Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

Comments

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    00Agent wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »

latest?cb=20091201065748&path-prefix=en

Good point, you should ask DC that too.
    Spectre is my most anticipated Movie of the year. Most anticipated movie since Skyfall.
    Everything so far looks perfect, and now Daniel comes along and feeds the Press with all this crap about how much he hates it. If he is not into it, how do you expect me to get into his movies?

i haven't even talked here about his WORST comment for me so far, and since i am sure that most people have not read it, i will not spoil it here, since it actually might be just another of Craigs brainfarts. But it put a big blow to my anticipation for Spectre... but i can't stop scratching my head over the stuff this guy is openly saying in interviews.
    a promotional campaign is NO plattform for personal opinions like that, keep that for an evening in the pub with your friends

Said like a moron. Dan fed the press nothing, Before commenting research the topic. Dan gave an interview to On Time in July, The article has only just been published. The press are quoting the article. Bearing in mind Dan while still filming after gruelling schedule in which he had knocked lumps out his body is asked about "will he do another one" he responds along the lines of "if you asked me now, I would smash that glass and cut my wrists" is in the context Spectre has been a lot of hard work and hes exhausted that he couldn't do one right away. It is being spun by the press by selective wording. Word of advise be educated, Be the shepherd not the sheep. Don't read tabloids look for the article their quoting from and read for yourself, you will see how twisted mainstream press are.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    IMO it's not Daniel Craig who should be more careful/tone down his choice of words, but it's the rest of his profession who should handle the press in the same way as he does. Reading Craig interviews is extremely entertaining and refreshing, and in a perfect world (IMO) a lot more famous people should behave the same way.
    IMO it's not Daniel Craig who should be more careful/tone down his choice of words, but it's the rest of his profession who should handle the press in the same way as he does. Reading Craig interviews is extremely entertaining and refreshing, and in a perfect world (IMO) a lot more famous people should behave the same way.

=D>
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

Spectre is my most anticipated Movie of the year. Most anticipated movie since Skyfall.
    Everything so far looks perfect, and now Daniel comes along and feeds the Press with all this crap about how much he hates it. If he is not into it, how do you expect me to get into his movies?

i haven't even talked here about his WORST comment for me so far, and since i am sure that most people have not read it, i will not spoil it here, since it actually might be just another of Craigs brainfarts. But it put a big blow to my anticipation for Spectre... but i can't stop scratching my head over the stuff this guy is openly saying in interviews.
    a promotional campaign is NO plattform for personal opinions like that, keep that for an evening in the pub with your friends

Said like a moron. Dan fed the press nothing, Before commenting research the topic. Dan gave an interview to On Time in July, The article has only just been published. The press are quoting the article. Bearing in mind Dan while still filming after gruelling schedule in which he had knocked lumps out his body is asked about "will he do another one" he responds along the lines of "if you asked me now, I would smash that glass and cut my wrists" is in the context Spectre has been a lot of hard work and hes exhausted that he couldn't do one right away. It is being spun by the press by selective wording. Word of advise be educated, Be the shepherd not the sheep. Don't read tabloids look for the article their quoting from and read for yourself, you will see how twisted mainstream press are.

Oh wow, so this is the point where we start insulting each other?! Thats a pretty moroning thing from you but thats your decision.
    I am tired of talking about that one interview, since i posted it two days ago, the same interview. Dont act all snowden on me just cause you found it today i have read it multiple times.In fact i have read almost EVERY craig interview since 2006 and i still see this guy is absolutely not comfortable with doing press. He does not understand the concept of promotion. He just doesnt. EON should keep him from any of this

Oh wow, so this is the point where we start insulting each other?! Thats a pretty moroning thing from you but thats your decision.
    I am tired of talking about that one interview, since i posted it two days ago, the same interview. Dont act all snowden on me just cause you found it today i have read it multiple times.In fact i have read almost EVERY craig interview since 2006 and i still see this guy is absolutely not comfortable with doing press. He does not understand the concept of promotion. He just doesnt. EON should keep him from any of this

Are you a female?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If you think Craig does bad promotion, can you imagine if EON had cast Sam Worthington as Bond in 2006? Now that guy is a walking disaster.
    its all kicking off!
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Are you a female?

would you have a problem with that?
    Everybody knows it once Spectre opens. It's not my opinion it will hurt the box office but I don't see how Craig now can do another Bond movie without losing face completely.
    Furthermore the media will have a field day in now "casting" a new Bond actor.
    If you think it was bad before, wait what will happen in the next few months concerning that matter.

