Are the Komodo Dragons the silliest things in the Craig era so far?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I don't think any of the Craig era films had silly parts. Not yet, at least. I liked the Komodo Dragons sequence a lot.

Bloody hell, did you not see the opening parachute two seconds before they hit the ground scene in QOS?

Silvas escape in SF?

In fact just watch SF again.The whole film is silly.
    You hate Craig, we get it. The majority do like him. So stop trying to ruin it for everyone else. We all have different opinions.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    But he hates him.

That's not an opinion, that's an emotion.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1,552
    What do people think about the beginning of CR, when Bond and Carter are following the bombmaker? Carter's unprofessionalism in the scene - Is he meant to be a trained agent or what?

Oh, and Bond going "We need him alive", then at the end, he shoots him anyway...
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I always thought he was a rookie, with Bond training him as a senior agent ?
    JCRendle wrote: »
    What do people think about the beginning of CR, when Bond and Carter are following the bombmaker? Carter's unprofessionalism in the scene - Is he meant to be a trained agent or what?

There's bad employees everywhere, including in MI6. Carter may not be bad at everything, but tailing someone is obviously not his forte. For all we know he may be a station agent spending more of his time doing office work.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 7,500

Oh, and Bond going "We need him alive", then at the end, he shoots him anyway...

I always thought that was quite clever. It establishes a character trait for Bond, and sets up one of the major themes of the film. Bond being a young ego, failing to see the big picture. Instead of admitting defeat he will rather kill a bombmaker they need for questioning... oh, and blow up an embacy as well! M reprimands him, and says he overlooked "the big picture". Later, in the dungane being tortured by Le Chiffre, Bond fails to see the big picture yet again, and it comes as a cold shower to him when Le Chiffre reminds him that he is in fact more valuable to MI6 at that point than Bond, because "they need what I know". Bond mumbles; "The big picture".

Its all part of the character development, Bond's learning curve. By the end of the film he has grown into a more experienced agent.
    jobo wrote: »

I always thought that was quite clever. It establishes a character trait for Bond, and sets up one of the major themes of the film. Bond being a young ego, failing to see the big picture. Instead of admitting defeat he will rather kill a bombmaker they need for questioning... oh, and blow up an embacy as well! M reprimands him, and says he overlooked "the big picture". Later, in the dungane being tortured by Le Chiffre, Bond fails to see the big picture yet again, and it comes as a cold shower to him when Le Chiffre reminds him that he is in fact more valuable to MI6 at that point than Bond, because "they need what I know". Bond mumbles; "The big picture".

Its all part of the character development, Bond's learning curve. By the end of the film he has grown into a more experienced agent.

Agreed. And it shows that Bond is not infallible: he makes mistakes.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I don't think any of the Craig era films had silly parts. Not yet, at least. I liked the Komodo Dragons sequence a lot.

Bloody hell, did you not see the opening parachute two seconds before they hit the ground scene in QOS?

Silvas escape in SF?

I'm not sure I agree with your last comment but the first two comments indeed have merit, notably in the context of so called serious films.

I'm a Craig fan, but your first two points are quite valid imo, especially in response to the original poster's claim of no silly bits in Craig films.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2015 Posts: 4,554

Silvas escape in SF?

I think you're in the minority on SF, but to each their own. One person's junk food is another's nutrition. The "silliness" of Silva's escape is based on how we interpret his plan, which is never really quite revealed. Q says he'd been planning this for years, but how would he know? And to what extent did Silva have anything planned? My take: Silva wanted to take down M publicly--only that part was "planned" all along. But he started by humiliating her through the stolen hard drive and then follow what happened next. Turned out, when she was to appear before committee, that was when he made his move. Remember, he bragged about doing anything he wanted at a second's notice: push a button, done. Same thing here. Silva wasn't one to go making detailed, long-term plans. He didn't have to.

Indeed, the parachute scene in QoS is a bit much, reminds me of Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze (rip) in Point Break. But I always took as more of an editing issue: I didn't think of it too much as a chute opening too late, rather of the entire fall being edited for greater suspense.
    It was explained to me once as .....
    Once a parachute deploys, it immediately slows your decent, so whether it opens
    1,000 ft from the ground or 100 ft, it will still greatly slow your descent. With it
    Being Bond, it was just done closer to the ground, than any normal man could. :))
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DrGorner wrote: »
    With it
    Being Bond, it was just done closer to the ground, than any normal man could. :))
    & his aura protected the girl.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    DrGorner wrote: »
    It was explained to me once as .....
    Once a parachute deploys, it immediately slows your decent, so whether it opens
    1,000 ft from the ground or 100 ft, it will still greatly slow your descent. With it

I don't know how accurate this is but even if it is, just because something is accurate dosen't make it visually, or dramatically satisfying on film. This scene could have been edited in a way that was more dramatic and more visually plausible.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Silvas escape in SF?

