Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Let's put it this way, if Craig does return he'll be the second oldest actor to star in an official EON Bond film, behind Roger Moore. Think about that for a minute...

And because his films follow a loose trajectory, seeing the transition from 38 year old in CR to 50 year old in B25 makes perfect sense.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    SonofSean wrote: »
    Wow. Way to promote a movie, Dan. He'd rather slash his own wrists? What the...? I know Craig isn't the best at interviews but this was such a stupid thing to say. It's all over the media and makes Craig sound ungracious and, to be honest, disrespectful of the Bond franchise. I think maybe it's time for Barbara Broccoli to give Idris Elba a call.

It's not like this hasn't happened before though. Connery himself promoted DAF by going around stating in interviews that he was only coming back as a one off for the money.
    Let's put it this way, if Craig does return he'll be the second oldest actor to star in an official EON Bond film, behind Roger Moore. Think about that for a minute...

I think it's not really worth comparing Roger Moore's age with Daniel Craig's age. And they are approaching the role of 007 from a totally different perspective. Craig is way more involved in the franchise, creatively and physically. Hence he's credited as co-producer. Moore simply 'did' one Bond film every two years, because the productions in those days seemed to be slightly less comlex, less elaborate as today's Bond productions.

And even for such an approach, I think age should not matter. Look to Tom Cruise and how joyous he is about 'his' own Mission: Impossible-franchise. Both producer, 'stunt man', creative driving force and actor he also prefers three to four year breaks between films. And he still loves every inch of it. And Tom Cruise is a whopping......53 years old.

I would love to know if Daniel Craig has actually talked about this with Tom Cruise.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

I think it's not really worth comparing Roger Moore's age with Daniel Craig's age. And they are approaching the role of 007 from a totally different perspective. Craig is way more involved in the franchise, creatively and physically. Hence he's credited as co-producer. Moore simply 'did' one Bond film every two years, because the productions in those days seemed to be slightly less comlex, less elaborate as today's Bond productions.

And even for such an approach, I think age should not matter. Look to Tom Cruise and how joyous he is about 'his' own Mission: Impossible-franchise. Both producer, 'stunt man', creative driving force and actor he also prefers three to four year breaks between films. And he still loves every inch of it. And Tom Cruise is a whopping......53 years old.

I would love to know if Daniel Craig has actually talked about this with Tom Cruise.

The difference is Craig is an actor and tom Cruise is a movie star. Cruise can actually make a film successful by having his face on the poster. Craig has become known as Bond, but his attempts to break out of Bond have been largely commercial failures. Look at The Golden Compass, Cowboys vs Aliens etc. Craig has no star power outside of Bond.

If Craig leaves Bond, the only work he will have is low budget indie stuff, Shakespeare on the stage (with other hasbeens), or popping up in action comedies as a wink wink reference.
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2015 Posts: 10,512

DC being a co-producer has nothing to do with it and the productions were no different to how they are these days. They were incredibly complex, make no mistake. The only thing to consider in this instance is that when Roger played the role there was no narrative continuity, each film was its own time capsule in which 007 appeared. He was pretty much the same man in each film with no mention of his age; a timeless being. With DC there are explicit references to age and its repercussions from CR thru SF, putting more onus on the idea of a character arc across films. This is the key reason DC would pull off being an older Bond. It's a continuation of the same arc.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Dan's games with the press are fun, he will tell one magazine one week, "I am contracted for one more", "I will do it for as long as I am physically able", the next he is saying " I would rather slash my wrists" now the latter has been taken out of context, what Dan is saying right now he wouldn't do another, he's had a Bond overdose doing Spectre. I don't think it's fair the way these interviews are spun. I bet he is reading it saying "that not what I F$C£king said!". He hates the PR work, he finds it tedious and he has a bit of fun with journos.

