence of BvS. I call it the James Bond mini movie within :))
    It starts with James.. I mean Bruce arriving in his Aston Martin in a Tux at Luthor's party. It has everything Bond really, Bond girl, spy stuff etc. Affleck could pull it off, it's almost frightening!
    Maybe BB liked that scenes as well? :))

Episode I is a prequel so not counting imo.
    Prometheus wouldn't count as well for instance.
    TFA is a sequel from Ep VI I'd say so it definitely belongs to the category worst sequels ever.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Basket Case 2 & 3 - the first was a great low budget schlock horror, but the sequels were just effluent.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Jaws 3. Great idea, poorly executed and Directed.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Exorcist II: The Heretic is indeed one of the worst sequels in cinematic history.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Scream 3 and Final destination 2 were both so utterly nonsense that there's no good reason to keep on watching.
    Scream 3 and Final destination 2 were both so utterly nonsense that there's no good reason to keep on watching.

The scariest thing about Scream 3 was Courtney Cox's haircut.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

The scariest thing about Scream 3 was Courtney Cox's haircut.

Too funny. It looked like the beginning of a Joe Dirt mullet.
    Scream 4 on the other hand was great imho
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Bad sequels (Highlander 2, Batman & Robin, etc) that are still good for something (like a laugh or a good scene here or there) can't by definition be the worst IMHO- the worst ones have nothing at all to offer. Think: a movie you couldn't ever possibly imagine sitting through ever again without being paid for it.

Matrix: Revulsions.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,690
    If there is one sequel I never want to sit through again, it's 'Hellraiser: Revelations'. I'd gladly watch Die Hard 5 every day for a decade than rewatch that abomination even once.
    I count myself lucky not to have caught that one then. ;)
    I sure hear Die Hard 5 mentioned a lot- I haven't seen it yet but it sounds like it makes 4 look like Shakespeare!

Worst sequels for me:
    RoboCop 3
    Highlander 2 (and 3 while we're at it)
    Superman IV
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre 4
    The Ring 2
    The Crow 3 & 4 (I've got a soft spot for 2)

RoboCop 3
    Oh come on, it's not great, but it's not one of THE WORST ever... would you rather watch Jaws 3D?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @Master_Dahark 'Die Hard 5' is basically someone giving a machine gun to Bruce Willis and Jai Courtney and letting them kill everything that moves for 90 minutes. It may be fun for 10 minutes (I do admit I love that scene in the beginning when Willis grabs that huge gun and goes apeshit with it in the CIA safe house or what-the-hell it was), but not for a whole movie.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Oh come on, it's not great, but it's not one of THE WORST ever... would you rather watch Jaws 3D?
    "Don't count on it chum!"
    I haven't seen Jaws 3D, but RoboCop 3 IS the worst!! Even as a little kid siting in the theatre I thought to myself 'this is the stupidest bullshit ever!'
    It is certainly up there. Ghostbusters 3 may be even worse. It has a good shot at becoming the worst film ever, besides Battlefield Earth.
    It is certainly up there. Ghostbusters 3 may be even worse. It has a good shot at becoming the worst film ever, besides Battlefield Earth.

You haven't seen Hangover 3 then.
    Hot tub time machine 2
    Beverly Hills Cop 3

No. After the first I had no interest in seeing any more of this moronic drivel.
    Beverly Hills Cop 3

Those are all bad.

How about Home Alone 3? Seems like no. 4 is even worse.
    Blues Brothers 2000
    Oh how could I forget Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3!!
    Blues Brothers 2000

Somehow I liked that one. But I hadn't seen the original back then.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,086

No. After the first I had no interest in seeing any more of this moronic drivel.
    Beverly Hills Cop 3

Those are all bad.

How about Home Alone 3? Seems like no. 4 is even worse.

The first BHC is bad? I like it. It has that eighties charm to it. Very funny too. Eddie Murphy unleashed.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The first 'Beverly Hills Cop' is great, the second one isn't too bad, and the third was awful.

Speaking of 'Hellraiser,' a lot of people have issues with the third one, but that's my favorite in the series. Hell, I also love 'Bloodline,' but after that, the movies turn too awful, even for me.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Speaking of 'Hellraiser,' a lot of people have issues with the third one, but that's my favorite in the series. Hell, I also love 'Bloodline,' but after that, the movies turn too awful, even for me.

I thought the third one was pretty good, but fell a bit flat at the end. I'm not usually one to endorse higher budgets for films, but the ending of that film could have benefited from more money to put up on the screen. Haven't seen Bloodline through whatever entry they're on now. Sounds like it's probably not worth the effort.