He can easily do another one because he didn't actually say what they're saying he said, they twisted his words. Add to that both DC and Babs are already on record saying he'll probably come back around again before these articles even published so that's easy. Honestly, look at what all the Bond producers have dealt with in the press since this franchise began. This is a just another bump that will be long forgotten in several months, especially if this Bond does big bucks.

More to the point, I seem to remember everybody making a big deal saying that Tom Cruise was done with Mission Impossible after Ghost Protocol and that Jeremy Renner may take over. Well, Cruise came back for Rogue Nation and lookie there, it did incredibly well despite the media blowing that out of proportion.

And as for the media having a field day "casting" a new Bond, they've been doing that since early summer thanks to Elba so again, nothing new.

In other words, none of this is new to anybody. They pull this crap with the release of every film; "So and so for Bond," "Craig uncertain of future with 007," yadda yadda yadda. It's yawn inducing and the fact so many here are predicting doom and gloom and dark times ahead is laughable at best. Absolutely nobody's careers are going to get hurt by this, especially Craig's, given he has ALWAYS been this way and he's still on top.

Don't turn this in to "poor me, the man called me a moron" but if you come on with uneducated drivel having a go at Craig's behaviour when it's clear you don't have grasp on the facts, then clearly your being a moron. You are being small minded that you are being led by what you have read in the tabloids, before drawing conclusions and attacking Craig's behaviour. Unless your the person who did the interview?? in which case please do tell us in which context was Craig's comments?? was he laughing at the time. Was it an off the record remark you decided to print anyway??.

The suggestion EON stop Craig giving interviews is the weirdest thing I have ever read. Sorry our leading man can't speak to the press to promote the movie. Pick a college mate I will fund your education.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I think what grates some fans is the "bite the hand that feeds you" attitude.

As we all know, Daniel Craig was aware of what he was signing up for - not just the amazing wealth, but the fame, the internet reaction, the press attention. He knew about this when he was offered the part!

He has to weigh up the fortune, the privileges that come from playing a role like James Bond. If he looks it at like that he should count himself a very lucky man. If all he sees is negativity and he expresses that negativity in interviews, he should go. Perhaps at a deeper psychological level Daniel Craig is insecure or has issues about acting and how others regard him. I dunno. I sense George Lazenby had similar issues. Roger Moore embraced his profession and the role of Bond.

YES, that is exactly what i am talking about.
    look at how Robert Downey Jr. handles his franchise fame. you will almost never hear anything negative about Iron man from him, and he sure doesn't love everything about it.

Or Christian Bale who was busting his a** for the Batman, but he had enough decency to mostly shut up about it.

he is gambling with his reputation. so far he always got away with it because his movies are so great.
    But he as an actor is making a total joke of himself with those comments

I haven't got a clue how Robert Downey Jr handles his franchise fame (or his fame in general), nor do I know what he is like as a person, so I can't comment on that. But I have a pretty good idea about Bale, and a good idea how he handled/continues to handle his fame, and he has done it very well, and indeed better than Craig, whether we talk about interview stuff, or being available to fans (autographs and pics), or how to deal with paparazzi. Both private, down to earth, no bs types, and with no self-promotion or celebrity glitz interests, but Bale seems far more relaxed than Craig who seems somehow defensive - to me, anyway. But I also think Craig has been under far more scrutiny and criticism from the very beginning. Making the movies might be as long and as much hard work, but outside the actual filming the Bond actor gets the shittier deal, I assume. When asked how the roles changed their lives, the replies are similar only up to a point, and then they get very different indeed.

By all accounts and as far as I can tell Craig is a good guy. (No, not a bleepin saint like someone mocked earlier, just a normal good guy.) For everyone who encounters it fame and publicity is a learning process one way or another. Bale (despite being a few years younger) was getting scar tissue from it years before Craig started working. Bale said some years ago that he's learning (I'd say visibly yes), and at least judging from Craig's own comments he is as well (even though I realize many here won't believe that at all), but it may take time to become obvious. Or he may never accept that people even recognize him and all that, and he'll keep fighting it... :)

Anyway actors hardly lose reputation and become "a total joke" over something as harmless (IMO, anyway) as those comments from summer that people are now somehow shocked about. Not the best way to express himself, true, but also people get upset so easily over trivial things nowadays.
    Tuulia wrote: »

As we all know, Daniel Craig was aware of what he was signing up for - not just the amazing wealth, but the fame, the internet reaction, the press attention. He knew about this when he was offered the part!

He has to weigh up the fortune, the privileges that come from playing a role like James Bond. If he looks it at like that he should count himself a very lucky man. If all he sees is negativity and he expresses that negativity in interviews, he should go. Perhaps at a deeper psychological level Daniel Craig is insecure or has issues about acting and how others regard him. I dunno. I sense George Lazenby had similar issues. Roger Moore embraced his profession and the role of Bond.

look at how Robert Downey Jr. handles his franchise fame. you will almost never hear anything negative about Iron man from him, and he sure doesn't love everything about it.