A real interview and his thoughts when he's relaxed around a journo read Esquire

http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/film-tv/8782/daniel-craig-interview/
    RC7 wrote: »

DC being a co-producer has nothing to do with it and the productions were no different to how they are these days. They were incredibly complex, make no mistake. The only thing to consider in this instance is that when Roger played the role there was no narrative continuity, each film was its own time capsule in which 007 appeared. He was pretty much the same man in each film with no mention of his age; a timeless being. With DC there are explicit references to age and its repercussions from CR thru SF, putting more onus on the idea of a character arc across films. This is the key reason DC would pull off being an older Bond. It's a continuation of the same arc.

Do you think that the productions actually have...changed a bit? Didn't they become slightly more complex from a financial and/or casting perspective? Not to mention the kind of crew/cast you're hiring. Perhaps a Sam Mendes is, financially at least, more difficult to contract than a Martin Campbell. Not to mention scheduling conflicts with A-list actors. A Javier Bardem or Christoph Waltz is perhaps also more difficult to contract/cast than a Matthieu Amalric or Mads Mikkelsen.

One more question: You do think that Daniel Craig could easily do a 5th and perhaps 6th Bond film to....continue this journey/arc? Seeing him growing older as well?
    You know the hilarious thing, If I walked in to a UK bookmaker and put £50K on Daniel Craig doing the next Bond movie, the press would run a story saying he would be favourite to be Bond in the next film. That's how retarded our media are.
  • RC7RC7

Do you think that the productions actually have...changed a bit? Didn't they become slightly more complex from a financial and/or casting perspective? Not to mention the kind of crew/cast you're hiring. Perhaps a Sam Mendes is, financially at least, more difficult to contract than a Martin Campbell. Not to mention scheduling conflicts with A-list actors. A Javier Bardem or Christoph Waltz is perhaps also more difficult to contract/cast than a Matthieu Amalric or Mads Mikkelsen.

One more question: You do think that Daniel Craig could easily do a 5th and perhaps 6th Bond film to....continue this journey/arc? Seeing him growing older as well?

They're more complex in the sense life is ever more complex, that's just the way of things, but it doesn't have any relevance to the Moore comparison above imo.

I think Dan could maybe do one more. It really depends how this film ends. I think six would be a push, but who knows? Dan getting older doesn't bother me as the stories can accomodate it. It really depends on whether that story is decent and necessary because his final film has to finish the arc.
    You know the hilarious thing, If I walked in to a UK bookmaker and put £50K on Daniel Craig doing the next Bond movie, the press would run a story saying he would be favourite to be Bond in the next film. That's how retarded our media are.

There are times I would have loved to be a 34 year old chap in the 1960's or 1970's....instead of this godawful social media-era in which every person thinks he's the president of planet Earth
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 5,185

I think Dan could maybe do one more. It really depends how this film ends. I think six would be a push, but who knows? Dan getting older doesn't bother me as the stories can accomodate it. It really depends on whether that story is decent and necessary because his final film has to finish the arc.

Exactly! that is why i am still unsure if i want him to return for a 25th.
    This movie might be the perfect ending to his story arc.
    no point in starting another, smaller story arc with Craig, just for one more movie.
    Would be better then to cast another guy.

I will wait until i see Spectre to decide if i want him back or not.

There are times I would have loved to be a 34 year old chap in the 1960's or 1970's....instead of this godawful social media-era in which every person thinks he's the president of planet Earth

But there were no steel books in the 70's, you would be devastated. :)

But there were no steel books in the 70's, you would be devastated. :)

Hehehehe, that is so so true :-P.
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2015 Posts: 10,512

My school teachers always used to tell me I was born in the wrong era. Remember when selfies and facebook 'likes' weren't a thing and you could go to a pub or a club where absolutely no one was using a phone? Christ, I miss those days.

My school teachers always used to tell me I was born in the wrong era. Remember when selfies and facebook 'likes' weren't a thing and you could go to a pub or a club where absolutely no one was using a phone? Christ, I miss those days.

