Is Pierce Brosnan really all that bad ??

Comments

Darnit I commented on the wrong thread.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Brosnan was really good. Love Tomorrow never dies. A fast paced rocket of a movie
    Getafix wrote: »
    Kostas_P wrote: »
    I think Brosnan was, on all his Bond movies, anxious or even frightened on delivering a good acting. And that shows. It's like chasing a woman you fancy and when you finally got her, you have fears of might not pleasing her.

Interesting. I definitely think fear pervades a lot of Brosnans Bond performances - he was overwhelmed by the role. Definitely some kind of performance anxiety going on.

I replied to this on another thread:
    And yet no Bond actor was ever accepted as easily when he got cast. Not even Moore. Brosnan was plebiscited before they even started shooting. That's why I think his tenure ended up disappointing many. And that's also why I don't think GE would have been as successful with Dalton.

Basically, there was a lot of projection on the public to Brosnan when he became Bond. This is partially why, I think, people saw his tenure in a far more critical eye after it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Nope. Brosnan is the Best. ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    Nope. Brosnan is the Best. ;)
    Brosnan rocks Bond!!!
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Loved tomorrow never dies as his best
    Spottiswoode managed to get the best performance out of Brosnan IMO and crafted the best Bond movie of that under performing era. They should have got him back for TWINE which is probably actually the worst in the series - at least DAD doesn't make you fall asleep.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Is Pierce Brosnan really that bad ? ....... NO! :))
    Pierce has been really good in some of his non Bond roles. He's a better Bond in November Man than he actually was as Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Loved tomorrow never dies as his best
    Spottiswoode managed to get the best performance out of Brosnan IMO and crafted the best Bond movie of that under performing era. They should have got him back for TWINE which is probably actually the worst in the series - at least DAD doesn't make you fall asleep.

Precisely how I feel. i saw it on the big screen back in 1997, and really enjoyed it. TND has always been near my top 5 Bond films, either in the top 5, or just outside it. I still enjoy it today, even the often maligned 2nd half.

No it gives you insomnia. I am no big fan of TWINE (anymore, I used to defend it a lot, but his director became so bloody arrogant about it I became more critical, but I digress), that said at least they tried. DAD they went lazy and downright vile.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,189
    If TWINE puts people to sleep then surely DAD gives people nightmares ;)

Seriously, I too was a defender of TWINE but it doesn't hold up very well. It's got some terrible lines of dialogue ("do you want to put that in English for those of us who don't speak spy"), some bad acting and some fairly underwhelming action.

I'd use that term loosely when talking about TND. The frequent re-writes and disputes on set are fairly well known.

• edited July 2015 Posts: 14,800
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    If TWINE puts people to sleep then surely DAD gives people nightmares ;)

Seriously, I too was a defender of TWINE but it doesn't hold up very well. It's got some terrible lines of dialogue ("do you want to put that in English for those of us who don't speak spy"), some bad acting and some fairly underwhelming action.

The action is the least of my problems with TWINE. It's the sheer arrogance of his director that irks me (but DAD was even worse in that regard). Unlike what Michael Apted said, Elektra is not the first Bond villainness, she is not even the best one. The lack of focus regarding who was the villain and the criminal underuse and ultimate deflating of Renard after he was built up to be this great terrorist villain is what sinks TWINE for me. Denise Richards was an appallingly bad casting too, but this is only a peripheral problem.
    Did Apted mean the first MAIN villainess as opposed to henchwoman/second in Command?
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 14,800
    Did Apted mean the first MAIN villainess as opposed to henchwoman/second in Command?

Even that would not be true: Rosa Klebb is pretty much, alongside Grant, the primary antagonist of FRWL. Blofeld is merely in the background, they are preparing him for later, but he is not the main villain. Apted basically completely ignored one of the greatest Bond films in history, just because hey, he has Sophie Marceau play a sexy villainness who gives orders to a wasted henchman.
    Apted was clearly an appalling choice. On paper Tamahori looked like an interesting choice but turned out to be a total disaster. My suspicion is that few if any good directors were willing to take on Bond during that period. Just a hunch.
    I know they offered Renny Harlin Goldeneye before Dalton officially quit. We all know what Harlin said regarding Dalts (6.12).

