Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

Comments

• fanbond123 wrote: »
    Just to remind people - Craig has told the Guardian he'd only do a fifth film for the money. He has no desire to do a fifth film. No creative desire, no love of the franchise. I would say it's looking less and less likely he'll be back even if SPECTRE rakes in over a billion.

Just to remind people, he literally just finished filming a movie in which he had to have yet another surgery on his body because of the physical toll it takes on him. I've seen athletes who, right after a season ends, talk about how they can't possibly think about the next season yet and that they'll only play if the money is right. Sure enough, when they come back, they play all out. We can expect the same from DC.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Even if he's joking - the wrist slashing is a bit over-the-top but meant as a joke, of course, the timing - three weeks or so before the release of SPECTRE is unfortunate and a tad disrespectful. He's just as human as the rest of us and we all make major goofs. I think he's made one here in terms of the timing of his comments. I can't imagine he's going to win over new fans. Nope.

Yes I agree ...SP doesn't need negatively now.

I think he does respect the series and character ...based on his previous interviews but he sounds either burned or burned out in those recent interviews.

• edited October 2015 Posts: 11,119
    There's some serious George Lazenby-esque backlash in the making these days :-(. Just checking some media websites, like Variety and Hollywood Reporter, and it doesn't look nice...at all :-(. I do think that people/media are taking his answers entirely out of context and make it sound like firm negative statements, while I really thinks he's talking about the film while putting up a big smile.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?lclk=today&search_query=interview+daniel+craig&filters=today

I do think Daniel Craig needs some support now....from all of us fans. And I do think, that some lessons from George Lazenby could be learned also: Be careful when talking with the press.

Because I tell you what's inappropriate: Being an actor who isn't playing James Bond but who is shamelessly USING the contents of the SonyLeaks and the willingness of pulp entertainment media and self-centered social media to make himself known as the "next Bond actor", to actually get a foothold in the Bond franchise.....when that's not even the case yet.

I call thát alarming. And thât is a lack of style, thâ shows not being a gentleman. A good and professional actor would never popularize himself on the back of another actor. He would simply say: "I refuse to speculate about that. There is only one actor now playing Bond, and that's not me!".

And I did not even mention any other actor's name in this topic besides Daniel Craig. But I'm now starting to believe that these SonyLeaks have done some serious damage to, at least the production of this franchise film.....and it's main leading actor, Daniel Craig.

I'm really sad about all this :-(.
    As its been stated, Craig has only just finished filming. His first word reply is "Now?"
    Of course he's going to say he doesn't want to do another right away. Sam Mendes said the same when he finished Sf. Yet he's quoted as saying "you have a break and a holiday and then you reconsider". I believe Craig will complete his 5 picture contract, then we can all worry about what next!
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Yea I am too @GG ...DC was so excited at the start of SP filming.

I think given time and recovery and reflection DC's comments will change.

Just a shame now :(.

Wish he had some of Batista's youthful enthusiasm...
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,661
    It's been mentioned on Yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/daniel-craig-if-i-did-another-bond-movie-it-174901395.html

I dunno, the timing of this is er.. unfortunate! He did say this back in July but the Guardian decided to bring it up now and well, erm... it's out there. Craig said it. :-\"

I don't believe in that many conspiracy theories but the recent "who will replace Craig/Idris Elba should be the next Bond" articles make you wonder if Craig has quit but he's just delaying his announcement? Who knows! Perhaps people within the film biz know/believe he has quit but it's not official?

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

yes, i remember him saying during the Rome shoot how much he loved his job and that "you would have to be numb not to get a kick out of driving an aston martin through the streets of Rome".

now all his fun and greatfulness is gone, just shortly after the shoot is done and he would rather slit his wrists?! and some bullshit about Bond being aganist everything he stands for?! Most people envy him for his life right now (including all of us) and he acts like its just BS.

i am sure he would be totally into it again after some rest but i would really wish, Daniel would have a bit more consistency in his opinions, because sometimes he seems like a cat that is easily distracted by a laserpointer.... just saying stuff from the top of his mind without reflecting if thats actually really his opinion or just some bad mood he is in right now. he should do interviews with more care
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Just to clarify -

The interview was done by Time Out Magazine in July - four days before SPECTRE finished filming:

The exact quotes:
    Can you imagine doing another Bond movie?

