Is Pierce Brosnan really all that bad ??

1353638404160

Comments

  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Posts: 757
    If he's wearing a goddamned disguise, leave him alone
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,730
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Or what tough guy?
    He'll lash you with a wet noodle!
    :))
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    edited February 2015 Posts: 757
    You're a moron who isn't going to do anything either. Your fifteen minutes of feeling good about yourself are over
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,730
    You're a moron who isn't going to do anything either. Your fifteen minutes of feeling good about yourself are over
    I'm gonna have to flag this thread now. It's not very nice.
    [-(
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,340
    chrisisall wrote: »
    You're a moron who isn't going to do anything either. Your fifteen minutes of feeling good about yourself are over
    I'm gonna have to flag this thread now. It's not very nice.
    [-(
    Seconded. No need to act like that.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Posts: 1,727
    As I've said previously - Brosnan would have been the world's very best car salesman, but as it is he's a second rate actor/ James Bond
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Posts: 45,489
    AceHole wrote: »
    As I've said previously - Brosnan would have been the world's very best car salesman, but as it is he's a second rate actor/ James Bond

    Lazenby was a car salesman. Probably better than Pierce at that, too.
  • Posts: 7,506
    AceHole wrote: »
    As I've said previously - Brosnan would have been the world's very best car salesman, but as it is he's a second rate actor/ James Bond

    Lazenby was a car salesman. Probably better than Pierce at that, too.

    But who would have done the best commercial for 'Big Fry' Turkish delight? :-?
  • Posts: 11,189
    Broz did a well known Bond style ad for Diet Coke before becoming Bond for real.
  • Posts: 7,506
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Broz did a well known Bond style ad for Diet Coke before becoming Bond for real.


    Yes, that is partly what prompted the question ;)
  • ml94ml94 Finland
    Posts: 88
    DRush76 wrote: »
    No! Brosnan wasn't all that bad. He made a very good Bond. I wasn't that crazy about two of his movies - TND and DAD. But I never had a problem with his portrayal.
    Yeah, for me Pierce is the B-E-S-T 007.
  • Posts: 159
    I think Brosnan was, on all his Bond movies, anxious or even frightened on delivering a good acting. And that shows. It's like chasing a woman you fancy and when you finally got her, you have fears of might not pleasing her.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,189
    AceHole wrote: »
    As I've said previously - Brosnan would have been the world's very best car salesman, but as it is he's a second rate actor/ James Bond

    Lazenby was a car salesman. Probably better than Pierce at that, too.

    I suspect Laz WOULD be the better car salesman. He has the gift of the gab and, to be frank, doesn't have all that much in the way of morals.
  • Posts: 1,394
    Sounds like this thread should just be titled '' The Pierce Brosnan hate thread ''.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Posts: 12,459
    Indeed. That's why I steer clear mostly. Repetitive hate and bashing.
    Brosnan, Moore, they get bashed all the times it seems.

    Hard to see how a true fan could hate any of the Bond actors. Yet venom is spilled regularly in our threads; sad really.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Posts: 13,384
    Agreed, I have my favourite actors but I hate none of them. I enjoy all
    The films from my favourites like OHMSS and CR to the bottom of my
    List like MR or DAD. I can't understand hating any of the Bonds. :(
  • Posts: 14,927
    I don't hate Brosnan, in fact I used to be a big fan. But his whole tenure was disappointing.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,730
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't hate Brosnan, in fact I used to be a big fan. But his whole tenure was disappointing.
    I can't wait until I start hearing that about Craig. Then I'll have to be HIS defender of the realm...
    #-o
  • Posts: 14,927
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't hate Brosnan, in fact I used to be a big fan. But his whole tenure was disappointing.
    I can't wait until I start hearing that about Craig. Then I'll have to be HIS defender of the realm...
    #-o

    So far I have been very, very happy and happily surprised with Craig's tenure: better dialogues, recurring adversaries, more continuity, better Bond girls, far better casting overall, etc.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Kostas_P wrote: »
    It's like chasing a woman you fancy and when you finally got her, you have fears of might not pleasing her.

    That's a frightful thought really.........

    I like the analogy. PB never really settled into the role imo, and came out of the blocks in GE far more unsure than any other Bond actor (including car salesman/model Lazenby).

    Having said that, I think he did a very decent job in his last outing......it's a pity DAD has such a bad rep.

    Brozz is the only Bond that I recall whose reputation seemed to decline with time. Moore always had his haters because he wasn't Connery and because he brought such a different take to the role. Dalton/Lazenby/Craig seem to be getting more praise with time, & Connery continues to be a man-god to this day.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited February 2015 Posts: 7,527
    bondjames wrote: »
    Kostas_P wrote: »
    It's like chasing a woman you fancy and when you finally got her, you have fears of might not pleasing her.

