Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

Comments

@Tuulia

I think an actor in what may be the highest profile role of the film industry automatically is a role model for kids, youths, young adults, adults.

Therefore he has some responsibility to behave.

IMO

I don't quite agree. People in general have "some responsibility to behave" and he does. It's not like he's actually doing any seriously bad behavior, is he? Not actually pretending like he's Bond when not at his work, for instance (violent behavior, lots of drinking, rather reckless and dangerous driving...)

The moral outrage and tut-tutting here over some swearing amazes me.

Perhaps it's like a marriage. Even if it hasn't been discussed and no decision taken, in your heart, you know when it's over and, no matter how hard you try, it does effect your behavior.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Germanlady wrote: »
    He has been a role model in many ways, starting with his response to the CR bashing to many other occasions, where he showed strength, dedication ad decency. I have spoken over the years to quite a lot of people, who totally drew inspiration from him.
    He was always tireless in his promotion for his films, too, EVEN though we know, how much he dislikes it.

I believe, its too easy to just discount someone for one bad trait and forget about everything else. Too easy. Lets leave that to the media and maybe try to have the bigger picture. At least around here, where people have a bit more insight into the matter.

Now you make me feel guilty :P

you have a point, he is a hard worker and gives 100% of him to be the best he can be in his movies.
    I just can't stand bad manners that's my fault, I should be more forgiving.

Those comments about money and cutting wrists though are not good.
    I cannot understand why someone already rich would do work only for the money.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    patb wrote: »
    Perhaps it's like a marriage. Even if it hasn't been discussed and no decision taken, in your heart, you know when it's over and, no matter how hard you try, it does effect your behavior.

This is my feeling too.......there's a certain finality in this isn't there. The writing's on the wall so to speak....
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 5,185
    bondjames wrote: »
    Same magazine new Sam Mendes Interview

I'm in agreement with him actually. Thanks for the memories Sam. Good luck with the future.

I think we'll only truly know about DC after a yr or so, but I'm betting he's through as well. With a studio changeover in the works (possibly) I'm sure they would want someone more 'press friendly' and younger who they could mold and prep for a multi-film period. That only makes sense, from an investment perspective.

It is possible all of this has already been decided behind the scenes, and these small explosions in the media are just the result of that.....

I think so too,
    besides, he and Sam are pretty close pals and i am sure they will have talked about this a lot.
    If Craigs "Bond Tank is really empty", and they put everything they had into Spectre, then there will be very little draw to pull him back in for 25, Money won't be enough.
    Also as i said over and over here, from his recent comments there is almost no indication that he has still fun doing this or even loves it.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,661
    I think what grates some fans is the "bite the hand that feeds you" attitude.

As we all know, Daniel Craig was aware of what he was signing up for - not just the amazing wealth, but the fame, the internet reaction, the press attention. He knew about this when he was offered the part!

He has to weigh up the fortune, the privileges that come from playing a role like James Bond. If he looks it at like that he should count himself a very lucky man. If all he sees is negativity and he expresses that negativity in interviews, he should go. Perhaps at a deeper psychological level Daniel Craig is insecure or has issues about acting and how others regard him. I dunno. I sense George Lazenby had similar issues.

Roger Moore embraced his profession and the role of Bond. Craig appears to be the polar opposite.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,602
    He is a clever guy, he either meant to say those words or they just caught him on a really, really bad day (or Time Out made it up) but these things are managed, he would have had a PA or media rep present to ensure a melt down didn't happen. In a strange way, if he announced it in a more dignified way, it would create more revenue. "DCs last appearence" etc, if it was managed properly, it would be OK, no one goes on forever. But there is no class in these words.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    00Agent wrote: »
    i understand that his remarks are mostly humorous and so on,
    but at this point i would hope he stops giving interviews entirely.

Has anyone here heard him say even ONE word of praise for Spectre so far?
    you know, stuff like "i am proud of this movie" "everyone involved gave it his best" etc...

