Mendes for Bond25? he may not be done yet, would you want him?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2015 Posts: 8,087
    bondjames wrote: »
    Barbara Broccoli Admits She's In Denial Over The Next James Bond Actor: 'It's Daniel Craig Forever, As Far As I'm Concerned'

This sounds like wishful thinking rather than something strategic. She'll have to get over him sometime.

Yes, but no time soon. If EON want it and Daniel wants it, they could keep going for another 2 I think. Don't forget that all this talk of quitting comes strictly from the press, and their deliberate misrepresentation of Daniels quotes. The slashing wrists comment fit nicely into their ' who will play Bond next' narrative. They deliberately left out the context in which it was said to bulster the 'black Bond' click bait articles.

IMO, the public at large is more than happy for Craig to continue playing Bond as long as he is happy to.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Barbara Broccoli Admits She's In Denial Over The Next James Bond Actor: 'It's Daniel Craig Forever, As Far As I'm Concerned'

This sounds like wishful thinking rather than something strategic. She'll have to get over him sometime.

Yes, but no time soon. If EON want it and Daniel wants it, they could keep going for another 2 I think. Don't forget that all this talk of quitting comes strictly from the press, and their deliberate misrepresentation of Daniels quotes. The slashing wrists comment fit nicely into their ' who will play Bond next' narrative. They deliberately left out the context in which it was said to bulster the 'black Bond' click bait articles.

IMO, the public at large is more than happy for Craig to continue playing Bond as long as he is happy to.

This is the key point. Some here want him. Some here want him gone. EON want him. I think the new studio may actually be indifferent (if they have someone else in mind who they can run for longer due to age). His big proponent at Sony was Pascal and she's gone. I don't know about MGM's desires (they did not want Dalton and had a say in him leaving).

Ultimately it will be his decision. I just hope he doesn't fixate again on Mendes. He should make his decision independent of Mendes. Sam Mendes is not integral to James Bond.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    She is fixated on Craig. He keeps delivering at the box office she will keep giving him a chunk of the pie. Unlike any Bond actors before him I think Daniel is firmly in that inner family circle of trust. The first Bond actor with producer credits!. Dan is playing it very cool to the media but Barbara will know already the terms to him returning and she's pretty good at keeping him sweet.

It all depends only on one thing: the rate of success of SP.
    If it doesn't make a billion and with the disasterous ratings and reviews, BB will not be allowed to continue this path.
    In the end the profit is what counts, sadly.

This is the key point. Some here want him. Some here want him gone. EON want him. I think the new studio may actually be indifferent (if they have someone else in mind who they can run for longer due to age). His big proponent at Sony was Pascal and she's gone. I don't know about MGM's desires (they did not want Dalton and had a say in him leaving).

Ultimately it will be his decision. I just hope he doesn't fixate again on Mendes. He should make his decision independent of Mendes. Sam Mendes is not integral to James Bond.

Yes, but he is integral to THIS James Bond. They can't finish this story without him. If Mendes leaves, best to just recast and start from scratch with a new approach ie standalone films again.

The more I think about it, the more this scenario seems like the most likely, especially with Bond moving neighbourhood, as it were. I don't think a new studio would choose to take on the burden/baggage of the Craig era when they can just start over.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    She is fixated on Craig. He keeps delivering at the box office she will keep giving him a chunk of the pie. Unlike any Bond actors before him I think Daniel is firmly in that inner family circle of trust. The first Bond actor with producer credits!. Dan is playing it very cool to the media but Barbara will know already the terms to him returning and she's pretty good at keeping him sweet.

If it doesn't make a billion and with the disasterous ratings and reviews, BB will not be allowed to continue this path.

The press reviews are more positive than negative?
    Martin campbell should return
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    suavejmf wrote: »

The press reviews are more positive than negative?

The good ones outweigh the bad ones.
    But it's the not so small number of bad reviews that stand out and don't forget that QOS is considered a clunker in this era and SP has now dropped to that level.
    I'm not saying that's justified, I'm completely puzzled by this!
  • Get rid and hire someone more interested in making a classic bond film which makes sense and less interested in making something akin to fan fiction. Anyone who has seen the second series of Sherlock may have a similar feeling. Why didn't they stick with Campbell after the laudable CR?
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited November 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Guys, if you look at the thrust of the reviews re SP, its all about the script,
    a great script with any competent director is better than a poor script with an Oscar winning director IMHO, there are a few directors who could do a decent job but where is the script writer who is going to sit in front of a PC and produce a classic Bond?
    What the hell is a supposed Bond fan doing when he say's he hope's SP underperforms at the US box office just to get rid of Mendes. Madness. Movies today are in a perilous state and when you've invested upwards of $300 in a movie studios want a good return. Any underperforming could seriously affect any future Bond production. Do you really want Bond to disappear for another six years. Mendes and co will be back because thas what BB and Craig both want. It will be Craig's condition for doing B25.
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    What the hell is a supposed Bond fan doing when he say's he hope's SP underperforms at the US box office just to get rid of Mendes. Madness. Movies today are in a perilous state and when you've invested upwards of $300 in a movie studios want a good return. Any underperforming could seriously affect any future Bond production. Do you really want Bond to disappear for another six years. Mendes and co will be back because thas what BB and Craig both want. It will be Craig's condition for doing B25.

