Is Pierce Brosnan really all that bad ??

Comments

I'm a true James Bond lover and I don't mean the movies..... He is always handsome, dashing and that sense of human is soooo sexy. My absolute favorite is Pierce. I could watch him all over again, and again. Oh yeah, and he's a great actor. Even if the scripts weren't good, I still loved watching sexy Pierce move. Everything about him was perfect.

The worst actor and ugliest is Daniel Craig - he has zero sex appeal. He has completely ruined my hunger for any more 007 movies. I can't understand why the Broccoli's cast him. I didn't think Dalton was good...but I still enjoyed the movies. The last three 007 movies with Craig have taken the Bond series down the toilet. They are sad and gloomy...that's not what 007 is.
    Another reason ive just thought of why I think I prefer Brosnan's GE Bond to his TND Bond:

He doesn't fall victim to "PC" dialogue.

"Filthy habit"
    "Never argue with a woman...they're always right".

Can't see early Sean Connery saying that.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    The "PC" stuff was annoying to me too.

It actually started subtly and jokingly in GE with "Yes Sir".

I never liked "Filty habit" because Bond to me is a smoker. If they wanted to stop him smoking that was one thing, but him giving a lecturing comment on it was unacceptable and not Bondian. Bond wouldn't do that.

"Never argue with a woman...they're always right" is just wrong for Bond imo.

I'm glad it seems like they seem to be finally done with this whole angle now (The death of Dench's M hopefully finally kills it for good). Bond is Bond. Let the poor guy be Bond, misogyny and all imo.
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2015 Posts: 10,512
    bondjames wrote: »
    I never liked "Filty habit" because Bond to me is a smoker. If they wanted to stop him smoking that was one thing, but him giving a lecturing comment on it was unacceptable and not Bondian. Bond wouldn't do that.

Let the poor guy be Bond, misogyny and all imo.

I always took the 'Filthy habit' as a bit of an ironic quip and Brosnan delivers it in such a way. It's supposed to be a little tongue in cheek, not a lecturing comment.

Same with the 'Never argue with a woman', I don't think it emasculates him in any way, quite the opposite. I really don't see too much of this supposed 'PC' stuff that others suggest is creeping in. I just see it as an updating of the character. I don't know why one would actively make a character in the 21st century deliberately misogynistic. I don't get the logic. He should reflect a modern man. The only misogynists I know in this day and age are abhorrent people in general.
    I see a return to form with Craig's Bond - especially in CR & SF, and I'm very happy with that.

In Dalton & Brosnan's day they were trying too hard to clean him up and put him down (as if he had to explain his behaviour for the benefit of certain women - not all). That was not something I was happy with.

As I said, he's Bond - let him be Bond imo. We have enough PC fools in the Twilight, MI and other movies.
  • RC7RC7
    In Dalton & Brosnan's day they were trying too hard to clean him up and put him down (as if he had to explain his behaviour for the benefit of certain women - not all). That was not something I was happy with.

I didn't really get this impression, although my wife did once comment that Dalton's Bond was her favourite because he didn't treat women like shit. I always found this interesting, given that for most of us here he's regarded as very Flemingesque.

I don't think you need to worry, though. His scene with Severine was enough to suggest he's still a bit of an arsehole.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I don't think you need to worry, though. His scene with Severine was enough to suggest he's still a bit of an arsehole.

Exactly. I could tell he was back due to the Severine scenes and his scenes with MP in particular. Also his early Vesper scenes in CR.

Bond is a man's man imo who loves women but does not need to explain himself or his behaviour to them.
  • RC7RC7
    Bond is a man's man imo who loves women but does not need to explain himself or his behaviour to them.

I think the key is, he shouldn't need to explain himself to anyone. At a push, 'M'.
    I like the delivery of the "filthy habit" line. It actually makes me smile a bit. It's just, when you think about it, you can't envision the original character EVER saying that - even in a tongue in cheek way.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited January 2015 Posts: 1,727
    I never liked "Filthy habit"because Bond to me is a smoker. If they wanted to stop him smoking that was one thing, but him giving a lecturing comment on it was unacceptable and not Bondian. Bond wouldn't do that.

I always took the 'Filthy habit' as a bit of an ironic quip and Brosnan delivers it in such a way. It's supposed to be a little tongue in cheek, not a lecturing comment.

Same with the 'Never argue with a woman', I don't think it emasculates him in any way, quite the opposite. I really don't see too much of this supposed 'PC' stuff that others suggest is creeping in. I just see it as an updating of the character. I don't know why one would actively make a character in the 21st century deliberately misogynistic. I don't get the logic. He should reflect a modern man. The only misogynists I know in this day and age are abhorrent people in general.