Luckily Harlin went on to do the cult classic Cuthroat Island ;)
    My suspicion is that few if any good directors were willing to take on Bond during that period. Just a hunch.

Peter Jackson wanted to do TWINE but EON turned him down. Tarantino was keen to do a Bond film with Brosnan (specifically stating he would've cast Brosnan rather than Craig). So there are two acclaimed directors who were willing to, or in Tarantino's case wanted to do a Brosnan Bond film, but weren't given the chance.

I'd also argue that Apted is a good director who did a great job, same for Campbell and that even Lee Tamahori is talented (just completely wrong for Bond, or any big budget action film really).
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Not sure I'd have wanted Jackson. I am not a huge fan of what he did with Tolkein. The first Rings movie is excellent but after that the effects just take over. I think he might have done a DAD on us.'

I would have liked Tarantino to do one just for the hell of it. Brosnan and Tarantino would have been an interesting combo. I think Tarantino would have brought hidden depths out of Brosnan. IMO none of then directors 'got' what it is that Brosnan could bring to the role - I.e. An outsiderish fragility (the working class Irish lad making the big time) and a slightly ruthless vanity. I am not a a fan of Brosnan as Bond at all, but I can see how, if he'd had better directors and scripts he could have been a lot better. A missed opportunity.
    I think Bond was not the role Brosnan was born to play but the role he was born to have.
  • RC7RC7
    Many people I know or have met and spoken to about Bond absolutely love Brosnan. Only yesterday I was at a BBQ chatting to a friend of a friend (who ironically is Barbara Brocolli's entertainment lawyer) and he and his girlfriend were saying how much they miss him as Bond. I find this a lot. Outside of fan circles, where people don't dissect the minutiae of his movies, there's a hell of a lot of love for Brozzer. It's a myth that he was a failure and an even bigger myth that it is the general consensus.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Many people I know or have met and spoken to about Bond absolutely love Brosnan. Only yesterday I was at a BBQ chatting to a friend of a friend (who ironically is Barbara Brocolli's entertainment lawyer) and he and his girlfriend were saying how much they miss him as Bond. I find this a lot. Outside of fan circles, where people don't dissect the minutiae of his movies, there's a hell of a lot of love for Brozzer. It's a myth that he was a failure and an even bigger myth that it is the general consensus.

He was popular and is still. But he'd had his time and I think many people, even among his fans, admit it. His tenure was also in some aspects a missed opportunity. But I will always say that Brosnan made Bond cool again back in 1995 and that GE would not have been the success it became without him.

Just more evidence that the casual film going public have very poor judgement. Ask many people these days and they probably don't even know who Sean Connery is.

• RC7RC7

Just more evidence that the casual film going public have very poor judgement. Ask many people these days and they probably don't even know who Sean Connery is.

The casual film going public also made CR a hit.
    Perhaps people who are under a certain age but I would have thought most fully grown, mature adults would have heard of this old Scottish bloke Connery.

That is an unsubstantiated statement. I know casual moviegoers might not be knowledgeable but they are not all completely clueless.

I think the bottom line here is marketing. Any film can be a hit with the public as long as it is given enough publicity. Whether it is good or bad is kind of irrelevant. Look at Jurassic World for example. For my money that was a very average film but it's doing huge business at the box office.

DAD was a hit at the time and seemed (as I remember) to have relatively decent reviews. I admit I enjoyed it myself back then.

The general public are both a blessing and a curse.
  • RC7RC7

I think the bottom line here is marketing. Any film can be a hit with the public as long as it is given enough publicity. Whether it is good or bad is kind of irrelevant. Look at Jurassic World for example. For my money that was a very average film but it's doing huge business at the box office.

DAD was a hit at the time and seemed (as I remember) to have relatively decent reviews. I admit I enjoyed it myself back then.

The point I'm making is that Brosnan wasn't a failure, or to paraphrase the OP 'bad'. The whole thread is predicated on the idea that Brosnan is considered 'bad'. That just isn't the case. He's no more loved or loathed than any other actor to inhabit the role. Pushing this rhetoric that he is the odd one out somehow is misleading and factually incorrect.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have to agree with RC7. Connery is the odd one out, as very few people really dislike him as Bond. All the others divide opinion.