Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Some moaning old f-ers on this site. How about judging the film rather than the plethora of misrepresented journalistic gubbins?

I almost feel like a lot of people are obsessing over bad marketing, bad theme songs, and bad comments made by DC instead of honing in on the fact that a brand new James Bond film is merely weeks away.

Yes to what both of you said. The amount of whining, complaining, worrying and all sorts of negativity around here is pretty amazing. It's not that everyone needs to love everything and it's not that this should be a land of rainbows and unicorns, but geez...

Amen to that.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,119
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm not a big social media user.

However, when I see a link on the 'front page of yahoo' saying the current James Bond wants to slit his wrists rather than make another film, it can't be good marketing for EON and Sony, especially since Bond is reaching a far greater audience globally these days, and also young fans.

It's rather stupid of him, no matter how he feels about it. I wonder now whether EON intentionally muzzled him at the SP press release in December because they knew he may have accidentally said something silly then.

Even if he's having fun with it, I'm sure this wasn't helpful......and he's co-producer too.

Oh well..

Still @bondjames, THE HOLY MONTH HAS ARRIVED! A MONTH THAT ONLY HAPPENS ONCE EVERY THREE YEARS! An to prepare the countdown properly, I will add with every new post a nice piece of Bond music :-D! Today, a beautiful cover of "We Have All The Time In The World", the title song for "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". Composed and arranged by John Barry, lyrics by Hal David and sang by Rumer:

17 DAYS and counting until the premiere of "SPECTRE" in The United Kingdom & Ireland !
    28 DAYS and counting until the premiere of "SPECTRE" in The United States !

20 DAYS and counting until the premiere of "SPECTRE" in The Netherlands !
    21 DAYS and counting until the premiere of "SPECTRE" in Norway, Sweden, Finland !
    24 DAYS and counting until the premiere of "SPECTRE" in Mexico !
    26 DAYS and counting until the premiere of "SPECTRE" in Belgium !
    27 DAYS and counting until the premiere of "SPECTRE" in Germany, Brazil, Canada, Switzerland (DE/IT-speaking) !
    28 DAYS and counting until the premiere of "SPECTRE" in Spain !
    33 DAYS and counting until the premiere of "SPECTRE" in France, Switzerland (FR-speaking) !
    34 DAYS and counting until the premiere of "SPECTRE" in Australia, South-Korea!
    43 DAYS and counting until the premiere of "SPECTRE" in India!
    56 DAYS and counting until the premiere of "SPECTRE" in Japan, China !
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks @Gustav_Graves. That song is refreshing and it's really nice to hear a cover of a classic.

Please just don't play anything Sam Smith or WOTW and I'll definitely be able to retain my enthusiasm before movie night.....if you play Sam I may have to 'slit my wrists'.

I'm still excited for SP, but I am going to go on record as saying I personally don't feel that anything they have done to date on marketing, press talk, song or trailers has had the same positive effect on me as that first teaser for SF (which really blew my socks off) or Adele's song (and I don't even like Adele or the song all that much but it was so refreshing after AWTD).

I think my expectations were way too high after SF (since I liked everything about the way they promoted that film and even though it's not my favourite Bond film, I really do enjoy it...)

SP has some big shoes to fill...
    Don't worry @BondJames. I mean...your worries do not cancel the entire film or move the premiere date to November 2016. Because in the end we all have to suffer: BOND IS BACK IN ONLY THREE WEEKS TIME :-D!!

By the way, I have already forgotten about today's 'bad' news. Thanks in part to @RC7's great reasoning and pragmatism.
    Yes, let's stay upbeat......and hope that DC doesn't feel the need to do any more 'impromptu' marketing prior to the movie's release.

They can let him off the leash once the film has made $1bn but they should keep him on a tight one until then.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,661
    I don't wish to be too offensive but I feel I have to say this... (get it out my system!)

His language, the constant use of the f word, the "only for the money" mercenary remark - sheesh, what a tosser he sounds. Really comes over in a bad way. To think the most enduring film franchise has this guy representing it. Incredible. What a lousy spokesperson he is for the franchise Cubby Broccoli spent a lifetime working on.

The sooner he goes the better. I've lost all respect for him. SPECTRE - his last film? I sincerely hope so!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    People take Daniel a little too serious in his interviews.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,554
    dandan wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Poor DC...this is why he dislikes the press, and who can blame him? Everything he said was twisted around.

