Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

Comments

fanbond123 wrote: »
    I don't wish to be too offensive but I feel I have to say this... (get it out my system!)

His language, the constant use of the f word, the "only for the money" mercenary remark - sheesh, what a tosser he sounds. Really comes over in a bad way. To think the most enduring film franchise has this guy representing it. Incredible. What a lousy spokesperson he is for the franchise Cubby Broccoli spent a lifetime working on.

The sooner he goes the better. I've lost all respect for him. SPECTRE - his last film? I sincerely hope so!

I am sure the feeling would be mutual. Trial by media. You don't know what was said, how it was said and in what context yet your ready to throw him to the lions. I find this attitude to be sad, uneducated and gullable. Said before why has this interview back in July now just been published a few days after DC says he will keep going as long as he physically can. Smells of select editing, a magazine drawing attention to itself and a journo who would rather have different Bond takeover. But you keep on lambasting the guy without facts and hearing his side. If the same magazine told you Elvis was alive, grass is purple and that the world ended Wednesday you would probably believe all that too.

If it is slander or dishonest reporting, perhaps DC/film-makers should say so. Seeing as though it is causing such a negative fuss.

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    DC makes 4 Bond films in 10 years
    DR makes 8 Potter films in 10 years

Just goes to show

Goes to show what? You're like a Pound Shop Riddler at times.

Haha, that's a new one! Never been called that before!

Oh well, nice to know I have some sort of impact around here, even if I'm not always the most succinct, shall we say!

P.S. I have been a distant admirer of your opinions lately, especially regarding WOTW and Craig suicide discussions. We don't always agree (cough CR cough) but recently you have very much been right IMO. And lacking the time to post my own thoughts in depth, its good to know someone is still the voice of reason when everyone loses their head.

Glad to be of service, Commander.
    dandan wrote: »

If it is slander or dishonest reporting, perhaps DC/film-makers should say so. Seeing as though it is causing such a negative fuss.

It sure is that, but what can they say or do? Trying to back him up will only be seen as "OH, they don't want themovie to bomb"

Guess all they can do is sit it out and hope for the best. Like i said, poking some fun on it during a show might be good.
    Printed interviews are very much like emails or forum posters. The nuances and tones don't come through and attempts at humour can be completely lost. This is compounded by the British sense of humour that can be dark and sarcastic. The interview was for Time Out which is both a big enough publication to be quoted in other sources and , obviously, printed media. I am surprised DC is not sharp enough by now to alter his style of interview to avoid this type of confusion. It does not come across well at all.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,119
    I don't wish to be too offensive but I feel I have to say this... (get it out my system!)

His language, the constant use of the f word, the "only for the money" mercenary remark - sheesh, what a tosser he sounds. Really comes over in a bad way. To think the most enduring film franchise has this guy representing it. Incredible. What a lousy spokesperson he is for the franchise Cubby Broccoli spent a lifetime working on.

The sooner he goes the better. I've lost all respect for him. SPECTRE - his last film? I sincerely hope so!

You take all this news too serious and you completely lost context and perspective. May I remind you how well Mr Craig gets along with both cast and crew? Perhaps....this quote from Empire Magazine, between Sam Mendes and Daniel Craig, put things in a different perspective for you. It actually shows that Empire Magazine is doing a better job at showing the sheer fun and humour both Daniel Craig and Sam Mendes have on set than other 'cheaper' entertainment tabloids. Basically, if some gossip article would be able to print some smileys, then all the 'bad words' from Craig's mouth would have been interpreted differently. Please read:
    EMPIRE MAGAZINE, late July: So, you're almost done with SPECTRE?
    SAM MENDES: "Pretty much. Tomorrow we shoot a couple of little shots. I can't fucking believe it. We've actually fucking finished it. You can't print lots of swear words, can you?"
    DANIEL CRAIG: "Yes, they fucking can, it's Empire :-P."
    SAM MENDES: "Of course they can. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!"
    DANIEL CRAIG: "They always add fucks when I talk, because I sound so street ;-)."
    SAM MENDES: "I need to sound a little more street, so I'm going to say 'fuck' a lot. No, it's been 128 days, which is a long time."
    DANIEL CRAIG: "It's 128 days tomorrow??"
    SAM MENDES: "The 128th day. On top of that is 90-odd days of 2nd unit as well, and then additional unites, probably 20 or 30 days as well. It's been a monster. A monster!"