I am very much of judgmental with accuracy whenever I do say something about my opinion. I am not a fan of Skyfall either, but I do not mean disrespect to the people who love it. The parachute jump in Quantum of Solace was rushed, but it was promising. What's so silly about it? Silva's escape was planned. Yes, the most recent film had lots of plot holes, but they are plot holes and not silly elements.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1,595
    Well one could argue that its plot was quite silly, especially given the contrivances.

(I like SKYFALL, just highlighting that silliness is pretty subjective and these threads are rather silly). See what I did there, btw?
    Well one could argue that its plot was quite silly, especially given the contrivances.

(I like SKYFALL, just highlighting that silliness is pretty subjective and these threads are rather silly). See what I did there, btw?
    Is Skyfall the one where Jaws said "Here's to us"?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Haha! That's rather classy of you, my good friend. :D
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 7,500
    Regarding Silva's plan, I think the line "He's been planning this for years", completely ruins any chance of plausibility. I would have been willing and capable of buying that setup if it was Silva improvising a new idea after his original plan got stalled when he was captured by Bond. That would have shown that Silva was incredibly resourcefull and almost indestructable - even if you get him he always has an ace up his sleeve.

But that he had planned for years to be captured with perfect timing, escaping on that exact date, that exact time - I don't need to go through all the implausiblities do I? - is just silly, no doubt! I don't know why they opted for that solution. That line is quite disturbing actually... I would go as far as to say that the plot would have worked almost perfectly if it wasn't for that line. :-t
    jobo wrote: »
    Regarding Silva's plan, I think the line "He's been planning this for years", completely ruins any chance of plausibility. I would have been willing and capable of buying that setup if it was Silva improvising a new idea after his original plan got stalled when he was captured by Bond. That would have shown that Silva was incredibly resourcefull and almost indestructable - even if you get him he always has an ace up his sleeve.

But that he had planned for years to be captured with perfect timing, escaping on that exact date, that exact time - I don't need to go through all the implausiblities do I? - is just silly, no doubt! I don't know why they opted for that solution. That line is quite disturbing actually... I would go as far as to say that the plot would have worked almost perfectly if it wasn't for that line. :-t

I blame Logan for it. He always gets the plot muddled up and contrived at some point. He is good, even sometimes great, writing dialogues and characters. But his plots are flawed.
    Murdock wrote: »

Silvas escape in SF?

You hate Craig, we get it. The majority do like him. So stop trying to ruin it for everyone else. We all have different opinions.

So its perfectly ok to have a thread on this forum just to take cheap potshots at Pierce Brosnan but heaven forbid any of us think that Daniel Craig is not a good Bond?

Right.

chrisisall wrote: »

Is Skyfall the one where Jaws said "Here's to us"?

No its the one where Bond is shot twice,falls off a train at great height and speed into a river,drowns, and is next seen shagging some bird on a beach mere minutes later into the film.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Murdock wrote: »

Silvas escape in SF?

So its perfectly ok to have a thread on this forum just to take cheap potshots at Pierce Brosnan but heaven forbid any of us think that Daniel Craig is not a good Bond?

Right.

Learn to use the Edit function, and if you want to make a thread where you and like mindeds can slam Daniel Craig, go for it; I don't think this is it.

New people, sheesh ;) ;) ;)
    Give him a break, I still don't think you guys understand the depth of his passion.
    He hates Craig as much as I love Dalton. It's kind of scary...

Maybe you can meet somewhere in the middle and kiss.
    bill-and-ted.jpg
    I guess I misread where you were heading with all of that. I certainly apologize.
    I think I understand, but no worries as I got to post a Bill & Ted pic- never a bad thing!

Gosh, Keanu was cute. Who is the other guy?

Oh, by the way, there is a side calöled Craignotbond. I suppose, they still exist. Why not have him go there? That's the best therapie, I can think of.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Germanlady wrote: »

Oh, by the way, there is a side calöled Craignotbond. I suppose, they still exist. Why not have him go there? That's the best therapie, I can think of.

Alex Winter. His only other significant role was one of the vampires in The Lost Boys, starring Kiefer Sutherland.
    TripAces wrote: »

Alex Winter. His only other significant role was one of the vampires in The Lost Boys, starring Kiefer Sutherland.

Thanks. Must say, I never heard of him. Ah well...
    TripAces wrote: »

Thanks. Must say, I never heard of him. Ah well...
    You haven't seen Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure?
    I thought it was part of everyone's Teenage movies. :))
  • RC7RC7
    I bumped into an old work colleague this week, a Drama Producer who I respect very much. We naturally got chatting about Bond and SP. I posed him the question 'What's the silliest thing about the DC Bond's?'. His response, 'Skyfall'. He thinks CR is a classic and enjoys QoS a lot. I'm finding more and more people feel this way recently. I personally prefer SF to QoS, but this is certainly becoming a common theme among those I talk to. Silva's plan and Bond's decision making being the key turn offs, or 'silly' moments.