Mendes for Bond25? he may not be done yet, would you want him?

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bond really needs another CR type film where there's a departure from all the familiar bells and whistles that Mendes feels so compelled to beat audiences over the head with.

Reduce the involvement of the MI6 team, Make Mallory give Bond his mission, keep the foreign locations to 2 and use them well. Let's see a great story involving that African War lord that Logan came up with and let's get some hard hitting and innovative action. No more db5, no more wasting talented and beautiful leading ladies and no more half arsed love scenes. Bring in a new director and new writers and a bloody new composer!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If they want Blofeld back for B25, which I'm sure they do, then there'll be no option other than having him released or escape from prison.

@doubleoego, I'd enjoy seeing that. I loved SP, but I wouldn't mind seeing something completely detached from the last few installments.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Realistically I don't see Blofeld going to prison. No real solid evidence, C's dead, Blofeld destroyed his base and The 00 Section was canned. Sure the Mi6 team could testify to Blofeld's crimes but ultimately It's their words against his. It would make for a great thriller having Blofeld get off free with the MI6 team having a tarnished reputation only to need Bond to save their reputation and Blofeld using his freedom and shadowy resources to try getting his revenge on Bond and Madeline.
    But SP ends with Blofeld being placed under arrest, so he'll either escape en route, escape from prison, or somehow will be released. There's really no other options in terms of a Blofeld storyline.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Blofeld owns the court.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    The escape scenario (complete with murder or dismemberment of a loved one or friend) has a painful similarity to Sanchez in LTK, so if they decide to go down this route (which I hope they don't) they'll have to be careful to avoid comparisons.

My preference, as stated before, is to dump this storyline, go for a standalone sendoff for Craig, and come back with a properly imagined Blofeld without family connections for the new actor at some point in the future.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    But SP ends with Blofeld being placed under arrest, so he'll either escape en route, escape from prison, or somehow will be released. There's really no other options in terms of a Blofeld storyline.

He was placed under arrest sure, but that doesn't automatically mean prison time.
    M can make some accusations towards Blofeld but without strong evidence to back it, he's free to walk and Blofeld could easily spin it and claim M was trying to abuse his power to have Blofeld killed because of the 00 Section being shut down. Sure Nine eyes might have failed but Blofeld can use his expertise to have M and the others discredited and given tarnished reputations.
    So aside from the three aforementioned options that I listed, does anyone else have some ideas for how to work Blofeld back into Bond's world in a realistic, plausible way?
    He is working inside the prison and still controlling his empire.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    So aside from the three aforementioned options that I listed, does anyone else have some ideas for how to work Blofeld back into Bond's world in a realistic, plausible way?

Maybe they can do the opposite of OHMSS - this time, no one recognizes Blofeld despite the events of SP. So Waltz is free to do anything he likes until Bond and MI6 remembers that this fella was responsible for all the mayhem in SP.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Risico007 wrote: »
    He is working inside the prison and still controlling his empire.
    That's what I was about to say. They could have a henchman / woman as the main villain for B25, with the strings being pulled by Blofeld (revealed in the epilogue) from prison. That way Waltz has his cameo, or doesn't, depending on how they want to play it.

When he is next revealed in B26, it's with a new actor.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Bond really needs another CR type film where there's a departure from all the familiar bells and whistles that Mendes feels so compelled to beat audiences over the head with.

Reduce the involvement of the MI6 team, Make Mallory give Bond his mission, keep the foreign locations to 2 and use them well. Let's see a great story involving that African War lord that Logan came up with and let's get some hard hitting and innovative action. No more db5, no more wasting talented and beautiful leading ladies and no more half arsed love scenes. Bring in a new director and new writers and a bloody new composer!

This! I like SF and SP but am now longing for a CR type of movie.

Doubt it will happen though.
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »

This! I like SF and SP but am now longing for a CR type of movie.

Doubt it will happen though.
    I would obviously like this as well. The more I think about it though, the more I think it will indeed happen, but only once a new actor is in place. I don't think EON will go back to basics until someone new is in the role, because they tend to always do this after recasting.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,116
    B25 saddled with SP's cliffhangers is such an albertross. I think it's safe to say that SP is generally conceived as a misfire tarnishing the reboot. I'm sure some like myself just want B25 over and done with.

I mean it's hard now to even enjoy the previous Craig entries knowing they are tied to SP.
  • RC7RC7
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    B25 saddled with SP's cliffhangers is such an albertross. I think it's safe to say that SP is generally conceived as a misfire tarnishing the reboot. I'm sure some like myself just want B25 over and done with.

I mean it's hard now to even enjoy the previous Craig entries knowing they are tied to SP.

Maybe it's because I've just had a kid, but I can't subscribe to this negative hysteria. I think some of you need to get a bit of perspective.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Madeleine doesn't have to be in the film at all. An easy out is to start completely fresh and have Craig Bond on a totally one off mission. A political assassination or plot is used by SPECTRE to their advantage to spring Blofeld by the end of the film. Or just no mention of SPECTRE. Who knows.

So after tying themselves in horrible knots of implausibility and illogicality to try and link everything together from the previous 3 films, now that they have a cliffhanger they are just going to abandon all that and not mention SPECTRE and Blofeld?

Thats about as likely as Jose winning manager of the season.

I'm warming to the idea of Madeleine not appearing but I think it's not likely since they made her so important in the end. (Then again, no one seemed to ask what happened to the likes of Kara Milovy and Tatiana Romanova by the next film.) Onscreen she's likely to die or be revealed as a sleeper Spectre agent. Blofeld, however, is begging for a follow-up.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 252
    echo wrote: »
    Onscreen she's likely to die or be revealed as a sleeper Spectre agent.

