And On That Bombshell The Grand Tour is with us what do you think ?.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sorry guys, I've tried to copy and paste the screen shot of the tweet conversation, I guess
    it might be a fake, But it's all a little confusing at the moment. This on top of Zayn Leaving One Direction. Has just shaken my faith in the world. :)
    So I have read the quote from the BBC Director General here and his first point underlines, under no uncertain terms, that anyone who feels that Clarkson should not have been fired is also supporting assault of co-workers.
    A member of staff – who is a completely innocent party – took himself to Accident and Emergency after a physical altercation accompanied by sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature. For me a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations

I completely agree with above quote and I think that anyone who signed that petition is wrong in the head.

I find it disturbing that a few people on this thread are blasé about the assualt-of-a-co-worker aspect and would love to see Clarkson on telly again. The producer is an innocent victim and Clarkson acted like a thug. He shouldn't be idolised.

He reminds me of Drax in the novel Moonraker - who thinks he is above everybody else.

Two sides to every story, whether we find out what they are? Who knows?
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    RogueAgent wrote: »

The side of the story where a man went to hospital after being assaulted by Clarkson has been corroborated by the investigation (and by the doctors at the hospital, I imagine).

The report states that "The main facts are not disputed by those involved" so I think both Clarkson and Tymon are on the same page as to what actually took place.
    I can't stand Jeremy Clarkson so I wont be mourning his sacking.
    I only hope they find another great line up of presenters for the programme.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    ...except for chronic American bashing ...and not just crappy cars which we all admit but the actual bashing of my countrymen... Clarkson was otherwise entertaining.

Seems a little hypocritical to complain about his bashing yanks when they bashed just about every nationality. That's either part of their charm or their boorishness depending on your mileage.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Sark wrote: »
    ...except for chronic American bashing ...and not just crappy cars which we all admit but the actual bashing of my countrymen... Clarkson was otherwise entertaining.

Seems a little hypocritical to complain about his bashing yanks when they bashed just about every nationality. That's either part of their charm or their boorishness depending on your mileage.

You're right ..I had a pity party moment lol.

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Sorry guys, I've tried to copy and paste the screen shot of the tweet conversation, I guess
    it might be a fake, But it's all a little confusing at the moment. This on top of Zayn Leaving One Direction. Has just shaken my faith in the world. :)

Good to see that you've not lost you're sense of humour Dr.
    It's the only way to get through life. ;)
    As for Top Gear my wife suggested last night for a new team of presenters they should get a sexy young lady in skin tight clothes to show the cars and everyone would forget about Clarkson !
    She wasn't happy when I pointed out her idea was as Sexist, as anything he would have come up with ! :))
    She hates him with a vengeance by the way. :)
    And now it would apear that the police are starting to take an interest in the case. What next I wonder?
    FREE THE CHIPPING NORTON ONE ! . :D
    There are usually some very interesting football matches in Spain, sometimes also in Italy, at that time and hour. I suggest you Brits watch more of that! If football is of some interest to the Brits, that is…
    Football o dear lord not that.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    RogueAgent wrote: »

The side of the story where a man went to hospital after being assaulted by Clarkson has been corroborated by the investigation (and by the doctors at the hospital, I imagine).

The report states that "The main facts are not disputed by those involved" so I think both Clarkson and Tymon are on the same page as to what actually took place.
    It's a statement that, as far as i know, hasn't been confirmed by the other side, so for now that's a one sided signal.

The BBC have reprimanded Clarkson before on things that, for me at least, seemed pity and small. I had the impression they wanted him gone anyway and would clutch on any straw to get rid of him.

There's not much force necessary to give someone a swollen and bleeding lip. And as far as i know it isn't really something you go to a hospital for. At least I didn't when I had one.

On the other hand Clarkson is known for his rude behaviour and if indeed he did start a fight whilst getting no opposition and still smacked Oisin Tymon in the face whilst he was trying to calm the presenter, I think his sacking would be the right thing to do.

Looking for your Oisin tweets @DrGorner I found out he hasn't got an account, he only regrettet everything that happened in a statement.

James May said that it has all been blown out of proportion and it should've stayed a little incident. I don't think James is the type to talk down anything that actually was a proper incident.

For more info:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/oisin-tymon-calls-jeremy-clarkson-5398318

All in all, especially if you see the list the Mirror came up with at the end of above's story, I'd conclude that political correctness has reached new highs in Britain and that a once proud nation with the stiff upper lip is now a group of whimpering pansies.

But I guess I'm not allowed to say that at all.... ;-)
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    DrGorner wrote: »
    could it be the programme stayed young, and You got old ? ;)

Quite possibly. Or perhaps I just grew too smart for it :D
    Though I'm hardly an old git at a mere 34, but plenty of things that entertained me ten years ago now just seem like fluff.
    :D I actually agree, it was getting very stale. With some of the journeys, a bit
    Boring at times. Although it is odd, if I sat down to watch it, I couldn't get up
    and would watch it all. ;)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    How many big stars in all spheres of the entertainment world behave like odious twats yet are indulged because they are a massive talent that make people a lot of money? Ashley Cole shooting someone with an air rifle springs to mind.

Yes in any ordinary walk of life you would get sacked for doing what Clarkson did but the BBC need to remember they are in the entertainment business and not a government department and, for better or worse, top talent in the entertainment world is allowed to get away with things that rest of us wouldn't.

Seems a bit rich to only sack Clarkson now after they've indulged him this long. Are you telling me if the tea boy or assistant producer had Clarkson's charge sheet he would still be at the BBC? Would have been unceremoniously sacked after the first controversy. But now all of a sudden there have to be the same rules for the rank and file as there are for the big stars? If everyone in the corporation is the same then why aren't there set paybands that everyone falls into rather than Clarkson being paid millions more than the rank and file by which rules he is now judged?

