Mendes for Bond25? he may not be done yet, would you want him?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    As I've said before, you all know how I feel about SF and SP, and in the end, I'd like to see a new director on board for the next film.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,116
    What change in topic title? Has Mendes said something? I hope not. I'd rather have Glen back and have a pleasant nap in between the PTS and the finale.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I'll try to be as to the point as I can be in answer to the thread title question.

NO. I don't want him back.
    I enjoyed SPECTRE but think that EON needs to make a change with the next Bond film. There are just too many avoidable problems in SPECTRE to stay the current course. They also need to cut ties with all of the writers they've been employing in recent years and start over completely fresh on that front as well.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited December 2015 Posts: 9,117
    The thing is what poor sod will want to pick up the pieces Mendes has left him?

Babs will simply not let Craig walk away (Mendes or not) so whoever directs is stuck with having yo somehow spring Blofeld from prison in a way that isn't as convoluted as the Silva escape and isn't something we haven't seen hundreds of times before.

On top of this we are also stuck with Madeline who has to be killed off but again we've seen that so many times as well so how can you do it originally?

I really hope they can paint themselves out of this corner originally and inventively and come up with something spectacular to end the Craig era but without a complete overhaul of the writing team they really don't have the talent at their disposal to make me confident they can pull it off.
    Sorry, but i do not want to see a third Mendes Bond film.

We need a director who can put the joy back into watching a Bond film.
  • RC7RC7
    The thing is what poor sod will want to pick up the pieces Mendes has left him?

Babs will simply not let Craig walk away (Mendes or not) so whoever directs is stuck with having yo somehow spring Blofeld from prison in a way that isn't as convoluted as the Silva escape and isn't something we haven't seen hundreds of times before.

On top of this we are also stuck with Madeline who has to be killed off but again we've seen that so many times as well so how can you do it originally?

I really hope they can paint themselves out of this corner originally and inventively and come up with something spectacular to end the Craig era but without a complete overhaul of the writing team they really don't have the talent at their disposal.

Madeleine could walk and Blofeld could remain incarcerated. Not saying it will happen, but it's feasible.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    edited December 2015 Posts: 403
    Madeleine doesn't have to be in the film at all. An easy out is to start completely fresh and have Craig Bond on a totally one off mission. A political assassination or plot is used by SPECTRE to their advantage to spring Blofeld by the end of the film. Or just no mention of SPECTRE. Who knows.

And for the record, Mendes needs to go. Bond thanks him for what he's done but it's time for someone new.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    I really hope they can paint themselves out of this corner originally and inventively and come up with something spectacular to end the Craig era but without a complete overhaul of the writing team they really don't have the talent at their disposal to make me confident they can pull it off.

For SPECTRE sequel to work, they indeed have to come up with something impressive and original, and I just don't see it happening.

I'd rather they do a QoS on this whole thing. I.e. try to behave like it doesn't exist & wipe it under the rug like a piece of dirt until Craig leaves the role. Then come back with a reimagined Blofeld (just a criminal this time please with no family connection) when a new actor takes on the role.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Madeleine doesn't have to be in the film at all. An easy out is to start completely fresh and have Craig Bond on a totally one off mission. A political assassination or plot is used by SPECTRE to their advantage to spring Blofeld by the end of the film. Or just no mention of SPECTRE. Who knows.

So after tying themselves in horrible knots of implausibility and illogicality to try and link everything together from the previous 3 films, now that they have a cliffhanger they are just going to abandon all that and not mention SPECTRE and Blofeld?

Thats about as likely as Jose winning manager of the season.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883

So after tying themselves in horrible knots of implausibility and illogicality to try and link everything together from the previous 3 films, now that they have a cliffhanger they are just going to abandon all that and not mention SPECTRE and Blofeld?

Thats about as likely as Jose winning manager of the season.
    Well they dumped Quantum after QoS due to audience's mixed reactions and even though it looked like they were setting that organisation up for something in B23. So they've a history of detours.

I mentioned somewhere (maybe here) that Madeline could just be a Trench style character in the next one, either at the start, or at the end in an epilogue. If they have a great standalone story for B25 (big IF with these guys it seems), they can easily wash this under the rug. Witness MI4-GP sort of burying the wife angle until the end. It worked because the film was strong.
  • RC7RC7

For SPECTRE sequel to work, they indeed have to come up with something impressive and original, and I just don't see it happening.

Woe is me.
  • I think it's important to appreciate that Mendes has stated that he think he won't return. The key word being he 'thinks'. Remember he said the same thing after SF.