It's all a matter of interpretation @fanbond. And I'm afraid you completely misinterpreted Mr Craig. It's sad really.
    Andy Murray once made a joke about supporting England in the World Cup during an interview, it was just a quick, off the cuff remark during a press conference but once printed, the context changes, the humour and lightness is removed and many tennis fans still quote him out of context
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Could I say at this point that whilst we accept that Daniel Craig has used some colourful language in his interviews which have been lovingly reproduced on these forums, we still intend to impose the forum's T&Cs as strictly as before. And while we can't pick out every F bomb dropped by members we will do our best. This could lead to warnings which will morph naturally into potential suspensions or outright bans.

At the risk of seeming like a bunch of old fuddy duddys we try to stick to this policy as our membership is very broad, and we attract more and more members because we are a family friendly board.

And please make no bones about it, we expect long standing members to abide by these rules as much as new members.

Thanks
  • I am rather disappointed in Daniel Craig giving negative promotion to Spectre before its release. He is obligated by contract to do his best to promote. Sure he is tired,fed up with all the interviews and the paparazzi,and the long hard,tiring ordeal of production and filming, but he should use much better discretion and bite his tongue when taiking to the press instead of coming out with silly comments about slitting his wrists and that he will only do another one for money. In other words his heart will not be in doing his very best even if he does another one. Making negative promotion for a movie 2 or 3 years away is career suicide. He is destroying the films success changes and also destroying my respect for him as a professional actor.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,119
    NicNac wrote: »
    Could I say at this point that whilst we accept that Daniel Craig has used some colourful language in his interviews which have been lovingly reproduced on these forums, we still intend to impose the forum's T&Cs as strictly as before. And while we can't pick out every F bomb dropped by members we will do our best. This could lead to warnings which will morph naturally into potential suspensions or outright bans.

At the risk of seeming like a bunch of old fuddy duddys we try to stick to this policy as our membership is very broad, and we attract more and more members because we are a family friendly board.

And please make no bones about it, we expect long standing members to abide by these rules as much as new members.

Thanks

Can I honestly say something? Back in my country, Netherlands, we don't censor the F-word. I simply find it pivotal for the improvement of free speech in this society. And actually, sometimes the F-word should not censored away at all. Because sometimes this word doesn't stand on its own and needs to be seen through the entire meaning/context of a sentence...or even an entire story.

Moreover, if Empire Magazine is, rightfully, liberal enough not to censor it away, and if even Sam Mendes and Daniel Craig are just using the words with heavy sarcasm and irony, then I don't see the point of censoring such a word.

If you disagree, then I understand it also. Because from a cultural point of view I know that the British are way more fierce in censoring than the Dutch. But I DO want to make a point here though. Please shed some light on the freedom of speech as well. I don't want to become the next 'China'.
    I am rather disappointed in Daniel Craig giving negative promotion to Spectre before its release. He is obligated by contract to do his best to promote. Sure he is tired,fed up with all the interviews and the paparazzi,and the long hard,tiring ordeal of production and filming, but he should use much better discretion and bite his tongue when taiking to the press instead of coming out with silly comments about slitting his wrists and that he will only do another one for money. In other words his heart will not be in doing his very best even if he does another one. Making negative promotion for a movie 2 or 3 years away is career suicide. He is destroying the films success changes and also destroying my respect for him as a professional actor.

You actually haven't read my previous two posts AT ALL.
    Germanlady wrote: »

It sure is that, but what can they say or do?

Er, they can say, hold on he did not say that.

• RC7RC7
    edited October 2015 Posts: 10,512

For those soiling their knickers, like yourself, even the DM (The biggest rag on earth) is running a story saying people are taking his comments out of context. Sort yourselves out, guys.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3265854/Ellen-Pompeo-slams-Daniel-Craig-s-anti-Bond-comments-Twitter-left-eating-words.html
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Thanks

Can I honestly say something? Back in my country, Netherlands, we don't censor the F-word. I simply find it pivotal for the improvement of free speech in this society. And actually, sometimes the F-word should not censored away at all. Because sometimes this word doesn't stand on its own and needs to be seen through the entire meaning/context of a sentence...or even an entire story.

Moreover, if Empire Magazine is, rightfully, liberal enough not to censor it away, and if even Sam Mendes and Daniel Craig are just using the words with heavy sarcasm and irony, then I don't see the point of censoring such a word.