That would be a disaster, makes no sense after SP.
    My Idea: Blofeld espace in the PTS, after that she changed her name (Tracy), Bond goes on Mission, hunting Blofeld and destroyed Spectre. And in the End of the movie he is marrieng Tracy, that would be the best ending for the Craig Films
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I've already stated that I think Bond 25 should move in a different direction but if they want to continue the Blofeld arc and whatnot, as many of you have rightfully pointed out there are things that will come off as retread of earlier films but thinking about it, that's not really the problem. If you look at some of the best viewings on TV today and the best recieved films of recent years, including the new star wars film they offer nothing new as such and we've seen it all before. The magic they offer is how they tell these stories, which is done in a refreshing, dynamic and comprehensive way that really explores the why, what, when and how very competently. This is where so many other movies are failing.

Let's say Blofeld has people working for him on the inside in which ever prison he's being sent to or has people that are part of his transport detail; it's nothing new, we've seen this a gazillion times before but to keep audiences interested and invested the film makers have to make it worth the while of audiences to be interested. The execution of conveying these scenes needs to be done in a way and a style that the Bond films havn't employed before.

I think EoN are lacking a clear and consistent action plan in moving forward and it's no surprise that their biggest creative risk which was also the biggest departure from the safe, conventional way of doing things also happens to be one of the series' all time best and one of the best films ever made in CR.

I'm of the opinion that EoN are to a degree mismanaging the heritage and goodwill of the Bond brand. The Bond name isn't enough and where they really abused the power of the brand name during the Brosnan era, they're making similar mistakes again with the Craig era. This is a rebooted era for crying out loud so why Mendes is adamant with reliving the past so extensively is beyond me. Mission Impossible is flourishing because with every outing they take calculated risks in bringing the sort of spectacle and entertainment it does so well. The fast and furious movies have evolved considerably and audiences have largely responded favourably to it. Bond needs to evolve and his evolution doesn't even require drastic changes. What we need are creative minds writing and directing these movies who can tell great stories in a captivating and thrilling way, bringing both style and substance to keep audiences invested, engaged and entertained. I refuse to believe that these are tall orders as other movies and many TV shows are achieving and understanding these film making principles. EoN don't need to wait until recasting their lead actor to maje the needed changes. We need creative talent with a vision that can carry on the Bond legacy for the next 50 years.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,116
    RC7 wrote: »

Maybe it's because I've just had a kid, but I can't subscribe to this negative hysteria. I think some of you need to get a bit of perspective.

My perspective is fine. It's mine. I'll warm up to SP again when on blu ray.

Besides it's not hysteria... it's disappointment in people who should have done better. It's disappointment in the owners of the films willing to ignore Fleming and recreate Blofeld ...and that's after their history of saying when in doubt go back to Fleming.

I don't trust them anymore.
    Waltz said the script would have to me good fro him to come back for another film.

Its going to go one of three ways:

Craig, Mendes & Waltz returning. Madeline isnt required.
    4-6 year gap with reboot & new actor
    A standalone film with Craig & the villian being a member of Spectre.

I enjoyed his work but 3 in a row is too much in my opinion. Time for some new blood.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    RC7 wrote: »

Yes, I think it's because of this. Clouds the mind, I found :D
    I enjoyed his work but 3 in a row is too much in my opinion. Time for some new blood.

John Glen did 5 in a row ;-)

The problem with Blofeld escaping from prison is I think 'Fast and Furious 8' will do the same thing with Statham's character. But Bond 25 will be out 1.5 years after that so perhaps it'll be forgotten in the minds of the general audience.

Maybe he should get a government pardon, or will that be too on the nose, i.e. too much like what was going to happen in OHMSS.
    With the Blofeld scenario for Bond 25. They could go the DAF route and the Blofeld that was arrested at the end of SP was a fake Blofeld and the real one is still out there.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,296
    Blofeld goes to prison then he goes to the bathroom fakes his own death then as his coffin is being lowered into the ground a big black helicopter with a skyhook flys by and steals the coffin, Blofeld opens the coffin door and gives M the finger as he is taken away to his private layer in the Swiss mountain and volvano of botanicals and shatterhands and death collectors. One thing for sure, Mendes Will Return
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Question, does giving Dan a strong final hurrah make it even more difficult for the next man to follow, and subsequently for EON to sell their new Bond to the audience?

History has shown an actors reign become lighter, funnier, sillier to the point the last of the films is as far detracted from where it began, which makes it easier to reboot with a more serious grittier film as it always goes down well with an audience, only exceptions Lazenby/Dalton but only because his tenure was shorter than planned.

Look at mosts top 5 - Usually grittier stories early in a tenure cement Bond with the audience.
    CR =- 1st film from a new Bond
    OHMSS - 1st film from a new Bond
    GE - 1st film from a new Bond
    TLD- 1st film from a new Bond
    FRWL - 2nd film 1st Bond.
    LALD - 1st film from a new Bond
    Question, does giving Dan a strong final hurrah make it even more difficult for the next man to follow, and subsequently for EON to sell their new Bond to the audience?

It depends.

I always compare DCs run as Bond as the Dark Knight series of the Bond franchise.

The Dark Knight trilogy was a separate series from the other Batman movies. I feel that Craig's run as Bond should be a separate series to the Bond franchise and then when Craig is done the new Bond actor picks up in the first Bond timeline where DAD ended.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    and then when Craig is done the new Bond actor picks up in the first Bond timeline where DAD ended.

Bad idea. Where do you go from there?
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    and then when Craig is done the new Bond actor picks up in the first Bond timeline where DAD ended.

Bad idea. Where do you go from there?

Back to the basic traditional Bond films. Bond gets an assignment, bond beats the villain, Bond gets the girl. Repeat