I'm not saying its right but in the world we live in we tolerate rock stars, sports stars, film stars etc behaving badly because we guage the entertainment they bring us worth indulging their temperamental behaviour.

I dont really understand what the BBC think they own as regards TG now. Yes they own the name 'Top Gear' and probably 'The Stig' along with that. And perhaps they have the copyright to the phrase 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car'. But they cant copyright 3 middle aged blokes dicking about in cars and without that there is no show. Jodie Kidd trying to cross the channel in an amphibious car shes built herself? Who do they think is going to watch that?

OK they've made a stand that boorish behaviour wont be tolerated and should be commended for that. However, the fact that theyve happily cashed in on Clarkson's loutish antics for years now without feeling the need to take this moral stance takes the gloss off their grand gesture a tad.
    Some Say that his Scrotom has its own gravitational field others think he only knows two facts about ducks both of which are wrong
    All we know is he's called The Wizard Ofice.
    I just don't think I will bother with this show anymore? It will be interesting to see who the BBC look to appoint? Then again they may well change the shows format altogether?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    All in all, especially if you see the list the Mirror came up with at the end of above's story, I'd conclude that political correctness has reached new highs in Britain and that a once proud nation with the stiff upper lip is now a group of whimpering pansies.

The states are heading that way more and more every day, @CommanderRoss, and for even stupider things. If someone in the limelight says something with even the tiniest bit of controversy, regardless of whether they were having a laugh or not, they must apologize publicly and request forgiveness through social media lest they be taken out by their hair and burned at the stake. That's right, we now live in a time when someone can have their reputation run through the mud, or even worse, lose their job, for simply having an opinion. Free speech my arse.

For anyone confused, this is why Clarkson gets nearly unconditional support from so many. They think by signing a change.org petition they're striking a blow against "political correctness gone mad".
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited March 2015 Posts: 1,727
    I don't particularly care for Clarkson, but then again I am not particularly averse to him either. He's never bothered me, and certainly never offended me (offense is something which is taken more often than it's given...) .
    He's a bit of a middle aged nouveau-riche git who's never had to grow up, but is at the very least refreshingly non-PC and actually has an opinion - contrary to everyone else in the media.

If people find him offensive for his non-PC attitude then why are they watching the very few items on BBC Two that he appears in ??!
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 7,500

The states are heading that way more and more every day, @CommanderRoss, and for even stupider things. If someone in the limelight says something with even the tiniest bit of controversy, regardless of whether they were having a laugh or not, they must apologize publicly and request forgiveness through social media lest they be taken out by their hair and burned at the stake. That's right, we now live in a time when someone can have their reputation run through the mud, or even worse, lose their job, for simply having an opinion. Free speech my arse.

Except if that someone works for Fox News. They seem to get away with anything...
    edited March 2015 Posts: 1,138

"Free speech" only means that the government won't fine you or send you to prison for what you say (and even that has its limits). It's not a violation of your free speech rights for people to say you're prejudiced or an idiot or for you to get fired from your job (I'm using the general 'you', I'm not implying any of that happened to bradybond). I try to avoid politics, but the "that violates my free speech" canard is so pervasive that it should be addressed. Even if Clarkson were fired for his 'offensive' comments it would not violate his free speech.
    This whole debate reminds me of this bit of Alan Partridge (skip to 7:58 if it doesn't automatically):

Firing someone for hitting someone else is nothing to do with political correctness. At the end of the day Clarkson was fired being violent towards his co-workers.

You can work with someone whose political views you don't agree with. You may not like a person who is racially insensitive but it is something you can grit your teeth and ignore.

But you just can't work with somebody who will attack you if they don't get their way.

Anyone who will hit a person for being brought a platter of cold food is a total jerk and, as I have mentioned earlier, reminds me of a Bond villain. I am very lucky to be working with nice people at the moment but I can't imagine what it must be like to have a co-worker/boss who could explode at any moment.

I really have no opinion on things Clarkson has said in the past, and the media circus that erupts whenever he may-or-may-not have said the 'N' word etc (my feeling is that if any one of us had cameras on us for hours a day we would all have something we regret recorded).

My only opinion is of this incident and it worries me that so many human beings out there think Clarkson's hitting someone isn't that big a deal.

The BBC's decision to fire him may have been a long time in the making*, but they fired him for the correct incident.

*CONSPIRACY CORNER: Who knows: perhaps he was offered cold meats as the BBC knew he would react this way and thereby give them the perfect excuse to sack him? I don't REALLY think this is true as the BBC will lose millions of revenue if Top Gear goes under.
  • RC7RC7
    Well said, @OnlyManWhoCan

I thought this thread my die off, but as it seems to be rolling along nicely I'm going to have to post one of my favourite bits of stand up. Even if you're a die-hard Top Gear fan you will hopefully find it amusing...

=)) Stewart Lee is very funny.
    @RC7 @DrGorner I love this video and I love Stewart Lee (especially the first 25 secs of that clip)! Gonna be seeing him again in May :-)
  • RC7RC7
    @RC7 @DrGorner I love this video and I love Stewart Lee (especially the first 25 secs of that clip)! Gonna be seeing him again in May :-)

Where are you seeing him? 'A Room with a Stew' is excellent.
    @RC7 I'm seeing him in the Rose Theatre in Kingston - got the last pit seat (where you sit on a cushion that you bring!)

I did the same while he was prepping his last series of Comedy Vehicle and that time it was a lot easier to get seats, but now they get snapped up fast.

When I saw him he was doing a lengthy bit about the solar system when he noticed the guy in front of me playing with a tablet. He stopped everything and ordered the dude to put it away, then spent the next 5 mins talking about how the guy had totally ruined that bit (which was hilarious and the dude totally deserved it!)