The last sucks, the future is scary. The time to be is NOW! B-)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

The difference is Craig is an actor and tom Cruise is a movie star. Cruise can actually make a film successful by having his face on the poster. Craig has become known as Bond, but his attempts to break out of Bond have been largely commercial failures. Look at The Golden Compass, Cowboys vs Aliens etc. Craig has no star power outside of Bond.

If Craig leaves Bond, the only work he will have is low budget indie stuff, Shakespeare on the stage (with other hasbeens), or popping up in action comedies as a wink wink reference.

The fact he was offered these roles in the first place tells a different story surely? Some actors I can name don't ever get offered the lead roles in big budget Hollywood films.

Believe me Connery made many, many critical and commercial disasters, but it didn't stop him being hired.

Craig turns a lot down for whatever reasons, but he will continue to be offered the big roles, I assure you.

The future DOES scare me though. I think we have arrived on the brink of an era that is already described in SciFi-films like "Her" and "Ex-Machina". The Elon Musk's, Mark Zuckerberg's, Julian Assange's and Richard Branson's of today in fact are the destroyers of tomorrow's/our future society. If capitalism, greed and money even knows how to cooperate with dictatorships and people who lack any enlightened ethical perspective on things...then we have a big problem.

The future DOES scare me though. I think we have arrived on the brink of an era that is already described in SciFi-films like "Her" and "Ex-Machina". The Elon Musk's, Mark Zuckerberg's, Julian Assange's and Richard Branson's of today in fact are the destroyers of tomorrow's/our future society. If capitalism, greed and money even knows how to cooperate with dictatorships and people who lack any enlightened ethical perspective on things...then we have a big problem.

Indeed. Still, a good Rog Bond romp is all I need to keep smiling. :D
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138

We are going of subject, but just to add, when 1% of the worlds population owns 99% of the worlds wealth that tells you something is broken.

We are going of subject, but just to add, when 1% of the worlds population owns 99% of the worlds wealth that tells you something is broken.

Good job Corbyn will solve this

Good job Corbyn will solve this

I don't think so, with some of the revelations about to surface about him he will struggle to get a vote. IRA sympathiser, A man who said it was a tragedy Bin laden was killed. He does not have the support of his own MP's, if he backs down on Trident then he would be a hypocrite, as his whole argument is end austerity, spend Trident money on people for food, clothes, health and education. If he stands by his position on Trident renewal, he loses further support from his party, and goes on the next election campaign with the Torries shouting "Vote Corbyn if you want a country who can't not defend itself".

Corbyn is a protest vote gone to far, a false prophet out of his depth, he didn't expect to win the Labour leadership race, his own party are conspiring against him, he hasn't a hope in hell, the UK media will finish the job. You can't fight establishment and win. Corbyn won't change anything, not even in the UK never mind the world.

Only thing governments can do is raise corporate taxes which they won't do as companies will move their HQ elsewhere to avoid paying that level of tax. And to stop tax evasion and avoidance pumping the money back in to community.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I agree with those who suggest contracts mean nothing.

DC is in great shape for his age, but Bond films are not what they were in the 70's/80's. They are far more physical these days (and have to be, as the benchmark has moved now with Cruise/Damon etc.).

The Bond actor has to look the part physically (something I think Brosnan struggled with because he was a little slight framed if tall.....even next to Stephens in the fencing fight an older Brosnan looked a little past it imho).

I'm sure DC is aware of this. So even if he remains in fine shape for B25, it will increasingly become difficult for him to be credible in a physically demanding role like this with the audience, and I think first and foremost he wants to remain credible, because as a 'character actor' that is critical to his own perception of & satisfaction with his creative output. Hence the comment about only coming back for money if he does.

Bottom line: I think the only way he comes back is if they move ahead quickly with a sequel to SP, or if they make B25 about an 'older' Bond (arguably they already treaded on that in SF though). I don't see him coming back for B25 as a standalone 'fun' mission on Mars or space or whatever....I think he'd much rather call it quits with his 4 film Bond 'character arc'.

