Is Pierce Brosnan really all that bad ??

Comments

• Depending on my mood. I love them all. That said Brosnan has my favorite Bond one liner EVER.
    I thought Christmas only comes once a year. I still hear the whole theater Groan.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 11
    Brosnan is the best.... his movies just happen to you they're a life event really... Bond James Bond. He was my first. Best movie if it was a movie...... NightFire. The name's Bond........................... James Bond.
  • BigGayIslandBigGayIsland Banned
    December Man ;))
    The name's Bond........................... James Bond.
    This remark by Mr. Brosnan, certainly worthy of quotation.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Maybe if they hurry they can get November Man out for NOVEMBER!! :))

When's the new Brozza out? November Man :))
    Brosnan is the best.... his movies just happen to you they're a life event really... Bond James Bond. He was my first. Best movie if it was a movie...... NightFire. The name's Bond........................... James Bond.
    December Man ;))

A curiously uninteresting little conversation you've got going there with yourself, @BigGayIsland and @MarshallODubleOSeven.

• @Dimi- true that. Oh well, here we go again with another Forum breakfast full of Spam and Brozzer fanboys. Glad I ate first ;)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I posted this in another thread on Brosnan, but it is applicable here too:

I think that there is much expedient Brosnan-bashing and sheer revisionism that does not accurately tally with the facts by the bigger of the Craig nuts. I suppose something similar happened to Tim Dalton once Brosnan became Bond, but I for one can't remember it (and I suppose that the Internet was not around in as big a way then, either). Don't get me wrong, I think Craig is great too, but does this greatness have to be at the expense of another actor in the role, namely Pierce Brosnan? I think not, but others have their views as I know from a tour of all the main Bond forums, and I must say I find it all a little bit showy and bandwagon clambering in intent and style.

I have always meant to write a lengthy defence of Pierce Brosnan and in so doing tell the story of his loss of the role in 2004-2005 and I may indeed do that yet.

And, I'm not a Brosnan fan-boy by any stretch!
  • @Dragonpol- my reaction above was not an attempt at bashing, but when I hear gushing, vacuous posts such as these I tend to be reminded that IMHO he's my least favorite short of Lazenby. I've never been one to see Brosnan in a revisionist light or jump on or off his bandwagon, he's had his highs and lows in the role but mostly he just doesn't impress me as more than an amalgamation of those who came before. It's been how I've seen him since his debut and my reasons are well documented.

I will look forward to your story, although I have a pretty good idea what went down as there is a lot of press on the subject.
    @Dragonpol- my reaction above was not an attempt at bashing, but when I hear gushing, vacuous posts such as these I tend to be reminded that IMHO he's my least favorite short of Lazenby. I've never been one to see Brosnan in a revisionist light or jump on or off his bandwagon, he's had his highs and lows in the role but mostly he just doesn't impress me as more than an amalgamation of those who came before. It's been how I've seen him since his debut and my reasons are well documented.

I will look forward to your story, although I have a pretty good idea what went down as there is a lot of press on the subject.

Oh, I wasn't getting at you or anyone in particular, Sir Henry. It was just a general observation, really. I find all the Brosnan bashing just seemingly for the sake of it very unbecoming and I merely thought that it was high time that I stood up and made myself counted as a closet Brosnan defender, cricket bat in hand:

Dragonpol wrote:

I think that there is much expedient Brosnan-bashing and sheer revisionism that does not accurately tally with the facts by the bigger of the Craig nuts. I suppose something similar happened to Tim Dalton once Brosnan became Bond, but I for one can't remember it (and I suppose that the Internet was not around in as big a way then, either).
    Whilst it is truth that one cannot find Mr. Dalton discussions on the Internet, we must always keep in mind that the Internet wasn't once nearly so as pervasive in our lives such as and ours. I dare posit that you are completely right within your devalutation of the Craig Nuts, however. Surely that must go.
    Richardo wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

I think that there is much expedient Brosnan-bashing and sheer revisionism that does not accurately tally with the facts by the bigger of the Craig nuts. I suppose something similar happened to Tim Dalton once Brosnan became Bond, but I for one can't remember it (and I suppose that the Internet was not around in as big a way then, either).
    Whilst it is truth that one cannot find Mr. Dalton discussions on the Internet, we must always keep in mind that the Internet wasn't once nearly so as pervasive in our lives such as and ours. I dare posit that you are completely right within your devalutation of the Craig Nuts, however. Surely that must go.

