#08 choose between two options: CONNERY-DALTON-BROSNAN ...or... LAZENBY-MOORE-CRAIG

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    A very tough decision for me. OHMSS is the best the series has too offer, but TLD is so rewatchable, and I feel like giving up both Dalton performances is a step too far. In many ways Dalton and Lazenby are opposites like Moore and Connery are. Lazenby is good with the women and throws a good punch, whereas Dalton is weak in both these areas, but carries an effortless intensity that Lazenby lacks, often seeming quite innocent and aloof for someone with a license to kill.

I'll go with keeping TLD and LTK, just simply because I prefer my Bond to react to losing someone with anger and resolve rather than with sadness.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    TLD/LTK. Only for TLD though. Detest LTK.

Much as I like OHMSS, TLD is one of my all time favourites.
    That's an interesting perspective. I don't think I've come across someone who really adores one of Dalton's but very much dislikes the other.
    Lazenby is good with the women and throws a good punch, whereas Dalton is weak in both these areas, but carries an effortless intensity that Lazenby lacks, often seeming quite innocent and aloof for someone with a license to kill.
    That's a good assessment of both of them in my view. I concur.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    TLD The last "classic" cold war era Bond.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    talos7 wrote: »
    TLD The last "classic" cold war era Bond.

Yes cold war. Bond is a cold war creation and many miss out on Dalton playing him in a cold war mentality way., "Death to spies, minister."
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I couldn't let OHMSS go for TLD or LTK. Yeah Dalton is great Bond in two of the worst films of the series IMO.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,243
    A very tough decision for me. OHMSS is the best the series has too offer, but TLD is so rewatchable, and I feel like giving up both Dalton performances is a step too far. In many ways Dalton and Lazenby are opposites like Moore and Connery are. Lazenby is good with the women and throws a good punch, whereas Dalton is weak in both these areas, but carries an effortless intensity that Lazenby lacks, often seeming quite innocent and aloof for someone with a license to kill.

I'll go with keeping TLD and LTK, just simply because I prefer my Bond to react to losing someone with anger and resolve rather than with sadness.

I disagree about Dalton being weaker with women. He is a dominant personality and played how Bond in the books was with women.

Also we forget he took over Bond in the safe sex era due to the Aids hysteria in 1986. Bond was a target by the media of promoting unsafe sex.

It was the producers who wanted to tone it down. He did an interview saying he wouldn't have minded grappling the ladies more.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    acoppola wrote: »

I disagree about Dalton being weaker with women. He is a dominant personality and played how Bond in the books was with women.

Also we forget he took over Bond in the safe sex era due to the Aids hysteria in 1986. Bond was a target by the media of promoting unsafe sex.

It was the producers who wanted to tone it down. He did an interview saying he wouldn't have minded grappling the ladies more.

I don't doubt it, but all we have to go off is what's on screen.

I don't doubt it, but all we have to go off is what's on screen.

I think the romanticism of TLD was a nice temporary change for the series. I am surprised the books are less referenced than the films. Who is the character that created a legendary film series and the source where it all began?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I didn't see any romanticism in TLD. He instantly goes for the girl and the yacht and lies to Kara. More like manipulation to me. Then again Kara didn't have a brain in her head until the last act so that's understandable.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I didn't see any romanticism in TLD. He instantly goes for the girl and the yacht and lies to Kara. More like manipulation to me. Then again Kara didn't have a brain in her head until the last act so that's understandable.

I was referring to Vienna, particularly the theme park where he seduces Kara like a first date. Very smooth. The short story, The Living Daylights by Fleming shows Bond having a schoolboy crush on the female cellist. That was well captured.

But you are right about the manipulation and we see the switch off after Saunders death.

bondjames wrote: »

That's an interesting perspective. I don't think I've come across someone who really adores one of Dalton's but very much dislikes the other.
    Lazenby is good with the women and throws a good punch, whereas Dalton is weak in both these areas, but carries an effortless intensity that Lazenby lacks, often seeming quite innocent and aloof for someone with a license to kill.

Im one of them,but the other way round : I like LTK and have no time for TLD....

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm the same way. I really enjoy Licence to Kill, It's a top 10 for me but The Living Daylights, it seems to get worse with every viewing I'm afraid. As much as I'd hate to lose LTK I'd still take OHMSS over both of them any day.
    I'm the same way. I really enjoy Licence to Kill, It's a top 10 for me but The Living Daylights, it seems to get worse with every viewing I'm afraid. As much as I'd hate to lose LTK I'd still take OHMSS over both of them any day.

Agreed...LTK sits nicely at #8 ...TLD is rock bottom at #24...

• GBFGBF
    barryt007 wrote: »

Im one of them,but the other way round : I like LTK and have no time for TLD....

I don't care much about LTK. It is solid but has absolutely no Bondian flair. Rather feels like Lethal Weapon 3. TLD however is the last and imo best cold war Bond film.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    LTK really shows its age the more I see it. It's one of the films where the villain is a better character than Bond, who also is good by the way. But, the television movie-like ratio and camera measurements as well as the tired look and the performances of the supporting cast really lets he film down. Whereas TLD gets better every time I see it. It's the From Russia With Love of the 1980s.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Birdleson wrote: »

I'm also in that camp. Not a Top Ten, but LTK is almost there. After the first 45 minutes (approximately) I find TLD to be very dull.
    Me too actually. LTK just (and I mean just) cracks my top 10, but TLD gets worse with every viewing for me. It starts off in a way that evokes the classics, but then collapses faster than any film bar SP & TND later on imho.
    TLD does have its dull moments and the plot doesn't really amount to all that much, but there is a classiness to the film that's missing in LTK.

