Is Pierce Brosnan really all that bad ??

Comments

• edited July 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I don't ever remember him being called "the best Bond ever". But I do remember him being described as "the best since Connery" during his era

Craig is the one who has had the "best Bond ever" title.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    BAIN123 wrote:

Craig is the one who has had the "best Bond ever" title.

Indeed. I like Craig a great deal. For me he's the 2nd best and 2nd favourite but it's not hard to see why many people have touted him to be the best ever.

• edited July 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I've grown to like him too but there are quite a few who think that either he or Skyfall or both are overhyped. Just go on Amazon or IMDB.

On a personal front I know family members who don't think he's all THAT great...my mother for one.

It seems that no Bond actor has universal praise.
  • No Pierce showed what he could do as Bond in GE especially in the scene on the beach with Natalya showing he is alone and brutal, its just the next three Bond films had no character depth in the villains with PB using more cheap one liners. Alec Trevelyan and Raol Silva are the latest villains with any real depth to challenge Bond's coldblooded nature. Although I will admit TWINE had a great scene with Elektra King's death.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    edited July 2013 Posts: 496
    No Pierce showed what he could do as Bond in GE especially in the scene on the beach with Natalya showing he is alone and brutal, its just the next three Bond films had no character depth in the villains with PB using more cheap one liners. Alec Trevelyan and Raol Silva are the latest villains with any real depth to challenge Bond's coldblooded nature. Although I will admit TWINE had a great scene with Elektra King's death.

When you say about Silva and Alec they did both used to work for MI6. But the plots get bad and confusing if I didn't grow up with Brosnan Timothy Dalton would be second. Personally I think he was too big of an actor to play Bond well a little bit. But the deaths were good Carver getting cut up , Alec falling then getting crushed , Renard having the plutanium (?) shoved in his stomach , and Graves getting electrocuted and then getting cut up. Also the Bond girls were beast too during his time.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I don't ever remember him being called "the best Bond ever". But I do remember him being described as "the best since Connery" during his era

I remember hearing that one before, heck, I remember saying it myself. Like I said, Brosnan was the best commercial choice in the 90s, and because of this many people (myself included) overlooked the shortcomings of the actor and his tenure. It is only really with DAD that I saw something was wrong.
    The Bond is only as good as the story, for the most part. Goldeneye was really good, but the next films just nosedived. The China setting in TND is just wasted, in my opinion.

I like Craig's Bond in Quantum, although that picture ranks a solid third in the Craig Bond list, to me.

Brosnan was great in Goldeneye, but it seemed like he went from being an active, uber-suave Bond to an older man in the role overnight.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    If all goes well, I'll probably see Pierce Brosnan tomorrow.

I'm on holiday so I asked a friend who is a member of November Man film crew to get me a job as an extra for one day. Plus, the film set is literally 200 meters from my home.

Brosnan is not my favourite Bond, but I still like the guy.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If all goes well, I'll probably see Pierce Brosnan tomorrow.

I'm on holiday so I asked a friend who is a member of November Man film crew to get me a job as an extra for one day. Plus, the film set is literally 200 meters from my home.

Brosnan is not my favourite Bond, but I still like the guy.

Wow. I...I am jealous. Lots of people on here will tell you I, along with a few others, am one of the biggest Brosnan fans out there, pre-Bond, Bond, and post-Bond. I'm incredibly jealous.
    On Facebook, a lot of people posted photos taken with him on the film set and on the city streets, but I will not bother him with that because of the recent sad events in his life.

I'll enjoy watching him work, that's more than enough.

Filming starts at 5pm and ends in the morning, so no sleep for me tomorrow. :)
    @Superintendent, be sure to let us know how it goes, what you saw, etc.!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Superintendent, be sure to let us know how it goes, what you saw, etc.!

Okay.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Wow. I...I am jealous. Lots of people on here will tell you I, along with a few others, am one of the biggest Brosnan fans out there, pre-Bond, Bond, and post-Bond. I'm incredibly jealous.
    Count me in on that.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Count me in on that.

Me too.
    I like the guy too. His films before and since have been great. A lot of similar roles to Bond have been terrific. 4th protocol with Michael Caine, The Tailor of Panama with Rush, two great examples and of course the Matador was a nice in-joke on his run as Bond. I just don't like the turn toward generic action/Bond cliché the franchise took during his era.

And not having Dalton do a third back then put a sour taste in my mouth that's still there. I mollified that Craig is back on and still going but Brosnan had his four and didn't do as much with the role as Dalton did with two and Craig with one.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Whatever one says about Brosnan, it's hard to deny that there was something incredibly fun about his era, irrespective of how straight or silly things got. As a member of the audience, you got a sense that his Bond enjoyed his job, working for MI6. That's an element of the character I hope to see in Bond 24; Bond being comfortable enough to enjoy and live up to his last words in Skyfall; take pleasure.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Count me in on that.