If you disagree, then I understand it also. Because from a cultural point of view I know that the British are way more fierce in censoring than the Dutch. But I DO want to make a point here though. Please shed some light on the freedom of speech as well. I don't want to become the next 'China'.

Hi, yes I understand what you are saying. You know what us stiff assed Brits are like?
    But at the end of the day, it's a UK site and we try to keep it civil and free of profanities wherever we can because we think it leads to a more friendly and civil forum.

I've seen Bond sites where anything goes, and usually the first thing to go is the female members. We have a strong female membership for a Bond forum and we are proud of that. So, for now we will carry on as we were. :)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I've seen forums where they have a world scrambler. If you make a post and for example try saying "Apple" when the post is submitted it will always be something filtered. Perhaps we can have the F world filtered to Goldfinger. :))
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

I am sure the feeling would be mutual. Trial by media. You don't know what was said, how it was said and in what context yet your ready to throw him to the lions. I find this attitude to be sad, uneducated and gullable. Said before why has this interview back in July now just been published a few days after DC says he will keep going as long as he physically can. Smells of select editing, a magazine drawing attention to itself and a journo who would rather have different Bond takeover. But you keep on lambasting the guy without facts and hearing his side. If the same magazine told you Elvis was alive, grass is purple and that the world ended Wednesday you would probably believe all that too.

Why give them the time of day, and give them the further publicity of responding when the correct course is to refuse them any further interviews. If Daniel had to release a statement every time something written about what he is alleged to have said or done, well he would not get much acting done. Don't believe paper talk, that magazines held on to that interview since July for a reason, think about it. If you were a monthly publication and you had an exclusive with Dan on set during filming of Spectre do you delay publication by 3 months?? as I said stinks of select editing to make it more of a story to sell their magazine.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    i understand that his remarks are mostly humorous and so on,
    but at this point i would hope he stops giving interviews entirely.

Has anyone here heard him say even ONE word of praise for Spectre so far?
    you know, stuff like "i am proud of this movie" "everyone involved gave it his best" etc...

Instead he uses every interview for his own personal agenda, reminding everyone he is not bond, he is not cool, and bond is actually not cool to begin with...whatever.
    yes, he is an artsy little rebel, i get it.... how is this supposed to help the Movie?
    Maybe it is some new marketing trick that i am not aware of,
    But of course bad press is better than no press....
    but i will not take any of his stuff serious from now on.

edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    The full interview

http://www.timeout.com/london/film/daniel-craig-interview-my-advice-to-the-next-james-bond-dont-be-shit

On Sam Mendes
    And we’re not just strangers, we know each other, and so we can shout at one another. It became a proper friendship on this new movie. I felt massively supported by him, in a different way. He had my back and I certainly had his.’

Terrible selfish egomaniac that Daniel Craig LOL.

There’s always so much expectation and talk around a new Bond film. Have you got used to the passionate fans and how much they care?
    ‘You can’t think about it. I don’t go on the Internet any more. I think if you’re famous, the Internet is evil. I really think that. If you’re famous, it makes you paranoid. Or it makes you more paranoid than you already are. Because if you’re famous and you go on the Internet for half an hour, you realise people are talking about you. It doesn’t matter how strong you are, some of that will make you paranoid. I just don’t do it anymore. It’s the enemy of creativity.’
    @Agent, he has praised this film during interviews, but don't ask me now to bring links. Its all in here somewhere. But he has talked in length about how it is classy etc. etc. and how he feels, its exactlyx where he wanted to go.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,020

Thanks

Hi, yes I understand what you are saying. You know what us stiff assed Brits are like?
    But at the end of the day, it's a UK site and we try to keep it civil and free of profanities wherever we can because we think it leads to a more friendly and civil forum.

I've seen Bond sites where anything goes, and usually the first thing to go is the female members. We have a strong female membership for a Bond forum and we are proud of that. So, for now we will carry on as we were. :)

Nothing against any nationalities and their common use of language but I think it is a matter of manners not to swear or insult others with slang, which sadly some are doing rather often here.