Yes, and that was of course a point that I made in the post you quoted. What was discussed at the office water cooler regarding the Brosnan versus Dalton debate is another matter altogether, of which there is by necessity very little record.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Dragonpol wrote:
    What was discussed at the office water cooler regarding the Brosnan versus Dalton debate is another matter altogether, of which there is by necessity very little record.
    Back in the OLD DAYS, when most of you guy's idea of a great time was gnawin' on your popsicles & watching Bugs Bunny, older gents like I and my friends' idea was that Dalton was WAAAAY better than Moore, but was also waaay more 'intense' than Connery. Truthfully, we were not prepared for the full-on literary Bond back then.
    In '95, Brosnan was our saviour!

chrisisall wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    What was discussed at the office water cooler regarding the Brosnan versus Dalton debate is another matter altogether, of which there is by necessity very little record.
    Back in the OLD DAYS, when most of you guy's idea of a great time was gnawin' on your popsicles & watching Bugs Bunny, older gents like I and my friends' idea was that Dalton was WAAAAY better than Moore, but was also waaay more 'intense' than Connery. Truthfully, we were not prepared for the full-on literary Bond back then.

Well, I was young then, for sure. Just started primary school in 1989! So forgive my old water cooler cliché, there. I rank Dalton as the best Bond, by the way.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I rank Dalton as the best Bond, by the way.
    As any sensible, Fleming-reading fan would!
    *ducks the coming onslaught of virtual arrows from the C&C crowd*
    chrisisall wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I rank Dalton as the best Bond, by the way.
    As any sensible, Fleming-reading fan would!
    *ducks the coming onslaught of virtual arrows from the C&C crowd*

No, I think that is quite sound as a judgement, actually. You've nothing to fear from me, anyway. ;)
    Regarding the Dalton versus Brosnan versus Brosnan versus Craig debate, there is a difference I think nobody brought forward yet: Brosnan was in general enthusiastically welcomed when he became Bond before the movie ever started shooting. At least from mainstream audiences. Craig was of course greeted first with skepticism so he had to earn the role, so to speak, and Dalton did not stir nearly as much enthusiasm, partially because Brosnan was supposed to succeed to Roger Moore.

So the backlash toward Brosnan's tenure really started because we were at first so enthusiastic about it and it ended up in disappointment.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,805
    Ludovico wrote:
    Regarding the Dalton versus Brosnan versus Brosnan versus Craig debate, there is a difference I think nobody brought forward yet: Brosnan was in general enthusiastically welcomed when he became Bond before the movie ever started shooting. At least from mainstream audiences. Craig was of course greeted first with skepticism so he had to earn the role, so to speak, and Dalton did not stir nearly as much enthusiasm, partially because Brosnan was supposed to succeed to Roger Moore.

So the backlash toward Brosnan's tenure really started because we were at first so enthusiastic about it and it ended up in disappointment.

Great points well made, @Ludovico. That about wraps that one up as they say on detective shows.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Ludovico wrote:
    "What you mean 'we,' white man?"

But seriously, I loved Brosnan as Bond back then, and I love him as Bond now.
    No, he's not Tim or Sean, but neither is Craig, now is he?
    chrisisall wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Some on here would certainly disagree with that, @chrisisall!
    chrisisall wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I should have said audiences. But I know I was enthusiastic about Brosnan. I had wanted him to play Bond since the 80s. It is only later that I grew disappointed, in fact it took me DAD. My point is that unlike Tim or Craig, his casting was generally received positively, if not enthusiasm, and this was before shooting started. He had a free pass no actor after Connery ever had and maybe never will have. Modern criticism is also a reaction to this initial positive attitude towards him.
    Ludovico wrote:
    My point is that unlike Tim or Craig, his casting was generally received positively, if not enthusiasm, and this was before shooting started. He had a free pass no actor after Connery ever had and maybe never will have.
    Very good point. Still, all said & done, I'm more than happy with his Bond.
    Like I said in another thread... forum's like extended family... at first the experience of being around them is wonderful, then you meet the more obscure members of the family who are a bit lost, and you can't stand being around them anymore. Not even the ones you like. The spammers are ever so slowly doing this to me.

On topic, I don't bash Brosnan to praise Craig. I bash Brosnan because I think he was terrible as Bond.
    Like I said in another thread... forum's like extended family... at first the experience of being around them is wonderful, then you meet the more obscure members of the family who are a bit lost, and you can't stand being around them anymore. Not even the ones you like. The spammers are ever so slowly doing this to me.

On topic, I don't bash Brosnan to praise Craig. I bash Brosnan because I think he was terrible as Bond.

I know the feeling, but please stick around and don't let the trolls drive you away. That's what they want so don't give them the pleasure.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 3,494
    chrisisall wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I would definitely be one of those who would disagree with that remark. Craig is the only Bond actor who is in the rarified air of Sir Sean and Dalton as far as what Bond should mostly be as a character and how he is portrayed. That's it in a nutshell for me.

Just report the spammers and they'll be dealt with.