Like the supporter of a football team hoping his team get beat so they can sack the manager. Mental comment!
  • MyNameIsMyBondRnMyNameIsMyBondRn WhereYouLeastExpectMeToBe
    patb wrote: »
    a great script with any competent director is better than a poor script with an Oscar winning director IMHO, there are a few directors who could do a decent job but where is the script writer who is going to sit in front of a PC and produce a classic Bond?
    I do not know anything about writing a script, but I am a fast learner, and not even a PC
    for whatever worth wherever that is anything worth could beat me up(scotty)..; a classy bond with a stiff upper lip, pc in this case means stopped smoking but keeping the smoking while rolling the dices into the right corners of the globe, being a local wherever he goes tongue in cheek, speeding up his records-starting to like glen-Miller that is..!
    I do not know anything about writing a script, but I am a fast learner, and not even a PC
    for whatever worth wherever that is anything worth could beat me up(scotty)..; a classy bond with a stiff upper lip, pc in this case means stopped smoking but keeping the smoking while rolling the dices into the right corners of the globe, being a local wherever he goes tongue in cheek, speeding up his records-starting to like glen-Miller that is..!

Indeed.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,444
    Comingsoon...

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2F8b%2F72%2F5367f5854a258517f1e2b84b95c4%2Fpr-00026.jpg

Deankins proof with Jarhead and from what i have seen of footage from Sicario he can make QOS cinematopgraphy. Also with Dennis Gassner/production designer in mind. I think Denis Villeneuve is QOS style directer, of course it is risk movie even more dificult then QOS mabey. After that interview about this movie, 2 weaks later the directer confirm he like to direct a Bond movie. Denis Villeneuve is more France Canada directer, whyle Roger Spottiswoode from Tomorrow Never Dies whas English/Canada directer. But Marc Forster whas also not English and work with a lot of English actors/make English movies.

I prefer there filming on film, so that be a bit of problem Deankins prefer digital. But mabey that problem can fixed if there not use to much CGI. Mabey also there should some test screenings on big screen before final cut.

In interview with them Deanskins admit something in making Sicario i think he mabey also should have in mind making Skyfall but did not. I hope he keep his own words in mind if he return to Bond.

http://variety.com/2015/film/features/deakins-villeneuve-embrace-harsh-cruel-nature-in-sicario-1201593474/
    “You have to have some kind of light, even if it is very minimal,” Deakins says. “It was almost ridiculous how little light I was using, but I didn’t want to go too far and make the image look too good, because, naturalistically, it wouldn’t work.”

Problem with digital or with BD or HD TV it sometimes can look too good.

I expect like Spectre cinematopgraphy more because there filming more on film and real locations. But biggest problem is that i am afraid i not going to like story.

poster1.jpgSKYFALL_DOM_TEASER_PRODUCERS_1SHEET-550x814.jpg

sicario.preview.jpgSkyfallOpeningScene.jpg

Sicario R-rated / 16+ for violence in meaning of action/blood/drugs and alcohol abuse. Whyle i think Bond 25 also should be rated R/16+ but because of violence of fair and drugs and alcohol abuse.

So Peter Weir or Denis Villeneuve for Bond 25 with on this moment i prefer earlier Van Hoytema then Deankins return. Warner need MGM to make the hobbit and now MGM need Warner to make Bond. But if MGM said Bond 25 in 2017, Warner mabey don't problem of it (See 1,5 and 2 years time difrence between some of Potter movies), but mabey whant something in return. Also a big part of last two movies already be Warner style wit Fienes and a lot of Potter crew members. If i must choose for 2 years wait and getting Nolan/Hans Zimmer or 3 years wait and get Sam Mendes/Thomas Newman i choose for this last option. if Warner demend something and stick with Mendes, hope it be Alexander Desplat too as composer.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    We know one of the reasons Mendes came back was because he felt possessive of the characters, and I’d imagine he will feel the same over Oberhauser and Swann (they are actually his characters after all).

? What? - Oberhauser is a Fleming character not Mendes'.
    We know one of the reasons Mendes came back was because he felt possessive of the characters, and I’d imagine he will feel the same over Oberhauser and Swann (they are actually his characters after all).

My earlier comment was in reference to the way they have been interpreted on screen by Mendes. How they have been realized. The reviews on these two, for the most part, have not been glowing. Difficult to say more without spoiling it.

Wrong, Fleming created the father Hannes Oberhauser, but Franz is a new invention. I don't believe their is any reference to Franz in the Fleming novels.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

Wrong, Fleming created the father Hannes Oberhauser, but Franz is a new invention. I don't believe their is any reference to Franz in the Fleming novels.

Well, yes, but the character name Oberhauser, and that he had a connection with Bond, is Fleming, and so Mendes (though I'm sure he's not claiming such) or the script writers didn't 'invent' the character just evolved it really.
  • RC7RC7
    but where is the script writer who is going to sit in front of a PC and produce a classic Bond?

