Is Pierce Brosnan really all that bad ??

Comments

• edited October 2013 Posts: 2,341
    I have to agree with the earlier comment . I liked Moore okay but not the direction the films were headed. MR did kill it for me. After seeing that filth, I swore off 007.
    It was not until I read an article on the upcoming FYEO and was glad to learn that EON was bringing Bond back to basics.
    I went to see FYEO and loved it. It was a welcome relief after the silliness of the previous two films.
  • Ladies and gents, Balje Jr has arrived ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 40,468
    Oh man, I can only assume with THIS kind of Brosnan love, there have been a few duplicate accounts created by the same person.

@body_my_body_my_life, how have you rated that film when it's still filming?
  • He has his reasons.
    Actually, Die another Day was okay until the end of the Cuba sequence, then it went completely south after that. They actually make fun of this movie in Everything or Nothing.
    Actually, Die another Day was okay until the end of the Cuba sequence, then it went completely south after that. They actually make fun of this movie in Everything or Nothing.

Pierce laughs at the tsunami surfing scene and Rosalind Pike comments on that riduculous invisble car.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 3,494
    6204-4972.jpg

Will you please go away, you irritating man?

Don't we all know better by now than to fall into the traps laid by these gushing, slobbering fanboys?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Well I'm no voice expert. I just said he was Welsh.

Neither am I. English accents are obvious to people closer to the UK, probably, but I'm an American, and while I hear differences in certain accents, they aren't all obvious to me, in terms of which is which.

No more than differences in American accents are obvious to those from the UK; you are right, @Creasy47, as always, I might add. ;)
    Ladies and gents, Balje Jr has arrived ;)

I worry for the world.
    @Dragonpol, now now, I'm flattered by your statement, but I'm nowhere near being always right. But, thank you for the compliment. :-)
  • Dragonpol wrote:

I worry for the world.

Balje has a better English translator ;)

Creasy47 wrote:
    @Dragonpol, now now, I'm flattered by your statement, but I'm nowhere near being always right. But, thank you for the compliment. :-)

Well, it's just we agree on a lot of things and great minds think alike!
    Dragonpol wrote:

I worry for the world.

Balje has a better English translator ;)

True, though he speaks no Dutch.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,804
    6204-4972.jpg

Will you please go away, you irritating man?

Don't we all know better by now than to fall into the traps laid by these gushing, slobbering fanboys?

"In vain is a net spread in the sight of a bird" and you know Sir Henry I'm too old a bird for that.
  • No comment.
    No comment.

Why so?
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Absolutely! I couldn't have said it better myself. One of the many reasons why I appreciate you being on the forums.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Absolutely! I couldn't have said it better myself. One of the many reasons why I appreciate you being on the forums.

Thank you, kind sir. I reciprocate my appreciation of your being here, too.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Dragonpol wrote:
    No comment.

Why so?

Because I'm convinced we've been invaded by members of the "you can't fix stupid" website and am trying to keep a low profile.

Dragonpol wrote:
    No comment.

Why so?

Because I'm convinced we've been invaded by members of the "you can't fix stupid" website and am trying to keep a low profile.

Oh, I see. Trolls and other assorted vagabonds, then?
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 2,341
    Forgvie me fellow "originals" but I have no idea where this conversation is going.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 63
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I think what you could fault him on are things like fight believability, line delivery, and acting.
    Did he choreograph or film his fights? Edit the scenes? Decide which takes to use? No.

Haters use any excuse to spout their jealousy and hatred of Brosnan. Bond is not a one-man show.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Things such as story, scenes, the script, etc.? They were out of his hands.
    Absolutely; look at Daniel Craig. Actually, don't. Pierce Brosnan did nothing wrong.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I've seen people complain about lines of his before, and if you don't like the line, fine, but don't bash Brosnan for it, as he didn't write the script.
    Good actors make bad lines work, but luckily I count Brosnan on one hand.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Like the line but you hate how it was delivered? That's on Brosnan at that point.
    No, it's not; it's on the director, the editor, and possibly the costume designer.
    @Wint, do you have any idea whatsoever of who I am? For the two years I've been a member on these forums and the past (nearly) 15 years of my life, I have found Brosnan to be my favorite Bond and have defended the man to the death. Why do you constantly argue about him with me if we're both (relatively) on the same page? You have to admit that no Bond is perfect.