As much as it may seem otherwise to certain people out there, my criticisms are different than what I consider to be outright bashing. Every single actor who has played Bond has had their good points. It's when one is so obsessed with being critical of an actor or era that they will not acknowledge what was right that the line gets crossed. I'll keep saying it- a true Bond fan doesn't take that stance. That's what will perpetually make me a large thorn in the side of certain regulars here and those who visit from DCINB to stir up nonsense.

Otherwise I'm not really sure who these "theories" that Brosnan bashing is fashionable exactly apply to? It seems to me that Craig gets unreasonably bashed far worse, I don't see any websites set up to bash Brosnan out there. I was never, ever in my life a bandwagon person. If I happened to be on one or not was simply me marching to my own drum beat. I'm a difficult person to control like that. I question everything that's supposed to be "the norm" unless I happen to agree. I definitely don't see any of my views as "well, I like Craig so I'll backlash against Brosnan fans who don't". I was very disappointed with Brosnan's poor performance in TWINE, for me the worst of his tenure. I blame him equally with the script for the film being so poor. I'd actually agree that he was better in DAD, and the film's utter failure save for a very few scenes wasn't something I fault him for, but at that point what I did blame him for was not being a game changer with a clue where he wanted the character to be. It's fairly clear to me based on interviews and the like that he was entirely too passive and content with the money and notoriety being Bond brought him. Which is why he didn't deserve a 5th chance IMHO and why I was pleased that he was terminated. He set a precedent that should never be repeated. His one seeming goal of presenting a emotionally sensitive and vulnerable Bond failed because he didn't seem to have the acting chops to pull it off. How do you kiss someone like Elektra after you killed her? The bitch was trying to kill him because she couldn't enlist him. "I never miss" should have been all that was required. Compare that scene to CR and the difference in quality of acting should be extremely evident. The rest told me that this was something Connery nor Dalton would have ever done, and Craig follows in that mold. I don't see this stance as misogynistic, the ladies here in this Forum who know me at all know me better than that, so much of what Brosnan does is antithetical to Fleming and prior portrayals, or just plainly rehashes what was done before.

• edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Otherwise I'm not really sure who these "theories" that Brosnan bashing is fashionable exactly apply to? It seems to me that Craig gets unreasonably bashed far worse, I don't see any websites set up to bash Brosnan out there.

A few years ago I'd have agreed with you. But now, especially on this site, it's definitely Brosnan who's the most hard done to.

You can't say a bad word about Danny boy, he's being called the best Bond ever by tons of people, but start slagging off Brosnan and half the forum will join in with you.

I get a bit sick of it to be honest. I thought he did a good job and I don't think he gets enough credit for helping to revive the series. If it wasn't for Brosnans success the series could've died in the 90s.
    I thought he did a good job and I don't think he gets enough credit for helping to revive the series. If it wasn't for Brosnans success the series could've died in the 90s.
    I'll just add here that TND was absolutely THE MOST FUN I've ever had in a first-run Bond movie.
  • Otherwise I'm not really sure who these "theories" that Brosnan bashing is fashionable exactly apply to? It seems to me that Craig gets unreasonably bashed far worse, I don't see any websites set up to bash Brosnan out there.

A few years ago I'd have agreed with you. But now, especially on this site, it's definitely Brosnan who's the most hard done to.

You can't say a bad word about Danny boy, he's being called the best Bond ever by tons of people, but start slagging off Brosnan and half the forum will join in with you.

I get a bit sick of it to be honest. I thought he did a good job and I don't think he gets enough credit for helping to revive the series. If it wasn't for Brosnans success the series could've died in the 90s.

Perhaps there is a reason for this that has everything to do with genuine, considered opinions about Brozzer's lack of acting chops and originality as Bond and less to do with mostly unreasoned blathering on and on about blond hair, height, Golem ears, and lack of facial expression? I still don't see anti-Brosnan sites, all things considered he's gotten the benefit of the doubt most everywhere except here, where the most intelligent Bond fans appear to reside. I think it's perfectly reasonable and natural for people who favor Craig and see all the great things he's done in the role to be bothered a bit.

That said, I'm still a Connery man despite all his chauvinistic warts and so no, Craig hasn't proven to be the very best Bond. But when it comes to your last statement about Brosnan, short of continuing with Dalton I very much agree. Brosnan was the acknowledged heir apparent and the only logical choice for the role. History should see him in a favorable light as being the right man for the times. He was a popular figure and monetarily the series was revived and prospered in his tenure. Artistically speaking, I find many of the criticisms to be fair ones when presented reasonably.

• Dalton doing more Bond films would've been a dream come true, but I think doing GE with him would've been too much of a risk. At that time he wasn't very popular and they needed a sure fire hit. Brosnan was the best choice.
    they needed a sure fire hit.
    What it's indeed all about in the end.
    $-)
    chrisisall wrote:
    they needed a sure fire hit.
    What it's indeed all about in the end.
    $-)

Oh, don't spoil the fun! :)