Instead he uses every interview for his own personal agenda, reminding everyone he is not bond, he is not cool, and bond is actually not cool to begin with...whatever.
    yes, he is an artsy little rebel, i get it.... how is this supposed to help the Movie?
    Maybe it is some new marketing trick that i am not aware of,
    But of course bad press is better than no press....
    but i will not take any of his stuff serious from now on.

More than "one" word actually. I suppose you either read or remember very selectively if you haven't.

Yes, he says he isn't Bond, isn't particularly brave or cool-headed, or indeed otherwise cool, and that's some "personal agenda"? Um-hum...

That's no role model behaviour.

He is not even supposed to be a role model as far as I know. He didn't sign up for that job.

Not to agree or disagree with any of the previous posts about Dan's comments but he's a role model whether he likes it or not. That's the price you pay for having a high profile.

In other words, everyone famous is a role model? Ok, in a way I suppose they are. But people are complaining over and over and over that he doesn't behave because he... eeek! ...swears. A major sin and crime, apparently. My point being that he is an actor, his job isn't to be some perfect role model or raise other people's children to be non-swearing model citizens or something.
    He is a clever guy, he either meant to say those words or they just caught him on a really, really bad day (or Time Out made it up) but these things are managed, he would have had a PA or media rep present to ensure a melt down didn't happen. In a strange way, if he announced it in a more dignified way, it would create more revenue. "DCs last appearence" etc, if it was managed properly, it would be OK, no one goes on forever. But there is no class in these words.

I'm not so sure that he is managed at all in that regard.
    EON should have never allowed such an interview, respectively such answers.
    IMO
    fanbond123 wrote: »

As we all know, Daniel Craig was aware of what he was signing up for - not just the amazing wealth, but the fame, the internet reaction, the press attention. He knew about this when he was offered the part!

He has to weigh up the fortune, the privileges that come from playing a role like James Bond. If he looks it at like that he should count himself a very lucky man. If all he sees is negativity and he expresses that negativity in interviews, he should go. Perhaps at a deeper psychological level Daniel Craig is insecure or has issues about acting and how others regard him. I dunno. I sense George Lazenby had similar issues. Roger Moore embraced his profession and the role of Bond.

YES, that is exactly what i am talking about.
    look at how Robert Downey Jr. handles his franchise fame. you will almost never hear anything negative about Iron man from him, and he sure doesn't love everything about it.

Or Christian Bale who was busting his a** for the Batman, but he had enough decency to mostly shut up about it.

he is gambling with his reputation. so far he always got away with it because his movies are so great.
    But he as an actor is making a total joke of himself with those comments
    Its not really the swearing IMHO, he could have used that in a positive way to show how happy he is with the film. But the language and metaphors are not good. Suicide is still a taboo topic for many, to say suicide is a preferable option is never going to read well. I completely understand it was a joke but it's not a positive image during a time when they want everyone to be "pumped" to see it. Plus the reference to money,
    Bond is an "international treasure" and its not too much to expect those so intimately involved in Bond to treat the project/character with a minimum of respect.
    (can you imagine the same words from L Nimoy when considering another ST movie?), respect the job and people respect you, it's a mutual , two way thing and goes beyond movies. Anyone who works within a profession knows there are certain ways to behave in order to gain respect.
    NicNac wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    Could I say at this point that whilst we accept that Daniel Craig has used some colourful language in his interviews which have been lovingly reproduced on these forums, we still intend to impose the forum's T&Cs as strictly as before. And while we can't pick out every F bomb dropped by members we will do our best. This could lead to warnings which will morph naturally into potential suspensions or outright bans.

At the risk of seeming like a bunch of old fuddy duddys we try to stick to this policy as our membership is very broad, and we attract more and more members because we are a family friendly board.

And please make no bones about it, we expect long standing members to abide by these rules as much as new members.

Thanks

Can I honestly say something? Back in my country, Netherlands, we don't censor the F-word. I simply find it pivotal for the improvement of free speech in this society. And actually, sometimes the F-word should not censored away at all. Because sometimes this word doesn't stand on its own and needs to be seen through the entire meaning/context of a sentence...or even an entire story.

