Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The leaks have nothing to do with the way Craig is presenting himself in the media.
    That's a lame excuse dear friend @Gustav_Graves
    I just hate to see all of his tons and tons of hard work over 4 films, and the huge effort by many, many people working on SP undermined by a very stupid remark that will only keep on causing trouble unless he finds a way to shut the damn remark down, and fast.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

That's funny, people here say constantly how praised and loved Craig was by the media and the critics.
    So it was only with SF that this is true?

No its not. Few fans like yourself aren't really fond of Craig but overall I think he has had a lot of adoration from critics and fans throughout his tenure as Bond.

And I don't mean that as a derogatory against you or your opinion by the way.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yes, but Craig is toxic at the boxoffice outside of Bond. The Golden Compass, Defiance, Cowboys vs Aliens, all flops. Cinema goers just see him as James Bond and nothing else despite how good an actor he is. If he quits Bond he is turning his back on mainstream cinema, very sad.
    smitty wrote: »
    I just hate to see all of his tons and tons of hard work over 4 films, and the huge effort by many, many people working on SP undermined by a very stupid remark that will only keep on causing trouble unless he finds a way to shut the damn remark down, and fast.

Dream on, Does he look like he gives a f***
    Yes, but Craig is toxic at the boxoffice outside of Bond. The Golden Compass, Defiance, Cowboys vs Aliens, all flops. Cinema goers just see him as James Bond and nothing else despite how good an actor he is. If he quits Bond he is turning his back on mainstream cinema, very sad.

Moore, Brosnan, and Connery until much later in his career didn't really rack in the tickets outside of Bond either.

I don't think toxic. ...poor choice of projects maybe. Craig in my opinion won't find his stride again until post Bond.

smitty wrote: »
    He better find the right venue to walk back this self destructive remark and quickly. He has damaged himself, and worse, he has likely hurt the film. We will now be reading all current and future articles and possibly reviews of the film dwelling on this stupid remark, instead of positive remarks about the film. Tired, who cares. There is no excuse. He knows the press, he knows this would be the #1 question in every interview. He was incredibly stupid to say it. It's trending everywhere, and the pull quote makes him look arrogant and ungrateful, and that he is just doing Bond for the money.

You should have been that angry and fierce when the SonyLeaks appeared. You should have attacked those criminal basterds who leaked the shit out of that film. I think there is some excuse for Craig's words though. I really think this man has suffered quite a lot of backlash from stuff that didn't even involve him.

If you have such strong words for Mr Craig, you should have equal strong words for Idris Elba. The man who couldn't hold back either.

If you had read any of my posts, you would note that I have repeatedly criticized Elba for his endless self promotion for Bond. And the leaks didn't make Craig say something stupid. A mistake is a mistake and this was a bad one.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Very well said!

I just wonder if EON has any control of the interviews their cast or Craig is doing.
    Or they simply don't care and think after the billion dollar box office that the franchise is unsinkable at this point.

Didn't Lazenby's contract include such rules on how to behave in public and what to say in interviews? If not, then I am still surprised that EON don't coach their Bonds (maybe they do, and just gave up trying to coach Craig) in how to handle interviews (that's something I could imagine them doing), especially if they share Craig's attitude.

I don't pay much attention to Craig in the press, so I don't know if this is a habit of his, but it's certainly a classic case of you know what...

Foot%20in%20Mouth.jpg
    mcdonbb wrote: »

That's funny, people here say constantly how praised and loved Craig was by the media and the critics.

No its not. Few fans like yourself aren't really fond of Craig but overall I think he has had a lot of adoration from critics and fans throughout his tenure as Bond.

It was my impression as well that he was popular since CR, everywhere.

Your comment is absolutely ok because it's true, I like the movies on a whole and not DC in particular and I know I'm in a minority :)
    mcdonbb wrote: »

It was my impression as well that he was popular since CR, everywhere.

Your comment is absolutely ok because it's true, I like the movies on a whole and not DC in particular and I know I'm in a minority :)

And I respect your opinion my friend. That's for saying that.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 212
    For what it's worth Jonathan Ross says "as I understand it" Craig will play 007 in two more films:

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Trial by media, we have no idea what exactly Craig said. Some calling for his head. Mental. So let me ask you if Craig laughed after saying I would rather cut my wrists, do you think they would have put it in that it said in jest no. It's context time and time again journos being selective with wording.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So Craig hates Bond, loves money and is going to kill himself?

Thank you, journalists, eternal truth vigils.
    So Craig hates Bond, loves money and is going to kill himself?

Thank you, journalists, eternal truth vigils.

And all the while bookmakers continue to put out new odds on a new favourite knowing it's like another 2-3 years before Dan is done. Press sell papers the bookie take people's money. Spin at its finest.
    So Idris Elba it is then, for Bond 25.
    Actually Bond 25 is going to be the first bond film to show multiple universes of Bond

The first third of the film the Connery Universe with Benndict Cumbunch as 007
    the Second third bond in the 70's with Street tough (I am not saying he is just making fun of Anthony Horowitz) Idris Elba as 007
    and the final third a harsh dark gritty bond adventure with Michael Fassbender as 007.