It really depends on which interview you go off. In some he seems open to the idea, in others it looks like he has set his mind against it.

However, Mendes recently departed the Broadway adaption of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He cited scheduling conflicts with a project he is working on for his production company Neal Street as the reason for his departure. So whatever Mendes is working on now is clearly not the next Bond film:

http://variety.com/2015/legit/news/sam-mendes-departing-charlie-and-the-chocolate-factory-1201657508/

It should also be remembered that in the Sony leaks there were a number of emails from execs wanting to get Mendes on board a number of films, however, the director had stated that after Spectre his aim was to make a TV series.

I'd presume this would be his next project. Maybe another Bond in 2018 at the earliest?
    RC7 wrote: »

Woe is me.

I'm sorry, English is not my native language so I'm not sure I understand this correctly. This sounds like you are ironically saying you don't give a damn about my opinion, right? :)

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    He had his shot. Time for a new take IMO.
    If Mendes likes doing the Bonds then I've like to see him continue. Get as many films as good old John Glen did.
  • RC7RC7

Woe is me.

I'm sorry, English is not my native language so I'm not sure I understand this correctly. This sounds like you are ironically saying you don't give a damn about my opinion, right? :)

No, not that I don't give a damn, more that I'm bored of the doom-mongering.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    If Mendes likes doing the Bonds then I've like to see him continue. Get as many films as good old John Glen did.

SF and SP aren't flawless but I'm just not seeing in the films what makes some people on here so rather childishly riled by him.

Woe is me.

Okay, I understand. That wasn't my intention, I just don't think SPECTRE 2 is a good idea, that's all.

You are probably right, though. My "doom prediction" may sound irritating to those who would like the Blofeld story to continue, so I'll cut down on it.
  • RC7RC7

Woe is me.

Okay, I understand. That wasn't my intention, I just don't think SPECTRE 2 is a good idea, that's all.

You are probably right, though. My "doom prediction" may sound irritating to those who would like the Blofeld story to continue, so I'll cut down on it.

I don't think we'll get SP 2, in the same way we didn't get SF 2. I would say, to those who didn't enjoy SP, don't worry. With each release we have those who love and those who hate. There's always hope that the next film delivers.

Here here!

I genuinely regret coming back here this evening. Just the same bunch of sour pusses even further agonising about the dire state of 'THEIR' Bond franchise.
    Blofeld switches bodies with Madelene, kisses Bond then fakes his own death. Hinx attends the fungeral with a neckbrace on, then Blofeld busts out the coffin shoots everyone and escapes via helicopter rope. Adele. Yes of course I want Mendes back, finish what you started Garden of death it's so obvious.
    Blofeld looks to the camera and says: "You only live twice, all the time in the world is not enough"
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited December 2015 Posts: 1,756
    no.gif
    no.gif
    no.gif
    no.gif
    no.gif
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 252
    Madeleine needs to come back. But not to kill, don't want another revenge Bond, i think the perfect ending for the Craig-Series would be the same ending as OHMSS without killing Bonds Wife.

But we need new writers, no Purvis & Wade, no John Logan, bring Christopher Nolan on board, together with his brother as Writer
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited December 2015 Posts: 1,727
    Time to sever all thematic & story links with the Mendes films and start anew.
    I want a director who will add quality to the basics of a Bond film (script, tight plot, well executed and plot-driven action) - not over complicate the project with lots of added baggage thinking all these extra trinkets now suddenly give the Bond universe some kind of heightened gravitas.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Madeleine needs to come back. But not to kill, don't want another revenge Bond, i think the perfect ending for the Craig-Series would be the same ending as OHMSS without killing Bonds Wife.

But we need new writers, no Purvis & Wade, no John Logan, bring Christopher Nolan on board, together with his brother as Writer

I agree, it'd be much more interesting if the movie played around the constant threat of her murder, rather than having her killed in the PTS.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That's one of the big questions for me: will they go standalone (highly, highly unlikely), and since they probably won't, can they come up with something creative and original enough that involves Blofeld's escape and some form of wrap-up for Madeleine? We know she won't be around forever, so it'll have to either be that they kill her off, she gets sent away for her own protection, or they simply avoid ever bringing her up again (also unlikely).

If they want to keep it unique, they could always bring her back and have her play the main and only Bond girl throughout.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2015 Posts: 15,690
    The problem with Blofeld escaping from prison is I think 'Fast and Furious 8' will do the same thing with Statham's character. But Bond 25 will be out 1.5 years after that so perhaps it'll be forgotten in the minds of the general audience.