At your service.
    After SP ( which I thought was great ) I would be cool with Mendes returning a third time. But what the productions really need more than anything is some new writing talent. May I suggest Mark Gatiss. An excellent writer with an inate understanding of the Bond movies as anyone who has seen the BBC four show Premium Bond will know.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If he can deliver a third time, bring him in.
    RC7 wrote: »
    but where is the script writer who is going to sit in front of a PC and produce a classic Bond?

At your service.

Anyone but P&W would be fine with me...
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,043
    I'm up for him returning, both SF and SP are different films, they inhabit the same world but the shifts are not jarring, it seems a natural progression. The Bond in SP was emerging in SF, it's subtle but it's there.

The thing about Mendes unlike Gilbert & Glen he's unlikely as proved by SP to make the same film twice. If they can flesh out something different and he's excited then I think he'll be back, I don't think if he doesn't that Craig is definitely leaving though.

I think if they could find another director that would excite Craig he'd sign on but I think DC would definitely come back if Sam was on board, whether that is for just one more or not.

Seriously if a journeyman hack like John Glen can direct 5 Bond's in a row? Then Mendes should be a no brainer for a third unless of course like quite few you've had enough of him. I get the idea some would like him to go just so Newman isn't scoring the next one.

I don't hate P&W like some, I know again the script isn't Chinatown ( it's never likely to be) but it seems with Butterworth they saved it from being something much worse that was originally intended if Logan had had is way with it.

Thought Gattis is someone I wouldn't be disappointed with, they've tried to get rid of P&W the last time. I think this was more down to they needed a quick fix and for all their faults they know their Bond, but some fresh talent wouldn't be a bad idea.

It would be nice if they could do a down to earth, stripped back, dark (without being overly emotional) thriller to end it off, like FRWL, or the earlier parts of TLD, or GE.

I also really miss that light playfulness on the female side which characterized FRWL & TB in particular, but also TSWLM/MR. Perhaps GE got closest in the recent past. Not too serious in terms of relationships, but a spunky light cheekiness without going OTT.

It's very unlikely given the focus on box office these days, but I'd really like that personally.
  • RC7RC7
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I'm up for him returning, both SF and SP are different films, they inhabit the same world but the shifts are not jarring, it seems a natural progression. The Bond in SP was emerging in SF, it's subtle but it's there.

I naively thought SP would be SF2 and it absolutely isn't, and as you say the leap isn't jarring, it's different but also feels like a natural progression. I'm now intrigued to see what he can do with a third. For all its humour SP has a haunted quality too it, I'd love the next to be even more bizarre.
    Does anyone know (or have heard) if David Arnold would be willing to return to the series? I thought the only reason he didn't do SF was because Mendes didn't want him, but perhaps he feels he has nothing more to offer the series.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,043
    RC7 wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »

I naively thought SP would be SF2 and it absolutely isn't, and as you say the leap isn't jarring, it's different but also feels like a natural progression. I'm now intrigued to see what he can do with a third. For all its humour SP has a haunted quality too it, I'd love the next to be even more bizarre.

Couldn't have put it better myself, It's not like they've made a Moore films here, they are still exploring things that feel natural in the Craig world it's just he's the Bond many of us have been waiting for without the baggage. I don't think the Craig era is ever going to be free of the dark side of the character but for Bond to be as ruthless and carefree there is always going to have to be that quality,

Bizarre is definitely something they can build on, like you say it does have a haunted quality to it. I can't quite get those who said Waltz was phoning it in. Yes you could see a touch of Hans Landa, especially in the bit where he laughs and say's "I've really put you through it haven't I" in the London climax. Though I think they've been very fortunate to secure him in that role.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    I don't mind Mendes returning but just like the producers I sometimes question their decisions. Everybody I believe dropped the ball during script development. I usually gripe about Logan but he did provide the initial script.

Why the producers and Mendes returned to P&W I will never know or understand.

Mendes as director is not just an artist but a manager as well. He has to direct his vision. No excuse for the lack of plot or character development from a director as Mendes talent. The excuse or reason is they ran out if time and had to proceed ...and yes I believe they made a great fun film but not the film they could had made or should have made.

I'm ok with Mendes again but not the writers ...but to be honest if B25 is taken a predictable route story wise then I'm not sure if I want Mendes back.

Having said all that I really do like Mendes even though I haven't seen SP.

• StrelikStrelik Spectre Island
    edited November 2015 Posts: 108
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Why the producers and Mendes returned to P&W I will never know or understand.
    I often wonder the same thing.

It's odd how many casual fans blame director Sam Mendes or even actor Daniel Craig for the lackluster screenwriting talents of P&W. The same thing happened after Skyfall.

Frankly, whoever directs the next Bond film is of secondary importance. The primary issue should be finding better screenwriters or, at least, finding anyone other than P&W (or Logan) to hammer out the next film's script.

My ultimate Bond 25 nightmare is this headline: "Purvis & Wade hired by Eon to write or re-write Bond 25." Eon could hire Quentin Tarantino, Steven Spielberg or Chris Nolan to direct the next film, but the screenwriting by P&W still would be "not quite right" and drag the film down.