Moreover, if Empire Magazine is, rightfully, liberal enough not to censor it away, and if even Sam Mendes and Daniel Craig are just using the words with heavy sarcasm and irony, then I don't see the point of censoring such a word.

If you disagree, then I understand it also. Because from a cultural point of view I know that the British are way more fierce in censoring than the Dutch. But I DO want to make a point here though. Please shed some light on the freedom of speech as well. I don't want to become the next 'China'.

Hi, yes I understand what you are saying. You know what us stiff assed Brits are like?
    But at the end of the day, it's a UK site and we try to keep it civil and free of profanities wherever we can because we think it leads to a more friendly and civil forum.

I've seen Bond sites where anything goes, and usually the first thing to go is the female members. We have a strong female membership for a Bond forum and we are proud of that. So, for now we will carry on as we were. :)

Nothing against any nationalities and their common use of language but I think it is a matter of manners not to swear or insult others with slang, which sadly some are doing rather often here.

I also don't care if Craig is a street kid, white collar or chav or would have been brought up at Eton college, he should show manners in public and in interviews and he doesn't obviously.

What planet are we living on? Not every actor is a role model. Actors are just people working for a living. You don't see Z-list celebrities being touted as role models despite working in Hollywood. DC is hardly UNICEF-ing it like Roger Moore or out adopting third world babies like Jolie. He's just a man working for a living.

But let's not kid ourselves. Anyone looking up to any old actor as a role model clearly needs their priorities checked.
    I'm living on the same planet as my two sons who love Bond and look up to DC as he is their Bond from their era. The top money is not just paid for the acting, its to be an ambassador for the franchise and support it's "brand values", RM has always understood that. I am sure there have been many many times when he wanted to swear, being asked the same questions over and over again. This type of interview shows how hard it is to find the next Bond, it's not just about looking good or acting. It's about so much more.
    delete
    fanbond123 wrote: »

He has to weigh up the fortune, the privileges that come from playing a role like James Bond. If he looks it at like that he should count himself a very lucky man. If all he sees is negativity and he expresses that negativity in interviews, he should go. Perhaps at a deeper psychological level Daniel Craig is insecure or has issues about acting and how others regard him. I dunno. I sense George Lazenby had similar issues.

Roger Moore embraced his profession and the role of Bond. Craig appears to be the polar opposite.

Craig does count himself very lucky and has said so, including recently. Yes, this role has made him wealthy and has given him further opportunities career-wise, and he has also enjoyed the role and making the movies and the people he has worked with and the producers. He has said so, also including recently. Where the do you get the "all he sees is negativity" crap? It's not all he sees, but all you see, apparently.

I really don't get the constant attacking at the Bond actor on a Bond forum, a couple of weeks before the new Bond movie's release. How do people only see some comment (ignoring context and all) to get upset about and manage to miss the positive stuff entirely? I'd understand that better on a non-Bond forum where one would assume people only notice some headline grabbing bit. Here one would think people have seen more than that and have a better idea of the big picture. But nope...

• edited October 2015 Posts: 187
    I'm living on the same planet as my two sons who love Bond and look up to DC as he is their Bond from their era. The top money is not just paid for the acting, its to be an ambassador for the franchise and support it's "brand values", RM has always understood that. I am sure there have been many many times when he wanted to swear, being asked the same questions over and over again.

No offense but an actor who plays a womanizing, alcoholic assassin? I mean, I would've gone with, oh I don't know, a historical figure, a teacher, a local policeman or firefighter, a family member, a co-worker but an actor who's getting paid to play pretend?

Ok. Sure. *shrugs*
    welcome to teenage boyhood, "womanizing, alcoholic assassin", yes, that's the genius of Bond, there is a teenager inside all men and a small part of us wants to be him and, therefore, we lookup to the actor (rightly or wrongly)
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I think Craig sees himself as a role model to some extent. Why else do all the UN stuff, like Sir Rog did.

