Is Pierce Brosnan really all that bad ??

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Wint, well, if you manage to be here long enough, you'll see I'm a massive Brosnan fan, and while I previously stated I love all of the films, that most certainly includes DAD. The PTS, the Cuba scenes, the ice chase, the sword fight, there are many moments in it that can always bring me back to watch it with lots of enjoyment.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    @Wint, I'm guessing you misinterpreted what I said. I stated that I could never despise a film in the series and refuse to watch it ever again.

I feel that way myself. Once a year, I manage a watch of my least favorites in MR and DAD. Two reasons. One, because while they are few and far between all the dreck, there are some good scenes to be found in them. And two, as a reminder of where EON went wrong and what they should never do again. Hopefully EON has a similar stance to mine and realizes the same. The other 21 films are on genius levels compared to these two turkeys.

@SirHenryLeeChaChing, yeah, I can totally accept that DAD is by far one of, if not the, weakest in the bunch, and even being a die-hard fan of Brosnan, have quite a few moments in that film that make me cringe. But, I enjoy it for what it's worth.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    No, Pierce Brosnan was a good Bond and he saved the franchise in the 1990s, but of course it's not the "in" thing to do to defend him as Bond nowadays.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    No, Pierce Brosnan was a good Bond and he saved the franchise in the 1990s, but of course it's not the "in" thing to do to defend him as Bond nowadays.

Seems to be a big thing these days, either hating on him or faulting him for things that were out of his hands.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Seems to be a big thing these days, either hating on him or faulting him for things that were out of his hands.

It certainly does, but I lived through this period and I won't allow it on my watch!
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

As someone who clearly appreciates his first two efforts, I'm not trying to inflame and certainly not bashing. I'm curious though to know when addressing valid criticisms of his era, what things exactly do people consider to be "in his hands" and what was "out of his hands"?

I think what you could fault him on are things such as fight believability, line delivery, and acting. Things such as story, scenes, the script, etc.? They were out of his hands. I've seen people complain about lines of his before, and if you don't like the line, fine, but don't bash Brosnan for it, as he didn't write the script. Like the line but you hate how it was delivered? That's on Brosnan at that point.
    He really blows as Bond.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I think what you could fault him on are things such as fight believability, line delivery, and acting. Things such as story, scenes, the script, etc.? They were out of his hands. I've seen people complain about lines of his before, and if you don't like the line, fine, but don't bash Brosnan for it, as he didn't write the script. Like the line but you hate how it was delivered? That's on Brosnan at that point.

He was popular at the time and maybe he saved the franchise (then DAD just about killed it)
    Me, I never got his appeal. Good looking, but just not believable as Bond. IMO
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Well, that's your take on him. I feel exactly the same way about Lazenby. Not believable in anything except a fight scene. He was never Bond for me, ever.

But for many folks, Brosnan was a very good Bond. I think it was pretty fashionable to bash Moore about 20-25 years ago, if I remember correctly. But of course, it wasn't done online then.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited October 2013 Posts: 17,691
    I think it was pretty fashionable to bash Moore about 20-25 years ago, if I remember correctly. But of course, it wasn't done online then.
    I never hated Moore, but I didn't enjoy the direction the Bond films took after TMWTGG. MR nearly killed Bond for me, but it was always more on the film-makers than the actor. EVERY actor (yes even Lazenby who definitely had his moments) has been in at LEAST ONE Bond movie that I love dearly. And in the future when the next Bond rules, and some fool wants to blame Craig for not being as 'good' as the present actor (whoever it ends up being), I will defend HIM like I do Brosnan now.
    Broz was excellent.
    He delivered.

Wanna piss on Judi for some of the stupid nonsense she had to do in TWINE, Anti-Brosnanites?

Ha. Didn't think so.

So there we are.
    Cool. :)) :)) :))
  • One thing Brosnan beats the other Bonds at? The voice. To me listen to him is to me like listen to music.

"Better stay heeyuh for da night... keep up the chiRAAAAAADE of being LOOOOOOvers..."

"Ahm checkin out..."

are just two of my favourite Pierce line deliveries.
  • One thing Brosnan beats the other Bonds at? The voice. To me listen to him is to me like listen to music.

I feel just the opposite. The Irish American semi lilt doesn't sound like Bond to me, it's also a little less commanding than I like, just not like those who came before. Same for Lazenby's Aussie accent. Sean's brogue was sufficiently turned down, Tim might as well be English, and Rog and Daniel are so of course their accents didn't need any work.

Tim might as well be English, and Rog and Daniel are so of course their accents didn't need any work.

Tim isn't English? When did this happen? :))

Tim has THE voice for me. Daniel is not far behind.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote:
    Tim might as well be English, and Rog and Daniel are so of course their accents didn't need any work.

Tim is Welsh.
  • IMO of course, but I find his voice and demeaner very commanding. When he takes the map and tracks down M's locator card beacon in TWINE. When he cracks the EMP code in Goldeneye war room. "No lightssss....".

To me he is the only Bond I would trust to save the world frankly! He comes across a an intelligent man, a mature adult not a pranking schoolboy like Moore and even the great Connery could be. He seems like a great Prime Minister even. I imagine woman ebing attracted to him, which I can't say for some other 007s. Just my 2 cents of course, but it's good to keep an open mine and see other opinions! Cheers mate.
    Murdock wrote:
    Tim is Welsh.
    *Steve Martin voice* Well EXCUUUUUSSSEEE MEEEEEE!

:))
  • RC7RC7
    Murdock wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Tim is Welsh.

He was born there, doesn't mean he has a Welsh accent. The whole Tim is the Welsh Bond is nonsense. He grew up in Derbyshire, as you can quite clearly hear in his accent.
    Well I'm no voice expert. I just said he was Welsh.
    Murdock wrote:

Neither am I. English accents are obvious to people closer to the UK, probably, but I'm an American, and while I hear differences in certain accents, they aren't all obvious to me, in terms of which is which.
  • RC7RC7
    Murdock wrote:

Apologies. I realised that was a pretty presumptuous post after I hit 'post comment'. I wouldn't expect you to be able to differentiate. I still struggle with a lot of the American dialects myself. I wasn't having a dig, just to clear that up.
    Apology accepted. :)
  • RC7 wrote:
    I still struggle with a lot of the American dialects myself.

I can't for the life of me tell the difference between American and Canadian accents.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:

I can't for the life of me tell the difference between American and Canadian accents.

Canadian is slightly closer to British pronunciation, or so I've experienced.
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Well, I'm American, and both William Shatner & Nathan Fillion are Canadian, and both those 'Captains' sound American to me...
  • RC7RC7
    chrisisall wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Well, I'm American, and both William Shatner & Nathan Fillion are Canadian, and both those 'Captains' sound American to me...

You're basically all the same.
    RC7 wrote:
    That's so culturally insensitive! My calm has been damaged here.
  • RC7RC7
    chrisisall wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    That's so culturally insensitive! My calm has been damaged here.

:))
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    He really blows as Bond.
    Creasy47 wrote:

He was popular at the time and maybe he saved the franchise (then DAD just about killed it)
    Me, I never got his appeal. Good looking, but just not believable as Bond. IMO

Tho im no fan of DAD i dont see how people can say it almost killed the franchise. It was the highest grousing Bond film at the time. It was very successful at the time.
  • Yep. I remember at the time Frankie Muniz rated it as the best Bond even. My how times change... :)