PS: I agree on Corbyn - he will not be able to really change anything, but the fact that he made it to opposition leader is a protest vote in itself. I see Neil Kinnock all over again electorally to some degree here.....now if only Bernie Sanders can topple 'Billary' for the US democratic nom that would be something (the establishment is panicking over there......so much that they are even praying for Biden to step in and prevent the catastrophe).
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,600
    I wonder if there is room for one more DC Bond where he relies more on brain rather than muscle, more of a Spy thriller based on intrigue etc. Its still possible to have action re car chases , explosions etc, and just tone down the individual stunts (or use stand ins) , if SP does well, I am sure they will look at ways to get him back. Its not as if he has lost all credibility re his age and there are some cracking more mature potential Bond woman out there. With a really good script and a great director, its not that hard to imagine a quality outcome.
    PS has the idea been discussed of a Bond finishing when we know its his last, some form of goodbye scene (not breaking the 4th wall) but just something symbolic where he walks into the distance. I think there is a lot of love for DC and it would make a poignant ending (followed by "Bond will return" in the credits of course), are there commercial resaons why we can never have a Bond where we all know its his last?
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,661
    His new Guardian comments are awful. So ungrateful sounding:
    “ I’d rather break this glass and slash my wrists ... I’m over it at the moment. We’re done. All I want to do is move on.”

He later clarified: “For at least a year or two, I just don’t want to think about it ... If I did another Bond movie, it would only be for the money.”
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/08/daniel-craig-id-rather-slash-my-wrists-than-do-another-bond-movie

Ergh. Please, just go. You've done your fair share of films. Please go, you ungrateful sounding actor. I don't see how any fan can support the current Bond actor when he expresses himself like this, with such obvious disregard for the franchise.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I'm glad all the negative media attention towards this ongoing narrative of 'possible successors of Daniel Craig', is changing into a more positive discussion about really nice ideas for future Bond films..that even might excite Daniel Craig to come back once more.

The 'Bond goes into space' idea:
    I have been thinking of this myself as well. Look, there's quite a big trend in recent years to produce scientifically sound and more realistic sci-fi films again. I'm not talking about space opera, like "Star Trek" and "Star Wars". But I do think movies like:
    --> "Sunshine" (2007, Danny Boyle).
    --> "Moon" (2009, Duncan Jones),
    --> "Europa Report" (2013, Sebastián Cordero),
    --> "The Last Days On Mars" (2013, Ruairi Robinson),
    --> "Elysium" (2013, Neill Blomkamp),
    --> "Oblivion" (2013, Joseph Kosinski),
    --> "Gravity" (2013, Alfonso Cuarón),
    --> "Interstellar" (2014, Christopher Nolan) and even the upcoming....
    --> "The Martian" (2015, Ridley Scott).....
    put the space-based sci-fi genre in a new light. Above movies were, mostly, produced in close cooperation with NASA, thus having a more serious and realistic feel. Moreover, these movies also did tell us something. Like every good sci-fi, they put up a mirror in front of us; a mirror to todays geopolitical world we live in.

Having said that, I think something similar can be done with Bond 25. And as of 2015 it simply isn't that 'cheesy' anymore to go into space. Back in 1979 there wasn't a real space station (exception is perhaps Mir), but nowadays this 'thing' is really in geostationary orbit:
    693259main_jsc2012e219094_big.jpg
    The_International_Space_Station_seen_from_Space_Shuttle_Discovery_after_the_STS-124_mission.jpg

So why not developing a plot/story that is partially based on the ISS?? Christoph Waltz said earlier this week that his role could be compared with Elon Musk. But hey, perhaps Elon Musk is even larger-than-life than the fictional Oberhauser? This man is today's Drax. He co-founded and is co-financing commercial space travel with his 'Space X' rockets at this very moment. Such a guy could be wonderfully translated into a Bond villain, who wants to destabilizing the relationship between Russia and The West, by destabilizing the only real peaceful international community on Earth: the people who are living on the ISS. Perhaps one could do something sinister with a new commercial 'module' that will be docked to the ISS, but that has some sinister, dangerous secrets.