Me too.

Same here.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Count me in on that.
    Me too.
    Same here.
    That's it?

Anyone want to play poker now?

;)
    QBranch wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Count me in on that.
    Me too.
    Same here.
    That's it?

;)

i call
    QBranch wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Count me in on that.
    Me too.
    Same here.
    That's it?

;)

Someone's in a hurry.

;)
    Creasy47 wrote:
    QBranch wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Count me in on that.
    Me too.
    Same here.
    That's it?

;)

Someone's in a hurry.

;)

This is the best string of comments in the history of the internet.
    edited July 2013 Posts: 870
    Guys, there is absolutely no reason to be jealous. I only got to see Pierce briefly.

Here's what happened, please excuse my mediocre English.

We, the extras, were supposed to appear at 5pm, but they texted us and moved it for 10pm. They also changed a location, it was in front of a large sport and concert hall. When we got there, the wardrobe department checked our clothes, and then we sat in the open while they were filming on the inside. They served dinner around midnight, and about that time I saw Pierce for about 5 seconds as he was entering his cabin. A little earlier I saw Olga Kurylenko doing the same thing.

At 1am, they moved us to another location, a street near the city center. The extras sat at a local café, which was a previously designated place for the film crew.

Pierce was filming a scene in which he crosses the street and walks on the sidewalk. Unfortunately, I wasn't picked to be in that scene so I was watching from the distance. The lights blinded me so I couldn't see clearly, but it looked like he was wearing a grey suit, and a woman was walking by his side. I think it was Olga Kurylenko. After that, he left the set.

At about 6am, in broad daylight, I participated in the scene in which a guy rides a motorcycle, pulls up and parks it on the sidewalk, takes off his helmet and enters a building. That guy is some young actor, I've never seen him before. We did multiple takes of the scene, I think 5. If the scene doesn't end up on the cutting room floor, you may notice me in the distance as one of the passers-by on the sidewalk.

Other extras told me that a crowd scene was filmed in an underground railway station a few days ago.

All in all - filmmaking is an extremely slow, even boring process. It takes hours of preparation for only two or three minutes of screentime. Members of the crew are all exhausted, they sleep very little and some of them work very hard. It was a nice experience for me. I may do it again sometime, but I definitely wouldn't want to do that job on the regular basis. I think I'll stick to just watching movies, and not making them. :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Cool beans, thanks for the scoop!
  • RC7RC7
    All in all - filmmaking is an extremely slow, even boring process. It takes hours of preparation for only two or three minutes of screentime. Members of the crew are all exhausted, they sleep very little and some of them work very hard. It was a nice experience for me. I may do it again sometime, but I definitely wouldn't want to do that job on the regular basis. I think I'll stick to just watching movies, and not making them. :)

How right you are. I don't think many cinema goers realise the level of commitment needed to pull off a feature. It needs an insane level of focus and even then it isn't guaranteed you'll be delivering anything remotely decent. The first time I shot anything I made all the mistakes every first time film maker encounters. It's bruising but enlightening. To make a film is one of the most difficult processes imaginable. To make a good one is borderline impossible and why we shouldn't be too harsh in our analyses of our beloved Bond films.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    RC7 wrote:

How right you are. I don't think many cinema goers realise the level of commitment needed to pull off a feature. It needs an insane level of focus and even then it isn't guaranteed you'll be delivering anything remotely decent. The first time I shot anything I made all the mistakes every first time film maker encounters. It's bruising but enlightening. To make a film is one of the most difficult processes imaginable. To make a good one is borderline impossible and why we shouldn't be too harsh in our analyses of our beloved Bond films.

Agreed. I'm a filmmaker myself but I've mainly stuck to doing shorts, and even those are incredibly hard to pull off if you want them done properly!
    No reason to be jealous? Even seeing Pierce for a second in person would've made me scream like a teen girl at a Justin Bieber concert.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    No reason to be jealous? Even seeing Pierce for a second in person would've made me scream like a teen girl at a Justin Bieber concert.

I guess you are the biggest Brosnan fan ever. :)
    I would probably do the same if I saw Connery.

Creasy47 wrote:

I guess you are the biggest Brosnan fan ever. :)
    I would probably do the same if I saw Connery.

You are correct! :)

No, he wasn't that bad. Not bad at all.
  • BigGayIslandBigGayIsland Banned
    edited August 2013 Posts: 56
    Maybe if they hurry they can get November Man out for NOVEMBER!! :))

When's the new Brozza out? November Man :))