Or Christian Bale who was busting his a** for the Batman, but he had enough decency to mostly shut up about it.

he is gambling with his reputation. so far he always got away with it because his movies are so great.

I haven't got a clue how Robert Downey Jr handles his franchise fame (or his fame in general), nor do I know what he is like as a person, so I can't comment on that. But I have a pretty good idea about Bale, and a good idea how he handled/continues to handle his fame, and he has done it very well, and indeed better than Craig, whether we talk about interview stuff, or being available to fans (autographs and pics), or how to deal with paparazzi. Both private, down to earth, no bs types, and with no self-promotion or celebrity glitz interests, but Bale seems far more relaxed than Craig who seems somehow defensive - to me, anyway. But I also think Craig has been under far more scrutiny and criticism from the very beginning. Making the movies might be as long and as much hard work, but outside the actual filming the Bond actor gets the shittier deal, I assume. When asked how the roles changed their lives, the replies are similar only up to a point, and then they get very different indeed.

By all accounts and as far as I can tell Craig is a good guy. (No, not a bleepin saint like someone mocked earlier, just a normal good guy.) For everyone who encounters it fame and publicity is a learning process one way or another. Bale (despite being a few years younger) was getting scar tissue from it years before Craig started working. Bale said some years ago that he's learning (I'd say visibly yes), and at least judging from Craig's own comments he is as well (even though I realize many here won't believe that at all), but it may take time to become obvious. Or he may never accept that people even recognize him and all that, and he'll keep fighting it... :)

Anyway actors hardly lose reputation and become "a total joke" over something as harmless (IMO, anyway) as those comments from summer that people are now somehow shocked about. Not the best way to express himself, true, but also people get upset so easily over trivial things nowadays.

Nonsense , Bale is a disaster handling fame. Craig's never lost temper to a crew hand or been arrested for attacking his mother and sister just before the premiere of one of his biggest films.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/4446413/Christian-Bale-goes-ballistic-on-set-of-Terminator-Salvation-movie.html

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/jul/22/christian.bale
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @km16

I agree that if Spectre is a box office conquerer that this story will not be talked about for the time being. But later it will be picked up again, it's the biggest story Craig "made" so far. It is not only in one or two local newspaper.

It's global. Everywhere, yesterday and today.

Just simply web google or yahoo:

Daniel Craig

and look at the results, that is really depressing.

If you press the "news" button it's even worse.

It won't hurt his career nor hurt the franchise. But it will stay with him for the rest of his tenure as Bond.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The only people who get in a flap about Craig's interviews appear to be here on this forum. The rest of the world will read the headlines and possibly raise one (maybe two) eyebrows, and then make a mental note to see the film when it comes out.
    When Craig is on Tv on Graham Norton or wherever it will kick start the real anticipation for the film.
    NicNac wrote: »
    The only people who get in a flap about Craig's interviews appear to be here on this forum. The rest of the world will read the headlines and possibly raise one (maybe two) eyebrows, and then make a mental note to see the film when it comes out.
    When Craig is on Tv on Graham Norton or wherever it will kick start the real anticipation for the film.

Sense at last. And he won't swear once, because he changes to fit his audience.
    yes, this is 21st media, a few words can be spread globally within seconds and, at the same time, they will sit on thousands of web servers for decades to come. These interviews are very hard word, being interesting at the same time as not rocking the boat too much. Its a tough gig but its neither brain surgery or rocket science and it pays better.
  • RC7RC7

This.

Can everyone else put a sock in it now?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

This.

A sock? In it? Where? 8-X

On it sounds better :))

To be fair, thats why forums like this exist. If we reacted in the same way as the rest of the world, then no requirement for the forum and no opportunity to point out that the forum's reaction is different from the rest of the World.
  • RC7RC7

This.

A sock? In it? Where? 8-X

On it sounds better :))

In your collective gobs.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Keep it going lads. All good fun...

If some don't like it they can have a go at DC.

This is all press anyway so it's all good but he's unquestionably done some damage to his leading man status outside Bond for sure. EON may tolerate this but others likely won't.

