Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I can understand the Craig fans being in fear or worry about Craig not returning after Spectre but think about it calmly for a moment:

EON will not let him go.
    He has signed for a fifth movie.

In 2 years he will be eager to work again.
    He will not resist a record amount of money to do a fifth. As co-producer he earns even more.

I have not heard one single convoncing argument why Spectre should be his last!

So calm down and enjoy.

Michael Wilson is on record as saying his contract is "open." If DC doesn't feel like he has a fifth film in him, Babs and MW will let him walk. There is enough goodwill and mutual respect between those parties for that to happen.

I am not sure it will come to that, however, as I am fairly certain DC will do Bond 25. But it will NOT be because be is contractually obligated. It will be because he wants to do it. After some R&R, DC will be ready to go.
    TripAces wrote: »
    I can understand the Craig fans being in fear or worry about Craig not returning after Spectre but think about it calmly for a moment:

EON will not let him go.
    He has signed for a fifth movie.

In 2 years he will be eager to work again.
    He will not resist a record amount of money to do a fifth. As co-producer he earns even more.

I have not heard one single convoncing argument why Spectre should be his last!

So calm down and enjoy.

Michael Wilson is on record as saying his contract is "open." If DC doesn't feel like he has a fifth film in him, Babs and MW will let him walk. There is enough goodwill and mutual respect between those parties for that to happen.

I am not sure it will come to that, however, as I am fairly certain DC will do Bond 25. But it will NOT be because be is contractually obligated. It will be because he wants to do it. After some R&R, DC will be ready to go.

If....Daniel Craig is really going to leave after "SPECTRE", then I'm going to sleep with the entire Craig-quadrilogy steelbook set in my bed. And I won't let the four steelbooks go.

No serious.......I would have a very hard time.......accepting a new James Bond after "SPECTRE". I personally think there are so many wonderful ideas for a 5th film that we haven't seen in the entire Bond franchise so far. What about a real "mission" for Craig's 5th film, titled Ian Fleming's "Murder On Wheels", in which he travels the globe from grand prix circuit to grand prix circuit. A Bond film that is full of racing (just think about "Grand Prix" (1966), "Rush" (2013)).

Anyway...it's indeed Craig who decides. Please buddy...."STAY!" :-(
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I actually liked this line:

" If you’re asking me what would I do with another Bond movie? I haven’t a clue. Go into space? Let’s do it! They already did it. Let’s do it again."

I'm all for Bond in space once more, although I know I'm in the minority....

I think he's done to be honest. Someone will offer him a role that will be more interesting character wise (I don't think he's had great offers lately - Monument's Men doesn't cut it) and he'll go with it. The studio stuff will play out with EON and they will move forward with someone new and reimagine the role once more most likely.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    I actually liked this line:

" If you’re asking me what would I do with another Bond movie? I haven’t a clue. Go into space? Let’s do it! They already did it. Let’s do it again."

I'm all for Bond in space once more, although I know I'm in the minority....

I think he's done to be honest. Someone will offer him a role that will be more interesting character wise (I don't think he's had great offers lately - Monument's Men doesn't cut it) and he'll go with it. The studio stuff will play out with EON and they will move forward with someone new and reimagine the role once more most likely.

Craig in space. Take my money.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2015 Posts: 7,526
    RC7 wrote: »
    Craig in space. Take my money.

I know a few people on these boards who want to launch Daniel Craig into space, but I think that's in a different context...
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Hear hear, @Birdleson.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,310
    I don't think Bond in space was that bad of an idea...on paper. I mean, he hadn't gone out there before, so why not? It's all about the spectacle after all. As far as how the film turned out...well...

I don't think Bond is going back to space anytime soon, but if they did it (particularly with Craig), I think EON would have their head a little more secured on their shoulders. Anyway, I would hope.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    How will he get there? In a space ship shaped like a giant....?
    I'd like to see Bond in space battling Spectre at its massive lunar operations base. Kind of like YOLT, but bigger and on the moon.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited October 2015 Posts: 16,331
    Not mine. :P

james-bond-moonraker-2-print.jpg
    That's one awesome poster.Perfect. There may be hope for this series yet!
    There's more from the same source. ;)
    james-bond-moonraker-3-print.jpg
    james-bond-moonraker-4-print.jpg
    james-bond-moonraker-5-print.jpg
    Very well done. Do like the idea of Bond on the moon and then maybe a big undersea adventure, and down the road, Bond journeying deep into the earth. Spectre could have lairs in all those places.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 16,331
    While I loved Moonraker, I don't think I want to see Bond in space again. Once was enough, though however if they ever get around to rebooting the Derek Flint series I'd be okay with it. :)