‘Now? I’d rather break this glass and slash my wrists. No, not at the moment. Not at all. That’s fine. I’m over it at the moment. We’re done. All I want to do is move on.’

You want to move on from Bond for good?
    ‘I haven’t given it any thought. For at least a year or two, I just don’t want to think about it. I don’t know what the next step is. I’ve no idea. Not because I’m trying to be cagey. Who the *beep* knows? At the moment, we’ve done it. I’m not in discussion with anybody about anything. If I did another Bond movie, it would only be for the money.’

http://www.timeout.com/london/film/daniel-craig-interview-my-advice-to-the-next-james-bond-dont-be-shit

Sounds like he has no interest in doing another one. Well, other than if they pay him a fortune. For some reason no-one in the media mentioned that last line until now. The Guardian picked up on it.

Yes and he has done interviews since saying he is contracted for one more, and would keep going as long as he is physically able. I think I would rather trust in what he said last week than 4 days before filming ended months ago during filming exhausted and having to answer jouno's questions. David Bautista also said in an interview that when he spoke to Dan on set he told him he was going to keep going, contracted for one, but was enjoying himself too much so if he was able who knows.... That Time Out article is old hat and media trying to keep the whole thing going because Spectre and Dan sell newpapers.

So much is being made of this by the UK press, I wouldn't be surprised if Craig puts out a statement citing that the question came in an interview during a physically draining challenge. most porbably in jest to get the point across about how much blood, sweat in tears have gone in to Spectre, and that the article is out of context.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,661
    The issue is by saying "If I did another Bond movie, it would only be for the money.’ we know his heart isn't in it. It changes our perspective. It makes us feel he has no passion for the role. Is this the sort of actor - the sort of view from an actor - we want playing James Bond? I don't think so.

He should have kept quiet about the money.

No matter how well SPECTRE does, we know a fifth Craig Bond film will feature Craig doing it "only for the money." It's a shame we all know that. An ungrateful 'I'll do it if you pay me enough' actor making one more James Bond film. I think it taints the franchise. Irrespective of his acting ability or how good/average/poor SPECTRE is, I feel he should go. He's crossed a line. No going back.
    00Agent wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »

yes, i remember him saying during the Rome shoot how much he loved his job and that "you would have to be numb not to get a kick out of driving an aston martin through the streets of Rome".

now all his fun and greatfulness is gone, just shortly after the shoot is done and he would rather slit his wrists?! and some bullshit about Bond being aganist everything he stands for?! Most people envy him for his life right now (including all of us) and he acts like its just BS.

i am sure he would be totally into it again after some rest but i would really wish, Daniel would have a bit more consistency in his opinions, because sometimes he seems like a cat that is easily distracted by a laserpointer.... just saying stuff from the top of his mind without reflecting if thats actually really his opinion or just some bad mood he is in right now. he should do interviews with more care

I agree. But again, I do think the SonyLeaks really facilitated that I-don-t-give-a-fuck-mentality from Craig. YES, I agree Daniel needs to be a bit smarter during his interviews. He has gotten so...so much creative and executive freedom. Then this is not the professional way.

On the other hand, ever since those emails were leaked in which Amy Pascal basically wanted Idris Elba to become the next Bond because 'he is so sexy'.the narrative has changed for this particular Bond production. Just think how you would feel if you're basically indirectly downgraded by a Sony exec. in favor of someone else. It hardly works positive.

Also, in all honesty during all previous three Bond productions I didn't see so much negative backlash and Daniel mostly was very uplifitng, positive and well-spirited.

