And On That Bombshell The Grand Tour is with us what do you think ?.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes I also watch " For the love of cars". :D
    Does 5th gear exist still? I'm sure when channel hopping a few weeks ago I saw Quentin Wilson and Jodie Kidd discussing motors as they did a Bond special which I annoyingly missed!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    More people than the BBC care to admit to, probably watched TG for Clarkson, Hammond and May - rather than for the cars. I did for sure.
    NicNac wrote: »
    More people than the BBC care to admit to, probably watched TG for Clarkson, Hammond and May - rather than for the cars. I did for sure.

Fully agree and that is what the BBC are about to find out!
    +1, Everyone I know who watches it do so because of the three lads. :D
    Top Gear is not about cars. It's about the presenters pulling each others legs,
    And annoying each other. It's a comedy/entertainment show. :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    They lost me as viewer a few series ago, their dicking around got tired. But Evans could be a good choice. If the show goes back to being about cars, i'll start watching again.
    Same for Me with Downtown abbey, stopped watching long ago but .......
    If the sacked all the actors for a new cast. Changed the setting and music
    I'd definitely watch it again. ;) :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    They wouldn't have to change the music. ;)
    :))
    I read Chris Evans says it's time for a female presenter on TG, so I'd say that's
    Jodie Kidd signed up. ;)
  • RC7RC7
    They should find a woman with a PHD and mensa membership, but who's got enormous tits. Then we can all sit back and watch twitter turn itself inside out.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    :))
    I read Chris Evans says it's time for a female presenter on TG, so I'd say that's
    Jodie Kidd signed up. ;)

Then I hope she is less wooden than her last effort - that Classic Car show with Quentin Wilson
    I like to see her in a bikini washing a car. ........ Or is that awfully sexist ? :D
    Oh, come on, there's only one woman for the show :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine_Schmitz

She's pretty, funny, and knows how to drive, and drive very well. And she's been on Top Gear on at least three occasions.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    So Top Gear's going all PC eh.. This is going from bad to worse imho.....

Anyway, I won't be watching this new debacle waiting to happen so it doesn't bother me either way.

I'm waiting for the 3 amigo's new show, whenever and wherever that will be.
    Yes Me too. =D>
  • RC7RC7
    They were always going to mix it up. I don't think getting a female is PC, Sabine Schmitz is cool as fuck. Certainly more charismatic than May or Hammond.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    RC7 wrote: »
    They were always going to mix it up. I don't think getting a female is PC, Sabine Schmitz is cool as fuck. Certainly more charismatic than May or Hammond.

Yes, but is it going to be her? I don't have a problem with her actually, but Clarkson's trademark sarcasm & opinionated banter is what made this show. They are going to have a time trying to recapture that no matter what they do. He's not 'focus group' tested.....he's just brilliant imho.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »

Yes, but is it going to be her? I don't have a problem with her actually, but Clarkson's trademark sarcasm & opinionated banter is what made this show. They are going to have a time trying to recapture that no matter what they do. He's not 'focus group' tested.....he's just brilliant imho.

Oh I don't deny that Clarkson made it, what I'm saying is that this show won't try to emulate that. It'll be its own beast. You don't attempt to better Clarkson because he's one of a kind. You have to take it elsewhere.

Re. Schmitz, it probably won't be her. Just suggesting that the inclusion of a female isn't always a PC move.
    People seem to fall into two groups
    Those who love TG, watched it and loved it, and are now waiting for a new show
    With the original hosts. Then we have ......
    Those who disliked the show, didn't watch it and now are heaping praise on the new
    Programme before it's been made., and are swearing to watch the new version.
    The successful of TG was the presenters and their antics, NOT cars, it wasn't a
    Car programme. Some including the BBC haven't figured that out yet........
    ... Top Gear was not about cars ! It was about three blokes building a hovervan,
    Building camper homes or driving across America. :D
  • RC7RC7
    People seem to fall into two groups
    Those who love TG, watched it and loved it, and are now waiting for a new show
    With the original hosts. Then we have ......
    Those who disliked the show, didn't watch it and now are heaping praise on the new
    Programme before it's been made., and are swearing to watch the new version.
    The successful of TG was the presenters and their antics, NOT cars, it wasn't a
    Car programme. Some including the BBC haven't figured that out yet........
    ... Top Gear was not about cars ! It was about three blokes building a hovervan,
    Building camper homes or driving across America. :D

The BBC aren't stupid, they know exactly why TG was successful. Trust me, I've worked for them and with the TG execs on many occasions.
    Clarkson apparently wrote most of the scripts and came up with many of the challenges ( he is a talented guy) so we're going to get a PC, watered down
    Version. Hey I could be totally wrong but I give it one series maybe two with a few
    Tweeks, then cancellation. Then the Original team brought back. ;) and cancelled
    Again, for good this time.
  • RC7RC7
    Clarkson apparently wrote most of the scripts and came up with many of the challenges ( he is a talented guy) so we're going to get a PC, watered down
    Version.

Again, it would only be watered down if it were Clarkson involved, but vetoed by the BBC. Not everyone has the same double-denim angst that Clarkson does. Evans will just bring his own irreverent angle. His reluctance to mock Gypsies or Asians won't be because he's PC, it's just that it's not his shtick.
    You may very well be right, I'm no TV expert and I'm sure Chris has his
    Fans, but ( and only my opinion) I think TG is dead, it has ceased to be . ;)
    By the way I thought Clarkson mocked everyone :))
  • RC7RC7
    I think TG is dead

As its known, certainly!
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Not long to wait the best of the rest of what's left of top gear with all three of the chaps will be on BBC TWO by the end of this month :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Finland should do a Top Gear version with Mika Hakkinen and Kimi Raikkonen. Even if I don't understand the finnish language, I dare say it would be hysterical to watch!
    The British cast should be some real car fans. Boris Johnson, John Prescott and
    John McCririck. That would keep the ladies watching. ;)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-3129230/Evans-hold-Top-Gear-auditions.html
    Chris Evans is to hold auditions ( send in a video clip ) for a presenter on Top Gear.
    Brilliant stuff, if it hadn't already been done so many times before. Simon Cowell
    Has made a living out of it. :)) still it will be interesting to see what other new and
    Forward thinking ideas this middle aged presenter comes up with. =D>
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    You may very well be right, I'm no TV expert and I'm sure Chris has his
    Fans, but ( and only my opinion) I think TG is dead, it has ceased to be . ;)
    By the way I thought Clarkson mocked everyone :))

This is a good point, because of course, he did mock everyone. But, whilst it's perfectly ok to mock white, middle class English males who must smile benignly at the jokes and take it on the chin, mocking anyone else is a cause for questions in Parliament.
    I bet the BBC won't make as much money as they used too out of this show?!