    That's a frightful thought really.........

    I like the analogy. PB never really settled into the role imo, and came out of the blocks in GE far more unsure than any other Bond actor (including car salesman/model Lazenby).

    Having said that, I think he did a very decent job in his last outing......it's a pity DAD has such a bad rep.

    Brozz is the only Bond that I recall whose reputation seemed to decline with time. Moore always had his haters because he wasn't Connery and because he brought such a different take to the role. Dalton/Lazenby/Craig seem to be getting more praise with time, & Connery continues to be a man-god to this day.

    It could be argued that, beyond his model-looks, "sure-of-himself-yness" (what we could say Broz lacked) was one of the only things Lazenby brought with him to the role! Which I think, if true, both helped and hurt his legacy as Bond.

    EDIT: Also, for whatever reason, I feel like Broz is the most actually like James Bond in real life: suave, sophisticated, a job that affords him lots of travel and luxuries, drives an Aston... ;)
    It could just be because he's the latest Bond actor beyond the current one, but I have a hard time imagining Daniel retiring from the role in such Fleming-esque fashion. Maybe it's just me. I know I could see Broz retiring from the acting game and going professional gambler :D
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,730
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Like Connery, I think his place in the mythos and his interpretation are pretty secure.
    With respect, I think Connery is the only 'bullet-proof' Bond.
    :D
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,527
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Like Connery, I think his place in the mythos and his interpretation are pretty secure.
    With respect, I think Connery is the only 'bullet-proof' Bond.
    :D

    Totally agree, although I'm not sure if you mean for better or for worse :P
    IMO you can't criticize Connery's portrayal of Bond any more than you can Fleming's literary 'interpretation': I feel they both really invented the character, while indirectly working with eachother, for their respective mediums.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,730
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Like Connery, I think his place in the mythos and his interpretation are pretty secure.
    With respect, I think Connery is the only 'bullet-proof' Bond.
    :D

    Totally agree, although I'm not sure if you mean for better or for worse :P
    IMO you can't criticize Connery's portrayal of Bond any more than you can Fleming's literary 'interpretation': I feel they both really invented the character, while indirectly working with eachother, for their respective mediums.
    It's for better AND for worse. Better for Connery; worse for his followers.
    :))
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 159
    bondjames wrote: »
    Brozz is the only Bond that I recall whose reputation seemed to decline with time.

    I believe that's mostly because he is the only one bad mouthing the producers and his own movies, apart from Goldeneye, after he departed from the role. Well, Sean Connery doesn't count!

  • Posts: 14,927
    I think it also has something to do with Brosnan having been plebiscited when he became Bond: everyone wanted him. Except some Dalton fans. His tenure started with a triumph. He could only go down from there.
  • Posts: 1,314
    Brosnans films get chonologically worse. Coupled with the fact that his acting is frankly limited, and he has a light voice. One of the things i like about Craig is his deeper voice, similar to Connery. He also has a f**k you attitude that Brosnan couldnt pull off. As clive Anderson put it, Brosnans facial expressions are reminiscent of a Paddy Ashdown squint.

    I just think in hindsight his films are childish. DAD is risible. Cartoony. Theres some cool scenes but I dont find Brosnan convincing as a killer or a womaniser, apart from the scene with Dr Kaufman in TND which is fantastic.

    He had a knack for the odd cool affectation - mopping his brow, fixing his tie, but he comes across as more of a fop than a killer. If all the Bonds were to have a fist fight, Moore and Brosnan would be first to get their teeth handed to them.

    I liked him at the time, because there was no alternative, but after CR and SF - no thanks.

  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,730
    He will forever be in my top 3 favourites. And yes, Craig is a tough Bond for this new age, but I never felt Bond was a Bruce Lee-level fighter. He's a RESOURCEFUL fighter. He FINDS a way to win. I'm confident that in SPECTRE we'll see that again when Craig's Bond faces his Odd Job! ;)
  • Posts: 1,394
    Brosnan is my second favourite Bond after Connery.I thought he was fantastic in the role.Goldeneye is actually my least favourite of his tenure.TND and TWINE are my joint favourites from his era.Hes a much better Bond than Craig who in my opinion just looks like handy man in a tool shed rather than a suave sophisticated secret agent,
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Kostas_P wrote: »
    I think Brosnan was, on all his Bond movies, anxious or even frightened on delivering a good acting. And that shows. It's like chasing a woman you fancy and when you finally got her, you have fears of might not pleasing her.

    Interesting. I definitely think fear pervades a lot of Brosnans Bond performances - he was overwhelmed by the role. Definitely some kind of performance anxiety going on.
Sign In or Register to comment.