If I can give an advise to EON Productions: You should have organized a big press conference in which you fiercefully and publicly supported Daniel Craig and no one else. And in that press conference it should have been spoken out that journalists should not be too much focused on ilegally, criminally obtained emails....and instead should do their own research.
    I can see them having a crisis meeting right now.
    Shame is, that he always PROOVED, that he gives all to the franchise and now has b rought that to a halt with a few sentences spoken without thinking. His fault surely, but a shame. Maybe he has sealed his own fate with this. Even if he wants to come back at some point, can he really after this?
    I agree. But again, I do think the SonyLeaks really facilitated that I-don-t-give-a-fuck-mentality from Craig. YES, I agree Daniel needs to be a bit smarter during his interviews. He has gotten so...so much creative and executive freedom. Then this is not the professional way.

On the other hand, ever since those emails were leaked in which Amy Pascal basically wanted Idris Elba to become the next Bond because 'he is so sexy'.the narrative has changed for this particular Bond production. Just think how you would feel if you're basically indirectly downgraded by a Sony exec. in favor of someone else. It hardly works positive.

Also, in all honesty during all previous three Bond productions I didn't see so much negative backlash and Daniel mostly was very uplifitng, positive and well-spirited.

If I can give an advise to EON Productions: You should have organized a big press conference in which you fiercefully and publicly supported Daniel Craig and no one else. And in that press conference it should have been spoken out that journalists should not be too much focused on ilegally, criminally obtained emails....and instead should do their own research.

Sure, that might have had something to do with it.
    and Craig is also not on best terms with the media, but you know the press: "they'll print anything these days"- Pierce Brosnan
    I think we have to remember that Dan really isn't doing this for someone else or to please anyone. He does it because he loves it. It's arguably one of THE best jobs in the world. He is just saying stuff to dumb journalists and I wouldnt put any store by this stuff at all. He wants to do another, just not straight away.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Quite nice piece....from a website you would not expect this hehe.

I can see them having a crisis meeting right now.
    Shame is, that he always PROOVED, that he gives all to the franchise and now has b rought that to a halt with a few sentences spoken without thinking. His fault surely, but a shame. Maybe he has sealed his own fate with this. Even if he wants to come back at some point, can he really after this?

Yes, you can tell he does put his all into making the films. I don't think the most anti-Craig Bond fan would suggest he doesn't put 100 percent into the role. I think he does care enough to want to make good films. But as you say, when interviewed he can be dismissive of the role. Would seem to suggest he has a love/hate regard for the role. He may have stepped over the mark with his new (July) comments.
    I think sometimes people forget Dan is just a working class boy from the North, you meet one they are all the same. Dry wit, very funny, speak their mind. He will never be a yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir type he's a rebel without a cause.
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think we have to remember that Dan really isn't doing this for someone else or to please anyone. He does it because he loves it. It's arguably one of THE best jobs in the world. He is just saying stuff to dumb journalists and I wouldnt put any store by this stuff at all. He wants to do another, just not straight away.
    I think sometimes people forget Dan is just a working class boy from the North, you meet one they are all the same. Dry wit, very funny, speak their mind. He will never be a yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir type he's a rebel without a cause.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on that one.
    I mean his work speaks for itself.
    But he should have known that the media will have a field day with his last comments.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    00Agent wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on that one.
    I mean his work speaks for itself.
    But he should have known that the media will have a field day with his last comments.

I honestly don't think he will care. Dan wont say why he hates the press so much, had been rumoured his Ex Satsuki Mitchell broke up with him because she was being harassed on the street by journo and couldn't deal with the limelight. Heard it said before that Dan love to Act but he hates the Celebrity and Fame element to it. I do think though he is taken out of context because he is so straight faced when he says stuff jokingly.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

Very well said!

I just wonder if EON has any control of the interviews their cast or Craig is doing.
    Or they simply don't care and think after the billion dollar box office that the franchise is unsinkable at this point.