:D Hehe, these quips were very firmly tongue-in-cheek and are typical stoic, British jibes. In no way are they 'PC', if anything the 'woman' line is actually pretty condescending..!
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I like the delivery of the "filthy habit" line. It actually makes me smile a bit. It's just, when you think about it, you can't envision the original character EVER saying that - even in a tongue in cheek way.

Yes I took it as an ironic joke, not Bond literally disapproving.

Funny how several of us have had a twine/dad reappraisal and now rank DAD higher. TWINE is truly awful.
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2015 Posts: 10,512
    AceHole wrote: »
    I never liked "Filthy habit"because Bond to me is a smoker. If they wanted to stop him smoking that was one thing, but him giving a lecturing comment on it was unacceptable and not Bondian. Bond wouldn't do that.

:D Hehe, these quips were very firmly tongue-in-cheek and are typical stoic, British jibes. In no way are they 'PC', if anything the 'woman' line is actually pretty condescending..!

Exactly.

In fact this reminds me of a discussion that was had a while ago re. Silva's entrance and verbal sparring with Bond. So many people got their knickers in a twist shouting 'PC' because they were assuming Mendes and the screenwriters were trying to bring a level of ambiguity to Bond's sexuality. Maybe these subtleties get lost in translation.
    I suppose in fairness Broz never admitted to a woman that she stripped his armour from him. If he'd done that people here would have jumped on him even more.
    Yes, if Broz said that I would have jumped on him more. Craig saying it I could handle, because he showed enough of the old Bondage during his Solange and early Vesper scenes (that brash confidence and egotistical arrogance that I love about Bond).

With Broz, the lines in themselves are ok I suppose. It's that in combination with him moping around on the beach (in GE) and in the hotel (in TND) and through most of the TWINE Electra scenes that made the lines stand out to me as being too PC (especially for the benefit of women in the audience). It's the whole thing.

That's why I say I liked him best in DAD, since he was more alpha-manly throughout the whole thing for once.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I suppose in fairness Broz never admitted to a woman that she stripped his armour from him. If he'd done that people here would have jumped on him even more.

Yes, but Bros never actually fell in love. Dan falls for vesper in CR and convinces us he's really fallen head over heels . He's found what he wants - a woman he can spend the rest of his life with, so he can turn his back on his ghastly 'job'.

Dan is just a better actor. Conveys more in one scene than pierce does in an entire movie.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I'm with @thelivingroyale completely in his take on Brosnan's Bond. :-bd I had genuinely loved Dalton, too. But I love Pierce's Bond, and I have from the first in GE. And it is his own take on Bond. I really enjoy 3 of his 4 films and his first two are outstanding for me.

Now where is my crossbow, so I can hunt down that @thunderfinger? ;)

Is it that time of the month?
    No! Brosnan wasn't all that bad. He made a very good Bond. I wasn't that crazy about two of his movies - TND and DAD. But I never had a problem with his portrayal.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I want to see a world level threat, a huge fortress and a full on climactic battle. Ala Gilbert, yes.

I know this is an old post but I'm quoting to shout YES(!) I want this to happen in this era.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The only bad thing I've ever read about Brosnan is that he's a bit
    Tight with money, tips etc, Then again many from poorer backgrounds
    Are very careful with money.
    Pierce Brosnan was an awesome Bond.That is all i have to say on this topic.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Theres a guy on the commanderbond.net site that has this feverish hatred of brosnan ever since some encounter they had
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Theres a guy on the commanderbond.net site that has this feverish hatred of brosnan ever since some encounter they had

What happened? While I can't stand his Bond, I've always had the impression that Brozzer the man is actually a pretty decent guy. There will always be the odd fan who comes away with a bad impression. And no one is perfect. But overall he has always struck me as okay.
    I dunno, apparently brosnan dissed this guy Jacques Stewart and he's made no bones about his feelings ever since
    Omg, that was you???
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I actually had an odd encounter with Brosnan myself. About 10 or 11 years ago. At a Dylan show in Oakland.
    Dude! Leave us hangin' why dontcha?
    :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    "Boring Moneypenny, as a matter a fact, I dropped off." ;)
    If he had a dollar for every time a fan yelled hey James Bond to him...Jesus Christ the man probably just wanted to be left alone, hence the disguise
    edited February 2015 Posts: 17,691
    I just said, mildly and friendly, "Hey, james Bond".

@-)

You didn't.
    That's so gauche.

Me & my friends were on line for The Empire Strikes Back in 1980 in NY and we spotted Mark Goddard crossing the street near to us and someone in the line shouted "HEY! Major WEST!" He looked down & we grimaced at the shouter.

Actors are craftsmen. Imagine an architect being addressed as "HEY- Kennybunkport Bush house!" :))
    I am very gauche, Admittedly this was during the period where I had lost most interest in the films and was probably being a little sarcastic when I said it.
    That's very honest & brave to say.
    :)>-
    I get it, LOST IN SPACE guy!
    Clearly you are not a big fan.
    Danger, Will Robinson!
    :))