He's just not a good self-editor. I don't thin he likes the idea of always performing, even when not on the set. Sir Rog is just a born performer - he can't help it. And he is pretty exceptional in being so charming, witty and good natured in interviews. The mans just a legend and comparing DC to Sir Rog is a bit unfair really. No one can be that amazing.

DC likes to swear and gives off a bit of an edgy attitude in interviews. A bit like Connery I suppose? He his who he is. Frankly I don't care that much. All that matters to me is how they perform in the movie. Dalton comes across as a bit of a pretentious twerp in his Bond era interviews, but he was a really good Bond. Pieece is much more likeable as a person in interviews, but he is the only Bond actor I really can't stand in a Bond movie.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 187
    The main problem is even the most talented actors don't always get along with the press or even can stand putting up with their BS. And some people just are not calm and collected, doesn't make them any less talented. Being an actor at the end of the day is about being good at one thing; acting, not Hollywood PR. That's like being a basketball player. Yes, you have to be good at the fundamentals to get into the NBA but not everybody is gonna be amazing at 3-pointers.

Christian Bale is an amazing example of this. A great Batman. Terrible voice but a great Batman and a terrific actor in all regards. In real life, well, see that incident on the Terminator set. Some people have that natural quality and just because DC doesn't (or doesn't like to show it at all times) doesn't make him any less deserving of what he's accomplished or of being James Bond for that matter and to think so is, imo, utterly ridiculous.

BB and MGW hired DC because of what he brings to the role, not because of how he handles the press.
    I dont care either but many people/fans/movie goers do and, as he has brought up money, for his advertised fee, he could make a better effort in choosing his words (whether he "likes performing" or not)
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    i understand that his remarks are mostly humorous and so on,
    but at this point i would hope he stops giving interviews entirely.

Has anyone here heard him say even ONE word of praise for Spectre so far?
    you know, stuff like "i am proud of this movie" "everyone involved gave it his best" etc...

Instead he uses every interview for his own personal agenda, reminding everyone he is not bond, he is not cool, and bond is actually not cool to begin with...whatever.
    yes, he is an artsy little rebel, i get it.... how is this supposed to help the Movie?
    Maybe it is some new marketing trick that i am not aware of,
    But of course bad press is better than no press....
    but i will not take any of his stuff serious from now on.

More than "one" word actually. I suppose you either read or remember very selectively if you haven't.

Yes, he says he isn't Bond, isn't particularly brave or cool-headed, or indeed otherwise cool, and that's some "personal agenda"? Um-hum...

He is not even supposed to be a role model as far as I know. He didn't sign up for that job.

Not a role model, LOL! WHAT! The UN made him Ambassador for global mine action advocate, I do not think there is a bigger role model. =))

The comedy on this site sometime, people having brain farts.

his swearing is in humour context not in a abusive sense. A swear word with no meaning posses no risk, in world with radicalism, mass murder, rape and torture. Does Dan saying the F word affect kids?? really? Kids these days you can wrap them in candy floss hide them from everything.. The minute you send them to school, they mix with other kids, they learn the words and because they are not allowed to they do it even more to be rebellious. What kids are reading Time Out or Esquire anyway. Never heard Dan swear in a TV interview or radio. He chooses his audience.
    Being an actor is one thing. Robert DeNiro has had many fall outs with the press and gets away with it. But when you play a cultural icon , not just once, but in a series, it carries with it certain responsibilities. The closest I can think of is perhaps something like Harry Potter or Hans Solo. These are not just movies, they go beyond that. These forums are proof of that and would not exist if Bond was one character in one movie.