Then don't say stupid stuff
    ;)

This.
    It is hardly a difficult concept is it.
    Don't say stupid stuff.

Is it the stuff he said that is stupid? Or stupid people who don't understand hyperbole? Probably the same stupid people who think The Onion is a real newspaper.
    Murdock wrote: »

That's true. He should know that though.....that this would happen....after all 'he's been playing the game long enough'.

DC's humour is very much like his Bond in SF (with Q and with that psych evaluation fella).....deeply sarcastic and 'cutting' but additionally with a few blue collar 'f' bombs thrown in for good measure.

I think he should finish off every smart remark he makes with a 'just kidding' and then folks will get it. He probably assumes too much about the global media being able to interpret every nuance of his humour or maybe he just doesn't care about them.....in which case, as I said before, he should be leashed.

That's true. He should know that though.....that this would happen....after all 'he's been playing the game long enough'.

DC's humour is very much like his Bond in SF (with Q and with that psych evaluation fella).....deeply sarcastic and cutting but additionally with a few blue collar 'f' bombs thrown in for good measure.

I think he should finish off every remark he makes with a 'just kidding' and then folks will get it. I think he assumes too much about the global media being able to interpret every nuance of his humour or maybe he just doesn't care about them.....in which case, as I said before, he should be leashed.

But then the reporter would simply leave out the "Just kidding" part. And for all we know: he already did. The context and tone of DC's comments were left behind in order for headlines to be made.

DC's humour is very much like his Bond in SF (with Q and with that psych evaluation fella).....deeply sarcastic and cutting but additionally with a few blue collar 'f' bombs thrown in for good measure.

I think he should finish off every remark he makes with a 'just kidding' and then folks will get it. I think he assumes too much about the global media being able to interpret every nuance of his humour or maybe he just doesn't care about them.....in which case, as I said before, he should be leashed.

But then the reporter would simply leave out the "Just kidding" part. And for all we know: he already did. The context and tone of DC's comments were left behind in order for headlines to be made.

Fair enough. That's true. Can't win I guess.
  • Murdock wrote: »

The problem with that is, when do you take him seriously?

Not when he is doing movie-promotion-interviews.

You could take him seriously, when he does an off-interview while he's not promoting a new product.

Depends on what he says and how he says it.

In his heartfelt interviews like in the CR and EON documentaries.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Well since everyone has been so negative about the negativety then I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

Funny, it was alright to bash and worry about that stupid song and that the film is yellow, but no so much about whiney millionaire with a bummed knee.

Oh well doesn't matter I'm tired of griping and fighting too.

Ok ok ok ....bring on this film before we start WW III. :D
    Here's one potty mouth DC may like.

• edited October 2015 Posts: 92
    dandan wrote: »
    Poor DC...this is why he dislikes the press, and who can blame him? Everything he said was twisted around.

Then don't say stupid stuff
    ;)

This.
    It is hardly a difficult concept is it.
    Don't say stupid stuff.

Is it the stuff he said that is stupid?

Yes.

I can't personally imagine how what he says like that would affect box office - I can't think I would choose to go or not go to a movie because of interviews by the actor.

This will probably just affect what lots of people probably think of him, and all in a negative way. Perhaps including the film-makers, who surely can't take any positive from it....and possible a whole barrel full of negative.

Just really disappointing. Keeping mouth shut would be the smart thing to do.
    If he is serious about quitting the franchise - and I don't blame him after four films - then isn't it time to be searching for a new leading man?

Depends on what he says and how he says it.

Pretty much, like with people in general.

Humor is difficult in that it's not universal, and something that may be humorous to someone may not be to someone else at all. The more context available there is, the more obvious it usually is how people mean things - were they joking perhaps, what were the circumstances and the timing, what else was discussed, how did they seem to be feeling, and so on. When an interview is written down, some editing always happens, but a good interviewer will try to present the truth of what the interviewee is saying - which is more than just words - so they always try and give plenty of additional info.