I think Craig's recent contradictory comments could be his way to bring more attention to himself to have fans questioning whether SP will be his last film or not. I think he'll do one more but This will bring attention to him instead of Elba or anyone else trying to steal the Bond attention.
    Every quote I read from him seems to be in context of him doing another Bond RIGHT after he'd completed work on SP. At least that's what I got from it
    I think he is a lock to come back. He's just saying there is nothing on the table right now. There is nothing tangible to discuss. He's waiting to see what Eon comes back with post SP.
    I like the remark about coming back for the money.
    That means he's probably OK with a good Bond-on-mission film, and ready to dispense with the character drama, his past etc. which I think he was ready to do with this film, but the story writers and Mendes found a way to get still more of the character drama in.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 187
    timmer wrote: »
    I think he is a lock to come back. He's just saying there is nothing on the table right now. There is nothing tangible to discuss. He's waiting to see what Eon comes back with post SP.
    I like the remark about coming back for the money.
    That means he's probably OK with a good Bond-on-mission film, and ready to dispense with the character drama, his past etc. which I think he was ready to do with this film, but the story writers and Mendes found a way to get still more of the character drama in.

The media are just constantly twisting his words anyway. They aren't interested in the fact that he most recently said he'd probably be back to do another one since he's contracted for it. They just want more Idris Elba click-bait gossip columns and DC saying he may do one more doesn't garner enough excitement for whatever reason.

And on the off chance he is saying this crap on purpose, it's probably only for 1) free publicity because he can say whatever he likes to the media due to MGW and BB knowing what his heart of hearts truly desires privately or 2) to get a bump in pay.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    Still trying to wrap my head around this:

A government spy was in outer space.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 725
    The press does indeed want more click bate gossip, but Craig has done 10,000 interviews over the decades, and he shouldn't let himself get sucked in to looking bad. He would have to be terribly dumb to not know the #1 question he'd get in every single SP interview would be is he gonna do another Bond film, and #2 who does he think will be the next Bond. How difficult is it to have boring stock answers in place to finese this line of questioning.

I like his Bond, and I like his lack of precious, smarmy actor speak, but, he can be a jerk when he starts to whine about the exhausting work, and the selfies. He's not digging ditches 10 hours a day for 50 years, with no health insurance just to put food on the table.

Someone said of wealthy actors, "No whining on the yacht." And reading all his interviews with every other word a f*** this and a s*** that is also getting old. Come on Craig, shape up. There are lots worse things in life than getting $20 million + for 8 months work, playing James Bond.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Dan can not come out and say, yes I will be back for Bond 25. It comes down to money, SPECTRE blew a rediculous budget, they will need to ensure box office success before the studio whether that still be Sony or Warner Brothers or other, depending on which wins the the bid for rights, puts up a bigger budget so they can attempt to make a bigger movie than the last one. If the studio commit the budget, if Mendes agrees to direct Dan will be back. If Mendes does not it then it will depend on which director. I don't think Dan will risk leaving on a low if Spectre is a high, sure he would not another Foster/QOS situation. But I get this funny feeling Dan will be the one talking Mendes in to completing the story and a Mendes trilogy.
    Dan can not come out and say, yes I will be back for Bond 25. It comes down to money, SPECTRE blew a rediculous budget, they will need to ensure box office success before the studio whether that still be Sony or Warner Brothers or other, depending on which wins the the bid for rights, puts up a bigger budget so they can attempt to make a bigger movie than the last one. If the studio commit the budget, if Mendes agrees to direct Dan will be back. If Mendes does not it then it will depend on which director. I don't think Dan will risk leaving on a low if Spectre is a high, sure he would not another Foster/QOS situation. But I get this funny feeling Dan will be the one talking Mendes in to completing the story and a Mendes trilogy.

Which, if accurate in your speculatory nature, likely means another 3-4 year gap and enough time for DC to "rest up."
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Doesn't read well....what's with all the swearing! Proves he is JUST a good actor.....

I dislike this too

Wow. Way to promote a movie, Dan. He'd rather slash his own wrists? What the...? I know Craig isn't the best at interviews but this was such a stupid thing to say. It's all over the media and makes Craig sound ungracious and, to be honest, disrespectful of the Bond franchise. I think maybe it's time for Barbara Broccoli to give Idris Elba a call.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 95
    I don't think he meant any disrespect to the franchise, but rather questioning his own abilities at the time of the interview and whether he would be able to do the next installment justice.

I agree however, it is not the most polished statement, but that seems to be Dan's way. He always Sounds more dramatic than he probably means to.

Also, someone pointed out elsewhere that this interview is actually not brand new, but rather from July. His comments from a couple of weeks ago where he says he'll do it as long as he is physically able is probably more refelectve of his current outlook.
    He needs advice and guidance on how to do these things.
    Comes across as a real arse.
    And I love him as Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2015 Posts: 10,512
    Dan is trolling and most people are falling for it hook line and sinker. Take a break, sit back and enjoy him with the press.

Mod edit: Swearing is against the forum rules.
    Trolling or not, I don't enjoy him coming across as a dick myself.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,119
    I'm glad all the negative media attention towards this ongoing narrative of 'possible successors of Daniel Craig', is changing into a more positive discussion about really nice ideas for future Bond films..that even might excite Daniel Craig to come back once more.