I also don't care if Craig is a street kid, white collar or chav or would have been brought up at Eton college, he should show manners in public and in interviews and he doesn't obviously.
    That's no role model behaviour.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Honestly, that wasn't as bad as people are blowing it out to be. I could tell he was getting a little stressed towards he end of the interview but he probably just wanted to get it over with. If I was the current Bond actor and asked about my replacement, I could care less either. Daniel Craig isn't an overly serious guy. He's not going to pander and he's going to be real. He's a human being like the rest of us. That slashing the wrists part was obviously in jest. people just need a sensayuma. <- LALD Novel reference.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Same magazine new Sam Mendes Interview

http://www.timeout.com/london/film/sam-mendes-on-daniel-craig-killing-off-m-and-returning-to-bond-for-spectre

Can you imagine him or you doing another Bond movie?

Sam: ‘Well, you know, never say never – and I hear the groans, it’s a terrible cliché. I think for Daniel, only he can answer. For me, I think it’s been an incredible five years doing both movies and it’s probably time for something else. And for someone else to make their own part of the Bond myth. It’s someone else’s job to come in with a new colour and energy and do it their way. I’ll be in the front row to see that.’

Really sounds like Sam is done, going to come down to which director is recruited for Bond 25 that will decide if Dan continues me thinks.

For those soiling their knickers, like yourself, even the DM (The biggest rag on earth) is running a story saying people are taking his comments out of context. Sort yourselves out, guys.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3265854/Ellen-Pompeo-slams-Daniel-Craig-s-anti-Bond-comments-Twitter-left-eating-words.html

I don't wear any knickers.

I don't wear knickers.

00Agent wrote: »

you know, stuff like "i am proud of this movie" "everyone involved gave it his best" etc...

Instead he uses every interview for his own personal agenda, reminding everyone he is not bond, he is not cool, and bond is actually not cool to begin with...whatever.
    yes, he is an artsy little rebel, i get it.... how is this supposed to help the Movie?

More than "one" word actually. I suppose you either read or remember very selectively if you haven't.

Yes, he says he isn't Bond, isn't particularly brave or cool-headed, or indeed otherwise cool, and that's some "personal agenda"? Um-hum...

He is not even supposed to be a role model as far as I know. He didn't sign up for that job.

• RC7RC7

I don't wear any knickers.

Commando Bond.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @Tuulia

I think an actor in what may be the highest profile role of the film industry automatically is a role model for kids, youths, young adults, adults.

Therefore he has some responsibility to behave.

IMO
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Same magazine new Sam Mendes Interview

http://www.timeout.com/london/film/sam-mendes-on-daniel-craig-killing-off-m-and-returning-to-bond-for-spectre

Can you imagine him or you doing another Bond movie?

Sam: ‘Well, you know, never say never – and I hear the groans, it’s a terrible cliché. I think for Daniel, only he can answer. For me, I think it’s been an incredible five years doing both movies and it’s probably time for something else. And for someone else to make their own part of the Bond myth. It’s someone else’s job to come in with a new colour and energy and do it their way. I’ll be in the front row to see that.’

Really sounds like Sam is done, going to come down to which director is recruited for Bond 25 that will decide if Dan continues me thinks.

I'm in agreement with him actually. Thanks for the memories Sam. Good luck with the future.

I think we'll only truly know about DC after a yr or so, but I'm betting he's through as well. With a studio changeover in the works (possibly) I'm sure they would want someone more 'press friendly' and younger who they could mold and prep for a multi-film period. That only makes sense, from an investment perspective.

It is possible all of this has already been decided behind the scenes, and these small explosions in the media are just the result of that.....
    He has been a role model in many ways, starting with his response to the CR bashing to many other occasions, where he showed strength, dedication ad decency. I have spoken over the years to quite a lot of people, who totally drew inspiration from him.
    He was always tireless in his promotion for his films, too, EVEN though we know, how much he dislikes it.

I believe, its too easy to just discount someone for one bad trait and forget about everything else. Too easy. Lets leave that to the media and maybe try to have the bigger picture. At least around here, where people have a bit more insight into the matter.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Tuulia wrote: »
    00Agent wrote: »

More than "one" word actually. I suppose you either read or remember very selectively if you haven't.

Yes, he says he isn't Bond, isn't particularly brave or cool-headed, or indeed otherwise cool, and that's some "personal agenda"? Um-hum...

He is not even supposed to be a role model as far as I know. He didn't sign up for that job.

Not to agree or disagree with any of the previous posts about Dan's comments but he's a role model whether he likes it or not. That's the price you pay for having a high profile.
    It comes with the job, you can't take it or leave it. Ali, Armstrong (Lance and Neil), Pele etc it comes as part of the package, you either live up to peoples expectations or you don't, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen
This discussion has been closed.