A few words or sentences out of a context can make anyone look bad one way or another. Famous people do get judged like that all the time, but it's still unfair. I suppose that most people rather read little soundbites than a proper interview. How many people here have read the short quotes some people are now upset over? Everyone I presume. How many even here bothered to read the long and rather excellent Esquire interview for instance? Was anyone upset about that, did Craig seem like he's ungrateful or doesn't respect the franchise, the character, the role, what it has given him, etc.? No. But there's no controversy and so no discussion to be had about the nice stuff, I suppose. The nice stuff gets forgotten, while the controversial stuff - even if meant in jest, or misquoted, or taken out of context - that will be what gets attention.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 3,333
    My personal take on Craig-gate is it's just him letting off a bit of steam after a grueling shoot. It appears that all these interviews come from roughly the same time period (July?) when the press had access to him and he was, no doubt, a physically and mentally spent force. I also note that the media have sat on these interviews for the past few months, knowing that they can generate more attention closer to the film's release date with his offhand comments. Embargoed, I highly doubt it? Yes, Craig can be quite brusque in real life, that's the nature of his personality. It's also why I think he makes a great Bond.

So is he done with Bond? Maybe yes, for now. Fully rested and recharged, and having seen the complete movie on the big screen, my guess is he'll be persuaded to do another.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Funny, it was alright to bash and worry about that stupid song and that the film is yellow, but no so much about whiney millionaire with a bummed knee.

Spot-on!

It's Saint Craig, the saviour of the franchise.
    Some have difficulty having their hero criticised, it's always someone elses fault, never the Saint's.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    DC makes 4 Bond films in 10 years
    DR makes 8 Potter films in 10 years

Just goes to show
  • RC7RC7

Just goes to show

Goes to show what? You're like a Pound Shop Riddler at times.
    Plus all the Harry Potter movies use most of the same sets film to film. Makes production a lot more quicker too.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I don't wish to be too offensive but I feel I have to say this... (get it out my system!)

His language, the constant use of the f word, the "only for the money" mercenary remark - sheesh, what a tosser he sounds. Really comes over in a bad way. To think the most enduring film franchise has this guy representing it. Incredible. What a lousy spokesperson he is for the franchise Cubby Broccoli spent a lifetime working on.

The sooner he goes the better. I've lost all respect for him. SPECTRE - his last film? I sincerely hope so!

I am sure the feeling would be mutual. Trial by media. You don't know what was said, how it was said and in what context yet your ready to throw him to the lions. I find this attitude to be sad, uneducated and gullable. Said before why has this interview back in July now just been published a few days after DC says he will keep going as long as he physically can. Smells of select editing, a magazine drawing attention to itself and a journo who would rather have different Bond takeover. But you keep on lambasting the guy without facts and hearing his side. If the same magazine told you Elvis was alive, grass is purple and that the world ended Wednesday you would probably believe all that too.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 8,136
    RC7 wrote: »

Just goes to show

Goes to show what? You're like a Pound Shop Riddler at times.

Haha, that's a new one! Never been called that before!

Oh well, nice to know I have some sort of impact around here, even if I'm not always the most succinct, shall we say!

P.S. I have been a distant admirer of your opinions lately, especially regarding WOTW and Craig suicide discussions. We don't always agree (cough CR cough) but recently you have very much been right IMO. And lacking the time to post my own thoughts in depth, its good to know someone is still the voice of reason when everyone loses their head.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Thanks @Gustav_Graves. That song is refreshing and it's really nice to hear a cover of a classic.

Please just don't play anything Sam Smith or WOTW and I'll definitely be able to retain my enthusiasm before movie night.....if you play Sam I may have to 'slit my wrists'.

I'm still excited for SP, but I am going to go on record as saying I personally don't feel that anything they have done to date on marketing, press talk, song or trailers has had the same positive effect on me as that first teaser for SF (which really blew my socks off) or Adele's song (and I don't even like Adele or the song all that much but it was so refreshing after AWTD).

I think my expectations were way too high after SF (since I liked everything about the way they promoted that film and even though it's not my favourite Bond film, I really do enjoy it...)

SP has some big shoes to fill...

Funny. Personally speaking my expectations after SF are pretty low. Anything that's an improvement on SF and I'll consoder SP a success.

I also find the trailers for SP much more effective than SF. SF showed all the action in the trailers. I really feel with SP that they've managed to keep a lot more secret and the film is going to be full of surprises.

I think the SP trailers are the best for years. They have just the mix I am looking for. I remember seeing the CR trailers years back and being totally underwhelmed (although the film turned out to be much better than the trailers). This time I think the SP trailers are making it look like my kind of Bond movie - hopefully they are accurate.

Sorry, does anyone know about the word/character limit on these little boxes?
This discussion has been closed.