And On That Bombshell The Grand Tour is with us what do you think ?.

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I bet the BBC won't make as much money as they used too out of this show?!

I agree. I think the Beeb is up shI1$ creek on this one. The show was not successful because of three middle aged men acting like car junkie teenagers futzing about (although that certainly contributed to it) imho.

It was successful because of a perfect blend of humour, creative ambition, writing excellence, and delivery. A perfect blend. All the elements came together beautifully and naturally like an early James Bond film.......all the cogs meshed like a well oiled machine.

That level of excellence (although the show probably peaked a while back) will be very difficult to duplicate. They probably make a crap load of money on this show with global syndication, and I don't see them taking the creative risks necessary to deliver a worthy successor show. They may, but I doubt it. The casual mention of female presenters already shows the risk aversion & focus group testing kicking in imho.
    bondjames wrote: »

I agree. I think the Beeb is up shI1$ creek on this one. The show was not successful because of three middle aged men acting like car junkie teenagers futzing about (although that certainly contributed to it) imho.

It was successful because of a perfect blend of humour, creative ambition, writing excellence, and delivery. A perfect blend. All the elements came together beautifully and naturally like an early James Bond film.......all the cogs meshed like a well oiled machine.

That level of excellence (although the show probably peaked a while back) will be very difficult to duplicate. They probably make a crap load of money on this show with global syndication, and I don't see them taking the creative risks necessary to deliver a worthy successor show. They may, but I doubt it. The casual mention of female presenters already shows the risk aversion & focus group testing kicking in imho.

Completely agree with all of the above! =D>
  • RC7RC7

It worked because Middle England crave television that is consciously and overtly politically incorrect, however sporadically. It's almost cathartic for those people and Middle England is a big old bunch of people.

The fact it was well produced, and it was exceedingly well produced, is secondary.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    RC7 wrote: »

It worked because Middle England crave television that is consciously and overtly politically incorrect, however sporadically. It's almost cathartic for those people and Middle England is a big old bunch of people.

The fact it was well produced, and it was exceedingly well produced, is secondary.

I agree, but this show worked all over the world. It's syndicated in many countries and is successful in many places, despite its political incorrectess, or maybe because of it.

It's very difficult do politically incorrect successfully. I think it must flow naturally.....it cannot be manufactured in a lab. That's what these 3, and particularly Clarkson, did so well. He was almost obnoxious, but not quite.... Funny, but borderline crossing the line. Ramsay and Cowell cross the line imho, at least for a global audience. Clarkson did not.

I drew the analogy with early Bond because that's how I feel about Connery. The masculine, borderline inappropriate behaviour just oozed out naturally from him.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I also think that many people think as it only looks like three old blokes
    Messing about. That it's easy and anyone can do it. :)
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

I agree, but this show worked all over the world. It's syndicated in many countries and is successful in many places, despite its political incorrectess, or maybe because of it.

It's very difficult do politically incorrect successfully. I think it must flow naturally.....it cannot be manufactured in a lab. That's what these 3, and particularly Clarkson, did so well. He was almost obnoxious, but not quite.... Funny, but borderline crossing the line. Ramsay and Cowell cross the line imho.

I drew the analogy with early Bond because that's how I feel about Connery. It just oozed out naturally from him.

I completely agree. Sometimes relationships just work. This is a trio of individuals who clicked, and no amount of production can create that, it's just a perfect set of circumstances and personalities whisked together to create 'Entertainment'. I'm not knocking them for being deliberately un-PC btw, there's something genuine behind the bravado, but it did sometimes step into Richard Littlejohn territory. They always worked better when there was an intelligence behind the provocation.
    I read there seems to be a bit of a" spat" brewing between Evans and Clarkson. ;)
  • James May has a new two part car show coming up with Ant Antsted and Kate Humble
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/mediamonkeyblog/2015/jun/19/top-gear-faces-mini-competition-james-may-kate-humble
    So June 28th is when the last show of the Clarkson, Hammond and May era will be shown!
    I must get a few drinks in, maybe a drop of that " Black C*ck" whisky. :D
    They had in Burmha.
    That'll be a hard one to swallow Dr! :-&
    =)) I bust out laughing when Clarkson said he'd heard Hammond was partial
    To some. :))
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Top Gear The last of the summer wine special at the end of the month
    Probably the last good edition of Top Gear
    In The World .
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Top Gear The last of the summer wine special at the end of the month
    Probably the last good edition of Top Gear
    In The World .

As much as I am looking forward to it, it will be a sad event too!
    And it's a longer show to finish off run time of 1hr 15 mins 20:00----21:15 BBC Two this coming Sunday
    I think they've edited the two or three unshown episodes in to this special.
    Correct Dr! As I understand it, Hammond and May are going to be in the Studio doing links for the footage?
    Slightly more than a clip show one would hope
    Well that's that then I won't say more just now don't want to spoil it for those of you that haven't seen it yet !.
    Sad to see it end, the last film was one of the funniest I've seen. :))
    So funny and sad at the same time. You could see how uncomfortable Hammond and May were. And the final goodbye was awful and no message from Jezza. Real shame!
    I Can't Belive it's Not Top Gear comming soon to a telly near you on ITV on Sunday Evening starting at 8pm who'd of thought !!.
  • Would it have killed them to let Jeremy record a farewell message?
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 12,506
    Would it have killed them to let Jeremy record a farewell message?

Absolutely! The success that trio bought to Top Gear I thought it was the least they could do!
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    I honestly thought the show was on it's last legs.
    The three dunces have basically done all they can with the format. They perfected it and it was great - but I do think it's time for a fresh start.
    Last legs, is not my opinion. The 4x4 race was hilarious, I was laughing
    Out loud. :)) still the new version is going to get massive ratings, if all
    The people who claim to be " haters of the old show" actually tune in
    To watch. :D
  • I think that after a decade of enjoying Top Gear, even if there were some episodes which I would like to forget about , this show deserves a proper good bye. I think this clip from the very end of the Series 13 fits here perfectly, especially due to the last words of JC.

+1
    Valentin thanks for posting that clip you beat me to it !
    Wonderful production great photography and stunning music that is what Top Gear was all about
    Buy the way does anyone know what that music track is called ?
  • Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Valentin thanks for posting that clip you beat me to it !
    Wonderful production great photography and stunning music that is what Top Gear was all about
    Buy the way does anyone know what that music track is called ?
    Brian Eno - An Ending.