The 'Bond goes Formula One' idea:
    I've been also quite a fan of this prospect. Especially since the novel "Trigger Mortis" got published. It's partially based on Ian Fleming's "Murder On Wheels". And I actually think it's a wonderful title for a Bond film! We simply haven't had a Bond film yet that is entirely set in the lush, luxury and fast world of Grand Prix racing. Movies like:
    --> "Grand Prix" (1966, John Frankenheimer),
    --> "Le Mans" (1971, Lee H. Katzin),
    --> "Days Of Thunder" (1990, Tony Scott),
    --> "Michel Vaillant" (2003, Luc Besson),
    --> "Senna" (2010, documentary, Asif Kapadia), and....
    --> "Rush" (2013, John Howard)......
    treat this subject very nicely. And I do think "Rush" really is one of the highlights in this genre. Formula One car racing was also briefly a setpiece in "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".

One could perfectly devise a plot in which a rogue "S.P.E.C.T.R.E."-member takes Formula One racing to serious and puts "S.P.E.C.T.R.E." too much in the spotlight. The actual man therefore needs to be eliminated in a cruel way....thus leading towards a new Bond adventure in which 007 goes on a plain, solid mission to find out what's happening. And obviously, the film is containing at least two very significant car chases.....in a Formula One car. And in that film 007 gets to race in such a car during a test driving presentation.
    saul-bass-grand-prix-title-sequence-21.jpg
    BTS-Grand-Prix.jpg

As many Formula One racing tracks are located in wonderful, expensive places across the globe, we could have a Bond films with new, fresh exotic locations. Like for instance Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates), Melbourne (Australia), Monza (Italy), Montmeló (Spain), Monte Carlo (Monaco) and Austin, Texas (United States of America). And I haven't even mentioned the pit stop girls, one of which could be developed into a fun and playful Bond-girl.

Hopefully EON Productions will have a serious look at these two ideas ;-). I think Daniel Craig could then certainly be persuaded to come back after "SPECTRE".

You know its funny because Elon Musk is a big Bond fan.

The Tesle S has an app that features the Lotus from TSWLM. I can't exactly remember what the app does ...I'm sure the car isn't submersible though.

Talk about "shocking ...simply shocking."

Just to remind people - Craig has told the Guardian he'd only do a fifth film for the money. He has no desire to do a fifth film. No creative desire, no love of the franchise. I would say it's looking less and less likely he'll be back even if SPECTRE rakes in over a billion.
    I think, he should go to like Graham Norton weith his wrists basndaged and poke some fun on the subject. Like this, they can talk about it and maybe take some fire out of it.
    Even if he's joking - the wrist slashing is a bit over-the-top but meant as a joke, of course, the timing - three weeks or so before the release of SPECTRE is unfortunate and a tad disrespectful. He's just as human as the rest of us and we all make major goofs. I think he's made one here in terms of the timing of his comments. I can't imagine he's going to win over new fans. Nope.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I don't think he means or has no love for the franchise...

I agree with you though @fanbond123.
    Just to clarify -

The interview was done by Time Out Magazine in July - four days before SPECTRE finished filming:

The exact quotes:
    Can you imagine doing another Bond movie?

‘Now? I’d rather break this glass and slash my wrists. No, not at the moment. Not at all. That’s fine. I’m over it at the moment. We’re done. All I want to do is move on.’

You want to move on from Bond for good?
    ‘I haven’t given it any thought. For at least a year or two, I just don’t want to think about it. I don’t know what the next step is. I’ve no idea. Not because I’m trying to be cagey. Who the *beep* knows? At the moment, we’ve done it. I’m not in discussion with anybody about anything. If I did another Bond movie, it would only be for the money.’

http://www.timeout.com/london/film/daniel-craig-interview-my-advice-to-the-next-james-bond-dont-be-shit

Sounds like he has no interest in doing another one. Well, other than if they pay him a fortune. For some reason no-one in the media mentioned that last line until now. The Guardian picked up on it.
This discussion has been closed.