Not a role model, LOL! WHAT! The UN made him Ambassador for global mine action advocate, I do not think there is a bigger role model. =))

That is great for him, and i respect that.
    But don't interview him about it otherwise he will tell you how much he hates that work and would rather slit his wrists.

look, he was saying that stuff from the start. thinks like "i hate it", "i wanted to get out from the start", and now his most recent high point.

none of his comments on their own would bother me, what bothers me is the consistency, there is a pattern here, and i am getting tired of it. and yes i will stop reading his interviews.
    he has not learnt anything about dealing with the press
  • RC7RC7

That is great for him, and i respect that.
    But don't interview him about it otherwise he will tell you how much he hates that work and would rather slit his wrists.

look, he was saying that stuff from the start. thinks like "i hate it", "i wanted to get out from the start", and now his most recent high point.

none of his comments on their own would bother me, what bothers me is the consistency, there is a pattern here, and i am getting tired of it. and yes i will stop reading his interviews.
    he has not learnt anything about dealing with the press

latest?cb=20091201065748&path-prefix=en
  • Daniel Craig does like to use colourful language. Nothing wrong in that. The interview with him mentioning that he would "rather slit his wrists" than do another Bond film right now has been totally blown out of proportion by the media. Its a problem in todays twitter,facebook, obsessed world that people over react without correctly reading and understanding what was said and it what context. I am sure there are a lot of people on here that would rather slit their wrists than watch DAD again after the credits roll but it doesn't mean that they would, and they wouldn't watch it again in a year or two.
    I wish journalists would just ask him about the film he has just made and stop asking him about the next one and if he will be back. It must get exhausting and extremely monotonous.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,020
    I think at the end of the day this is the only thing that really matters:

Several newspapers here have stories about Craig with headlines like:

- Daniel Craig quits after Spectre.

- Danke Craig has enough, Spectre is his last Bond.

- Craig rather commits suicide than playing Bond again.

- There is nothing left in Bond for Craig.

and don't get fooled, those are stories in big newspapers, some tabloid some serious respected newspapers that reach millions of readers.

People do not know the context of that words, they just read this and take it for a fact that Craig has enough and wants to quit. And obviously some newspapers also take this for a fact that Craig is quitting.
    Furthermore in all of those stories, Craig's money and wrist cutting comments are prominent and not in a good way.

That the result of his remarks. It doesn't matter how he meant it, it's out there and can't be reversed.
    Everybody knows it once Spectre opens. It's not my opinion it will hurt the box office but I don't see how Craig now can do another Bond movie without losing face completely.
    Furthermore the media will have a field day in now "casting" a new Bond actor.
    If you think it was bad before, wait what will happen in the next few months concerning that matter.

Outside of fandom, thousands of readers around the UK would have read that interview after a hard days work , many working on zero hours contracts, min wage, tough conditions etc etc, they look to Bond and other movies for windows of excitement and escapism. Most/many people hate work but do it anyway as they need to feed themselves etc. They don't need to read about movie stars moaning and slitting their wrists as they earn 10s of millions of dollars. It just doesn't sit right IMHO
    RC7 wrote: »

latest?cb=20091201065748&path-prefix=en

Good point, you should ask DC that too.
    Spectre is my most anticipated Movie of the year. Most anticipated movie since Skyfall.
    Everything so far looks perfect, and now Daniel comes along and feeds the Press with all this crap about how much he hates it. If he is not into it, how do you expect me to get into his movies?

i haven't even talked here about his WORST comment for me so far, and since i am sure that most people have not read it, i will not spoil it here, since it actually might be just another of Craigs brainfarts. But it put a big blow to my anticipation for Spectre... but i can't stop scratching my head over the stuff this guy is openly saying in interviews.
    a promotional campaign is NO plattform for personal opinions like that, keep that for an evening in the pub with your friends
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2015 Posts: 15,692
    Craig does interviews like a proper Finn - see: Mika Hakkinen and Kimi Raikkonen. And I must say I have to applaud Craig for showing big balls against the press like these 2 sportsman. Sure the language is a bit colourful and a bit violent, but these kind of interviews are miles better than 95% of boring, useless, corporate-robots-like famous people talking.
    Gosh, even the Rolling Stones remark about wanting to get out from the start eas NEVER serious. Still people believe it. To this day. Amazing.
This discussion has been closed.