I'm also in that camp. Not a Top Ten, but LTK is almost there. After the first 45 minutes (approximately) I find TLD to be very dull.
    Me too actually. LTK just (and I mean just) cracks my top 10, but TLD gets worse with every viewing for me. It starts off in a way that evokes the classics, but then collapses faster than any film bar SP & TND later on imho.

I will agree vis-a-vis TLD that the first half is spectacular. Dalton is magnificent as a Cold-War Bond. It took me almost 30 years to finally like the second half. I watched it last November with my wife, who was seeing it for the first time. And we got to the half-way point closer to the Afghanistan scenes. Well, I suggested to her to pause the film, as it was late. But, she says to me, you cannot stop it now! This is so good. She is a huge Harry Potter fan, and said TLD was better.

My humble point, is that I expected her to be in the middle of the road, in terms of liking the film. But, it amazed me how her enthusiasm made me watch it as a whole entity as opposed to stopping at the half-way point like I used to.

I will agree vis-a-vis TLD that the first half is spectacular. Dalton is magnificent as a Cold-War Bond. It took me almost 30 years to finally like the second half. I watched it last November with my wife, who was seeing it for the first time. And we got to the half-way point closer to the Afghanistan scenes. Well, I suggested to her to pause the film, as it was late. But, she says to me, you cannot stop it now! This is so good. She is a huge Harry Potter fan, and said TLD was better.

My humble point, is that I expected her to be in the middle of the road, in terms of liking the film. But, it amazed me how her enthusiasm made me watch it as a whole entity as opposed to stopping at the half-way point like I used to.
    I must watch it again and see if I can get a new perspective on it. With Afghanistan, I think the base setting is too 'open' if that makes any sense, and a bit too long. It sort of seems like a 'war battle' rather than something one expects in a Bond film. More 'Indy' like. Lots of explosions and perhaps a little too much comedy thrown in. I think if they had moved from the open setting to a more contained location inside the base somewhere along the way for a finale it would have upped the close quarters tension. Even more in the plane (which was great) would have worked. Or alternatively, if that base scene was filmed at night, it might have created a more suspenseful atmosphere.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It's the Afghanistan segment that drops the film down for me, too. But, the magic of the prior locales and events are quite brilliant.

I must watch it again and see if I can get a new perspective on it. With Afghanistan, I think the base setting is too 'open' if that makes any sense, and a bit too long. It sort of seems like a 'war battle' rather than something one expects in a Bond film. More 'Indy' like. Lots of explosions and perhaps a little too much comedy thrown in. I think if they had moved from the open setting to a more contained location inside the base somewhere along the way for a finale it would have upped the close quarters tension. Even more in the plane (which was great) would have worked. Or alternatively, if that base scene was filmed at night, it might have created a more suspenseful atmosphere.

I think it has a bit of the OP template, with the future Al-Qaeda. However, I think TLD second-half in terms of western foreign policy is an interesting study for future generations. I think TLD may be The Taliban's favourite Bond movie :)

I think it has a bit of the OP template, with the future Al-Qaeda. However, I think TLD second-half in terms of western foreign policy is an interesting study for future generations. I think TLD may be The Taliban's favourite Bond movie :)
    That's an interesting point. Yes, the Afghan resistance was a willing pawn in a great power 'back and forth', and I can see a Ukranian or Syrian rogue being utilized in a future entry similarly.

That's an interesting point. Yes, the Afghan resistance was a willing pawn in a great power 'back and forth', and I can see a Ukranian or Syrian rogue being utilized in a future entry similarly.

Indeed. Watching TLD second-half, and it is scary how the same mistakes politically are being made as we write. Freedom fighter or rebel is a euphemism for......????? :)

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Indeed. Watching TLD second-half, and it is scary how the same mistakes politically are being made as we write. Freedom fighter or rebel is a euphemism for......????? :)

To quote one of the more amusing characters in DAD:

"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."
    GoldenGun wrote: »

I remember that. That was the most serious comment in the film, which quickly dropped the narrative and focused on umbrellas in outer space. They thought it was still 1979, or at least wrote the film that way.

I remember that. That was the most serious comment in the film, which quickly dropped the narrative and focused on umbrellas in outer space. They thought it was still 1979, or at least wrote the film that way.
    They tried to homage the entire canon (for the 40th anniversary) in one film and ended up with an entertaining comedic mess. Still a lot of fun though.

They tried to homage the entire canon (for the 40th anniversary) in one film and ended up with an entertaining comedic mess. Still a lot of fun though.

Brosnan's acting when he gets electrocuted by Gustav Graves in the plane was Oscar-worthy. And as the helicopter was falling to earth, he did Moore eyebrow raising than Moore in seven films.

DAD was responsible for me running to my local HMV shop to buy an old Bond film, after that horrific experience. DAF is Doctor Zhivago in comparisson!

Brosnan's acting when he gets electrocuted by Gustav Graves in the plane was Oscar-worthy. And as the helicopter was falling to earth, he did Moore eyebrow raising than Moore in seven films.
    DAD is such a hoot. Sometimes I'm laughing at it (frequently actually) and sometimes I'm laughing with it, but there's not denying the comedic elements.

Here is one of the legendary sequences.

DAD is such a hoot. Sometimes I'm laughing at it (frequently actually) and sometimes I'm laughing with it, but there's not denying the comedic elements.

Here is one of the legendary sequences.

I must say this is the film that finally made Brosnan stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the unbeatable Sean Connery!

And the surfing on the waves with the parachute made me believe for a second I had been drugged in the cinema, for I could not believe what I was watching!

I literally went back to the cinema the next day, hoping that I was dreaming during my first viewing.