This gossip all reminds me again of the late 1960's, when "Cubby" had to have crisis press conferences with Connery in Japan during production of "YOLT" or when the media started to 'destroy' the entire person of George Lazenby in the media. It.....saddens me.
    He better find the right venue to walk back this self destructive remark and quickly. He has damaged himself, and worse, he has likely hurt the film. We will now be reading all current and future articles and possibly reviews of the film dwelling on this stupid remark, instead of positive remarks about the film. Tired, who cares. There is no excuse. He knows the press, he knows this would be the #1 question in every interview. He was incredibly stupid to say it. It's trending everywhere, and the pull quote makes him look arrogant and ungrateful, and that he is just doing Bond for the money.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 372
    I know fairy little about DC so I´m saying this based on his attitude in interviews, but he doesn´t seem like the kind of guy who would do anything simply because he loves the money. Maybe he feels like quitting but the argument doesn´t ring true to me. It´s not a very gracious thing to say, even if he´s just messing with the press, but it doesn´t affect his performances.
    It's a decade people, that simply does get overlooked.
    The successor question can be asked after all those years.
    Furthermore he might just have enough of the role and the circus that surrounds it after a decade.

This gossip all reminds me again of the late 1960's, when "Cubby" had to have crisis press conferences with Connery in Japan during production of "YOLT" or when the media started to 'destroy' the entire person of George Lazenby in the media. It.....saddens me.

I think that a very accurate similar scenario, the press never accepted him as Bond until Skyfall when suddenly the same jouno's who wrote "BLOND BOND" hater headlines began singing his praises, but those same jouno's make mountains our of mole hills with his comments, blown way out of context.
    That's funny, people here say constantly how praised and loved Craig was by the media and the critics.
    So it was only with SF that this is true?
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 725
    Which is why he needs to clean this up and fast. He should give a live interview and explain the context. Even if he doesn't plan to come back, this remark hurts the film, let alone his reputation. He just sounds unprofessional.
    smitty wrote: »
    He better find the right venue to walk back this self destructive remark and quickly. He has damaged himself, and worse, he has likely hurt the film. We will now be reading all current and future articles and possibly reviews of the film dwelling on this stupid remark, instead of positive remarks about the film. Tired, who cares. There is no excuse. He knows the press, he knows this would be the #1 question in every interview. He was incredibly stupid to say it. It's trending everywhere, and the pull quote makes him look arrogant and ungrateful, and that he is just doing Bond for the money.

I doubt that! remember this article is from July days before filming ended, and since in interviews he has spoken about his love for Bond, continuing, excitement for Spectre

I do not know why this article from July has suddenly seen light, and I am sure Dan if asked would clarify it was out of context it was in jest. All media spinning things, I have read an article today from a massive UK paper trying to start a campaign for Dan to be removed as Bond and what they call "a fun" Bond coming back. How petty, how ungrateful and how ridiculous.
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2015 Posts: 10,512
    I think that a very accurate similar scenario, the press never accepted him as Bond until Skyfall when suddenly the same jouno's who wrote "BLOND BOND" hater headlines began singing his praises, but those same jouno's make mountains our of mole hills with his comments, blown way out of context.
    That's funny, people here say constantly how praised and loved Craig was by the media and the critics.
    So it was only with SF that this is true?

Unless my memory is failing me, the backlash around Craig all but evaporated on the release of CR. It was lauded. I don't even recall him getting stick for QoS. As an actor he's been largely praised by critics for each of his outings.
    Which is why he needs to clean this up and fast. He should give a live interview and explain the context. Even if he doesn't plan to come back, this remark hurts the film, let alone his reputation. He just sounds unprofessional.

If the film is awesome, this will quickly be forgotten. Most people probably don't give two hoots outside of Bond fandom. What is it they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

You should have been that angry and fierce when the SonyLeaks appeared. You should have attacked those criminal basterds who leaked the shit out of that film. I think there is some excuse for Craig's words though. I really think this man has suffered quite a lot of backlash from stuff that didn't even involve him.

If you have such strong words for Mr Craig, you should have equal strong words for Idris Elba. The man who couldn't hold back either.
This discussion has been closed.