The 'Bond goes into space' idea:
    I have been thinking of this myself as well. Look, there's quite a big trend in recent years to produce scientifically sound and more realistic sci-fi films again. I'm not talking about space opera, like "Star Trek" and "Star Wars". But I do think movies like:
    --> "Sunshine" (2007, Danny Boyle).
    --> "Moon" (2009, Duncan Jones),
    --> "Europa Report" (2013, Sebastián Cordero),
    --> "The Last Days On Mars" (2013, Ruairi Robinson),
    --> "Elysium" (2013, Neill Blomkamp),
    --> "Oblivion" (2013, Joseph Kosinski),
    --> "Gravity" (2013, Alfonso Cuarón),
    --> "Interstellar" (2014, Christopher Nolan) and even the upcoming....
    --> "The Martian" (2015, Ridley Scott).....
    put the space-based sci-fi genre in a new light. Above movies were, mostly, produced in close cooperation with NASA, thus having a more serious and realistic feel. Moreover, these movies also did tell us something. Like every good sci-fi, they put up a mirror in front of us; a mirror to todays geopolitical world we live in.

Having said that, I think something similar can be done with Bond 25. And as of 2015 it simply isn't that 'cheesy' anymore to go into space. Back in 1979 there wasn't a real space station (exception is perhaps Mir), but nowadays this 'thing' is really in geostationary orbit:
    693259main_jsc2012e219094_big.jpg
    The_International_Space_Station_seen_from_Space_Shuttle_Discovery_after_the_STS-124_mission.jpg

So why not developing a plot/story that is partially based on the ISS?? Christoph Waltz said earlier this week that his role could be compared with Elon Musk. But hey, perhaps Elon Musk is even larger-than-life than the fictional Oberhauser? This man is today's Drax. He co-founded and is co-financing commercial space travel with his 'Space X' rockets at this very moment. Such a guy could be wonderfully translated into a Bond villain, who wants to destabilizing the relationship between Russia and The West, by destabilizing the only real peaceful international community on Earth: the people who are living on the ISS. Perhaps one could do something sinister with a new commercial 'module' that will be docked to the ISS, but that has some sinister, dangerous secrets.

The 'Bond goes Formula One' idea:
    I've been also quite a fan of this prospect. Especially since the novel "Trigger Mortis" got published. It's partially based on Ian Fleming's "Murder On Wheels". And I actually think it's a wonderful title for a Bond film! We simply haven't had a Bond film yet that is entirely set in the lush, luxury and fast world of Grand Prix racing. Movies like:
    --> "Grand Prix" (1966, John Frankenheimer),
    --> "Le Mans" (1971, Lee H. Katzin),
    --> "Days Of Thunder" (1990, Tony Scott),
    --> "Michel Vaillant" (2003, Luc Besson),
    --> "Senna" (2010, documentary, Asif Kapadia), and....
    --> "Rush" (2013, John Howard)......
    treat this subject very nicely. And I do think "Rush" really is one of the highlights in this genre. Formula One car racing was also briefly a setpiece in "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".

One could perfectly devise a plot in which a rogue "S.P.E.C.T.R.E."-member takes Formula One racing to serious and puts "S.P.E.C.T.R.E." too much in the spotlight. The actual man therefore needs to be eliminated in a cruel way....thus leading towards a new Bond adventure in which 007 goes on a plain, solid mission to find out what's happening. And obviously, the film is containing at least two very significant car chases.....in a Formula One car. And in that film 007 gets to race in such a car during a test driving presentation.
    saul-bass-grand-prix-title-sequence-21.jpg
    BTS-Grand-Prix.jpg

As many Formula One racing tracks are located in wonderful, expensive places across the globe, we could have a Bond films with new, fresh exotic locations. Like for instance Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates), Melbourne (Australia), Monza (Italy), Montmeló (Spain), Monte Carlo (Monaco) and Austin, Texas (United States of America). And I haven't even mentioned the pit stop girls, one of which could be developed into a fun and playful Bond-girl.

Hopefully EON Productions will have a serious look at these two ideas ;-). I think Daniel Craig could then certainly be persuaded to come back after "SPECTRE".
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Let's put it this way, if Craig does return he'll be the second oldest actor to star in an official EON Bond film, behind Roger Moore. Think about that for a minute...
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    you guys are forgetting that Daniel is a character actor, he cares mostly about the emotional journey of the character he is playing. So far every movie he made had Bond at its story center, and some kind of character progression (CR: big love story, hates women at the end QoS: Revenge, till he realizes that he's not in the mood anymore SF: Mommy/Daddy issues)
    and he said in the interview that all other ideas he had, he put into Spectre and that his idea tank is empty.
    So whatever movie he would do now, if it is really just mission based, he would not be in it as an actor. that why he is saying he would only do it for the money, and who knows, something better might come along for him.
This discussion has been closed.