...also, I'm curious as to how you could blame bad line delivery on a costume designer. When it comes down to it, that's usually on the actor. Stop being blind and refuting my points when you've no clue who I am or what I like. It's not a good way to make friends.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 3,494
    @Wint- And, I might add, quit with the snide remarks about other Bonds such as the legit current one if you don't want to see your hero get taken to task. Brosnan is far from perfect and faultless if you ever bothered to read his 2005 Playboy interview where he states much the same. So I suppose you'll be calling me a hater too, whether I think he's excellent in his first two films or not.

@Wint- And, I might add, quit with the snide remarks about other Bonds such as the legit current one if you don't want to see your hero get taken to task. Brosnan is far from perfect and faultless if you ever bothered to read his 2005 Playboy interview where he states much the same. So I suppose you'll be calling me a hater too, whether I think he's excellent in his first two films or not.

Also, as much as I love Brosnan, Craig is a truly phenomenal Bond, and I agree that he trumps Brosnan in quite a few categories, and I think if you are to praise Brosnan so much and hate on the others - especially Craig - you're going to find a lot of people taking distaste to you because of such harsh opinions with no willingness for a calm debate.

I need to read that interview from 2005! Is it online anywhere I wonder, @SirHenryLeeChaChing?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,350
    There's lot worse out there than this, in the past he's slagged off Die Another Day, sworn and in general said what was right. Who knows if that also cost him his job?

But this is an interview with Playboy from the December 2005 issue, note this is not the full thing, you'll have to hunt out the magazine for that.

Brosnan has just came across a little bitter and given his usual comments on Bond. Playboy follow with:

Playboy: Do we detect some bitterness?

Brosnan: It’s bloody frustrating that the f*****s pulled the rug when they did. It was like, “Come on, we’re family here. You talk about being a family. You know my late wife; you know my family now. Yet I get a call from my agents at five in the afternoon in the Bahamas, and I hear that you’ve shut down negotiations because you don’t know how, where or which way to go and that you’ll call me next Friday?” What can I say? It’s cold, it’s juvenile, and it shouldn’t be done like that, not after 10 years and four films.

Or this when asked about the films:

All the movies made money. Creatively, maybe, they could have been stronger, but they were Bond movies, and they advanced a certain degree out of the dolddrums where they had been. They were tricky to do. I never really felt as as though I nailed it. As soon as they put me into a suit and tie and gave me those lines of dialogue, I felt restricted. It was like the same old same old. I was doing Roger Moore doing Sean Connery doing George Lazenby. I felt as if I were doing a period piece dusted off. They never really took the risks they should have. It would have been great to light up and smoke cigarettes, for instance. It would have been great to have the killing a little more real and not wussed down. My boys watch the movies on DVD, so I see them from time to time. I see myself with nowhere to go, and it’s all rather bland.

Or this when asked about The Matador. He changes the topic back to Bond:

I would like to see this film be a glorious poke in the eye to certain parties and to be a success and have other glorious roles follow in it’s wake. When the f*****s try and hem you in with Bond, it’s great to come back with The Matador. It’s great to say, “F*** you, a*****e. F*** you who wouldn’t give me a job. F*** you who thought I was some wuss. F*** you, who thought I was a pretty boy. F*** you, who thought anything of me without even knowing me or giving me the chance. F*** you.” But when you go around with all that inside you all the time, you end up completely mangled so you have to let it go.
    Thank you so much for those very intriguing excerpts from the Playboy Brosnan interview, @Samuel001. I'm very interested in this issue and I hope to tell the true story on this as I have a way of getting into contact with Pierce Brosnan (I believe).
    THAT'S what I'm talking about. All along, that's what Brosnan wanted: a more realistic take to Bond, ala Craig.

@Dragonpol, you, uhh, wanna give me a way to get into contact with him and make me the happiest person in the world? :-D
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Had Michael and Barbara met Pierce in person and told him rather than just phoning him I think, his reaction would have been far less extreme. That personal touch and final 'thank you' would have meant a great deal to him and shown them in a better light. As it stands there's a lot of 'eff you' out there from Pierce to Michael and Barbara.

All parties are to blame and should have noticed and talked of all these errors far sooner.