I like the fact that he doesn't give a "f" & neither do I from now on.....just give us a good performance and I'll be happy.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

You raise a very good point and it's something I've noticed for quite some time. This is the biggest and best Bond site there is and yet most of the amateurish hysteria and blind panic stems from here whereas everywhere else aren't too bothered or are phased with little to no effect. You'd think more people here would know better, this isn't our first rodeo at the Bond circus. We've seen it all before. It's actually become quite embarassing.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Mark my words, if Warner Bros. Get a hold of the Bond license, DC will be out and we'll get a new reboot with films released every 2 years again. Colour me excited! =P~
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »

This is all press anyway so it's all good but he's unquestionably done some damage to his leading man status outside Bond for sure. EON may tolerate this but others likely won't.

No it won't. You can't possibly know that. If Hollywood shunned every actor who made these sorts of comments, it would be a ghost town.
    Robert Downey Jnr got in a huff over an interviewers comments and stormed off in a petulant rage - no effect at all. Forgotten now.

If Craig had done something like Mel Gibson and made comments that were offensive to the sensibilities of a race of people, then yes maybe there would be damage. But Craig didn't do that - he just questioned his future involvement with Bond films.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 15,692
    If SPECTRE is half as good as what the trailers promise, once the film premieres these interviews will be forgotten and the general audience will be begging for Craig to come back for a 5th.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mark my words, if Warner Bros. Get a hold of the Bond license, DC will be out and we'll get a new reboot with films released every 2 years again. Colour me excited! =P~

That would get me interested again.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »

No it won't. You can't possibly know that. If Hollywood shunned every actor who made these sorts of comments, it would be a ghost town.
    Robert Downey Jnr got in a huff over an interviewers comments and stormed off in a petulant rage - no effect at all. Forgotten now.

If Craig had done something like Mel Gibson and made comments that were offensive to the sensibilities of a race of people, then yes maybe there would be damage. But Craig didn't do that - he just questioned his future involvement with Bond films.

And with respect, you can't know it wont either. We'll see. It's left a bad taste in my mouth personally but as I said just give us a good performance on the day and I'll be ok. He does seem to whine a lot and as others have said it's really not necessary.
    If Dan was here now he would read this topic and say F&8K it its Friday!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,554
    Tuulia wrote: »

Nonsense , Bale is a disaster handling fame. Craig's never lost temper to a crew hand or been arrested for attacking his mother and sister just before the premiere of one of his biggest films.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/4446413/Christian-Bale-goes-ballistic-on-set-of-Terminator-Salvation-movie.html

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/jul/22/christian.bale

Thank you!

I though of this:

Imagine The Rolling Stones just get finished doing a six-month tour. A reporter asks Mick: "Do you think you'll do another tour?"

Mick: "God, I'm not sure. At the moment, I'd rather slit my wrists than do one. I just can't foresee what another tour would be like, nor do I even care to dwell on it."

Hmmm. Put in that context, doesn't it make more sense?
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    Could I say at this point that whilst we accept that Daniel Craig has used some colourful language in his interviews which have been lovingly reproduced on these forums, we still intend to impose the forum's T&Cs as strictly as before. And while we can't pick out every F bomb dropped by members we will do our best. This could lead to warnings which will morph naturally into potential suspensions or outright bans.

At the risk of seeming like a bunch of old fuddy duddys we try to stick to this policy as our membership is very broad, and we attract more and more members because we are a family friendly board.

And please make no bones about it, we expect long standing members to abide by these rules as much as new members.

Thanks

Can I honestly say something? Back in my country, Netherlands, we don't censor the F-word. I simply find it pivotal for the improvement of free speech in this society. And actually, sometimes the F-word should not censored away at all. Because sometimes this word doesn't stand on its own and needs to be seen through the entire meaning/context of a sentence...or even an entire story.

Moreover, if Empire Magazine is, rightfully, liberal enough not to censor it away, and if even Sam Mendes and Daniel Craig are just using the words with heavy sarcasm and irony, then I don't see the point of censoring such a word.

If you disagree, then I understand it also. Because from a cultural point of view I know that the British are way more fierce in censoring than the Dutch. But I DO want to make a point here though. Please shed some light on the freedom of speech as well. I don't want to become the next 'China'.

Hi, yes I understand what you are saying. You know what us stiff assed Brits are like?
    But at the end of the day, it's a UK site and we try to keep it civil and free of profanities wherever we can because we think it leads to a more friendly and civil forum.

I've seen Bond sites where anything goes, and usually the first thing to go is the female members. We have a strong female membership for a Bond forum and we are proud of that. So, for now we will carry on as we were. :)

Nothing against any nationalities and their common use of language but I think it is a matter of manners not to swear or insult others with slang, which sadly some are doing rather often here.

I also don't care if Craig is a street kid, white collar or chav or would have been brought up at Eton college, he should show manners in public and in interviews and he doesn't obviously.
    That's no role model behaviour.

This.
This discussion has been closed.