Can't wait ;)
    I have from reliable sources (tabloid, no less) that Prince Harry has signed a 13 films contract, and he will play Bond only slightly gay.
    I have from reliable sources (tabloid, no less) that Prince Harry has signed a 13 films contract, and he will play Bond only slightly gay.

Please let this be true, and please full frontal nudity this time, he's so yummy!! =P~ =P~
    or a shower scene in a prison...
  • RC7RC7

Pauline Quirke as Moneypenny.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    RC7 wrote: »

Roy from Corrie as Q
    Red and Yellow playing M&M a cartoon chocolate version as head of MI6
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

Roy from Corrie as Q

If we can get Paul O'Grady in as 'M' we have a full team.
    Queen Elizabeth as M.
  • I think all this is being blown way out of proportion, especially since that interview was given months ago, mere days after he finished filming the movie. And if there's anything we do know about DC, it's that he doesn't do anything just for the money. His passion for the character is clear, and he has taken Bond in new directions that no actor before him has ever done. I think it’s also important to keep in mind that he has a co-producing credit on Spectre, something no other Bond actor has ever had, which only further proves how much time and energy and love he has invested in the film and the character.
  • RC7RC7
    Queen Elizabeth as M.

She can be May Maxwell.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Matthew perry as 007, David schwimmer as Felix leiter. Matt Leblanc as blofeld
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,554
    DC wears his heart on his sleeve, and every interview is different. His mood at the very moment he's asked a question will ultimately lead to how the question will be answered.

I have seen pieces in which DC comes across as nice and genuine. I have seen others where he comes across as arrogant and spiteful. Sometimes he seems accepting with the press; other times he seems standoffish.

As for the "slash my wrists" line. This is what he was getting at, and DC thinks people can read him, and they can't:

He said "AT THE MOMENT." His point is that he just finished a grueling shoot and he can't really think ahead on the next Bond because he's physically and emotionally recovering from SP. I get it. Many of you get it. But I am not sure casual fans would.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Actually Bond 25 is going to be the first bond film to show multiple universes of Bond

The first third of the film the Connery Universe with Benndict Cumbunch as 007
    the Second third bond in the 70's with Street tough (I am not saying he is just making fun of Anthony Horowitz) Idris Elba as 007
    and the final third a harsh dark gritty bond adventure with Michael Fassbender as 007.

Can't wait ;)

Sounds like CLOUD ATLAS Bond. :)
    Just realised his comments on doing it just for the money and also the slash his wrist comment is making headlines everywhere.

That's bad, really. I'm not even cross with Craig, but with EON, do they not have some kind of control over interviews, one should think so.

It will be hard to convince all the people that now are reading that stuff that Craig will be back for a fifth movie.
    Furthermore if he is, this comment will haunt him indefinitely.

That's sad, really.

While this will not hurt Spectre's box office, it will hurt his reputation and his chance of doing another Bond movie.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The way some of you people think Craig should be butt-kissing the series and telling the media a bunch of sweet nothings is strange. He's a human being that gets paid to play dress up and go through the better part of a year making a very gruelling movie. His pay is irrelevant. He's not a robot. If I was nearing the end of a 7 month movie shoot or had just finished it, doing everything he had to do and go through, doing another is the last thing that would be on my mind. Sure, the Bond machine is a huge circus but that doesn't mean one can't be honest, besides, it's not as if Craig is half-arsing his performances or trash talking EoN, the series or the fans. He's basically keeping it real.
    slash his wrist
    That's bad, really.
    While this will not hurt Spectre's box office, it will hurt his reputation and his chance of doing another Bond movie.
    Uh, yeah... I guess.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    The way some of you people think Craig should be butt-kissing the series and telling the media a bunch of sweet nothings is strange. He's a human being that gets paid to play dress up and go through the better part of a year making a very gruelling movie. His pay is irrelevant. He's not a robot. If I was nearing the end of a 7 month movie shoot or had just finished it, doing everything he had to do and go through, doing another is the last thing that would be on my mind. Sure, the Bond machine is a huge circus but that doesn't mean one can't be honest, besides, it's not as if Craig is half-arsing his performances or trash talking EoN, the series or the fans. He's basically keeping it real.

I actually agree. I'm a farmboy ;-). And I can relate a bit to what Craig is saying in the press.

To me personally, I actually think he enjoys all these interviews. With some of them he and the interviewer simply took a few beers! And when Daniel Craig is uttering so many "F**K"-words, I think he is doing that with a smile on his face :).

What I do think however, is the fact that so many people, even EON and Daniel Craig, underestimate at times how insanely big the Bond franchise really is. Tom Cruise (53) has a relatively easy life when it comes down to his "M:I"-franchise. But being Bond is still quite different from being Hunt.

And I also think that the success of "SkyFall" enhanced the killing media scrutiny even more.
This discussion has been closed.